Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933889 times)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #9840 on: February 20, 2021, 10:31:55 AM »
This has five million views.

Sure you could argue some of that is people gawking at the weird thing but the follow up concert 3 years later has 2 million. People really really like Splatoon. You can't pretend that this fan remix by the almighty Gyari doesn't slap.

Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9841 on: February 20, 2021, 11:58:54 AM »
Splatoon 2 sold nearly 12 million copies worldwide. So yeah, it's definitely a popular franchise for Nintendo.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9842 on: February 20, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
HALO 3 - 2007 | 14+ million
Metroid Prime 3 - 2007 | 2+ million
Killzone 2 - 2009 | 1+ million
Miyamoto : "We could make HALO that shit's easy. We just choose not to design such simple minded shoot bang games" :snob
Xbots : "Nintendo can't make multiplayer shooting games - You don't have the graphics - Your online doesn't work - Old man out of touch"  :shaq2

Killzone Shadow Fall - 2014 | 2+ million
Halo 5: Guardians - 2015 | 5+ million
Splatoon - 2015 | 5+ million
Splatoon 2 - 2017 | 12+ million
Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - 2018
HALO Infinite 2020
HALO TV show 2021
Splatoon 3 - 2022
HALO Infinite - 20XX
HALO TV show 20XX

:miyamoto
🤴

Beezy

« Reply #9843 on: February 20, 2021, 12:19:37 PM »
I ignored the first game, but playing Splatoon 2 online was fun. I just wish I didn't get motion sickness while playing the campaign.

Tasty

« Reply #9844 on: February 20, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »
As long as Nintendo isn't stupid with their cash reserves, and some outside conglomerate doesn't attempt a hostile takeover, they really do have time on their side.

Just gotta wait out these young'uns, "Microsoft" and "Sony." :snob

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #9845 on: February 20, 2021, 09:04:56 PM »
I'm a huge Nintendo fan and the only Nintendo games that have gotten over 100 hours of play time in the last decade have been splatoon 1 and splatoon 2

Followed by botw at like 70 hours

And minecraft is essentially a Nintendo game

:idont
:O

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #9846 on: February 21, 2021, 01:48:20 AM »
I'm a huge Nintendo fan and the only Nintendo games that have gotten over 100 hours of play time in the last decade have been splatoon 1 and splatoon 2

Huge Nintendo fan yet doesn’t gladly buy barebones ports and remasters at full price?  :curious  :gurl  :bolo
Margs

james

« Reply #9847 on: February 21, 2021, 02:21:55 AM »

Huge Nintendo fan yet doesn’t gladly buy barebones ports and remasters at full price?  :curious  :gurl  :bolo

I own all the originals and they're plugged into the TV so...

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #9848 on: February 21, 2021, 03:21:44 AM »
If you stop paying the tithe, you’re no longer welcome in the Church of N  :miyamoto
Margs

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9849 on: February 21, 2021, 06:48:38 AM »
Man, Super Mario 3D World is short as hell. Took 12 hours to 100% it. (barring beating the levels with every character to get their stamps.)

Edit: Also, wow. Bowser's Fury is insanely good so far. I don't understand how they keep making it look so effortless to make a good 3D platformer.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:25:55 AM by HardcoreRetro »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9850 on: February 21, 2021, 12:34:43 PM »
Man, Super Mario 3D World is short as hell. Took 12 hours to 100% it. (barring beating the levels with every character to get their stamps.)

Edit: Also, wow. Bowser's Fury is insanely good so far. I don't understand how they keep making it look so effortless to make a good 3D platformer.

I played for a few hours last week and was surprised I already made it to the world 7 castle. But I'll have to go back and get the shit I missed on a lot of stages.
Will I finally be able to beat Champion's Road this time around? We shall see...
I feel I'm "better" and have more patience with games than I did back in 2014. Playing a lot of retro games lately has helped with that.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9851 on: February 21, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9852 on: February 21, 2021, 02:50:39 PM »
CAG, you were supposed to be on our side! 😩
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9853 on: February 21, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »
we made it  :tocry

Tasty

« Reply #9854 on: February 21, 2021, 03:28:31 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9855 on: February 22, 2021, 09:27:39 AM »
Just wait until they do this with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD!

:money
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #9856 on: February 22, 2021, 09:45:53 AM »
Just wait until they do this with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD!

:money

Those I'd happily rebuy at full price, quality level design and (in WW's case at least) art styles don't age. :yeshrug

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9857 on: February 22, 2021, 09:57:02 AM »
I wish they'd be able to push them to 60fps if they do re-release them.

Tasty

« Reply #9858 on: February 22, 2021, 11:37:16 AM »
I wish they'd be able to push them to 60fps if they do re-release them.

Switch Pro :money

james

« Reply #9859 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:38 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #9860 on: February 22, 2021, 05:29:53 PM »
Doing both :miyamoto

Tasty

« Reply #9861 on: February 22, 2021, 09:17:09 PM »

The hype :gladbron

Svejk

« Reply #9862 on: February 23, 2021, 08:18:57 AM »
I up and finally pulled the trigger on one of these things.  Found the AC Edition online, and I had old paypal funds I completely forgot about, so I dumped it on this and the Animal Crossing game.   I'm a bit excited, but a bit weary, as the thought of starting a new library of games when I have the greatest backlog I've ever had still elsewhere.  ...and the thought of prices for games on this thing are absurd as well.  ...maybe that's a good thing, as it will help prevent me from getting too much.  :doge

Like, BOTW for example... Still selling at $50?! 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9863 on: February 23, 2021, 10:32:58 AM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9864 on: February 23, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »
I up and finally pulled the trigger on one of these things.  Found the AC Edition online, and I had old paypal funds I completely forgot about, so I dumped it on this and the Animal Crossing game.   I'm a bit excited, but a bit weary, as the thought of starting a new library of games when I have the greatest backlog I've ever had still elsewhere.  ...and the thought of prices for games on this thing are absurd as well.  ...maybe that's a good thing, as it will help prevent me from getting too much.  :doge

(Image removed from quote.)

I recommend you don't stay all-digital with this system and get carts, too- some better deals can be found.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:43:26 AM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #9865 on: February 23, 2021, 10:46:20 AM »

What's your friend code? I can help you out in Animal Crossing, just let me know if you need anything. :) It would help if I visited so we can register as best friends and I can send you stuff in the mail. :heart

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9866 on: February 23, 2021, 10:49:32 AM »
Svejk, are you actually going to play AC?  My guess is it's for your kids?

EDIT: I see you said elsewhere it's for your daughter.  Makes sense.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #9867 on: February 23, 2021, 12:18:16 PM »

What's your friend code? I can help you out in Animal Crossing, just let me know if you need anything. :) It would help if I visited so we can register as best friends and I can send you stuff in the mail. :heart
Thank you for the offer :heart, but AC is mainly for my daughter.  I can't say I've had a desire to play AC (yet).  But again, thank you for the offer!
Svejk, are you actually going to play AC?  My guess is it's for your kids?

EDIT: I see you said elsewhere it's for your daughter.  Makes sense.
Yeah, for now... I think the 2 games I definitely want to get my hands on personally, are Mario Odyssey and Link's Awakening.

Now, the waiting game for the Zelda 35th Anniversary Direct to drop. :doggy

james

« Reply #9868 on: February 23, 2021, 01:40:18 PM »

Set up some price notifications with slick deals. All the big Nintendo games are put on sale at 40 every few months at Target or Walmart.

Tasty

« Reply #9869 on: February 23, 2021, 06:58:32 PM »

Thank you for the offer :heart, but AC is mainly for my daughter.  I can't say I've had a desire to play AC (yet).  But again, thank you for the offer!

NP!

Tasty

« Reply #9870 on: February 23, 2021, 08:29:40 PM »
Tetris 99 is so much fucking fun. When did they add team mode? Love it. Yellow team FTW.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9871 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:31 PM »
ど助平

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #9872 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:32 PM »

Another good JRPG on Switch
 :lawd

Been playing Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin, along with 3D World. After playing a fuck ton of 3D Mario the past year, 3D World is absolutely the most fun I've had with Mario in general. Best level design and pacing of any platformer.
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #9873 on: February 27, 2021, 12:41:27 AM »
Tempted to pick up BD2 but I want to finish BD1 first, and maybe play BD Second. Also no way I'd get to this before MH Rise is out in a month, so buying it at $60 when it'll be $30-40 in a couple months when I actually have time to play it is dumb.

Then again, pandemic boredom = oooh new rpg buy endorphins yayyy and then play an hour and shelve it. Trying to stay strong and save that $20-30.

Beezy

« Reply #9874 on: February 27, 2021, 03:39:34 AM »
Tempted to pick up BD2 but I want to finish BD1 first, and maybe play BD Second. Also no way I'd get to this before MH Rise is out in a month, so buying it at $60 when it'll be $30-40 in a couple months when I actually have time to play it is dumb.
:lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9875 on: February 27, 2021, 03:42:11 AM »
Yeah, The World Ends With You Switch port is still full price on Amazon. It and BD2 were published by Nintendo WW, so it may not really get discounted. This isn't Final Fantasy.

Bebpo

« Reply #9876 on: February 27, 2021, 03:53:05 AM »
Nintendo is publishing this and not SE?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9877 on: February 27, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »

S-E is publishing in Japan, Nintendo everywhere else.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #9878 on: February 27, 2021, 12:08:48 PM »

Damn, there goes my $30 sale price.

Beezy

« Reply #9879 on: February 27, 2021, 01:13:31 PM »
Ordered BD2 because I had some coupons/credits expiring from BB. I've never played the first two games, but that review sold me. Plus physical copies of rpgs for the Switch seem to disappear within a year (Octopath & XB2).

Tasty

« Reply #9880 on: February 28, 2021, 11:03:27 AM »
Downloaded the demo for FFCC Remastered, big mistake, I'm almost certainly going to be shelling out $30 for the full version when I hit the demo limits. 😬 The demo is essentially the full game including online, just with some minor limits, and you can transfer your save to the full version later if you want.

I know the gameplay isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it is much more basic than the two DS games (Ring of Fates and especially Echoes of Time) that vastly improved on the formula, and the online is region-segmented and likely dead now, but... nostalgia is a hell of a drug. :P And the presentation still holds up.

If anyone else has it and wants to play online before MH Rise takes over my life at the end of March, let me know! :D

Beezy

« Reply #9881 on: February 28, 2021, 11:55:47 AM »
I can join in sometime this week. I didn't like the reviews for it so I ignored it, but I didn't realize there was a demo like this out there.

Tasty

« Reply #9882 on: February 28, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »
I can join in sometime this week. I didn't like the reviews for it so I ignored it, but I didn't realize there was a demo like this out there.

Nice!

I also just learned only the host needs to have bought the full version, everyone else can be a free/"Lite" player. :o And even if it's region limited, PS4 + Switch + iOS + Android cross-play is pretty cool.

« Reply #9883 on: March 01, 2021, 12:35:30 PM »

Damn, there goes my $30 sale price.

You might get lucky at GameFly. They've had used copies of Octopath for $40 in the past.
野球

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #9884 on: March 01, 2021, 08:12:41 PM »
Bravery Default 2 is pretty awesome and addictive. The writing is good, the story itself has been a bit generic, but the music and gameplay are excellent.

Having the ability to jack up battle speed and repeat your last turn makes grinding next to painless. I've basically done all the prologue stuff, about to head where the demo takes place, but I've found a very efficient way to master jobs quickly.

The Freelancer job has two JP passives (Jobber points) , it ups the JP you get by x1.7. Combine that with using lure to trigger consecutive battles with specific families of monsters, you're looking at 500 JP for a juicy battle.

OH!

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #9885 on: March 01, 2021, 08:59:16 PM »
Good to hear, I was going to try it the other day, but then I fell asleep.  :doge

archnemesis

« Reply #9886 on: March 02, 2021, 02:07:43 AM »
You can also use the boat to passively collect job experience orbs while you're not playing the game. I'm spending them to unlock the JP boost abilities. Hopefully that will help out reducing the playtime from 60 to 40 hours.

Overall it's pretty good. Poor story, good combat.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9887 on: March 02, 2021, 03:43:28 AM »
The story seems even worse in this game compared to the first BD. At least there the characters were charming and had some conflict between them that was fun to follow. Here everyone is so buddy buddy right from the get-go and it's pretty boring.

Also, games are miracles that they even happen, somehow you get all this talent and resources together and you create something............so generic. Why? I mean I guess that's the point of BD, to be a throwback. But I think I'm tired of generic whatever fantasy in Japanese RPGS. They all feel the same. Here's the desert Arabian place...Here's the European castle place.. and so on. These aren't interesting worlds to learn about.

I don't know it's ok.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:53:11 AM by Rahxephon91 »

archnemesis

« Reply #9888 on: March 02, 2021, 03:51:59 AM »
Indeed. I'm maybe 4 hours in and all characters are a lot more bland compared to the first two Bravely Defaults. That being said it's still a lot better written than e.g. Alliance Alive or I am Setsuna.

paprikastaude

« Reply #9889 on: March 02, 2021, 05:27:38 AM »
Characters more bland than BD?

Svejk

« Reply #9890 on: March 02, 2021, 08:07:34 AM »
Was considering getting an good ol JRPG on this thing.  Is there one that's a must have/play one on the Switch that you all recommend?  I've kinda narrowed down between DQXI and Xenoblade Chronicles.  Never played DQXI, and only played a portion of XB.  Is there any other one's y'all would recommend over those? Is Octopath Traveler better? 

archnemesis

« Reply #9891 on: March 02, 2021, 08:50:57 AM »
Was considering getting an good ol JRPG on this thing.  Is there one that's a must have/play one on the Switch that you all recommend?  I've kinda narrowed down between DQXI and Xenoblade Chronicles.  Never played DQXI, and only played a portion of XB.  Is there any other one's y'all would recommend over those? Is Octopath Traveler better?
It's difficult to make recommendations without knowing your preferences. I don't consider any game on the Switch a must play even though it's a fantastic system.

I haven't enjoyed any of the Xenoblade games. I also didn't enjoy Final Fantasy XII which uses a similar combat system.

Dragon Quest XI is possibly the best game in the series. If you enjoy traditional JRPGs then that's your best bet.

I really enjoyed Octopath Traveler, but ended up dropping it towards the end.

I took a brief look at some "best RPGs for the Switch" articles. Many list games like The Witcher 3 and Divinity: Original Sin that I would much rather play on PC.

Svejk

« Reply #9892 on: March 02, 2021, 09:12:18 AM »
It's difficult to make recommendations without knowing your preferences. I don't consider any game on the Switch a must play even though it's a fantastic system.

I haven't enjoyed any of the Xenoblade games. I also didn't enjoy Final Fantasy XII which uses a similar combat system.

Dragon Quest XI is possibly the best game in the series. If you enjoy traditional JRPGs then that's your best bet.

I really enjoyed Octopath Traveler, but ended up dropping it towards the end.

I took a brief look at some "best RPGs for the Switch" articles. Many list games like The Witcher 3 and Divinity: Original Sin that I would much rather play on PC.
See, I completely forgot about FFXII on here.. Another game I only played a portion of, but dropped for some reason I can't remember back then.  And I didn't know Divinity was on here either.   :thinking
I'm down for almost anything turn based, or pseudo turn based (like FFXI & XB).  I think my current thought process is something shorter, but I'm totally in the wrong genre for shortness.  :-[
Why can't RPG's just be shorter like Suikoden 1 and Chrono Trigger? :-\   I'm just putting out feelers.. I'm probably never going to find time to actually complete one, but it'd be nice to at least have something to have on the side.  Octopath looks amazing, guess I'm wondering if the story (stories?) will keep my interest.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:16:26 AM by Svejk »

archnemesis

« Reply #9893 on: March 02, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »
If you enjoy older RPGs then there are plenty to choose from on the Switch. There are collections for the Mana and SaGa (Final Fantasy Legend) series, SNK 40th anniversary collection, a Mega Drive collection, the Final Fantasy games from PS1 and PS2, an improved version of Phantasy Star, etc. If you pay for Nintendo Online you also have some RPGs in the NES and SNES collections, e.g. Breath of Fire.

Many classic RPGs are missing, but if you want to feel nostalgic for a few hours then there are many alternatives.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9894 on: March 02, 2021, 11:53:33 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles is probably the best RPG on the system.
🤴

« Reply #9895 on: March 02, 2021, 07:50:04 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles is the best jrpg on switch. FF12 Zodiac Age is fun too, and The World Ends With You (but only good in handheld mode).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9896 on: March 02, 2021, 08:49:34 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles is like one of the best JRPGs ever.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #9897 on: March 02, 2021, 09:52:14 PM »
XC2's way better. Hate the lame corny characters in XC1.

I'd rate em DQ11> XC2>>>>>>>XCX (for posterity) >>>>>> XC1

XC1 was like gaming nyqil for me on the wii. as in it put my ass to sleep

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9898 on: March 02, 2021, 10:11:54 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles is the best jrpg on switch.

But only until the Legend of Mana Remaster comes out. :jeb
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #9899 on: March 02, 2021, 11:02:45 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles is like one of the best JRPGs ever.

I'd definitely put it in like top20-ish. Maybe would make the top10. In the last 15 years or whatever since it came out? Probably top5. Not a lot of great jrpgs in the last two decades.

XC2's way better. Hate the lame corny characters in XC1.

I'd rate em DQ11> XC2>>>>>>>XCX (for posterity) >>>>>> XC1

XC1 was like gaming nyqil for me on the wii. as in it put my ass to sleep

Yeah, I can't see this even if you don't like XC1.

Like maybe the battle system in XC2 is better. I never really liked XC2's battle system, so I wouldn't even give it that, but a lot of people really like XC2's combat. But like the field exploration is way worse, no contest. All that field skill gating bullshit? Gatcha pulls? Sidequests hidden behind gatch pulls and grinding dozens of different blades? Yeah, the field in XC2 look nice, but the field gameplay is mobile tedious shit. Even has a mobile mercenaries mode. XC1 fields are just straight up exploring, fighting and finding loot.

And the story is so much worse in XC2, the cast is a bunch of crappy lolis, the music is generally worse outside some locations. Basically XC2 is just prettier, has more lolis & tits, and a more flashy combat system.

Also XC2 barely has any mechs so it loses a ton there. XC1 has giant dead gods and awesome mecha shit. Also adult characters and a compelling story with twists and turns.

I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the worst game that Takahashi's directed. Xenosaga ep2 is worse but he didn't direct that iirc.