Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 934246 times)

Tasty

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #10140 on: April 14, 2021, 03:04:17 PM »

:hulk

GODDAMN THEY FINALLY SHOWED IT!!! :gladbron

No lightgun, don't care.

You'll be there day one when the secret Typing of the Dead Mode is revealed. ;) :miyamoto

Tasty

« Reply #10141 on: April 14, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
That trailer :ohhh

Dat blend of old and new cheesiness :lawd

All my Switch dreams are coming true  :titus

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10142 on: April 14, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »

:hulk

Can I use my Wii Zapper?

Wait, who the fuck is forever entertainment? WHERE IS SEGA
:O

Tasty

« Reply #10143 on: April 14, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »
Forever Entertainment is basically Sega second-party right now, they did Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 Remakes. (Which for the record received major post-launch support to address various shortcomings in the original set of reviews.)

They got Sega's blessing to make remakes for HotD 1 & 2 in later 2019. :)

I am excited. :lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10144 on: April 14, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »
No lightgun, don't care.

Point a joycon at the screen...?
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10145 on: April 19, 2021, 03:24:00 PM »
Guess the Switch now has the highest rated game of all time.

Bebpo

« Reply #10146 on: April 19, 2021, 03:52:23 PM »
I mean it's one of the best story experiences of all time for me, so I have no issue with it being up there with Half-Life 2 and Zelda OoT and stuff.

But that being said, it has like 4 reviews lol

Tasty

« Reply #10147 on: April 19, 2021, 04:05:06 PM »
the highest rated game

:thinking

a full-length visual novel

:ufup

Bebpo

« Reply #10148 on: April 19, 2021, 04:11:01 PM »
One of the games has like four yes/no choices...

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10149 on: April 19, 2021, 04:16:33 PM »
One of the games has like four yes/no choices...

Still better gameplay than Balan Wonderland.
©@©™

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10150 on: April 19, 2021, 09:21:33 PM »
I am afraid of Fata Morgana because HLTB has it pegged at 28 hours. I already made it through Patient Zero of the VN world YU-NO so I'm not sure if I need this in my life, especially since I devoted my existence to playing Ys games now

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10151 on: April 19, 2021, 10:09:41 PM »
Is it that good even if you don't usually have an interest in visual novels?

Bebpo

« Reply #10152 on: April 19, 2021, 10:22:19 PM »
I am afraid of Fata Morgana because HLTB has it pegged at 28 hours. I already made it through Patient Zero of the VN world YU-NO so I'm not sure if I need this in my life, especially since I devoted my existence to playing Ys games now

That sounds about right. The Switch version is 3 games though, it's really a trilogy and the Vita & Switch versions have the whole thing. It goes like this:

Fata Morgana - ~30 hour very good length big story broken into a handful of interconnected sub stories that are like 4-5 hours each. There's a couple stories in there that are :chef's kiss and it comes together great in the end
Prequel - ~10 hour extremely good VN, like 11/10 shit right there; will destroy your soul though
Epilogue Sequel - ~4-5 hour nice little wrap up that ends everything in a very satisfying way

All combined you're probably looking at around 45 hours for the full thing.

Is it that good even if you don't usually have an interest in visual novels?

Depends. Do you like books?

I mean someone who does not like reading books and doesn't like reading VNs, probably won't stick with it because it's still just a book with nice music and some pictures and maybe some VA (not sure if this has full VA, the original release didn't have any VA).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10153 on: April 19, 2021, 11:17:08 PM »
I mean I guess my question really is...is it super animu? Or is it more "mature" Japanese storytelling?

Bebpo

« Reply #10154 on: April 20, 2021, 03:55:16 AM »
It's about the furthest thing from anime there is.

It's a lot closer to a western novel. Don't be fooled with the first story after the intro opening with loli kids. That's about the only anime-like bit and it gets past it quick.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10155 on: April 20, 2021, 03:55:56 AM »
:nope

The true OG:
(Image removed from quote.)
:ohyeah

If they produced a switch light in that translucent color, I think I would have to buy the damn console all over again.

Tasty

« Reply #10156 on: April 20, 2021, 08:16:21 AM »
Don't be fooled with the first story after the intro opening with loli kids.

:beli Why does so much media from Japan always gotta have this asterisk. :beli

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10157 on: April 20, 2021, 08:26:27 AM »
They were just kids, not sexualized. No clue why he's using loli to describe it.

Bebpo

« Reply #10158 on: April 20, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »
They were just kids, not sexualized. No clue why he's using loli to describe it.

I mean it opens with a story about a little girl that wants to fuck her brother to this

It's very Japan initially, which being the start may give the impression the stories will all be like that, which none of the others are and even that story really isn't with the direction it goes.

Tasty

« Reply #10159 on: April 20, 2021, 11:57:26 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
She first takes them to 1603, where the mansion is inhabited by young aristocrat siblings Mell and Nellie Rhodes. One night a mysterious White-Haired Girl with pale skin and red eyes arrives at the mansion Mell catches her speaking to the Maid (who also lives in this time and appears no different) and is instantly smitten. The White-Haired Girl reveals to Mell that her father was a painter for the household but was kicked out and died in the streets. Mell apologizes for his family's actions, and the two begin a relationship. Nellie is driven mad with jealousy and discovers that the painter had slept with her and Mell's mother, resulting in the White-Haired Girl's birth and his expulsion. Nellie reveal this to Mell, as well as her own romantic feelings for him, leaving him distraught.
[close]

:jeanluc

And I thought the teenage cousin incest in SAO was a new low for Japanese mass media.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10160 on: April 20, 2021, 12:24:20 PM »
I mean it opens with a story about a little girl that wants to fuck her brother

That feels like the absolute worst reading of the scene. It shows a childhood infatuation culminating in obsession, but none of it is sexualized.

By that account Romeo and Juliet is a lolicon story as well.

The childhood obsession bit felt very european to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #10161 on: April 20, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »
I mean it opens with a story about a little girl that wants to fuck her brother

That feels like the absolute worst reading of the scene. It shows a childhood infatuation culminating in obsession, but none of it is sexualized.

By that account Romeo and Juliet is a lolicon story as well.

The childhood obsession bit felt very european to me.

I mean it kind of is?

Also it sounds like we're talking about different definitions of loli. You mean it literally when I just call everything animu with little girls acting cute loli these days.

And yeah in Morgana that part is not sexualized but it's still romantic oniiichan obsession which is anime 101.

It's also very European because it takes place in period piece Europe.

Bebpo

« Reply #10162 on: April 20, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »
She first takes them to 1603, where the mansion is inhabited by young aristocrat siblings Mell and Nellie Rhodes. One night a mysterious White-Haired Girl with pale skin and red eyes arrives at the mansion Mell catches her speaking to the Maid (who also lives in this time and appears no different) and is instantly smitten. The White-Haired Girl reveals to Mell that her father was a painter for the household but was kicked out and died in the streets. Mell apologizes for his family's actions, and the two begin a relationship. Nellie is driven mad with jealousy and discovers that the painter had slept with her and Mell's mother, resulting in the White-Haired Girl's birth and his expulsion. Nellie reveal this to Mell, as well as her own romantic feelings for him, leaving him distraught.
[close]

:jeanluc

And I thought the teenage cousin incest in SAO was a new low for Japanese mass media.

The rest of the stories are really, really good. But it does get pretty fucking dark a lot.

It's a heavy R-rated+ VN. There's some really disturbing stuff in there.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10163 on: April 20, 2021, 02:01:35 PM »
It’s not really for me, but none of that sounds like a problem in my opinion; regular old literature has already been exploring these kinds of themes for centuries and has proven that they can be for more than titillation or kinks.  As long as the writing is well done, I’m all for more stories in narrative-driven games having more variance than the common templates we see.  Anyone who’s prudish about examinations of human sexuality and desire can stick with all manner of variety in dumb action shit, that swathe of genres is well-represented.

Of course, then the artists come in and often do their damndest to ruin things...

james

« Reply #10164 on: April 20, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »
 :rash

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10165 on: April 21, 2021, 01:13:24 PM »
Wonder Boy: Asha In Monster World is up now on the Japanese eShop and will run in full English.  Decided to grab it since the U.S. version still has no set release date.  Maybe the end of next month if the physical release is anything to go by.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #10166 on: April 21, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
It’s not really for me, but none of that sounds like a problem in my opinion; regular old literature has already been exploring these kinds of themes for centuries and has proven that they can be for more than titillation or kinks.  As long as the writing is well done, I’m all for more stories in narrative-driven games having more variance than the common templates we see.  Anyone who’s prudish about examinations of human sexuality and desire can stick with all manner of variety in dumb action shit, that swathe of genres is well-represented.

On one hand, tnis.

On the other, the animu way :holeup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10167 on: April 21, 2021, 01:37:01 PM »
Wonder Boy: Asha In Monster World is up now on the Japanese eShop and will run in full English.  Decided to grab it since the U.S. version still has no set release date.  Maybe the end of next month if the physical release is anything to go by.

The game plays fine, but the framerate is pretty janky.  :-\
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10168 on: April 21, 2021, 02:07:46 PM »

What?!  This is out already?! wtf
and wtf is the framerate all about? 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10169 on: April 21, 2021, 02:10:47 PM »

I suspect (hope) it's how the game runs on Switch and it will be smoother on other platforms.  Maybe they'll patch it.  It's really weird because it feels like Asha and the enemies are moving at 60 FPS but the backgrounds are moving at 20-30 FPS.  I suspect that's not the case and it's just a janky 30.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10170 on: April 21, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »

I suspect (hope) it's how the game runs on Switch and it will be smoother on other platforms.  Maybe they'll patch it.  It's really weird because it feels like Asha and the enemies are moving at 60 FPS but the backgrounds are moving at 20-30 FPS.  I suspect that's not the case and it's just a janky 30.
That's weird..  Yeah, not seeing any US date yet.  :-\  Will most likely scoop this on PS instead though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10171 on: April 21, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »

That's weird..  Yeah, not seeing any US date yet.  :-\  Will most likely scoop this on PS instead though.

Probably next month- the regular physical versions from ININ are listed as coming out on 5/28 on Amazon.

There's no reason for the game to run this way- it's not exactly an impressive title visually.  I don't get it.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10172 on: April 21, 2021, 02:48:49 PM »
Such a gap between releases too... Sounds like they dropped a beta on the jp e-shop or something.  :doge

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10173 on: April 21, 2021, 04:15:52 PM »
It's about the furthest thing from anime there is.

It's a lot closer to a western novel. Don't be fooled with the first story after the intro opening with loli kids. That's about the only anime-like bit and it gets past it quick.
Ok, well maybe I’ll take a chance on the limited run release.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10174 on: April 21, 2021, 08:24:33 PM »
Such a gap between releases too... Sounds like they dropped a beta on the jp e-shop or something.  :doge

Nah, that's kinda normal for these guys.  I mean, Cotton Reboot came out in February, with full English, and they patched it OUT presumably to wait for the U.S. release, which still hasn't happened yet.  The Ninja Saviors took a while to come out after the Japanese and Asian releases, too.  ININ Games is a weird publisher.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #10175 on: April 22, 2021, 08:43:17 PM »

Been consistently cracking top 10 for a while (and top 5 for the past few days), just got Pac-One for the first time! :D

My strategy has mostly stayed the same, although I've recognized the value in KOs and especially badges -- they really save your ass in the endgame.

Playtime for this might outpace MH Rise which I was a million times more excited for. :doge Send help. :stahp

Beezy

« Reply #10176 on: April 23, 2021, 02:28:00 AM »
I placed first while at rank 7. 8)

Tasty

« Reply #10177 on: April 23, 2021, 07:43:48 AM »
I placed first while at rank 7. 8)

:o :bow My Pac skills needed building up again, haven't really played in >10 years.

Beezy

« Reply #10178 on: April 23, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »
Me neither honestly. I was just trying to survive once the field was down to 20 or 10 and then the match ended. It took me a second to realize that I won. :lol

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #10180 on: April 27, 2021, 10:00:57 AM »

Outta nowhere three years after release 🤯

Not quite Welcome Amiibo territory but close.

Tasty

« Reply #10181 on: April 27, 2021, 10:02:36 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10182 on: April 27, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »
I'm still waiting for that Mario Kart 8 update with more tracks.
I basically want every Mario Kart track in that engine.

But I'm just sitting here watching them poop out updates for Mario Kart on phones instead  :(
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #10183 on: April 27, 2021, 01:44:52 PM »
Moar battle tracks and options plox :mouf

Svejk

« Reply #10184 on: April 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM »
Mario Kart 9 go BRRRRR moar than updatez.
 :miyamoto

Same with making a Mario Maker 3.. or Zelda Maker... or Metroid Maker.... Or F-Zero maker...
:miyamoto
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #10185 on: April 27, 2021, 06:33:10 PM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10186 on: April 27, 2021, 08:47:02 PM »
F-Zero   :woody

james

« Reply #10187 on: April 28, 2021, 01:04:59 AM »
I'm still waiting for that Mario Kart 8 update with more tracks.
I basically want every Mario Kart track in that engine.

But I'm just sitting here watching them poop out updates for Mario Kart on phones instead  :(

If they want to make money without actually spending money, they simply need to make the Arcade games available in the e-shop

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10188 on: April 28, 2021, 12:01:16 PM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #10189 on: April 28, 2021, 12:28:48 PM »
[for Nintendo Switcheeeeeee]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10190 on: April 28, 2021, 12:41:58 PM »
Seems the new Pokemon Snap is actually decent? Wasn't expecting that at all.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10191 on: April 28, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »
New Pokémon Snap might be one of the most thoroughly pleasant games that’s come out for the Switch, if not ever. While the core gameplay is the same as it was in 1999, everything about the 2021 game is better. The environments are visual delights, the Pokémon are lovingly recreated, and the progression and pacing are just right. If the hobby of gaming has started to feel like a second or third job, then New Pokémon Snap might just be the vacation you need.

Fans clamored for a Pokemon Snap remake for years, and with New Pokemon Snap, we've gotten even more than we bargained for: a great sequel that pulls from all eight generations of Pokemon released so far, dynamic courses that can be explored during both daytime and nighttime, and the ability to create an album of edited, personalized Pokemon photos (which you can then print or post online, a fitting evolution of the game in the social media era). Though there's sometimes a disparity between photos that make it into your Photodex and the ones you like the most, the core motivation of catching a Pokemon doing something particularly cool remains the driving force and the satisfying draw of New Pokemon Snap. 20 years later, taking photos of Pokemon in the wild remains as fun and exhilarating as it always was, and though it's been a long time coming, New Pokemon Snap was worth the wait.

80/100 on Metacritic  :leon
🤴

Coffee Dog

« Reply #10192 on: April 28, 2021, 03:16:19 PM »
The fact there is an XP bar makes me wary of how they bumped the playtime past the 10 hour mark, but I'm still going to buy it because it's Pokemon Snap so I'll find out firsthand.  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10193 on: April 29, 2021, 02:21:50 PM »

:heart
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #10194 on: April 29, 2021, 02:52:40 PM »
If I don't play pokemon would I like snap.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10195 on: April 29, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
 :rash

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10196 on: April 29, 2021, 05:34:26 PM »

you never played even a 1st or 2nd gen pokemon game?
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #10197 on: April 29, 2021, 06:57:18 PM »
It's totally different gameplay from the core series, but the same aesthetics and Pokemon obviously. If you were OK with the anime back in the day and dig photography/Instagram you might like Snap. The original also faintly scratched the "on-rails shooter" itch.

Bebpo

« Reply #10198 on: April 29, 2021, 07:27:54 PM »

you never played even a 1st or 2nd gen pokemon game?

I played one pokemon game in my life.
Never watched the anime.
I mean I enjoyed the one game I played as an rpg, just was way too easy for an rpg.

I like photography and good games tho

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10199 on: April 29, 2021, 08:06:31 PM »
the adventure and collecting pokemons is the draw, not a deep combat system. i think those early ones balanced it quite well though if not grinding out high level pokemons, about as complex as say FF10 where you don't have an ATB and can switch into the right character for the situation at any given time. for sure much simpler though in terms of combat abilities, by necessity though i guess considering the depth of the roster

i remember ruby/emerald being a pretty decent challenge too.

anyway, yeah, just pretty surprising such a big jrpg fan has mostly ignored such an iconic series! from what i have played the series varies considerably in difficulty (and polish) between entries.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:13:34 PM by naff »
◕‿◕