Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 435353 times)

Himu

Re: Fighting Games Thread
« Reply #2040 on: January 26, 2018, 11:04:41 PM »
Arc hasn’t either. You can’t just go to player match? This sounds horrific.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2041 on: January 26, 2018, 11:24:48 PM »
Arc hasn’t either. You can’t just go to player match? This sounds horrific.

Nope!   :dizzy
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2042 on: January 26, 2018, 11:38:00 PM »
In positive news, the game already hit 44,000 concurrent players on Steam.  On track to easily be the most popular fighting game on the platform already.
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2043 on: January 27, 2018, 12:47:19 AM »
We'll see how long that lasts, though.

Aegis.exe

« Reply #2044 on: January 27, 2018, 06:57:44 AM »
ASW has legendarily bad support for their games so there's good chance that number bleeds out over the year. Namco has had a pretty good track record though, so hopefully they can keep something going. It would be a huge shame for this game to bleed out in the normal ASW style.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #2045 on: January 27, 2018, 10:07:06 AM »
Game is excellent and there were tons of players in the middle of the day on Xbone yesterday.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2046 on: January 27, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
Question: What does the Fighter Z pass net you? Don't see blue Goku or Vegeta so I assume they're on there. But does it give you like all future characters?

Seems to just be the standard season pass for the eight upcoming DLC characters.

SSJ Blue Goku and Vegeta were pre-order/day one edition bonus unlocks.  You can get them by playing through Arcade mode (with some other requirements).  Likewise with Android 21 you have to play through the Story mode.  I was surprised to find that I had her already on Steam last night- apparently the version I pre-ordered came with her unlocked already.

EDIT: I just bought the pass on PSN.  Android 21 unlocked- Nice because while I might still play through story, I was planning to just Youtube it.  I'm more interested in getting right into it and playing online.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:34:18 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2047 on: January 27, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »

don't be negative

thisismyusername

« Reply #2048 on: January 27, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »

don't be negative

I mean it's typical for PC fighting games to bleed out within a month. :yeshrug

Bebpo

« Reply #2049 on: January 27, 2018, 02:03:58 PM »
PSN sale had KoFXIV 4-character pack for $9 including my boy Rock Howard and Whip. At like $2.50 a character I'm ok with DLC. Picked it up and installed KoFXIV again. Hadn't touched the game since a few weeks after launch.

Man, forgot what a complete package the game is. Tons of characters, tons of stages, good modes, trials that are actually fun and useful. Did all Rock Howard's trails and then did a run through arcade mode with him, Yamazaki and some sand guy. Some of the B&B combos from the trials were pretty useful. I remember they did some graphic upgrade patch at some point? Game looks pretty solid now. Like a good 3d KoF. I hope the game turned out profitable for SNK. I think the MAX system is pretty good.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

thisismyusername

« Reply #2051 on: January 27, 2018, 05:36:15 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #2052 on: January 27, 2018, 05:41:55 PM »
Legit looks like Smash 3DS lol.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Switch when 👀
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2053 on: January 27, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »
Been using my FS Pro a lot more lately because of AE so I decided to spruce up the art and buttons a bit with an NJPW theme

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2054 on: January 27, 2018, 09:42:10 PM »
https://kotaku.com/dragon-ball-fighterz-on-lowest-settings-is-like-going-b-1822467411

I was playing it like this yesterday for a few minutes-- tried it on my GPD Win.  It still didn't run well enough to be considered playable!  :lol
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #2055 on: January 27, 2018, 10:42:09 PM »
Lobby system sucks and loading before matches takes too long, but DB Fighterz is really fun. Just spent like 3 hours playing with friends. We've come to the conclusion that Tien sacrificing Chiaotzu is the scariest level 3 in the game.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:03:50 AM by filler »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2057 on: January 28, 2018, 12:21:06 AM »
 :rofl
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2058 on: January 28, 2018, 12:49:00 AM »
I blame Bandai-Namco for DB Fighterz's weird lack of menus, not Arc.  Why?  Because it just hit me that Dragonball Xenoverse 2 works the same way.  Load up the game and you have to pick a save file, then go into the game world and travel to a kiosk just to start something like multiplayer. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2059 on: January 28, 2018, 12:54:12 AM »
Xeno 2 is a more single-player/story-focused game though, right? The decision to keep that style for a more barebones 2D fighter is very odd.

Bebpo

« Reply #2060 on: January 28, 2018, 01:41:03 AM »
Lobby system sucks and loading before matches takes too long, but DB Fighterz is really fun. Just spent like 3 hours playing with friends. We've come to the conclusion that Tien sacrificing Chiaotzu is the scariest level 3 in the game.

Coming from playing SFV AE the loading doesn’t bug me but yeah in general fighting games still have too long loading on consoles.

Bebpo

« Reply #2061 on: January 28, 2018, 01:42:46 AM »
Also it’s kinda funny/sad how DBZ & MHW come out and are great games with great MP but both have terrible Japanese wtf interface decisions. Goes to show Japan devs need some work/help with UI for MP gaming.

Hock

« Reply #2062 on: January 28, 2018, 01:50:47 AM »
Automatically throwing you into an online lobby when you start the game only works if that shit is rock solid. Getting kicked out while in the shop and having to log back in wait now the lobby is full find another one........its just an unnecessary problem and could have been easily avoided. Other than that and not really liking that two slots are taken up by Goku and Vegeta Blue, the game is fantastic.

Beezy

« Reply #2063 on: January 28, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »
What platform did you all get DBFZ for? I'm on Xbox One.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2064 on: January 28, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »

I got it on PS4 and PC.

I would never buy fighting games on Xbox One.  The FGC at large is pretty much on PS4. 
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #2065 on: January 28, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »

I got it on PS4 and PC.

I would never buy fighting games on Xbox One.  The FGC at large is pretty much on PS4.
My friends and fam play multiplayer games on Xbox One, so I do the same. I'll double dip on this after a price drop or sale too, but I'm not sure yet if I'll go with PS4 or PC.

mormapope

« Reply #2066 on: January 28, 2018, 12:21:35 PM »
Im on the Bone too. GT is BasedSizeKing.
OH!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2067 on: January 28, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »
how many buttons does dbfz use? all i got is a steam controller rn  :lol

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2068 on: January 28, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »
I have never been into fighting games but DBZ is really tempting.  Is it a good game to pick up for awful new-comers to fighters?
püp

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2069 on: January 28, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »
My understanding is that it is Arc's most accessible fighter by far. It also seems to have a pretty big story mode if you aren't into playing online.

Himu

« Reply #2070 on: January 28, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »

I was going to say it's a four button fighter but then I remembered there's assist button and other shit. Going from memory, it took up my entire arcade stick, so eight buttons.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2071 on: January 28, 2018, 03:25:09 PM »
I have never been into fighting games but DBZ is really tempting.  Is it a good game to pick up for awful new-comers to fighters?

In my mind it's a halfway between Smash Bros & MvC, which are already both pretty accessible to new players. If you can play Smash, you can play DBZ F.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2072 on: January 28, 2018, 04:00:16 PM »
Nice.  I'll pick it up today.
püp

mormapope

« Reply #2073 on: January 28, 2018, 04:22:42 PM »
Sooo the best way to punish super dashes in DBFZ is either down heavy, which is a universal anti air for all characters. Some characters have much better anti airness, much easier to time/quicker to come out and catch someone super dashing at ya.

The other punish is the universal grab move, would be RB or R1. Block their super dash, and if they land on the ground, you can catch them with this.

Not really a punish, but you can reflect super dashes and a ton of supers. Reglect would be back A/X. Its the best possible option when someone is mashing on ya, to bounce super dashes back, or to reflect entire supers.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #2074 on: January 28, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »

I was going to say it's a four button fighter but then I remembered there's assist button and other shit. Going from memory, it took up my entire arcade stick, so eight buttons.

ABXY (or whatever on the touchpad) A1/2 on the triggers or back of controller paddles.

Should fit the Steam controller. But the D-pad emulation is AWFUL.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2075 on: January 28, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
It's not an eight button game.  Some of the trigger buttons are just two of the four main attack buttons together.

In my mind it's a halfway between Smash Bros & MvC, which are already both pretty accessible to new players. If you can play Smash, you can play DBZ F.

I don't see that at all.  This is nothing like Smash and is entirely like Marvel Vs. Capcom, just way more accessible.  You do need to do fireball motions and that's pretty much it for special move complexity.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2076 on: January 28, 2018, 05:34:16 PM »
Oh I see. I figured they were shortcuts but couldn’t confirm.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #2077 on: January 28, 2018, 05:49:24 PM »

!!!! :o !!!!

This is fantastic news for me as a DB stan but not necessarily a traditional fighter stan. :doge Like I can only barely work a controller in USF2. :stahp

Bebpo

« Reply #2078 on: January 28, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
It's not an eight button game.  Some of the trigger buttons are just two of the four main attack buttons together.

I don't see that at all.  This is nothing like Smash and is entirely like Marvel Vs. Capcom, just way more accessible.  You do need to do fireball motions and that's pretty much it for special move complexity.

The game is essentially a one button fighter rock/paper/scissors like smash. You hit X to shoot fireballs, back + X to reflect, d+X to fireball up, O to knock back, d+o to launch, R2 to home dash, R1 to break blocks, square to do small combos, triangle to do medium combos.

Yeah there’s more to it if you want like your couple of QCF or QCB back moves or do manual combos, or tags, which is why I say it’s like a halfway and not just a smash style, but at the end of the day the core basics are all one button + direction moves. And someone who has those down can pretty much hold their own at mid level play.

I can’t think of any other traditional fighter besides dive kick where you can do that. There’s depth, but also simplicity in the core gameplay structure.

Tasty

« Reply #2079 on: January 28, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »
Man what I would give for more fighters to be made around Smash's mechanics. :drool

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2080 on: January 28, 2018, 06:18:59 PM »
The game is essentially a one button fighter rock/paper/scissors like smash. You hit X to shoot fireballs, back + X to reflect, d+X to fireball up, O to knock back, d+o to launch, R2 to home dash, R1 to break blocks, square to do small combos, triangle to do medium combos.

Yeah there’s more to it if you want like your couple of QCF or QCB back moves or do manual combos, or tags, which is why I say it’s like a halfway and not just a smash style, but at the end of the day the core basics are all one button + direction moves. And someone who has those down can pretty much hold their own at mid level play.

I can’t think of any other traditional fighter besides dive kick where you can do that. There’s depth, but also simplicity in the core gameplay structure.

...no.  No.  NO!  :lol :noooo

How do you get "one button fighter" from this at all?  It is nothing like that.  This is still very much a traditional "anime" fighter and it is only really more simplistic when you compare it to other Arc System Works games.  It's on the same level as Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite, in that they gave the entire roster simplified moves and made everyone's special moves the same, so that you can pick any character and instantly start playing him/her. 

It's not "Yeah there’s more to it if you want like your couple of QCF or QCB back moves or do manual combos, or tags."   That stuff is a major part of this game along with assists, not some fluff that you can just ignore.  :dizzy  You also get rewarded for doing more complex combos instead of just doing the autocombos in the form of more Dragonballs being received more quickly. 

Dive Kick shares nothing in common with this game apart from both being 2D fighters.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2081 on: January 28, 2018, 06:23:26 PM »
Add in things like traditional anime fighter movement and...yeah. Also not every character is pick up and play. I tried Android 18 and that’s the definition of a lab character.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2082 on: January 28, 2018, 06:30:03 PM »
Disagree completely. You can never do a QCF/QCB move, never do a non-auto combo, and still beat high level players just using the basics. There is no other fighter I can think of where you can do this besides Divekick. Also I've seen multiple reviews comparing DBZ F's simplicity to Divekick so I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there.

I don't feel like DBZ F feels like a traditional fighter at all. When I play it I'm not seeing traditional fighter tactics but rather rock/paper/scissor flow-charts that work the same for almost every character. If someone blocks -> R1 block break combo, if someone shoots fireballs -> R2 dash homing combo -> if someone does a homing combo, down + O launch combo, etc... and that works for basically every character. Keep in mind I think this is a positive, because if I'm playing people local all they need to do is learn these half-dozen things and they can play competitively without going through training mode or learning movelists for characters. It's the definition of accessible in fighters.

As I said there is additional depth if you want it with special moves (the whopping like 2 each character has) and non-auto combos, but it's all optional. 95% of the time you can just rely on the core basics above + auto-combo to beat anyone. It's not about execution and knowing all the moves, it's about core fighting strategy and countering, aka rock/paper/scissors which is exactly what Divekick is.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2083 on: January 28, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »
Disagree completely. You can never do a QCF/QCB move, never do a non-auto combo, and still beat high level players just using the basics.

Bebpo, just stop.  Please stop.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2084 on: January 28, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »
:lol

Himu

« Reply #2085 on: January 28, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
High level? How does bebpo know they’re high level?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2086 on: January 28, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »
High level? How does bebpo know they’re high level?

Yeah...I didn't want to go there.   :doge
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2087 on: January 28, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »
Anyway, getting back to it...I think I've found what your typical "flowchart" player is in this game- "Super dash scrubs."  The match starts and these players immediately do super dashes towards you, pretty much leaving them wide open to get combo'd.  And they keep doing this over and over again. :lol
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #2088 on: January 28, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »
Disagree completely. You can never do a QCF/QCB move, never do a non-auto combo, and still beat high level players just using the basics.

:neogaf

Justin Beiber-fever, please stop while you're behind.

Bebpo

« Reply #2089 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »
I feel like we’re playing different games, you all are arguing this isn’t some super accessible entry level fighter similar to Divekick & Smash when like every review says it is? The whole point of the game was to make a more accessible entry level fighter than your traditional Capcom fighter to sell more to a wider audience of DBZ fans.

MvC or SFV, GG or KoF14 is far more non-accessible for new comers.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2090 on: January 28, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
I feel like we’re playing different games, you all are arguing this isn’t some super accessible entry level fighter similar to Divekick & Smash when like every review says it is? The whole point of the game was to make a more accessible entry level fighter than your traditional Capcom fighter to sell more to a wider audience of DBZ fans.

MvC or SFV, GG or KoF14 is far more non-accessible for new comers.

No Bebpo, we're saying that it's nothing like Divekick and Smash, nor is it anything akin to a "one-button fighter."  Accessibility is something else.

Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite is just as accessible as this game is- it's just a lot crappier in comparison.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2091 on: January 28, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
Also please show me reviews that compares the game play, not accessibility, to Divekick.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2092 on: January 28, 2018, 08:03:22 PM »
The game is accessible. But accessible doesn’t mean depth. Depth is where true skill in fighting games come from. While it’s accessible, it’s still an anime fighter with a deep learning curve even if it’s easy to get the basics right. It is after all, a fighting game. And every fg has the grind. Every fg takes hard work and dedication to get good. I guarantee you are not beating high level opponents using auto combos. Since they’re auto, they’re easy to guess. It’s not a mix up. Being predictable is exactly how you lose in fighters, and no high level player is going to fall for auto combos. Maybe once. You are truly underestimating what high level really means.

Also, MVC is not accessible. I’m not sure if you’re talking about Infinite or not but MVC games are hard. Three characters to master, use of battery and other team strategies, using assists right. Going into an MVC without knowing what the fuck is overwhelming so the previous MVC comparison by saying MVC is accessible makes no sense.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2093 on: January 28, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »
Bebpo, have you even played this game online?  I thought you didn't do online multiplayer.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2094 on: January 28, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »
Also, MVC is not accessible. I’m not sure if you’re talking about Infinite or not but MVC games are hard.

Infinite.  (I've said Infinite every time I have mentioned this.  :lol)

It was made easier for new players to get into- Two-man teams, even more simplified special moves, one-button combos (into automatic supers), etc.  It is similar to DB Fighterz in that respect. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:15:36 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #2095 on: January 28, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »

You're arguing that because it's a "one-button fighter" you're able to beat "the pros" at the game just smashing auto-combo. No you can't. There's far more than the auto-combo system in the game that makes it "deep"er than you're trying to claim it is.

Divekick has: Dive and Kick. That's it. You move forward and backward with the left-right buttons on the D-pad but only have two buttons to smash besides those.

Smash Brothers is "entry-level" but even then you have mechanics that make it "deep"er than just smashing B (or whatever the button is) to smash the opponent out of the ring.

Is it is "accessible?" Yes. Is it brain-dead to where a newbie can beat a pro? No. And that's where your argument fails.

Bebpo

« Reply #2096 on: January 28, 2018, 08:48:51 PM »
Except I never said that a beginner can mash auto-combos and beat a pro. I said that a pro who is an expert can be another pro without using special moves or combos because the strategy is in the core mechanics which are fairly simple one button + directions. That it's not the execution that decides who is the better player, it's the player who is smarter and playing better. The player who can find openings and counter incoming attacks.

I also wasn't literally talking about only pressing one button. I was comparing it to smash which you know, is obviously more than one button, but in smash it's all about a directional input + a button moves, DBZ F's core moves are the same input.

Anyhow, I get the feeling some of you all are being defensive like I'm calling DBZ F a button masher. Which I'm not. All I'm saying is it's somewhere halfway between Smash accessibility and MvC accessibility, aka more inputs and execution than smash, but fewer than MvC. I still stand by that.

Bebpo

« Reply #2097 on: January 28, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »
Also, while you all are getting on my case like I'm high or something. A quick google of DBZ Fighter and accessible comes up with articles like this:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/26/16934418/dragon-ball-fighterz-dbz-arc-system-works-fighting-game-review-impressions

A lot of that can be traced to the game’s simplified approach to combat. Arc is using a system most non-fighting game fans might recognize in something like Super Smash Bros., meaning there’s a shared set of button combinations that make each character perform different actions with the same commands.

Jc you all looking at me like I'm crazy.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2098 on: January 28, 2018, 09:07:12 PM »
You:

And someone who has those down can pretty much hold their own at mid level play.

Also you:

You can never do a QCF/QCB move, never do a non-auto combo, and still beat high level players just using the basics.

So which is it? Mid-level or Entry-level, you're still going to get stomped by Pro players.

Except I never said that a beginner can mash auto-combos and beat a pro. I said that a pro who is an expert can be another pro without using special moves or combos because the strategy is in the core mechanics which are fairly simple one button + directions. That it's not the execution that decides who is the better player, it's the player who is smarter and playing better. The player who can find openings and counter incoming attacks.

Now you're moving goal-posts. The one-button/auto-combo system is predictable as Cindy has said. Pros will not rely on it alone. You are absolutely crazy if you think pros are going to stick with just auto-combos as if that's the same as "neutral game"/pokes and hit-confirms.

There is also still the execution barriers with block timing/etc. It's not as brain-dead as you are making it sound.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2099 on: January 28, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »
Fuck it; time to go super-saiyan.

Except I never said that a beginner can mash auto-combos and beat a pro. I said that a pro who is an expert can be another pro without using special moves or combos because the strategy is in the core mechanics which are fairly simple one button + directions.
:what

No, you didn't say that.   This is what you said:
You can never do a QCF/QCB move, never do a non-auto combo, and still beat high level players just using the basics.

Nor would I expect two "pros" to have a match and the one who doesn't use everything available (WHY would anyone do this?  :lol) win.

I also wasn't literally talking about only pressing one button. I was comparing it to smash which you know, is obviously more than one button, but in smash it's all about a directional input + a button moves, DBZ F's core moves are the same input.

This is what you said:
Quote from: Bebpo
The game is essentially a one button fighter rock/paper/scissors like smash.

There is nothing in this game like Smash. 

Anyhow, I get the feeling some of you all are being defensive like I'm calling DBZ F a button masher.

No, I don't think anyone thinks that.  It's because you wrote a bunch of stuff about this honestly makes me wonder if you even played the game.   :doge

You didn't answer our earlier posts.  Have you played this game online against other players?  And still waiting for a review comparing it to Dive Kick.

Also, while you all are getting on my case like I'm high or something. A quick google of DBZ Fighter and accessible comes up with articles like this:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/26/16934418/dragon-ball-fighterz-dbz-arc-system-works-fighting-game-review-impressions

A lot of that can be traced to the game’s simplified approach to combat. Arc is using a system most non-fighting game fans might recognize in something like Super Smash Bros., meaning there’s a shared set of button combinations that make each character perform different actions with the same commands.

Jc you all looking at me like I'm crazy.

Nope.  That's not the point you tried to make before.  Saying it has shared inputs like Smash doesn't mean it is like Smash.  We already talked about this earlier in the thread.  That reviewer could have dropped in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite in place of Smash and it would have been the same thing.

Calling it "the most accessible 2D fighting game in a long time" works for this game.   I would not use anything related to Smash when recommending this to people.  It gives off the wrong idea.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:25:19 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平