Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933813 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #10080 on: March 14, 2021, 09:15:23 PM »
It was up for pre-order for like a month or something. It's not like it was truly limited like before. You snooze you lose

You can buy my copy for $200 if you want
fat

Beezy

« Reply #10081 on: March 14, 2021, 10:40:48 PM »
So is Grandia HD Collection physical only a Limited Run release?? :steel

Yeah, and it looks like it sells for $110-$150 on eBay right now.  I wouldn't bother and just get it digital.
Wtf? I guess I'll keep my copy sealed.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10082 on: March 14, 2021, 10:51:17 PM »
Dont be weird beezy, play Grandia
fat

Beezy

« Reply #10083 on: March 14, 2021, 11:49:26 PM »
I also own it digitally, so I will. :)

I completely forgot that I ordered a physical copy from LRG until the day it got delivered.

Svejk

« Reply #10084 on: March 15, 2021, 07:34:14 AM »
Having a total mental block.... Having a hard time understanding how Skyward Sword will work using the motion controls while docked.  Will it even be possible? 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10085 on: March 15, 2021, 07:37:17 AM »
Having a total mental block.... Having a hard time understanding how Skyward Sword will work using the motion controls while docked.  Will it even be possible?

Use the joycons.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10086 on: March 15, 2021, 07:52:52 AM »

Use the joycons.
Right... the joycon motion controls...  Can they only be used as in handheld mode (propping the screen up) on the switch screen itself?  I have my switch dock perpendicular to my tv.  How will it understand motion controls that way on the tv?  Is that part of the calibration?    Maybe I have zero understanding on how well bluetooth can be utilized.   ???

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10087 on: March 15, 2021, 07:59:40 AM »
Yeah, it's not the Wii- you don't need a sensor set up.
ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #10088 on: March 15, 2021, 08:54:04 AM »

Isn't it the other way round? They can't be used undocked? That's where the right stick will be used.

Also the motion controls use the accelerometers as they did on the wii. Pointer controls are also done with the accelerometers I think. This is where wii used the sensor bar but you don't need that anymore.
Gulp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10089 on: March 15, 2021, 09:28:04 AM »
I've never heard of the Cotton games. I want this.

I want to say only the NeoGeo Pocket Color port of the original got and English release, so it's a little-known series.  If you want to check the older games out, get them emulated, because they sell for insane amounts of money.  There's two types of Cotton games- side-scrolling and behind the back Space Harrier style, with the side-scrolling ones being more popular.  You can find info on them here:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/cotton/

I've played and owned all of these in the past and they're all pretty solid except for Rainbow on the Dreamcast.  Thought it was too slow and kind of boring.  Panorama Cotton on the Mega Drive was much better and is a really impressive game on the system.  It got fan-translated!  Need to check that out again.

Believe it or not, the PC Engine CD Cotton got a release for the US Duo. As you can imagine, it's extremely rare and expensive. I've played some of the Japanese PCE release, damn the game is hard af.
^_^

« Reply #10090 on: March 16, 2021, 02:18:34 AM »
The way to play Skyward Sword in any mode is to play a good game instead.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10091 on: March 16, 2021, 02:26:32 AM »
 :confused

Svejk

« Reply #10092 on: March 16, 2021, 07:13:31 AM »
The way to play Skyward Sword in any mode is to play a good game instead.
Still light years better than Majora's Mask.  :smug  SS has some of the best Zelda level/dungeon designs, and one of the best scores for a Zelda game too.  Granted, like every game, it certainly has it's flaws and tedium. .  I'm pretty sure there'll be some QOL improvements on it like they did with every other Zelda HD/remake port.  Like cut down the collect-a-thon shit in the Silent Realms and offer better save options.

Svejk

« Reply #10093 on: March 16, 2021, 07:28:18 AM »
Seriously though, where TF is the Zelda 35th Anniversary info???  This was the main trigger for me picking up a Smitch this year...  And so far, just a SS port?!  :-\

I would absolutely lose my shit if that rumor that they're completely remaking OoT were true, but taking that with a boulder of salt.   But I'm guessing they'll just port the 3DS versions of OoT and MM (maybe even ALBW?...please?)?  Have the touch screen options setup more like the older menus?  They wouldn't just drop the N64 versions on there, would they??  Oh wait...  :doge  But still... give us something.  I still really doubt BOTW2 will drop this year and will be a Spring 2022 release... which is fine, just give me moar Zeldas on this piece piece!!  How about the Oracle games and Minish Cap too?  Would LOVE to see the LA treatment with those games! 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10094 on: March 16, 2021, 09:06:28 AM »
Seriously though, where TF is the Zelda 35th Anniversary info???  This was the main trigger for me picking up a Smitch this year...  And so far, just a SS port?!  :-\

My guess is they are waiting for the Mario 35 stuff to be over before they do stuff with Zelda.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10095 on: March 16, 2021, 09:23:21 AM »

My guess is they are waiting for the Mario 35 stuff to be over before they do stuff with Zelda.
According to googlez, it's suppose to end March 31st...

Beezy

« Reply #10096 on: March 23, 2021, 04:04:34 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-23/nintendo-to-use-new-nvidia-graphics-chip-in-2021-switch-upgrade

The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.

The U.S. company’s new chipset will also bring a better CPU and increased memory. DLSS support will require new code to be added to games, so it’ll primarily be used to improve graphics on upcoming titles, said the people, including multiple game developers. Bloomberg News previously reported that the new Switch is likely to include a 7-inch OLED screen from Samsung Display Co. and couple the console’s release with a bounty of new games.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10097 on: March 23, 2021, 07:10:48 AM »
It's good to see they also adressed the broken controllers.

Svejk

« Reply #10098 on: March 23, 2021, 07:22:58 AM »
Since we're supposedly in a "chip crisis", who knows how limited these things will be.  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10099 on: March 23, 2021, 12:59:45 PM »
Nvidia and Nintendo will flood the market with Switch hardware using Nintendo magic*, pushing Xbox, AMD and Snoy out of the market :miyamoto

left-over inventory of 3 year old hardware
[close]
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10100 on: March 23, 2021, 05:42:10 PM »
could be they are getting samsung to make these new chips instead of tsmc who are the ones experiencing the big delays on 7nm amd chips and all the stuff car manufacturers need. they already have a deal w samsung making ampere chips and made some unspecified new deal in december
◕‿◕

SmokyDave

« Reply #10101 on: March 25, 2021, 06:38:26 AM »
Anyone know of any sites that track what's on sale on the eShop? Browsing the store takes so long that I start to regret my life choices but I'm a sucker for the cheap janky sims that go on 90% sale.

Fifstar

« Reply #10102 on: March 25, 2021, 07:31:23 AM »
Gulp

SmokyDave

« Reply #10103 on: March 25, 2021, 08:18:28 AM »
https://www.dekudeals.com/ is pretty good.
Ah, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much for your help :)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10104 on: March 25, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »
I think this likely :no1curr, but just in case-

Do not purchase Cotton Reboot's "Asian English" physical release if you want English language.  Despite the listing and it coming out three weeks after the Japanese version, it is literally the same game with a sticker slapped on the outside of the packaging, which means when you update the game to version 1.01, it will remove English from the game.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10105 on: March 27, 2021, 06:33:25 PM »
Finished Bravely Default 2 and it was ok. The story and world never do anything really neat. While the writing is ok and it can get surprisingly dark, it's just not clever at all. The whole soul of the game reminds me of being around that dude at work who has all the candor of a funny person but tells the corniest jokes that don't hit. It also thinks it's clever, but the whole fake ending stuff is really tiring me in Japanese games.

The battle system is nice. The jobs and how passive abilities work really makes you think methodically about how you set-up your party. Though strangely magic seems really weak and in the end it seemed much more effective to just give my characters axes and just let them be the best physical fighters they could be.

I don't know, it's 2021. JRPGS are in a good place and BD2 is just a pretty average game at best.

Bebpo

« Reply #10106 on: March 27, 2021, 07:21:31 PM »
That's a shame.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10107 on: March 31, 2021, 09:11:41 PM »
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/fighting-ex-layer-another-dash-now-available-in-japan-due-out-in-april-in-the-west

Arika has released the recently announced Fighting EX Layer: Another Dash for Switch via the Nintendo eShop in Japan as a free download. An exact release date for North America and Europe has yet to be determined, but it is planned to launch sometime in April.

The free base download includes Arcade Mode and local offline multiplayer with four characters. By purchasing the 2,800 yen “Full Pack,” you will gain access to Training Mode, online ranked and casual matches, and an additional 14 characters for a total of 18 playable characters (plus all color options). A future update will add an online spectate mode.

It's a great port.  Runs in full English too!
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10108 on: April 03, 2021, 05:30:45 PM »
fat

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10109 on: April 03, 2021, 08:37:35 PM »
I got on my switch to get lego city undercover and saw that wonder boy remake and herzog zwei were on sale and used my Nintendo bucks on those instead.

Bebpo

« Reply #10110 on: April 03, 2021, 09:17:01 PM »
Lego City Undercover only $6

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/lego-city-undercover-switch/

What's the selling point of this one?

Usually the Lego games are good because the licenses. Gameplay is usually pretty simple.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10111 on: April 03, 2021, 10:09:22 PM »
Lego City Undercover is kinda like GTA: Kids, isn't it?
dog

archnemesis

« Reply #10112 on: April 04, 2021, 07:03:26 AM »
Lego City Undercover is kinda like GTA: Kids, isn't it?
I haven't played a GTA since Vice City, but yes it is quite close to what GTA was back then. Out of the seven Lego games that I've sampled, Lego City is by far the best. My kids love it.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #10113 on: April 04, 2021, 06:50:57 PM »
Hand-held performance is pretty bad but for $6 it's fine. Loading times are a bigger issue for it on Switch imo
itm

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10114 on: April 05, 2021, 05:06:19 AM »
Lego City was great on WiiU. Loading times were a bitch though.

For $6 it's well worth it.
Spud

archnemesis

« Reply #10115 on: April 05, 2021, 06:04:06 AM »
For some reason it's $16 in my region. 75% off, but with a higher base price.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10116 on: April 06, 2021, 10:45:18 PM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #10117 on: April 07, 2021, 12:36:09 AM »
:o Strangely way more excited for that than Mario 99 or whatever.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10118 on: April 07, 2021, 08:09:43 AM »
:o Strangely way more excited for that than Mario 99 or whatever.

Interested in checking it out- Tetris 99 is a lot of fun!  This isn't going to get shut down after a few months like Mario 35, either.
ど助平

« Reply #10119 on: April 08, 2021, 02:16:02 AM »
anyone here play yugioh legacy of the duelist link evolution?

Tasty

« Reply #10120 on: April 08, 2021, 02:19:01 AM »

I've been leaning towards getting it but waiting for a good sale. 😬

Things is, even though it's dumbed down babby YGO I've invested a bit in Duel Links, and still find that quite fun... so it's hard to justify a full price YGO game in comparison. It's literally just "good enough" lol.

Link Evolution is supposed to be quite good though.

Beezy

« Reply #10121 on: April 08, 2021, 02:20:21 AM »
I can see my self spending a lot of time on PacMan 99. Highest I've placed so far is 4th.

« Reply #10122 on: April 08, 2021, 05:21:03 AM »

I've been leaning towards getting it but waiting for a good sale. 😬

Things is, even though it's dumbed down babby YGO I've invested a bit in Duel Links, and still find that quite fun... so it's hard to justify a full price YGO game in comparison. It's literally just "good enough" lol.

Link Evolution is supposed to be quite good though.

i bought recently on a whim because i've been rewatching the original anime. its actually pretty fun. super low budget, but it has 10,000 cards and no microtransactions. im gonna try to build a deck and take it online

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10123 on: April 08, 2021, 06:47:31 AM »
I can see my self spending a lot of time on PacMan 99. Highest I've placed so far is 4th.
I'm not quite getting the gameplay. Outside of the usual Pac-Man thing, what is the objective?
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10124 on: April 08, 2021, 07:10:45 AM »
I'm not quite getting the gameplay. Outside of the usual Pac-Man thing, what is the objective?

Seems like the focus is on trying to eat as many ghosts as possible to take out other players.  You can eat fruit to regenerate the board.

I got the paid content- the themes are crazy.  Some of them completely change the look of the entire game, including sprite sizes.
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10125 on: April 08, 2021, 07:53:52 AM »

Seems like the focus is on trying to eat as many ghosts as possible to take out other players.  You can eat fruit to regenerate the board.

I got the paid content- the themes are crazy.  Some of them completely change the look of the entire game, including sprite sizes.
Ahhh, I was wondering about that because I cleared the board and it just stayed blank.
Spud

Beezy

« Reply #10126 on: April 08, 2021, 09:30:01 AM »
I need to know what the Stronger and Train power ups do. Bork, how much is the paid content?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10127 on: April 08, 2021, 10:04:57 AM »
I need to know what the Stronger and Train power ups do. Bork, how much is the paid content?

$30 for everything (all themes, modes, etc.).  You can also pay $15 to unlock all the modes and then you can buy the individual themes for $2 each IIRC.

ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #10128 on: April 08, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »
More like Crack-Man 99 :lawd :whew

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10129 on: April 08, 2021, 06:39:16 PM »
Pac-Man has all the best variants.   :delicious

I wonder if this could best Pac-Man 256 for me.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10130 on: April 08, 2021, 07:14:03 PM »
Red Pac-Men are some bullshit
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10131 on: April 08, 2021, 07:37:23 PM »
Communist Pac Man  :holeup
🤴

Tasty

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10133 on: April 13, 2021, 11:46:08 AM »
:nope

The true OG:

:ohyeah
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #10134 on: April 13, 2021, 12:17:48 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #10135 on: April 13, 2021, 09:00:07 PM »

pictured: me playing Pac-Man 99

I thought my Tetris 99 addiction would be bad... :doge Just shelled out $15 for score attack. :snoop

Tasty

« Reply #10136 on: April 13, 2021, 10:57:27 PM »
protips (ymmv):

- use the vector theme
- update the controls so the L stick can control movement (and use it in-game)
- I generally play defensively, so power-up = Speed and target = Counter
- however sometimes at the 50 mark (simple and hard to miss demarcation) I switch to offensive: power-up = Strong and target = Knockout.
- you gain a permanent speed boost for the game if you collect all the dots before getting the fruit to reset the board
- I attempt to do so (get all dots) as long as possible until Red Pac-Men show up, then I switch 100% to survival
- Power Pellets clear all Ghost Pac-Men and stall Red Pac-Men; only a fruit can clear Red Pac-Men
- "cutting corners" will cause sparks and make you very very temporarily invincible when rounding a corner (if you have good timing)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:23:40 AM by Tasty »

« Reply #10137 on: April 14, 2021, 04:23:20 AM »
She's finally released.

I think I will get it this weekend and give a review. It looks so funny.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10138 on: April 14, 2021, 12:55:10 PM »

:hulk
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #10139 on: April 14, 2021, 03:00:42 PM »
No lightgun, don't care.