Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 433054 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Fighting Games Thread
« Reply #1860 on: January 11, 2018, 11:54:05 AM »
Sakura is free for the first week of AE release!
http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2018/01/10/play-as-sakura-for-free-in-street-fighter-v-arcade-edition-116-123

Important Notice: Any EXP and Fight Money you earn with Sakura during this time will disappear on January 23 when the free period ends. However, if you purchase Sakura any time afterwards, the earned EXP and Fight Money will automatically be credited towards your account. If you purchase the Season 3 Character Pass during this free period, the EXP and Fight Money will not disappear. Sakura will be purchasable individually after the trial ends.

:hhh
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1861 on: January 11, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »
Why not just spend it before end of the trial?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1862 on: January 11, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »
I just think it's stupid to do that.  I'm gonna buy the season pass regardless so it doesn't really matter to me.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1863 on: January 11, 2018, 11:58:54 AM »
Capcom is really cheaping out with Fight Money this season

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1864 on: January 11, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »
I see AE as a way for this to be a fresh restart for Capcom and they've been showing a lot of positive things about the update that looks to be generating interest.  This is a step backwards.  Make Sakura free for anyone who purchases AE or downloads the update during the first week or something.  They can still make money off the outfits and crap.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1865 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »
I wonder how much of this is Japan regretting the Fight Money thing

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1866 on: January 11, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
SNK's new fighter...is on Switch!  Gals Fighters sequel!?

Looks like it might be kind of simplistic though.

This is coming out on PS4, too!  I don't know if there's a regular physical release.  NIS has pre-orders for CEs for both Switch and PS4 up on their shop.

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1867 on: January 11, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »
Melee gets a big viewership and entrants still, does it not?  And they playerbase is pretty different from Smash 4.  It's not going anywhere.

I just wish Nintendo would re-release it in HD or release an updated Switch Smash 4 port that everyone goes over to instead.  But even then the pros would cling to the original because of all the glitches they've gotten used to being in the game.

Like 100%? Then why keep playing? It's oldhat. Is it still competitive?

It's a little funny that you say this as a recent Super Turbo player.  :)

ST doesn't have main tournaments. It has a heavy legacy and side tourneys and not everything is figured out. It's also 2d fg 101. I don't get the point of playing a figured out game. Are people still improving in Melee?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1868 on: January 11, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
The Japanese trailer has more half-naked characters.  :lol

ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1869 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »
Japan pls :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1870 on: January 11, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
Melee gets a big viewership and entrants still, does it not?  And they playerbase is pretty different from Smash 4.  It's not going anywhere.

I just wish Nintendo would re-release it in HD or release an updated Switch Smash 4 port that everyone goes over to instead.  But even then the pros would cling to the original because of all the glitches they've gotten used to being in the game.

Like 100%? Then why keep playing? It's oldhat. Is it still competitive?

It's a little funny that you say this as a recent Super Turbo player.  :)

ST doesn't have main tournaments. It has a heavy legacy and side tourneys and not everything is figured out. It's also 2d fg 101. I don't get the point of playing a figured out game. Are people still improving in Melee?

:cmonson
You know what I mean.  :P  If people are still figuring stuff out in ST, it's a good bet that they are in Melee, too. 
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1871 on: January 11, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »
Sakura is free for the first week of AE release!
http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2018/01/10/play-as-sakura-for-free-in-street-fighter-v-arcade-edition-116-123

Important Notice: Any EXP and Fight Money you earn with Sakura during this time will disappear on January 23 when the free period ends. However, if you purchase Sakura any time afterwards, the earned EXP and Fight Money will automatically be credited towards your account. If you purchase the Season 3 Character Pass during this free period, the EXP and Fight Money will not disappear. Sakura will be purchasable individually after the trial ends.

:hhh

That's not even the worse part:

In this time you’ll be able to play her story, use her costumes and play through all the modes found in SFV: AE. But once 1/23 comes around, this free trial will come to an end. Be sure to make her a permanent addition to your roster before then!

I mean I was going "OMG, I'll re-download Rootkit Fighter 5 for the ability to get the character." But nope. :doge Capcom gonna Capcom.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1872 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:04 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #1873 on: January 11, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
Doesn't he get mostly Capcom money for Evo? Surely he can ask them to host their "premier" gathering of their fighting games boards? :doge

Edit: As it is, now I know what board software CodeCademy, FreeCodeCamp, GitHub, and this small gaming community for "pro"s of this card game I play use. Fuck Discourse. People say Reddit is hard to follow but that software is ass in tracking things down.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:42:18 AM by thisismyusername »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1874 on: January 12, 2018, 12:17:35 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1875 on: January 12, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy does not have one button for attacks like it sounded...it has one button to control special moves like a Smash game and will still have separate normal attack buttons.  OK, can work with that and it means there won't be any controller issues with the Switch version.

But I still think that this game is going to be quickly forgotten about since it's going for a niche crowd within a niche crowd.  If they want to make "SNK Smash Bros.," do this kind of control scheme with more than just the female characters.  This game should have been NeoGeo Battle Colosseum 2.

Anyway, SNK's own take on it:

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1876 on: January 13, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »
deleted because i am SHIT
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:35:14 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #1877 on: January 13, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »
Yeah, SNK's announcement is just out of left field. I'm sure the perverts will totally get it. But it's such a :confused announcement. I guess it's their attempt to answer DOA/DOA being put on ice?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1878 on: January 13, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »
Hey, it's not a first for them. SNK is just doing a sequel to this classic :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1879 on: January 13, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
Reminder that the DBZ Fighters open-beta starts for everyone tomorrow morning at 3 AM PST, IIRC. 

Dissidia is also in open-beta on PS4 right now for at least a week if not longer.

And more on the BlazBlue Cross Tag roster.  They're pulling a SFxTK and locking like half the fucking roster as DLC.  :-\

Hey, it's not a first for them. SNK is just doing a sequel to this classic :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

That game was actually pretty awesome.   :)  But was not made by SNK (Yumekobo!) and had a cutesy, light-hearted feel to it.   I see some traces of humor in it (look at Yuri's super being a torrent of food) but it seems to be 'sexing' it all up and I think that will alienate some folks.  TBH I think regardless of how much T n' A the game has, it being all-female is going to turn off a number of players regardless.  :-\
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1880 on: January 13, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
Blue Mary :aah

:mouf

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1881 on: January 13, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1882 on: January 13, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »
No money for DBFZ. Thankfully I have SFV so I get a free AE upgrade. Gotta farm that FM.

I made a friend at SCR and we haven't played in MONTHS. Tonight I log on and he's there, and we challenge each other. Had to record the set. :) I am really having fun with Ryu the more I put into him. I am actually considering betraying Chun and making him my main. I'm sorry Chun Li! :brazilcry

IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1883 on: January 14, 2018, 04:28:28 AM »
Honestly had no intention of buying DBZ at launch as SFV update will be fresh, but it seems great, and I don't even like DBZ  :ohyeah

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1884 on: January 14, 2018, 03:13:07 PM »
DBFZ is a fantastic fighting game, feels great to play and watch, simple combos but tons of juggle/projectile/teleport options, supers dont seem fucked, zoning game is great, shutting zoning down is great. Im interested as playing as ANY chatacter just to see how they play. The gameplay is extraordinary.

My god at the general connections, connections dropping and matches ending, lobby sytem, matchmaking and how long it is, going into different menus and modes. Like, its fucking terrible for a 2018 game. Most of my time has been on menus and loading screens.

This beta having any affect on stability and connections would be great. Cuz the game launching like this is gonna put a huuuuuge dent in a really good game. Online stability and shit just plain working has to the case at launch.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:20:38 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Beezy

« Reply #1885 on: January 14, 2018, 07:47:59 PM »
Most of my friends haven't bought a fighter since SF4, but they all want DBFZ.

Tasty

« Reply #1886 on: January 14, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »
Hate to port beg but goddamn DBFZ is perfect for the Switch.

Gonna have to settle for Xenoverse 2 in the meantime tho

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1887 on: January 14, 2018, 09:16:33 PM »
I suspect the game will make its way to the Switch eventually.  If they can release GGXrd on PS3, they can do DBZF on Switch.

FINALLY got in the beta after trying at various times throughout the day.  It's filled to capacity, yet you still have to sit there waiting for matches and the connection quality has been pretty bad.  But it's Arc so I'm not worried about the end product.

This game plays like a dumbed-down ArcSys fighter, which is a good thing.  It's waaaaaay more accessible than their other titles are.  Pretty damn fun.

Hate to port beg but goddamn DBFZ is perfect for the Switch.

That d-pad isn't :trumps

Good thing you can use a pro controller, 8-bit Do controller, joysticks, and I've even seen people using PS4 and XBone controllers on the Switch already.

:ufup
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1888 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:43 PM »
Yep, Brook makes a Switch converter for PS4 and X1 and any stick with a Brook Universal PCB (360/PS3/X1/PS4/PiiU) works on Switch because its seen as a Pokken controller.

mormapope

« Reply #1889 on: January 15, 2018, 12:24:48 AM »
One of the best matches I had, made me feel evil and high as fuck.

Outzoned them soooooo bad as Frieza, taking out each character so cleanly made me feel like the lil purple dude. He beat me the previous match, I ended up winning the set.
OH!

Beezy

« Reply #1890 on: January 15, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »
I haven't been able to get into one match on either console during this beta. :(

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1891 on: January 15, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »
Other than the visuals, the game doesn't look interesting at all to me. Glad people enjoy it though!

thisismyusername

« Reply #1892 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
Other than the visuals, the game doesn't look interesting at all to me. Glad people enjoy it though!

From what I'm hearing, it's pretty shallow a la Persona 4.  Makes me wonder if it's gonna stick around compared to Persona 4, which didn't. :doge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1893 on: January 15, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »
DBZ is a lot more popular than Persona, plus it seems to be attracting Marvel players, so I can definitely see it having staying power.

thisismyusername

« Reply #1894 on: January 15, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
No, I mean in terms of playstyle. Apparently it's "shallow" if you believe some of the people on the internet.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1895 on: January 15, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
No, I mean in terms of playstyle. Apparently it's "shallow" if you believe some of the people on the internet.
That kind of stuff is tough to judge, especially after like....two days of a beta that hasn't even had 100% uptime

thisismyusername

« Reply #1896 on: January 15, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »
That kind of stuff is tough to judge, especially after like....two days of a beta that hasn't even had 100% uptime

Yeah, that's why I'm basically waiting for the game to actually come out. But like I said: We'll see. Doesn't it do auto-combos like P4U does?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1897 on: January 15, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
Multiple auto combo strings are available.  But that doesn't matter...games like Marvel and KOF do it too in addition to Persona.  Doesn't mean they don't have as much depth.

But I do think it has less depth compared to the other Arc fighters from what I got to try.
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #1898 on: January 15, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
I haven't been able to get into one match on either console during this beta. :(

Same, spent most of my time in training mode.
Finally got into one. We rematched 4 times and it was great. Haven't been able to find another match since.

But I do think it has less depth compared to the other Arc fighters from what I got to try.
That's fine. Their other games that I've played are kinda hard to get into if you're not already a big fan of 2D fighters. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being their best selling game in the west.

mormapope

« Reply #1899 on: January 15, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »
Execution wise, the barrier is much lower than other Arc fighters, and Marvel 3. People that are calling the game shallow though? That's a very dumb thing to say this early on.

It reminds me more of Persona 4 Arena than anything else, but with a lot more emphasis on projectile zoning and theres more fun gimmicky stuff going on.

Also, the reason why Persona 4 arena didnt stick around is because its Persona! Lol, many marvel fans are still coming to terms that they love an anime fighter, JRPG players typically dont get invested in fighting games. It was a niche genre crossover for a popular JRPG series.

The number of people that would wanna play as Yamcha or Satan dwarfs how many people would wanna play as Chie or any Persona protagonist. Dragon Ball games sell decently even when theyre incredibly mediocre.

DBFZ has everything going for it and can reach success that MvC has never seen.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #1900 on: January 15, 2018, 07:36:00 PM »
Now is the time where I will advertise that you visit your local fighting game meet up. This weekend everyone is going to be running tournies. Nachobro has already geared up to TO one. With DBFZ and SFVAE both coming and the fighting game season revving up for Final Round to start, it's going to get heavy. Which is the best opportunity to go visit a local and see what we're about. You will have fun and learn. Ask questions. Maybe enter the tournament and have some fun. Then come back for more.

Here is a map of locals around the world. It might be outdated, but if it is, simply google your local city or state and then FGC. Or go to Facebook and search for your local community there.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1CepQmeYS81xE9yY4RhbwBmiYTAg&hl=en&ll=35.86468246739083%2C-32.13689854077154&z=2

Lyte I personally asked Speedkicks where ATL FGC hangs out at and he suggested you join the fb group. Go and share your past experiences at locals and see how they're doing now, get your info, and show up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/164898150234339/
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1901 on: January 15, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »
DBZ is going to blow up, I feel it. From an informal poll at locals last week it's about 95% of folks that are buying it and plan to play in tournaments across all the various game scenes. Even the non-fighting game players who just come to our local to hang out are excited to play it. The last game that had that was SF4. Now will it last? Who knows. But that's a strong start and a huge wave of support that I've not seen for a game in years.

Either way we're getting ready to announce our big regional for it with a flyer based on a DB manga cover, which I think is pretty cool looking. :D

Himu

« Reply #1902 on: January 15, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »
Yeah, I really want DBFZ. It seems like a really good game and everyone's going to be playing it so the competition will be really deep. As long as the game has something offer in the long term, which Arc games usually manage to do, I think it'll have some legs. I definitely plan on competing in it.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1903 on: January 15, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
IMO the bigger issue for the game is less "will it get deep enough for people to keep at it" and more "will people be scared off once the first broken as shit tech is discovered". 3v3 fighters always have some wild shit that gets uncovered and that's the type of thing to drive away casuals. So hopefully the DBZ aspect is enough to keep more casual types invested enough to want to learn the game.

Also, even if you hate DLC, the eight characters coming with the season pass is a good way to keep people interested.

Himu

« Reply #1904 on: January 15, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
Yeah the day one tech won't last and will probably be blown up by next week. It depends on how the meta evolves. I don't mean anything about depth when I talk about legs. And I think the games dlc plan will keep people in invested because people are interested in characters as much as we are the actual systems and meta due to the property. Still waiting for Bulma.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #1905 on: January 15, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
Something that I already enjoy a lot more than Marvel specifically are how assists take very little damage when caught by anything. Getting a happy birthday in DBFZ would require a lot of situational stuff to happen.

It wasnt that bad in Marvel 2 unless you got caught in a infinite combo loop. In Marvel 3 though, a fucking sneeze could take out a sizable amount of health for an assisting character. Health regen for characters out of combat is great too.

OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1906 on: January 15, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »
Yeah the day one tech won't last and will probably be blown up by next week. It depends on how the meta evolves. I don't mean anything about depth when I talk about legs. And I think the games dlc plan will keep people in invested because people are interested in characters as much as we are the actual systems and meta due to the property. Still waiting for Bulma.
While not a major DBZ fan, from what I understand this is the kind of game that could really have characters added to it for years. Which is exactly what every fighting game dev wants in a game and what MVCI could have been :-\

Himu

« Reply #1907 on: January 15, 2018, 08:08:48 PM »
My main barrier with this game is that it's a tag/team game. I don't like team games that aren't CVS2. Having to learn three characters.  :-\ It at least helps that in this game I'd actually like the characters since I'm a big fan of the property.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1908 on: January 15, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
People seem to forget that Smash, Budokai and the shitty 3D MK games were like the only big fighting games going for the majority of the PS2 gen.

???

We played MvC2, CVS2, and Soul Calibur 2 over here. Original VF4, Tekken Tag 1 also were really popular and big.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1909 on: January 15, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
Not talking competitively. I wasn't in the competitive scene then but MVC2 and CVS2 were pretty huge. Definitely waned around 2005 or so tho.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1910 on: January 15, 2018, 09:33:54 PM »
Just had a great set with a Guile in Super Turbo. My brain is fried. I might show some replays.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1911 on: January 15, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »
Arc System's YYH Fighter Game when?

Himu

« Reply #1912 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »
:beli

I check the fightcade replay of the set I had with this dude and it's not even our set. It's a random Blanka vs Ken. I learned so much in that match up and could use it for further analysis and here Fightcade is mixing up great sets. SMH.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:49:09 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1913 on: January 15, 2018, 11:54:45 PM »
I'm dling the beta and I have to say from what I've seen...I'm not impressed with the gameplay. What I'm looking for is character variety in terms of game plans and fight styles and I'm not seeing it. So far Ginyu and Nappa seem cool. You can zone with Freeza. Nappa has his Saibamen and looks like a sort of mix between Carl from BB and Zato from GG. I'm shocked Piccolo doesn't seem to have a distance based fighting style. What with his most famous attacks all being long ranged, between his long arms, and his famous Special Beam Cannon attack. I'm shocked Tien doesn't seem to have a multi form style for his game plan so you have to kill multiples of him. That'd be unique. Game play wise it just doesn't seem that interesting and I'm hope I'm proven wrong eventually but so far it looks a really, really watered down ArcSys game. I know it won't take me away from GG in the long term, that's for sure.

:dunno

Piccolo should be charge and play as similar to Axl as possible.

It seems that maybe this perception could be completely wrong and based around the visuals. I'll have to see when I get the beta, but people are telling me I'm wrong so that's good.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:30:36 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1914 on: January 16, 2018, 02:04:17 AM »
Hmmm, now I'm actually playing the game and not just watching footage it seems my main concern with the game is completely 100% wrong. Thankfully. Android 18 for instance is a pretty technical character. Much harder than others. She is a pure set up character and it's hard to get things working with her compared to the rest of the roster. Then you've got your grappler in Android 16. Beerus seems to have some funny Venom from GG stuff going on. Lots of variety in the game plans here than there was at first glance, which is really good. I'm impressed with the presentation but also the way the game feels. It's very tight and fast-paced despite using a 3d engine. It feels like with other fighters, when they make the transition from sprites to 3d models, the gameplay gets a bit slower in ways I cannot articulate. But not the case here. It has a nice flow. Really excited to pick the game up and learn it now.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #1915 on: January 16, 2018, 11:20:29 AM »
Nothing should take you away from Guilty Gear: As that's ASW's best game. :doge

Hmmm, now I'm actually playing the game and not just watching footage it seems my main concern with the game is completely 100% wrong. Thankfully. Android 18 for instance is a pretty technical character. Much harder than others. She is a pure set up character and it's hard to get things working with her compared to the rest of the roster. Then you've got your grappler in Android 16. Beerus seems to have some funny Venom from GG stuff going on. Lots of variety in the game plans here than there was at first glance, which is really good. I'm impressed with the presentation but also the way the game feels. It's very tight and fast-paced despite using a 3d engine. It feels like with other fighters, when they make the transition from sprites to 3d models, the gameplay gets a bit slower in ways I cannot articulate. But not the case here. It has a nice flow. Really excited to pick the game up and learn it now.

Hour long presentation on how they did Guilty Gear's transition to 3D. ASW provided. Capcuck and SNK didn't listen. :'(

Himu

« Reply #1916 on: January 16, 2018, 01:42:20 PM »
I agree. Goku has some nice shit. Dude is basically Akuma.
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1918 on: January 16, 2018, 04:22:11 PM »
AE is great, exactly what I wanted.  :rejoice

Himu

« Reply #1919 on: January 16, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
I'm going to grind a bit for FM and then train my character, then I suggest we make a room and have some fun.
IYKYK