Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3042996 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #27540 on: April 08, 2021, 10:08:24 PM »
it's a pretty great game when you actually get to play it. kojima's dry wannabe film director war pastiche thrown in between segments of action really kills the pacing though, and i don't believe anyone actually enjoyed that aspect of the game. his hubris makes it so cringey. dude really thought he was in the coppola, kubrick tier but can't even hold a flame to andrew niccol.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:19:50 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #27541 on: April 08, 2021, 10:26:11 PM »
tbh, i haven't played it in a long ass time and i have a lot more appreciation for trash these days. keen to pull out the triple and give it a crack once im done with mario odyssey.
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #27542 on: April 08, 2021, 10:30:30 PM »
it's a pretty great game when you actually get to play it. kojima's dry wannabe film director war pastiche thrown in between segments of action really kills the pacing though, and i don't believe anyone actually enjoyed that aspect of the game. his hubris makes it so cringey. dude really thought he was in the coppola, kubrick tier but can't even hold a flame to andrew niccol.

That's why MGSV is the best. Pure gameplay and atmosphere that speak for themselves :lawd Still, kinda crazy to completely throw the fans of his excrement fetishizing lore under the bus for a final game :juicy
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:52:54 PM by Spieler1 »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #27543 on: April 08, 2021, 10:44:33 PM »

As a film director, he barely holds up against Neil Breen. 

paprikastaude

« Reply #27544 on: April 08, 2021, 10:54:17 PM »

As a film director, he barely holds up against Neil Breen.

https://www.pcgamer.com/kojima-productions-is-going-to-start-making-movies/

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27545 on: April 08, 2021, 11:17:21 PM »
Everything after 3 was really really bad.

Bebpo

« Reply #27546 on: April 08, 2021, 11:58:20 PM »
Everything after 3 was really really bad.

5 had great gameplay but ch.2 was definitely unfinished.
Peace Walker had pretty good gameplay for a PSP game.

4 was poop. Even taking out all the cutscenes, ch.3 where you're following the person has terrible gameplay and ch.4 on shadow moses has very little gameplay and ch.5 on the tanker is like one area. The game essentially has two areas, which are good but most of the game sucks.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27547 on: April 09, 2021, 12:10:37 AM »
See I don't agree with that at all.

Sure the shooting and stealth gameplay of 5 was good, but what surrounded it wasn't. The open-world felt lame and more like filler to get to where missions were happening. After a few hours, traversal felt more tedious than anything. I hate the mission select structure and the general Peace Walker 2 type stuff. Complete with a pretty boring and uneventful story and you have a game that felt like it had no focus and no momentum. There are no amazing moments or boss battles, no instances that stay with me like so many moments of MGS1-3. It just felt like such a soulless game.

And I especially hate PW. As a single-player game, it's an absolute grind fest. Gone are MGS personal boss battles, instead now you fight a tank. A tank that can take tons of damage and rockets to kill. A tank that's not challenging per se, but one you'd shoot your 5 rockets, go hide, call for supplies, and then do the cycle over again. Of course, I guess you can develop better weapons to level up your rocket launcher. So that means you'll just repeating missions over and over again to futton more soldiers. But the missions are super boring. Small spaces complete with stealth that can just be you in a corner and shooting people. Which is even easier to do when you're not playing on the PSP and aiming is nothing. The grinding comes complete with a retcon-filled story that takes more shits on MGS3.

I dislike these games. They don't have anything I liked about MGS 1-3. It blows my mind that they never made a MGS game on the PSP that played like the trilogy. With one analog stick, it would have fit the system so well.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:26:46 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #27548 on: April 09, 2021, 12:33:40 AM »
11/10 game

Bebpo

« Reply #27549 on: April 09, 2021, 02:23:32 AM »

July 27th

Since I like TWEWY, I'm down. Not sure what system to get it on. Portable is nice and VN portions fit portable screen well, but I have a feeling the city/combat framerate gonna be ass on Switch and super smooth on PS4 Pro/PS5 BC.

Probably go PS4 for the music on a good sound system vs portable speakers. Soundtrack gonna be good.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:49:42 AM by Bebpo »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27550 on: April 09, 2021, 03:05:15 AM »
Looks decent.

Man Square has really been pumping out games recently. They can be scummy and shitty sometimes, but they have had a nice lineup recently.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27551 on: April 09, 2021, 07:56:42 AM »
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1380476925811032065

A LoU remake ALREADY?  :mindblown

We're reaching the singularity with this shit.
Soon they'll develop a product and its remake in parallel.  :lol

Svejk

« Reply #27552 on: April 09, 2021, 08:25:15 AM »
It's those damn remakes.... so hot right now.

Lol they're crazy.. That's like if Nintendo decided to remake and release Super Mario 3D World (also released in 2013) and thinking people will buy it again!  :nugenix

Also that'd be like Nintendo had a dedicated team to work on Metroid Prime 4 but the rug got pulled out from under them and the project got restarted elsewhere, but it got praised for going to another more-well known studio...  This tactic is so unorthodox for Big Vidya Co.!  :ahnuld2 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:49:59 AM by Svejk »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27553 on: April 09, 2021, 08:55:23 AM »

I knew this sort of thing would happen when Hulst took the reigns.
He's quite arrogant and no one but him really had anything to say at Guerilla Games.

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27554 on: April 09, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
Sony is the new MS
MS is the new Sony

Phil da gawd

Tasty

« Reply #27555 on: April 09, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »

Lol they're crazy.. That's like if Nintendo decided to remake and release Super Mario 3D World (also released in 2013) and thinking people will buy it again!  :nugenix

Not a great example lol, SM3D World is like 30% brand new content.

Better example would be Mario 3D Collection :nintendo

Tasty

« Reply #27556 on: April 09, 2021, 10:02:56 AM »

I knew this sort of thing would happen when Hulst took the reigns.
He's quite arrogant and no one but him really had anything to say at Guerilla Games.

Nintendo leadership watching this drama play out:

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27557 on: April 09, 2021, 10:15:28 AM »

Also that'd be like Nintendo had a dedicated team to work on Metroid Prime 4 but the rug got pulled out from under them and the project got restarted elsewhere, but it got praised for going to another more-well known studio...  This tactic is so unorthodox for Big Vidya Co.!  :ahnuld2
3D World's isn't a remake, it's a rerelease with some new content, basically a port.
And a remaster of Last of Us already exists on PS4.

When they say remake, i picture RE1 on Game Cube or even RE2 Remake (basically a LoU with the graphics of 2) which is absurd, maybe not financially, but under any other metric.

And there i was, saying Silent Hill 1 didn't need a remake, because it was still quite playable with those graphics, now people can't play LoU1 because it looks too dated?  :doge

paprikastaude

« Reply #27558 on: April 09, 2021, 10:33:24 AM »
Sony is the new MS
MS is the new Sony

Phil da gawd

:stahp

paprikastaude

« Reply #27559 on: April 09, 2021, 10:45:46 AM »
Meanwhile, Shawn Layden https://twitter.com/ShawnLayden is on Twitter liking all those posts demanding the PS4 team back. :lol Who the fuck gave the keys to Jimbo?  :crazy And why, as if the PS4 wasn't great without a radical suit taking over?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:50:42 AM by Spieler1 »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27560 on: April 09, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »
Bring Back Krazy Ken. #ReleaseTheKutaragiCut
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #27561 on: April 09, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
krazy ken would never stand for the current obsession with soy fuelled shitty walking sims sony has a boner for now :stahp
(ice)

paprikastaude

« Reply #27562 on: April 09, 2021, 11:22:38 AM »
MS taking shots at Sony when the PS Store closure was announced was like a complete reversal of Sony shitting all over the MS DRM strategy at the start of last gen.

Fucking market leaders. Can't at least one of them stay consistently not-crazy for a little while? :engel

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #27563 on: April 09, 2021, 11:28:00 AM »
:miyamoto
(ice)

paprikastaude

Svejk

« Reply #27565 on: April 09, 2021, 11:35:30 AM »
Not a great example lol, SM3D World is like 30% brand new content.

Better example would be Mario 3D Collection :nintendo
True... And they STILL charge full $60 for it and people gobble it up.

3D World's isn't a remake, it's a rerelease with some new content, basically a port.
And a remaster of Last of Us already exists on PS4.

When they say remake, i picture RE1 on Game Cube or even RE2 Remake (basically a LoU with the graphics of 2) which is absurd, maybe not financially, but under any other metric.

And there i was, saying Silent Hill 1 didn't need a remake, because it was still quite playable with those graphics, now people can't play LoU1 because it looks too dated?  :doge
Didn't ND do the PS4 Remaster as well?  And now ND is doing this supposed Remake too?  Just seems really weird to me for some reason.  I guess better them than BluePoint.. Let BP do something that's worth a damn. lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27566 on: April 09, 2021, 11:40:04 AM »
From a business perspective Sony's moves make sense. I mean, why would you invest in less than triple AAA games if you try to sell a $500 console.
After all there's plenty of indie devs out there who can create the quirky experimental games but not that many studios that can pump out the cinematic AAAA+ walking simulators.
Not to mention the quirky games from first party studios seldom do as well as something like Fall Guys.

This is why the argument that is often made, that publishers are somehow 'fine' with games that have been in development forever (The Last Guardian) selling less than expected is horse shit.
Sony rolled out TLG and even heavily backed Shenmue 3 and the market answered they wanted more Uncharted, Horizon and God of War. I doubt Death Stranding was the big hit they expected.

I wouldn't compare Sony to Microsoft. As Microsoft in this comparison would've disbanded Naughty Dog and hired a few key devs to set up 'Rock Works' or something.taking a decade to deliver a mediocre sequel.
In this case the comparison that works is Activision. Activision has been pumping out yearly COD games and only a few other things. And while everyone hates Bobby Kotick, he's made the company very succesful with this strategy.

Sony knows that in 10 years they'll probably have to reverse course again after Spider Man 6 and God of War 5 bomb. But in the meantime they can steadily deliver the AAAA+ fireworks that the current crop of PlayStation fans expects from them and what sets them apart from the dozen or so competitors (Steam, Xbox, Switch, EGS) etc. .
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #27567 on: April 09, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »

Including you. :crowdlaff

Tasty

ONE OF US
« Reply #27568 on: April 09, 2021, 11:54:34 AM »

"Buy first-party Switch games!"

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27569 on: April 09, 2021, 11:58:14 AM »
Pirate all Switch games

and then never play them

8)

Tasty

« Reply #27570 on: April 09, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »
Pirate all Switch games

and then never play them

8)

Piracy is bad mmmK :wag

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Svejk

« Reply #27572 on: April 09, 2021, 12:33:17 PM »

Including you. :crowdlaff
I know!!  Nintendo has taken (yes, taken) more money from me in one month than Sony has in 5 months!!   :snoop
Pirate all Switch games

and then never play them

8)
This was my initial intention until bork convinced me not to and start buying physical games again.  :stahp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27573 on: April 09, 2021, 01:43:22 PM »
Limited Run started preorders for Dangun Feveron today - a Cave bullet hell shooter with funky music. Seems to be PS4-only however (surprised there's not a Switch port).
Hoping some more physical editions for other Cave shooters come out - Japan had an ESP Ra.De. a while back for instance.
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27574 on: April 09, 2021, 03:00:02 PM »

Didn't ND do the PS4 Remaster as well?  And now ND is doing this supposed Remake too?  Just seems really weird to me for some reason.  I guess better them than BluePoint.. Let BP do something that's worth a damn. lol
Nobody should be wasting their time with a LoU remake, for the points made above, but tbh, BP has yet to make an original game, they have to demonstrate many things past great technical competency.

Top respect for their remaster and remake work though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27576 on: April 09, 2021, 04:33:40 PM »
Just the first two levels tho I think
What

Tasty

« Reply #27577 on: April 09, 2021, 04:55:00 PM »
Pirate all Switch games

and then never play them

8)

Piracy is bad mmmK :wag

Disagree, piracy is pretty awesome imo

:(

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27578 on: April 09, 2021, 06:36:47 PM »
(digital) Piracy is a net positive for humanity.  ::)
Small creators will need to nurture a trusted clientele either way.
Big corporations could use a balancing force to their greed.

Doesn't mean that every act of piracy is good, of course.  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #27579 on: April 09, 2021, 06:47:17 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27580 on: April 09, 2021, 06:56:39 PM »
Not having to rebuy a second hand copy of Demon Souls just ftp that bitch over

Soul of the mind key to life's ether

Preserve my nuts sony
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27581 on: April 09, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
Just the first two levels tho I think
No the code unlocks the entire game. One of the devs said that technically multiplayer would be possible
🤴

Quaker

« Reply #27582 on: April 09, 2021, 07:05:51 PM »
https://twitter.com/taskbaarchitect/status/1380577110025240576

(Image removed from quote.)

:ohhh
Sounds like it's crash prone and a pretty janky on PC.

People would be better off cutting the bullshit and running a copy of the original game from the Internet Archive through Dolphin instead(comfy couch gamers excluded) and thinking of their $5 purchase of Homefront as a goodwill gesture to show The Embracer Group that there's still interest in the franchise.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27583 on: April 09, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #27584 on: April 09, 2021, 07:50:53 PM »
Lol I’m not playing through a majority of homefront revolution just to replay timesplitters 2, no matter how much I miss it.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27585 on: April 10, 2021, 04:24:54 AM »

Hey i don't pirate games (mostly out of habit, and also they're always dirt cheap anyway) but as it stands, it's good that the option is there, for many reasons.
It's up to the ethical standard of each person to do the right thing on an individual scale, but if i look at the larger picture, that's what i see.
Also if you want to play XYZ from 2 generations ago and it's only obtainable at 200$ on ebay, i think you'd have to be brainwashed to think that's the only recourse, instead of just torrenting the damn thing.
And people using that argument to claim that it hurts mr. indie developer, are pretending all acts of piracy are just the same, which is bullshit.

All of this in MINECRAFT, of course.  ::)

Rman

« Reply #27586 on: April 10, 2021, 09:09:59 AM »

July 27th

Since I like TWEWY, I'm down. Not sure what system to get it on. Portable is nice and VN portions fit portable screen well, but I have a feeling the city/combat framerate gonna be ass on Switch and super smooth on PS4 Pro/PS5 BC.

Probably go PS4 for the music on a good sound system vs portable speakers. Soundtrack gonna be good.

don't you have a switch dock? i'm leaning switch for now as i prefer jrpgs on portable these days. 

Tasty

« Reply #27587 on: April 10, 2021, 10:48:35 AM »

Hey i don't pirate games (mostly out of habit, and also they're always dirt cheap anyway) but as it stands, it's good that the option is there, for many reasons.
It's up to the ethical standard of each person to do the right thing on an individual scale, but if i look at the larger picture, that's what i see.
Also if you want to play XYZ from 2 generations ago and it's only obtainable at 200$ on ebay, i think you'd have to be brainwashed to think that's the only recourse, instead of just torrenting the damn thing.
And people using that argument to claim that it hurts mr. indie developer, are pretending all acts of piracy are just the same, which is bullshit.

:)

Bebpo

« Reply #27588 on: April 11, 2021, 02:18:25 AM »
Played MH Rise tonight with a friend on discord voice chat. Made me remember, as someone that rarely plays MP, that I cannot have a conversation with people and play a game at the same time. Like I can only focus on one thing. So either the game has to be autopilot grind and I'm just chatting or I'm focusing on the game and just kinda nodding my way through the conversation not really paying attention.

I like MH with randoms because you jump into the quest and throw up an emoji sticker and then just do the fight and watch the wacky MP hijinks and then you win and everyone throws up the emoji stickers and you move on.

In FF14 you join a dungeon/raid and you say "Hi Hi \o/" and then everyone says Hi and then you don't talk at all and just play the game and then you win and everyone says "gg" or "tyfp" and that's it.

I like non-talky MP only. This is probably also why I don't like Discord. Seems too talky.

I think also maybe that not everyone games like me and gets really hyper-focused on whatever they're playing. I zone the fuck out when I play games and that's why they're good escapism. I can't passively play games without actually focusing full attention on them.

naff

« Reply #27589 on: April 11, 2021, 07:09:28 PM »

100%

no-one with the financial means is bothering to pirate software unless it's an ideological crusade or you're tight af and then you're a hypocrite to benefit from a capitalist system while depriving others of those benefits. "piracy" is the only way our digital heritage can be safeguarded when the entities controlling media have no interest in it's storage beyond whether it will contribute to their bottom line. 

i pirate a lot of film because distribution is fucked though.

criterion? not available here
mubi? nice for a little curation but i usually want to watch something specific they no longer host
disc based? $100 on amazon with a 2 week shipping time
netflix/prime/disney etc? sure, i pay for these services but their collections are pretty meager.

there's also the well known stats that those who are pirating media generally look for it on an above board service first and spend more on media than people who don't aka basics that sub to service or two and aren't actively looking for content. it's a truly victimless crime. people hand wringing about it are shills
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:17:42 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27590 on: April 12, 2021, 08:41:26 AM »
I dont understand why EA hasnt made Army of Four yet, I know Army of Three doesnt exist but just make a coop game for four people and name it Army of Four
What

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #27591 on: April 12, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »
Imagine setting copyright expiry to like 15 years and then the entire MyAbandonware library gets dumped on GOG.

:dsp

:heartbeat Pirates :heartbeat

:piss Butthurt rights holders that can't even agree to split some meagre tendies  :piss2
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27592 on: April 12, 2021, 01:59:55 PM »
I stopped being a PC pirate when Steam got big and made everything much easier.
Llikewise what Spotify did for Music. Console piracy is something I stopped bothering with when the Virtual Console became a thing.

As far as movies go, it's still a 'mess'. I'm not paying for Disney Plus just to see the odd Marvel release.
HBO Max isn't available here yet. My TV/Internet provider has a deal for select HBO stuff but their interface is shit.
For things I want in high quality I prefer 4K Blu-Ray's. Nothing beats those since a lame COVID excuse capped streaming services to 1080p

🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #27593 on: April 12, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »
Piracy just has to do with means & ease.

There's probably a graph out there showing as items become relatively detrimentally expensive (compared to income/savings), people are willing to spend more time & effort pirating. If something doesn't cost much and it's easy to obtain legitimately, most people won't waste the time and will pay for it.

Like kids pirate everything, because kids have very little money, and that's fine. When I was in high school there'd be that one kid selling burns of every PS1 game for $3 each at lunchtime and he was the like the school drug dealer of the era. Hell, in shop class we used to hook up a hacked PS1 and play Tekken for the last 10-15 mins of class each day because the teacher didn't mind.

I think piracy is generally fine because most of the people that pirate stuff aren't going to spend money on the stuff anyhow. I know a lot of people that still pirate movies, but pretty sure if they couldn't pirate them they still wouldn't be paying to see them in the theater or video on demand and would just watch them when they came to a streaming service they have.

Though I also think rich ass people that still pirate everything are weirdos. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, just they are bizarrely weird. Like if you're making six figures+, penny pinching the $1,000 a year you're saving bootlegging everything is  :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27594 on: April 12, 2021, 04:12:07 PM »
The problem with movies isn't even if you want to see Godzilla v Kong or whatever is coming out now in a big way.

For niche releases and especially old films, it's almost impossible to find some stuff in digital stores, in some regions, and when you do, often times the quality is abysmal, or they're only dubbed, or they have broken subtitles.

You type "Bergman" in Amazon Prime, they have a dozen or so results, but only 2 or 3 are available in my region, and then they're only dubbed.
And we're still talking about one of the most famous directors in cinema's history.
Wanted to watch The Fifth Season, everywhere it's just the dubbed version.

With even more niche products, you either hope to find a shitty quality dvd, or hope Mubi will host it right in the month you're ready.
Or how hard they made it to get Bondarchuck's War & Peace in a decent quality (all dvds in my region are reportedly fucked up) when the pirated version is pretty much fine.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27595 on: April 13, 2021, 01:19:40 AM »
I can't find a legal copy of even Godzilla vs Biolante.

When even movies in a well-known series have accessibility problems, I'm not sure movies are the best example.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27596 on: April 13, 2021, 06:17:27 AM »
You mean they're a great example.
But for games, things are even worse, when so many (old) games need fan patching and attention to even run.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27597 on: April 13, 2021, 09:47:04 AM »
Over the past month I've been looking to get a new monitor for use as a secondary display and for console gaming.  Been  using an LG 27GL850-B 144hz 1440P monitor as my primary display since last year and it's absolutely fantastic.  So I decided to take advantage of Costco and Amazon's generous return policies and MONITOR MANIA HAS BEEN RUNNING WILD, BROTHER.
 :hulk

Tried:

-ACER VG280K: This was Digital Foundry's pick for best 4K monitor for console gaming.  It's 60hz, but I was fine with that.    It just didn't look or perform as well as the 27GL850-B and with consoles hooked up, I saw no difference between this and 1440P.  4K seems kind of wasted on monitors under 32".

-Razer Raptor: Despite having nearly the same specs as my 27GL850-B, this monitor costs almost $300 more with current prices.  It's a 27" 1440P monitor that costs a whopping $700+.  This is kind of like the "luxury car" of monitors- the build quality is insane and except for the bezels, the monitor is almost entirely made of metal (with a felt material on the back).  The stand is amazing and made to easily hide all cables, which are all flat with right-angle ends.  There is an issue with getting the cables slotted in and people have reported damaging them when doing this or removing them.  I was really impressed with this monitor except for one problem- it fried my eyeballs just looking at it!  Could not find anything in the settings to stop it from giving me severe eye strain when using it normally.  Games really did look great though.

-LG 27GL850-B: Yup, a second one!  This monitor is great for console games because it can take a 4K signal and downscale to 1440P.  So no issues with a PS4 Pro or PS5, and it can apparently even do 120 fps on PS5, albeit at 1080P only as it's only got HDMI 2.0 ports.  Would highly recommend this if you're looking for a 27" panel.  Pretty much zero complaints.

-Samsung Odyssey G7 (32" version): This is a VA panel.  I generally go for IPS for the better viewing angles, less ghosting/blur, and colors, but this monitor is the current number one pick for best gaming monitor on a number of sites including RTINGS, so wanted to check out it.  Samsung is using some kind of new tech for this and while there's noticeable color distortion when looking at it from an angle, the monitor feels very IPS-like to me and I saw no noticeable ghosting.  This monitor also has an insane 1000R curve which may be off-putting.  When playing games, I didn't mind it at all and it helped make things more immersive, but it did look a bit weird at times when using the web.  There's a very large number of people out there citing all kinds of QA issues with this monitor and reporting flickering issues, which are supposed to have been resolved from a firmware update.  FWIW, mine had none of these issues and was on a higher firmware than I saw people mention, but even then, I did notice the screen change brightness on its own occasionally (with all auto settings off) and it takes a noticeably longer time than any other monitor I've tried to wake up.  32" also seems to be a bit too large for 1440P.  Games are not a problem here, but outside of that, text is a but fuzzier and I just prefer the sharper look of a 27" 1440P panel.  It really is the sweet spot for that resolution.

Was going to likely keep the extra LG in the end, but then I got a crazy bonus at work for everything that happened last year, so decided to splurge and ordered an LG CX 48" TV instead.  I'm not going to even attempt to use this as a monitor proper, (it's way, way too big for that.  Have seen videos of people trying and I just can't see that being comfortable, plus there's a risk of burn-in)  but it should work out great for console gaming and 4K 120hz gaming from my PC with 3080 via HDMI 2.1.

:itagaki
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #27598 on: April 13, 2021, 10:04:11 AM »
Are you sure you'll be fine 48"? I have a 55" LG E8 and although it's great, I wish I had a 65" for the space that I'm in now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27599 on: April 13, 2021, 10:31:04 AM »
Are you sure you'll be fine 48"? I have a 55" LG E8 and although it's great, I wish I had a 65" for the space that I'm in now.

TBH I'm concerned that 48" will be too big!  :lol  Don't have a lot of room to spare in this space.  Measured it out and it should just fit into a corner area adjacent to my desk, but I'm going to have to clear out a space for it to sit on.  Previously had a 55" TCL in here and always found it to be too big for this space.
ど助平