Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1301970 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: International Politics Thread - The Hundred Years' Brexit
« Reply #6061 on: April 21, 2019, 03:16:29 AM »
A string of bombs went off in hotels and churches celebrating Easter over in Sri Lanka. Over a hundred killed.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6062 on: April 21, 2019, 05:44:08 AM »
This is nuts, an explosion at the zoo as well. Bringing the total number of targets hit to 8 and people are still reporting suspicious packages elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1119893341473128448
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6063 on: April 21, 2019, 06:54:03 AM »
Police officers were killed in the seventh and eighth blast. Authorities say those new explosions might be provoked by those "on the run" who they claim have been identified, implying suicide vests or something similar.
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6065 on: April 21, 2019, 02:19:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/Kateryna_Kruk/status/1120009784080707584

Get fucked porky  :bowsette

Slowly but surely the trolls and clowns are winning and taking back control from the bureaucrats  8)
2 countries down 193 to go.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:31:56 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #6066 on: April 21, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »
This is nuts, an explosion at the zoo as well. Bringing the total number of targets hit to 8 and people are still reporting suspicious packages elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1119893341473128448

Now they went too far.  :maf

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6067 on: April 21, 2019, 05:10:53 PM »
Apparently the guy who planned it had an extremist YouTube channel.

Also why does every islamic terrorist have to dress and act like they walked straight out of Dick Cheney's nightmares.
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6068 on: April 21, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »
This is the best, Imagine if this guy actually ends up in the EU parliament (and he will).
Sargon (rather appropriately) joined a dying party, even in UK EU politics. Brexit Party is where all the prominent UKIP folks hopped to. UKIP as was a year ago wouldn't even let Sargon appear at their events after they met him once. His whole bragging about how he owns a suit was for a UKIP event like six months ago. (Which is where all the waiter memes spawned from.) Sargon's corresponding ascent within it is probably the best illustrator of how far UKIP is falling as an entity. Even for messed up British politics.

benjipwns

« Reply #6069 on: April 21, 2019, 08:27:48 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6070 on: April 22, 2019, 06:35:17 AM »
Carlos Ghosn under a fourth indictment in Japan. :dead
There's been plenty of fascinating talk around all that (A suspected play by Nissan to stop further alliance integration/merger) and the political ramifications but it's getting harder and harder for him to spin this as a conspiracy.
 :girlaff
ὕβρις

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6071 on: April 22, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
Quote from: Times
The Trump administration moved to broaden Iran’s economic isolation on Monday by announcing it would fully enforce sanctions that were imposed last fall and stop allowing five large nations to buy Iranian oil. Global oil prices rose even before the announcement in Washington, increasing the specter of a surge in oil and gasoline prices.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States would no longer grant oil waivers to China and India, Iran’s two largest customers. The decision would also end waivers for Japan, South Korea and Turkey, all American allies or partners.

Was Europe not buying Iranian oil even after the Iran Deal? Also, I'm skeptical the US would ever penalize businesses in Japan or South Korea.
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6072 on: April 22, 2019, 02:39:38 PM »
Trump admin will not renew any exemptions they "allowed" for countries importing Iranian oil. This concerned China, India, Turkey, Japan, South Korea. China and Turkey already started giving the middle finger (under, I'd imagine, the threats of US sanctions), even South Korea have put out a statement they'll seek a renewal at all costs and oil prices are starting to rise, as Venezuela is spiraling out and Libya in a potential civil war scenario.

Thanks Bolton :salute
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6073 on: April 22, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »
Quote from: Times
The Trump administration moved to broaden Iran’s economic isolation on Monday by announcing it would fully enforce sanctions that were imposed last fall and stop allowing five large nations to buy Iranian oil. Global oil prices rose even before the announcement in Washington, increasing the specter of a surge in oil and gasoline prices.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States would no longer grant oil waivers to China and India, Iran’s two largest customers. The decision would also end waivers for Japan, South Korea and Turkey, all American allies or partners.

Was Europe not buying Iranian oil even after the Iran Deal? Also, I'm skeptical the US would ever penalize businesses in Japan or South Korea.

In 2016, almost two thirds of the extra-EU's crude oil imports came from Russia (32 %), Norway (12 %), Nigeria and Saudi Arabia (both 8 %) and Kazakhstan (7 %).

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/cache/infographs/energy/bloc-2c.html

I guess Russian, Kazakh and obviously Norway have much better, shorter delivery networks to Europe. Buying Iranian oil was probably not worth the gesture with the added cost of US sanctions looming. European companies were, AFAIK, interested in massively investing in Iran as a market and for it's educated workforce. Probably as partners in extracting oil too.

Edit:
You'll find Iran numbers here. It was cut from a decent size to nothing, probably over the nuclear sanctions. I guess there never was a window to resume this.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=File:Crude_oil_imports_by_country_of_origin,_EU-28,_2000-2016_(Mt)_T.png
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:55:41 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6074 on: April 22, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »
This weeks diplomatic efforts by the Trump Administration

Iran

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Europe

Venezuela

China

Israel

[close]
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #6075 on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »
Carlos Ghosn under a fourth indictment in Japan. :dead
There's been plenty of fascinating talk around all that (A suspected play by Nissan to stop further alliance integration/merger) and the political ramifications but it's getting harder and harder for him to spin this as a conspiracy.
 :girlaff

I'm sure the Japanese government and Nissan are gunning for him. I'm also sure that Ghosn has done enough shady and outright illegal shit that he's getting slammed because he fucked up by pushing for a merger nobody but him wanted.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6076 on: April 23, 2019, 02:11:28 AM »
I don't think he was the only one in favour of a closer alliance and more steps towards a merger, at least on the French side. I believe some bloke from the French Ministry of Economy met with Nissan higher ups shortly before this all exploded with a plan for the next steps in integration. I've heard an observer surmise that the real issue is that the French government still has shares in Renault. Nissan has a reputation of being very close to the Japan government (it was picked to heavily invest into the Mandchoukouo at the behest of the policies helmed by Shinzo Abe's grandfather) but it's all unofficial. He is largely isolated though, for better or for worse he never played the French game of high end politics + economics, didn't take advice from ministries and had his own way of doing things.

I'm sure a lot of the accusations have truth to them, what's been out already (like using Versailles castle for his wedding and not raising an eyebrow to the renting being "free" or "gifted" by Renault funds) doesn't do much to dispel the image of slight megalomania* too used of ruling the whole thing as his personal fief. I'm sure Renault and Nissan discovering all those non accounted for / funneled funds right now is convenient but that doesn't have a bearing on the fact it was inappropriate and illegal.

Last I heard, the new Renault CEO has been very conciliatory and one of Nissan top execs reaffirmed the autonomy of brands within the alliance. So everything has been put on the backburner for some time.

* His wife wrote an op-ed in the WashPo and calls for the help of Trump that will meet Abe soon, for some reason (...well for the reason that French authorities are not willing to go beyond principle statements that rights of the accused have to be respected). Japanese justice is all around pretty harsh, but you know, it's not exactly endearing to try to curry political favor to ease judges in that sort of context.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:29:12 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6077 on: April 23, 2019, 09:21:40 AM »

::)

:teehee

« Reply #6078 on: April 23, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »
I think you will find Haman wasn't an eye-ranian  :snob

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6079 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
that's why it says Irnanian  ;)

shosta

« Reply #6080 on: April 23, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
holy shit at that video
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #6081 on: April 23, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »
It‘s almost like Poland never addressed their own anti-semitism under German occupation and used it as a shield and even forbade any discussion of Polish collaboration by law, weird.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #6082 on: April 23, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »
Great article from the ABC political editor about political discourse on Twitter.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-24/federal-election-sees-voters-turn-on-journalists-on-twitter/10984688?pfmredir=sm

"Twitter is a peanut gallery of hyper-partisan tools," Uhlmann laments.

"Unless you conform to their biases and beat to the death the people they hate, you're obviously not doing your job."

"Engaging with most of the people on Twitter is an express train to hell. No good comes of it."

"Emotion gets the better of people and it's the social media equivalent of watching a bar room brawl."

While the hyper-partisans are alert to any perceived "bias", Uhlmann believes one side is way more offensive than the other.

"While one of the memes of the early 21st century is the rise of the aggressive right, the emergence of what I would call the "post-Christian left" is much more of a worry," he said.

"They are the moralisers-in-chief and can be absolutely vicious."
Spud

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6083 on: April 23, 2019, 07:51:24 PM »

get fucked canada

shosta

« Reply #6084 on: April 23, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
"I will declare war against them. I will advise Canada that your garbage is on the way. Prepare a grand reception. Eat it if you want to," he said. "Your garbage is coming home."
that's fuckin awesome actually
每天生气

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6085 on: April 24, 2019, 02:16:06 AM »
Justin shaking rn.

jorma

« Reply #6086 on: April 24, 2019, 06:54:05 AM »
Justin shaking rn.

Duterte is all bluster, no chance he has the power to ship biebs back to Canada.

shosta

« Reply #6087 on: April 24, 2019, 11:20:13 PM »
I missed the deadline to vote in the Philippines national election... by six months  :doge

California spoiled me.
每天生气

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6088 on: April 25, 2019, 08:05:10 AM »
I love EU ballots. This thing is two feet long. :lol

BisMarckie

« Reply #6089 on: April 25, 2019, 08:19:35 AM »
I love EU ballots. This thing is two feet long. :lol

I haven‘t gotten my voter invite yet.
Not that I planned on voting anyway, but it would have been nice if they asked. :hmph

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6090 on: April 25, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »
No EU voting material here yet either. Although it usually arrives only a week before the election.

VOTER SURPRESSION!

Oh Macron(would be a great name for a Netflix show btw)
https://twitter.com/SylvieKauffmann/status/1121464038100230144
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6092 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:22 PM »
🤴

Tripon

benjipwns

« Reply #6094 on: April 27, 2019, 09:24:18 PM »
that last one raises two distinctly different questions

BisMarckie

« Reply #6095 on: April 27, 2019, 09:31:39 PM »
Mark Ellis quits One Nation after alleged threats to kill employee revealed

benjipwns

« Reply #6096 on: April 27, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »
"Attempted murder", now honestly, what is that!? Do they give a Nobel prize for "attempted" chemistry?

BisMarckie

« Reply #6097 on: April 27, 2019, 09:36:53 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #6098 on: April 27, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
The three boys, aged 12, 13, and 14, were ordered into a police car by the six officers in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley. Each boy was driven in a separate patrol car to a swampy area in Pinkenba, Queensland. The officers threatened to throw the boys into the swampy wasteland, and referred to a place where people's fingers were cut off, in order to get them to comply with their demands. The boys were abandoned after their shoes were removed. The boys later retrieved their shoes and began to walk home. They finished the journey in a taxi paid for by a security guard they met along the way.

Police later admitted that the boys had not previously committed any crimes but were taken to deter them from committing any crimes or being a public nuisance.

Following an investigation by the Criminal Justice Commission, the Public Prosecutor laid charges against the police for deprivation of liberty. The charges were later dropped after a magistrate found the boys agreed to go with the police officers, but the police officers were put on probation for one year by the police service, not as a court sentence.
Oh, oh, oh, Mark Ellis. You've come to the wrong neighborhood with your claims of the state being a legitimate monopoly on the use of force, buddy.

shosta

« Reply #6099 on: April 27, 2019, 09:43:48 PM »
Police later admitted that the boys had not previously committed any crimes but were taken to deter them from committing any crimes or being a public nuisance.
our entire society would fall apart without the coming of age kidnapping
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6101 on: April 28, 2019, 10:52:23 AM »
German press decided to sum up all the terror attacks over the last 18 years. 31 000 attacks, 148 000 deaths Yikes
https://twitter.com/c_kensche/status/1122199713770553344

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

🤴

jorma

« Reply #6102 on: April 28, 2019, 12:30:57 PM »
The three boys, aged 12, 13, and 14, were ordered into a police car by the six officers in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley. Each boy was driven in a separate patrol car to a swampy area in Pinkenba, Queensland. The officers threatened to throw the boys into the swampy wasteland, and referred to a place where people's fingers were cut off, in order to get them to comply with their demands. The boys were abandoned after their shoes were removed. The boys later retrieved their shoes and began to walk home. They finished the journey in a taxi paid for by a security guard they met along the way.

Following an investigation by the Criminal Justice Commission, the Public Prosecutor laid charges against the police for deprivation of liberty. The charges were later dropped after a magistrate found the boys agreed to go with the police officers, but the police officers were put on probation for one year by the police service, not as a court sentence.
Oh, oh, oh, Mark Ellis. You've come to the wrong neighborhood with your claims of the state being a legitimate monopoly on the use of force, buddy.

aka a standard practice for stockholm police to deal with suspected potential hooliganism  :trumps

they don't ever ask if you willingly want to be dumped 2 hours outside of the city though

shosta

« Reply #6103 on: April 28, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
More Gatwick drone drama. When will you sheep open your eyes?
每天生气

Tripon

« Reply #6104 on: April 28, 2019, 07:36:29 PM »

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
bent

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6108 on: April 30, 2019, 12:46:20 AM »
It‘s almost like Poland never addressed their own anti-semitism under German occupation and used it as a shield and even forbade any discussion of Polish collaboration by law, weird.

"If it wasnt for the Germans we'd still be sweeping streets for the jews" - One of my grandpas (rip)

"He is a jew, but a good one" -the other grandpa (rip)

Polacks blaming jews for ww2 is a classic
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:50:45 AM by Premium Lager »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6109 on: April 30, 2019, 12:48:20 AM »
More Gatwick drone drama. When will you sheep open your eyes?

Cant afford to fly to gatwick anyways

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6110 on: April 30, 2019, 03:54:36 AM »
"If it wasnt for the Germans we'd still be sweeping streets for the jews, to give them hugs"

"He is a jew, but an even better one"

#thinkpositive2019
ὕβρις

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #6111 on: April 30, 2019, 06:46:00 AM »
Turn on the tv, Juan just declared a military-uprising/war in Venezuela.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #6112 on: April 30, 2019, 06:57:46 AM »
                    :piss2
is this trolling?

piss weak mate
◕‿◕

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #6113 on: April 30, 2019, 07:07:20 AM »
24 hours from now there may be Venezuelan streets filled with bodies

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6114 on: April 30, 2019, 07:27:21 AM »
Hopefully Trump actually pays the military doing the coup
🤴

Tripon

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:24:36 AM by Tripon »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6119 on: April 30, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »
They're running people over with military trucks

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1123282171031113728

I don't think this coup. I'm sorry, freedom initiative is going very well
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:26:22 PM by Nintex »
🤴