Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5450617 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The Benji Memo
« Reply #13980 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I remember when that Nation story hit and hearing a lot of "oh look a LIBERAL magazine picked up the story, checkmate!" Which was a dead giveaway that the person speaking hadn't been paying attention until very recently. Cause this has been an issue with Katrina vanden Huevel and her husband for a few years now.
[close]
They've got a reputation to keep as an insurgent newspaper but they've failed at maintaining any kind of quality. There is so much they could report against mainstream Democrats that the selection they do make is empurpling all on its own.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13981 on: February 07, 2018, 02:49:58 AM »
The Nation still has some good stuff, but it feels weirdly irrelevant given the Sanders campaign, the DSA, and the energy on the left generally.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #13982 on: February 07, 2018, 03:05:23 AM »
yeah the nation falls in between a lot of the divisions on the left where they're too mainstream for the Bernie camp and too marginal for the establishment types. Doesn't help that they feel very old media as well.
I still have a soft spot for the magazine from reading it as a teenager. The days when Hitchens and Cockburn would spend six months worth of issues sniping at each other :lawd

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #13983 on: February 07, 2018, 03:52:46 AM »
Why, because of the Russia story?

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #13984 on: February 07, 2018, 07:51:28 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Lookin good, Trey!
“I’ll take men who look like middle aged lesbians for 400, Alex.”

:doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #13986 on: February 07, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »
But he totally owned that newscaster, though...

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #13987 on: February 07, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »
At least Pence is qualified to be president, won't start a nuclear war, and likely not indebted to a foreign government.

Honestly mixed on Pence. Sure he is far less likely to get us all killed . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/us/politics/mike-pence-needle-exchanges-indiana.html

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13988 on: February 07, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »
At least Pence is qualified to be president, won't start a nuclear war, and likely not indebted to a foreign government.

Honestly mixed on Pence. Sure he is far less likely to get us all killed . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/us/politics/mike-pence-needle-exchanges-indiana.html
Pence is right though, you shouldn't interfere with gods work. If druggies want to kill themselves with used syringes after they vote for Donald Trump it's all part of gods plan.
🤴

studyguy

« Reply #13989 on: February 07, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »
re: dreamers being "too lazy" to register for DACA

At the time, there was a lot of discussion about whether potential beneficiaries would trust the government enough to sign up. They were being asked to hand over information that could easily be used to deport them if the policy were reversed. In light of the current administration, that seems pretty relevant.

My friend went behind his parent's back to sign up over how afraid they were for him.
Guy wanted to get grants to go to college so... what else could the kid do.

Now he's facing less than 2 years down the barrel and people are wondering why suddenly boring ass dems are turning into fanatics.

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/961391853542297600
Also this guy's resume is amazing
pause

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #13990 on: February 07, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/02/jordan-peterson-enlightenment-nietzsche-alt-right
you gotta love the attempt to fight fire with fire here:
Our tragedy as human beings is much more banal than Peterson’s romanticism would have it. We do contend with a fundamental irrationalism, but it doesn’t come from an inherently unknowable and mysterious world. Rather, it comes from capitalism.
bold strategy cotton

Nola

« Reply #13991 on: February 07, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
- Little Marco
- Rocket Man
- Sloppy Steve
- Low Energy Jeb

Cadet Bone Spurs

I'd say it's a solid first effort. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well as some of Trump's greatest hits, but certainly has a bit more bite and depth than most of em. It's not just some adjective in front of a name, so points for creativity.  I'd say a solid 8/10.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #13993 on: February 07, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
Eww. It’s like looking at the back of Darth Vader’s head in ESB.  :doge

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #13994 on: February 07, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/02/jordan-peterson-enlightenment-nietzsche-alt-right
Our tragedy as human beings is much more banal than Peterson’s romanticism would have it. We do contend with a fundamental irrationalism, but it doesn’t come from an inherently unknowable and mysterious world. Rather, it comes from capitalism.
bold strategy cotton

the shuja haider piece in viewpoint was much better imo

a lot of the stuff jacobin publishes feels quite flimsy

etiolate

« Reply #13995 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:57 PM »

the amount of hit jobs on Peterson lately is beyond even what I'd expect

Judging by what's been written, it appears what they disagree with him the most about is his advice to tell the truth.

Boredfrom

« Reply #13996 on: February 07, 2018, 09:18:03 PM »

Why? The guy is in the spotlight right now. And that piece at least seems to remember that not everyone see him as alt right.

etiolate

« Reply #13997 on: February 07, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »

Why? The guy is in the spotlight right now.

I didn't say attention surprised me, but the level and amount of hit jobs. Why the freak out?

Boredfrom

« Reply #13998 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »

Why? The guy is in the spotlight right now.

I didn't say attention surprised me, but the level and amount of hit jobs. Why the freak out?

Because Youtube, Trump and culture wars.

etiolate

« Reply #13999 on: February 07, 2018, 09:25:51 PM »
What do you mean by youtube? As in his ability to speak outside of mainstream media threatens them?

Boredfrom

« Reply #14000 on: February 07, 2018, 09:31:05 PM »
What do you mean by youtube? As in his ability to speak outside of mainstream media threatens them?

I think it has more to do with him becoming mainstream.

etiolate

« Reply #14001 on: February 07, 2018, 09:33:39 PM »
so just popularity jealousy

But their response only makes him more popular. It's like they learned nothing from what went on at the Chan 4 interview.

Boredfrom

« Reply #14002 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:27 PM »
so just popularity jealousy

Well, I dont think is as simple as that. Also, I kind of doubt that Peterson is not enjoying the attention right now,

etiolate

« Reply #14003 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »
It's making him a lot of money. He's probably due for a modesty gutcheck.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #14004 on: February 07, 2018, 10:28:42 PM »
the shuja haider piece in viewpoint was much better imo
*looks up shuja haider piece in viewpoint* yeah this is way better

Judging by what's been written, it appears what they disagree with him the most about is his advice to tell the truth.
Idk, the thinkpieces ive seen don’t primarily address the imperative to speak truth to power or really any of the other perfectly banal self help maxims he pushes. Rather, they’re mostly aimed at the (at times explicit) implications of his thought, viz. traditionalism wrt gender/social atomism/an incoherent epistemology that I’ve remarked on earlier, along with the presuppositions he uses to justify them, namely, a crude neo-Darwinian understanding of the summum bonum, naive and outdated essentializing/hypostasizing of cultures that recapitulates old Cold War tropes of individualism v. collectivism, and a reading of philosophical history since Kant that borders on the delusional. It’s usually those points, potentially including additional charges of charlatanry/profiteering, that I’ve seen at stake over the past month.

etiolate

« Reply #14005 on: February 07, 2018, 10:47:19 PM »
None of the criticisms are about that. They open up with ad hominem attacks and sometimes criticize his use of the term post-modernism.

Thus, my joke about telling the truth. The articles routinely open up with lies and misrepresentation, and then end with lies and misrepresentation. The argument/criticism is over interpretation of theory vs actuality of the ideas in practice.  Peterson rails against what occurs from the ideas as they've been put forth in practice, which I hope you understand.

To claim the hit jobs on him are anything at all like what you just vomited up is lol.

El Babua

« Reply #14006 on: February 07, 2018, 10:52:20 PM »
Honestly, the gist of what Peterson says is pretty harmless by philosophical standards.

The weird cult of personality surrounding him feeding off on the opposition he gets is pretty entertaining at least.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #14007 on: February 07, 2018, 11:41:50 PM »
None of the criticisms are about that.
really? From the jacobin piece:
Echoing the worst features of nineteenth-century social Darwinism, Peterson uses this example of lobster hierarchy to analyze human society.
Peterson’s positivism — the dualism between descriptive facts and values — makes his Nietzscheanism possible. If the world is an atomized chaos of facts, it needs a strong will to define it and impose order.
When we theoretically confront Peterson, we need to do more than refute his pseudo-scientific claims, his bad pop psychology, and his Cold War–inflected version of history.
Ironically, Peterson’s critique of postmodernism is itself very postmodern.
So, check neo-Darwinism, check atomism, check Cold War tropes, check ironically incoherent epistemology. The claims are clearly there, you don’t get to dismiss as lies and misrepresentations an argument you’ve just failed to read.

sometimes criticize his use of the term post-modernism.
so they are about his understanding of philosophical history? Or are they not really about that but something else?
The argument/criticism is over interpretation of theory vs actuality of the ideas in practice.  Peterson rails against what occurs from the ideas as they've been put forth in practice, which I hope you understand.
are the ideas in question here moral relativism, a rejection of biological sex, and/or constraints on the freedom of expression? And they purportedly germinate in 20th century Marxist thinkers -maybe the Frankfurt school- travel through the French poststructuralists and eventually end up in the heads of student activists today? Because i can tell you, that causal chain is a lot harder to demonstrate than it looks, and Peterson hasn’t provided a convincing case for it.

Honestly, the gist of what Peterson says is pretty harmless by philosophical standards.
the gist of what he says is an apologia for reactionary ‘dominance heirarchies’. It’s also at turns baseless, incoherent, and superficial.

etiolate

« Reply #14008 on: February 08, 2018, 12:55:47 AM »
There are hierarchies. Don't get what the anger there is about.

The base of these articles is "Peterson is alt-right". The viewpoint article compares him to Logan Paul for some assbackwards reason. They sprinkle in some ideas in there, but its slander through and through.

Just answer this: Why do they open with slander and lies? And. generally, sprinkle in the lies throughout?

« Reply #14009 on: February 08, 2018, 12:59:13 AM »
Why is anyone trying to ascribe an artificial construct like "human hierarchy" in a non-ironic sense is beyond me.

We're not Lions in the wild.  :yeshrug Hierarchy's tend to only work when actually measurable strengths lead to dominant people.

Trump kinda proves nothing really matters as long as you're born into it; which is not how a proper hierarchy works. It's why the kingdoms of old failed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:06:27 AM by thehunter116 »

etiolate

« Reply #14010 on: February 08, 2018, 01:17:08 AM »
Hierarchies are discussed because we are still biological creatures. I like to say that each of us is a human being and a human creature. Nature, evolution and biology is brought up because when we decide to fight all these natures it tends to blow up in our face.

Normally, Peterson argues biology when people say our hierarchies are social constructs and arbitrary. The point being that these are real factors in how we behave and act. We have hard wiring after so many years of evolution. Rather than just throwing them out, we have to consider why they exist.

Actual social hierarchies for humans are complex, but some of the factors are not uniquely human. Reciprocity theory matters a great deal. The way up/down in a group works levels far beyond a simple strong man idea.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #14011 on: February 08, 2018, 01:23:35 AM »
There are hierarchies. Don't get what the anger there is about.

The base of these articles is "Peterson is alt-right". The viewpoint article compares him to Logan Paul for some assbackwards reason. They sprinkle in some ideas in there, but its slander through and through.

Just answer this: Why do they open with slander and lies? And. generally, sprinkle in the lies throughout?

damn this is "mandark just asked me a question" levels of weaseling out

deepest throat

« Reply #14012 on: February 08, 2018, 01:31:10 AM »
guaranteed within 6 months peterson will start selling brain pills like every other mega-chud

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #14013 on: February 08, 2018, 01:33:42 AM »
guaranteed within 6 months peterson will start selling brain pills like every other mega-chud

it's where the money is with that demographic

El Babua

« Reply #14014 on: February 08, 2018, 01:46:05 AM »
idk, I'd be pretty content just getting 50k a month for telling dudes to clean their room.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #14015 on: February 08, 2018, 03:22:34 AM »
bold strategy cotton

As much as it pains me to defend the paint for Girondist--and insinuate that the University of Arizona is something other than an NBA G League franchise--you remind me of an observation David Harvey once made, "incarcerated black prisoners in Maryland found much of what Marx had to say obvious [in my study groups] while elite students at Johns Hopkins took an awful lot of persuading."

shosta

« Reply #14016 on: February 08, 2018, 04:19:06 AM »
I checked out some of the comments on isidewith.com issues, what a great idea this was

verrit code 6915

rofl this is my favorite spin ever. :dead

but someone is not amused
每天生气

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14017 on: February 08, 2018, 12:03:25 PM »
Bush Jr scoring an easy layup on Trump for emerging from the woodwork to thank undocumented immigrants for being a great exploitable resource is some peak white people shit  :yuck

kingv

« Reply #14018 on: February 08, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »
At least he’s not painting his feet again.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #14019 on: February 08, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
you remind me of an observation David Harvey once made, "incarcerated black prisoners in Maryland found much of what Marx had to say obvious [in my study groups] while elite students at Johns Hopkins took an awful lot of persuading."
i fully acknowledge that my approach can appear (and maybe is) tone deaf at times, in response I only have two things to say: i) knowledge/truth claims about the social are necessarily perspectival, I’m not an incarcerated black prisoner in Maryland and that has real consequences for the kinds of inferences I draw/prioritize -the appeal to empathy/inclusivity is well taken; ii) I’m finding myself more and more endorsing a more globalized grievance with modernity than the standard reductively materialist Marxist account (among others). Technics, the affirmation of the impersonal polis over the communitas, immaentization/disenchantment are as much attendant features of modernity as capital is and I’m not convinced that the former frictionlessly supervene on the latter. The reasons people give for what they do matter and any master narrative that doesn’t include them is at best half complete.

and insinuate that the University of Arizona is something other than an NBA G League franchise
if you did, I wouldn’t protest too much. they’re running a racket; it was in the library, not the classroom, that I figured out how to be a student.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
we’re like 100-something on kenpom in defensive rating and the offense for the past 9 years has been just whipping the ball around the perimeter until someone sets a high ball screen. The best athlete to ever step foot on campus is gonna leave this year after what is sure to be another sweet sixteen season. I wanna stick my face in a blender.:snoop 
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #14020 on: February 08, 2018, 04:23:09 PM »
Aaaaand the dow's lower than it was on Monday now.
que

etiolate

« Reply #14021 on: February 08, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
or Black Pirsoners are the type to find Nation of Islam and Yakub stories compelling

agrajag

« Reply #14023 on: February 08, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
In bigger news, Yum! Brands Inc. stock is down 4.73%

Fast food enthusiast forum thebore.com is in tatters.

shosta

每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #14025 on: February 08, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »
Holy crap! we're at a Dow of -$977,000?! This is worse than I thought!
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14026 on: February 08, 2018, 04:54:36 PM »
Bush Jr scoring an easy layup on Trump for emerging from the woodwork to thank undocumented immigrants for being a great exploitable resource is some peak white people shit  :yuck

:nope Bush Jr.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14027 on: February 08, 2018, 06:28:22 PM »
Just read this, posited by someone on facebook: "The definition of a Libertarian is a guy who's never had anything bad happen to him."
:heartbeat

kingv

« Reply #14028 on: February 08, 2018, 06:29:59 PM »
Gotdamn, I hope we get that sweet sweet stagflation. I got a lot of fixed rate long term debt.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14029 on: February 08, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/961693505486761985

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/961705126279905280

While the DOW is tanking the White House is addressing more pressing matters. Such as Amarosa.
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #14030 on: February 08, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »
Hire someone your already fired three times brehs  :neogaf

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14031 on: February 08, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »
Too important political news to be left out to dry on the previous page. This is of historical importance.

https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/961693505486761985

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/961705126279905280

While the DOW is tanking the White House is addressing more pressing matters. Such as Amarosa.

The Trump presidential library
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
vin

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14035 on: February 08, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »
Benji explain
©@©™

« Reply #14036 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »
This has been an entertaining tire fire/train-wreck kinda of day.

And now our budget is being held hostage by Rand Paul and his nefarious coke quails.

:neogaf :lawd :phil

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14037 on: February 08, 2018, 10:19:37 PM »
Did he add a significant figure to a dollar amount to make it look bigger?

come get your boy, benji

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #14038 on: February 08, 2018, 10:23:49 PM »
keeping up with the benji theme on this page I'm withholding judgement re: the Omarosa situation until I get his take on it.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14039 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:22 PM »
keeping up with the benji theme on this page I'm withholding judgement re: the Omarosa situation until I get his take on it.

You'd already have Benji's take on people like Omarosa if you read his* newsletter.