Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 435597 times)

Himu

Re: Fighting Games Thread
« Reply #2220 on: February 08, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
Alpha 3 was great. Three modes of play per character, great cast, gorgeous game, plus it started you with full meter. Such a solid SF entry

It used to be my favorite SF ever since its release for a long, long time. But it's been so long and I know it has a lot of busted stuff. I'm looking forward to diving into with my current level of fg skill.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2221 on: February 08, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »
So like, I'm really, really passionate about A3 even though I hide it.

I love its stages and the way it feels like they tell a story.

I loved World Tour mode and I still am confused by Capcom never brought that mode back. Even I, a single player mode hater, would play World Tour.

Alpha games were were easily some of my favorite games growing up. I remember calling a friend and telling him about Zero. I had a GameFan and we were arguing about its name. "It's called Zero!" "Alpha!" Haha kids are stupid.

On one hand, I watch matches like this and I get excited to dip my toes in my former fave with actual fg skill.

On the other, there's this.

https://twitter.com/Rhapsody39/status/927960462976696320

We'll see. I'm excited tho.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2222 on: February 09, 2018, 12:13:53 AM »
V-ism in Alpha 3 is broken shit. Like Vs. series bad. I hope with the collection release, they try to "balance" it to where it's not so overpowered.

stoic fighter (KOF)

Hopping around is stoic? :confused

Himu

« Reply #2223 on: February 09, 2018, 12:55:09 AM »
Using tatsu in a cross up is stoic? Compared to an anime game it’s stoic. KOF is a pretty traditional fighter.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2224 on: February 09, 2018, 09:51:19 AM »
V-ism in Alpha 3 is broken shit. Like Vs. series bad. I hope with the collection release, they try to "balance" it to where it's not so overpowered.
Actually they already made that version for Japanese arcades. It's called Zero 3 Upper and it added in the console characters and fixed V-ISM infinites. But it never made it over to the US so I don't expect it to be on that SF Collection. Also because it's a Naomi game and not CPS2 so it's probably a bit more work to port.

Himu

« Reply #2225 on: February 09, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
I didn’t know that was Upper. I thought Upper was the psp version.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #2226 on: February 09, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »

PSP is Max Upper/whatever it's called in English.

Himu

« Reply #2227 on: February 09, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »

:sabu
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2228 on: February 09, 2018, 01:12:44 PM »
Hilariously the PSP version is Double Upper in Japan. Capcom naming schemes. :dizzy But it's just a port of Upper, except it adds Ingrid who wasn't in Upper IIRC (I'd have to boot the arcade ver to double check that at some point).

Either way, that's not the version people use for tournaments cause everyone wants the broken version instead :lol
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:18:49 PM by nachobro »

Tasty

« Reply #2229 on: February 09, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »

"What about you, Melee?"

"Melee still loves the game."

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2230 on: February 09, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »
:nope #MangoNation

:ohyeah #DeodorantNation

Tasty

« Reply #2231 on: February 09, 2018, 02:40:02 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2232 on: February 09, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »
I think Melee is wack in general but I'll root for Hbox cause he gets Smashers all worked up and upset

Tasty

« Reply #2233 on: February 09, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
Leffen and Hbox are my jam. So happy to see him win it in 2016 after getting to GF so many times. <3

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2234 on: February 09, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »
The issue is more the players and the scene stuff than the game for me. Also it takes for-fucking-ever to run. I do prefer Smash 4 to Melee when it comes to what game I'd rather play (I like the roster and really dislike the GC controller).

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2235 on: February 09, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »

Himu

« Reply #2236 on: February 10, 2018, 01:35:55 AM »
Sis.

Bruh.

I played Alpha 3 ALL NIGHT.

That game. That fucking game! :lawd

It’s so fun.

Tick throws seem really hard to pull off tho.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #2237 on: February 10, 2018, 01:41:57 AM »
Yeah I heard all about the CRT's, broken controllers, etc, etc. so I get disliking the Melee crowd themselves but Melee is great so I don't mind it being the game that gets this sort of appreciation.

Melee isn't the problem. I don't think anyone in the "FGC" (ugh) thinks Melee is a bad game. The scene and how it doesn't play like traditional fighters is where most folks have issues.

At least I have Akuma. Straight up-cold.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2238 on: February 10, 2018, 02:16:12 AM »
Cindi, I am right there with you on that Alpha 3 hype.  I fucking LOVE me some Alpha.  Even Alpha 1! :hyper

Alpha was my favorite Street Fighter 'series' before SF4 came along.  I still enjoy it more than the III games and was never as into III like I was with Alpha.  This is despite even getting my hands on a 2nd Impact board before it got a home port on the Dreamcast.

I know I've posted this here before but fuck it, will re-type- I was absolutely addicted to Alpha.  I was in arcades all the time on the original and then played Alpha 2 to death on consoles, spending hours and hours every day or weekend playing people or the CPU/training.  It got to the point where I could beat everyone locally with ease and would challenge myself by turning off most of the buttons and just playing with a handicap.  When Alpha 3 hit, I drove out to the one arcade that had it and picked Dan.  Beat everyone playing there until they all just gave up and left, played the CPU and got the hidden Boxer fight and lost, then figured "whatever" since I had KOF '98 by this point and had "mastered" Alpha.  I did get really into it when the home ports came out though.

(Note that I never played in a tournament or I probably would have had a wake up call, although I did routinely get to play people involved in the local FGC and would win.)

I finally got that wake up call in 2001 when I went to Japan for the first time.  Sat down to play Alpha 3 and got utterly humiliated by a player who V-ism'd me to death all over the screen.  Then I was humbled.  :lol

Most of the games people consider the best are some of the worst balanced. Soul Calibur 2, MVC2, ST, 3S, XvsSF (ok only I like that one). That's not to say balance sucks or something, that's a silly way to look at it.

The difference between Marvel and the other games you mention is how broken MvC2 was.  I had never seen a game where everyone pretty much agreed it was a broken mess but would play it anyway before.  Then came other broken messes like SvC Chaos and nobody cared.  :'(

You're right. When I bring up anime in relation to the Alpha's I mostlly mean the speed (they're on Turbo speed by default) and the combo creativity. They're games that allow more freedom and flexibility in the combos, I feel. They lack anime mobility but they still have things like air guard and air techs. They're like a half way step between a stoic fighter (SF, KOF) and full on anime (Vsav, GG).

I got exactly what you meant but figured Toku was talking about the aesthetic.

Hilariously the PSP version is Double Upper in Japan. Capcom naming schemes. :dizzy But it's just a port of Upper, except it adds Ingrid who wasn't in Upper IIRC (I'd have to boot the arcade ver to double check that at some point).

Either way, that's not the version people use for tournaments cause everyone wants the broken version instead :lol

So it goes like this.  Will use the Zero names since everywhere else, it was just Alpha 3 for every version until the PSP version, called SFA3 MAX, was released:

Street Fighter Zero 3 (arcade- IIRC Boxer, Juli, and Juni were the hidden CPU bosses later made playable)
Street Fighter Zero 3 (home- added Dee Jay, T. Hawk, Fei-Long, Evil Ryu, and Guile to the roster, more stages, and included all playable hidden boss characters.  Can't remember if Shin Akuma is a separate playable character in this release!)
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper  (arcade port of the Dreamcast SFZ3)
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper (GBA- this port added the CvS2 sprites for Yun, Maki, and Eagle.  It is also a phenomenal port of the game!)
Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper (PSP- this is basically all the content up through the GBA version with the CFE Sprite for Ingrid thrown in)

...I think that's it.  :dizzy  So going from Zero 3 to Zero 3 Double Upper is an increase of like 10 characters.  It kind of sucks that they aren't putting a version of Upper in the collection because I like having extra characters, but all my mains are in the vanilla release so I'm still OK with it.

And that's also not getting into extra modes.  There were some additional dramatic battle options in the Saturn and DC versions of Alpha 3.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:26:11 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2239 on: February 10, 2018, 02:54:17 AM »
Melee is cool, Smash 4 is good, and the Smash community is rough around the edges but still nice overall. :heart

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2240 on: February 10, 2018, 02:54:28 AM »
Looks crazy with all the effects and stage hazards.

I love how they look legit embarrassed to be wearing those clothes.   :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2241 on: February 10, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »

PLEASE SUPPORT OLD GAMES :brazilcry
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2242 on: February 10, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
I don't get the point that guy is trying to make.  Who says this is the "last time these old school games will be in the spotlight?"  Street Fighter almost inevitably gets re-released every new generation.  :lol  The last gen had working online ports of SF2 Turbo, Super Turbo, and 3rd Strike already.  "New players" can try those or fire up an emulator whenever.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2243 on: February 12, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »

dat vtrigger 2 :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2244 on: February 12, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »
the story costume :rofl

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2245 on: February 12, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
The way he looks now makes me think "Necalli palette swap."  :doge

ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2246 on: February 12, 2018, 11:36:10 AM »
In SFV: AE, Blanka is living peacefully with his mother, and has adapted well to being introduced back into society. One day, a suspicious salesman approaches him and offers a way to make Blanka famous by mass producing a doll made in Blanka’s likeness. Will it work? Find out in his character story mode!
:lol

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2018/02/12/blanka-the-warrior-of-the-amazon-charges-in-to-street-fighter-v-arcade-edition-on-february-20

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2247 on: February 12, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »
I will not use Blanka unless it's that costume.
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2248 on: February 12, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »
Kind of want a Blanka plushie now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2249 on: February 12, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #2250 on: February 12, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »
Blanka vt2 is hype :gladbron
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2251 on: February 12, 2018, 04:24:09 PM »
I've never been much for Blanka's fighting style but that Talbain VT2 and a command grab makes me think he might be changed up a bit.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2252 on: February 12, 2018, 05:19:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/shoryukendotcom/status/963171372712243202

:doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dragon Ball FighterZ  [74.60%]
Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition  [69.37%]
Tekken 7  [69.21%]
Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2  [58.25%]
The King of Fighters XIV  [38.89%]
Injustice 2  [33.49%]
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U  [32.38%]
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike  [27.78%]
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2253 on: February 12, 2018, 08:48:56 PM »
when your game doesn't even get in on a fantasy vote :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i didn't vote for it either :lol
[close]

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #2254 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:59 PM »
I actually like blanka and hope they don't make him too techy.  :doge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2255 on: February 13, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »
Movelist is out, nothing out of the ordinary there. Command throw is HCB+P. Slightly surprised that his super isn't a charge but eh
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/character/blanka/movelist

Also WSO will be showing off Blanka in about 30min (3pm et) https://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:33:19 PM by nachobro »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2256 on: February 13, 2018, 11:25:46 PM »
Got completely wrecked online last night and lost like all of my points. So I decided to watch some videos for Sak and realized I've been playing her the complete wrong way. :lol So tonight I'm using more tatsus, changed my VT, and focusing more on the close game. Went about 50/50 but I got back the points I'd lost last night by the end of an hour and ended up in the same spot so that's something I guess. Progress is progress.  :yeshrug

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2257 on: February 14, 2018, 04:51:44 PM »
So I just bought a 21:9 monitor...anyone know if any fighting games support that by chance? :doge
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:07:12 PM by nachobro »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2258 on: February 14, 2018, 05:31:16 PM »
So I just bought a 21:9 monitor...anyone know if any fighting games support that by chance? :doge

injustice 2 on pc

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2259 on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
I've been wanting to get back into that because of the Turtles so this is perfect

thisismyusername

« Reply #2260 on: February 14, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »
Right. Good Old Games is doing a give-away before like 10AM tomorrow morning: You can get KoF2002 from there if any of you want it.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2261 on: February 14, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/963924037775671296

:heh I'm never going to be able to take Blanka remotely seriously now that he has this costume. Hell, I barely took him seriously before.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2262 on: February 14, 2018, 11:26:32 PM »
Best costume ever.

Chun Star Gladiator costume stuff starts tomorrow.  Must get.
ど助平

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2263 on: February 14, 2018, 11:34:44 PM »

Himu

« Reply #2264 on: February 14, 2018, 11:42:51 PM »
RIP
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #2265 on: February 15, 2018, 12:16:30 AM »
Remember MVCI?  :lol
http://steamcommunity.com/app/493840/discussions/0/1700542332328613093/

That's like 1 year after it released. Seems in line with Marvel's licensing to Capcom in the past. (IIRC the X-box and PS2 port of MvC2 was like 6 months?)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2266 on: February 15, 2018, 12:21:18 AM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #2267 on: February 15, 2018, 12:30:25 AM »
And FYI, the realistic artstyle had NOTHING to do with Marvel, they never gave any orders on how the art must look, the artstyle was done by Capcom because this game was the first fighting game that was built in-house by Capcom in over a decade. The problem was Capcom did not have the talent or the resources in-house to pick whatever artstyle they wanted, the resources and talent was extremely limited. Also the reason Captain Marvel looked better than Chun Li at first is because Captain Marvel was outsourced to a designer from France. The reason it took so long to fix Chun Li's face was because they had to outsource her to another designer to do the fixes, those "fixes" were not done by Capcom so I am just letting you guys know. This is why they didn't fix dante or anyone else.

Christ. I knew trOllno and Capcom were in the poorhouse, but they seriously couldn't hire said outsourcers to do the entire cast? :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2268 on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:59 AM »
Apparently that guy had a bunch of troll-like posts and initially had that post filled with dumb jokes, so I'm not getting why we're taking random Steam community post seriously.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2269 on: February 15, 2018, 09:13:31 AM »
BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle's DLC will apparently be $20 in total for all the extra characters.  Which isn't bad, sure, but this is still clearly them splitting the roster just so they can tack another $20 onto the price.  Fortunately it appears that this means it will cost $60 in the U.S. for everything, so normal pricing at least.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2270 on: February 15, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »
Apparently that guy had a bunch of troll-like posts and initially had that post filled with dumb jokes, so I'm not getting why we're taking random Steam community post seriously.
I guess it's cause he also called the shutdown date of Marvel Heroes before it happened? I dunno, I doubt MVCI is getting pulled

Re: DLC characters...anymore I just can't get worked up over it. Tekken is charging $16 for two of them, SFV is $30 for six, KI was $20 for eight and DBZ is charging whatever they're charging for eight. It sucks but it just seems that's the way it's done now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:47:28 AM by nachobro »

Tasty

« Reply #2271 on: February 15, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »

Keep going to bat for this game brehs :ufup

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2272 on: February 15, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »
It's a fun game with poor dev support, which leaves everything up to community. As a Melee stan you should sympathize  :trumps

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2273 on: February 15, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »

Keep going to bat for this game brehs :ufup

I am? ???  You're definitely reading me wrong on this one.  :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:06:18 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2274 on: February 15, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »
;)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2275 on: February 15, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »
I guess it's cause he also called the shutdown date of Marvel Heroes before it happened? I dunno, I doubt MVCI is getting pulled

Actually I can see it on the latter.  Whenever their deal expires they won't be able to sell it digitally anymore, just like what happened with the other Marvel games.  But happening like a year after release seems kind of suspect.

Re: DLC characters...anymore I just can't get worked up over it. Tekken is charging $16 for two of them, SFV is $30 for six, KI was $20 for eight and DBZ is charging whatever they're charging for eight. It sucks but it just seems that's the way it's done now.

What they're doing with BlazBlue reminds me of Street Fighter Vs. Tekken, though, I.E. "Hey!  We've got all these characters ready to go but are purposefully going to hold them back to sell them to you instead!"  I mean I guess you could say that all these games are like this, but I don't get the impression that the additions to Tekken 7, KI, and SFV were held back like that and are/were developed post-release.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2276 on: February 15, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »
I'll admit I haven't been paying much attention, are the BB Tag characters all day one? If so that's pretty fucked.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2277 on: February 15, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
I'll admit I haven't been paying much attention, are the BB Tag characters all day one? If so that's pretty fucked.

Not sure, but they keep showing off videos of all these "DLC" characters already up and running, so it reminds very much of SFxTK.  Good way to piss people off, unless it's true that getting everything will end up being sixty bucks.  At which point it's more like "what was the point of even doing this?"  :lol
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #2278 on: February 15, 2018, 11:28:34 PM »
It's a fun game with poor dev support, which leaves everything up to community. As a Melee stan you should sympathize  :trumps

But no:

Which Melee had (for the time).

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2279 on: February 16, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »