Poll

Did this become a thing or did it just die?

LOL
8 (12.3%)
Fuck off
4 (6.2%)
No one wants this shit
23 (35.4%)
Maybe
17 (26.2%)
Yes
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: VR Thread  (Read 79849 times)

Bebpo

Re: VR Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 01, 2019, 02:34:31 AM »
I'm confused. Isn't the Vive a Valve/HTC headset? Why did they make the Index  ???

Yeah I always thought the Vive was the Valve headset. I mean they made software for it...

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #181 on: May 01, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »
I'm confused. Isn't the Vive a Valve/HTC headset? Why did they make the Index  ???

they collaborated on the initial Vive.

assume valve weren't all that happy with what htc are up to now (controllers suck, hardware is overpriced, vive store sucks) and wanted more control over the prestige steamvr.

tbh, prob not that. afaik, the wands and the lighthouses were valve tech (or based on valve tech) and then there was the software too. Valve is really into the "lighthouse" stuff, e.g. HTC have to support steamvr if they want to use the lighthouse tech https://xinreality.com/wiki/Lighthouse think that's a big part of why they're doing that inside out Focus thing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:34:31 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #182 on: May 01, 2019, 09:49:20 AM »

assume valve weren't all that happy with what htc are up to now (controllers suck, hardware is overpriced, vive store sucks)

Lolz.

naff

« Reply #183 on: May 01, 2019, 05:53:37 PM »
i'd like to try them both, hopefully i'll get a chance. doubt i'll be dumb enough to cop a pricey flagship vr set like this 'til they solve eye tracking x foveated rendering though.

vive pro is 800 usd just for the hmd (1500 here lol), so yeah, it's a fair bit pricier.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #184 on: May 01, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »
seems you can use the old cv1 vive lighthouses with knuckles and use the samsung odyssey+ as the hmd. something i'll be looking into. (odyssey+ seems to use exactly the same panels as vive pro)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:32:45 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #185 on: May 01, 2019, 08:59:03 PM »
Btw, does anyone know if you can play modern Oculus exclusives with the old Dev Kit 2. I still have that laying around and I'd like to try out Ready at Dawn's games at some point.

In other news, Sprint Vector was on sale for $11.99 on PSVR so I picked it up and will give it a shot soon.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2019, 02:32:58 AM »
BORDERLANDS 2 VR

It is phenomenally broken in regards to its rendering. UE3 doesn't have a native VR rendering solution so they made their own and holy fuckin' shit is it bad. Turned green the first time I rotated my head, and I've put +100 hours into Skyrim so don't gimme that "you need to get your VR legs" shit. I think they're doing barrel distortion wrong; they have all these blinders turned on by default because I think they realize it's vomit-inducing.

Did about an hour; played with the Aim controller which was working great TBH. Couldn't take it anymore after the sweats set in; contacted Sony support and got a refund (they WILL refund VR games for making you motion-sick if you complain enough and escalate to a manager).

Also the scale in the game is WAY OFF. Enemy humans come up to your waist (no, not the midgets, the standard baddies).

I probably would have played it to the end if they hadn't made a game that induces motion sickness on a cosmic scale. I REALLY like Aim controller games.

To be fair, Stretch, this is also true of you IRL.

naff

« Reply #187 on: May 05, 2019, 02:39:16 AM »
Btw, does anyone know if you can play modern Oculus exclusives with the old Dev Kit 2. I still have that laying around and I'd like to try out Ready at Dawn's games at some point.

In other news, Sprint Vector was on sale for $11.99 on PSVR so I picked it up and will give it a shot soon.

can you use the lighthouses / touch controllers with dk2? can you even buy those anymore? most oculus games assume you have the touch controllers.

pre-ordered a quest 'cause im a sucker
◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2019, 12:15:10 PM »
BORDERLANDS 2 VR

It is phenomenally broken in regards to its rendering. UE3 doesn't have a native VR rendering solution so they made their own and holy fuckin' shit is it bad. Turned green the first time I rotated my head, and I've put +100 hours into Skyrim so don't gimme that "you need to get your VR legs" shit. I think they're doing barrel distortion wrong; they have all these blinders turned on by default because I think they realize it's vomit-inducing.

Did about an hour; played with the Aim controller which was working great TBH. Couldn't take it anymore after the sweats set in; contacted Sony support and got a refund (they WILL refund VR games for making you motion-sick if you complain enough and escalate to a manager).

Also the scale in the game is WAY OFF. Enemy humans come up to your waist (no, not the midgets, the standard baddies).

I probably would have played it to the end if they hadn't made a game that induces motion sickness on a cosmic scale. I REALLY like Aim controller games.

Have you tried Firewall Zero Hour my good man?

Yeah dude that game is fuckin great. I wind up playing with a bunch of dudes with weird accents who have PROBABLY killed people in real life; I am just like "tell me what to aim at" and I follow their orders and we mop up. Love it. Blind fire in that game, holy shit so good.

Svejk

« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2019, 11:06:27 AM »
A demo of Everybody's Golf VR is up!  (US)  :hyper
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA15478_00-EBGT00000000US01

Edit: Apparently you can use either the Move or DS4; sitting or standing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:04:46 PM by Svejk »

Tasty

« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
Anybody here try Tetris Effect VR?

Bebpo

« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2019, 11:20:11 PM »
Yeah it’s cool but really low res and blurry on psvr

I still mostly played in vr after a while, but it’s so nice going back to non-vr after and it’s so sharp and easy on the eyes. Too bad there’s no pc version.

I need to download the golf demo.

Sprint Runners was weird. I liked the concept and it’s kinda fun and falling gives me that fun feeling of dropping sensation, but I couldn’t get the controls working good on PSVR and I’d never be moving fast enough to keep up with the cpu and jumping was weird and turning was hard. Like I wouldn’t play it past the one session I did, but if it had better controls on a different vr device I’d try it again. Don’t feel ripped off for the $12 I spent since it was an interesting amusement ride, but not one of the better vr titles for me.

It might just be my tiny room setup struggling with vr, but outside Beat Saber I feel like most motion control games are off and Astrobot using DS4 + some light motion worked the best for me.

Tasty

« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2019, 02:58:27 PM »
Damn I was hoping it'd be really sharp. :lol

bluemax

« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2019, 12:10:40 AM »
BORDERLANDS 2 VR

Have you tried Firewall Zero Hour my good man?

Yeah dude that game is fuckin great. I wind up playing with a bunch of dudes with weird accents who have PROBABLY killed people in real life; I am just like "tell me what to aim at" and I follow their orders and we mop up. Love it. Blind fire in that game, holy shit so good.

I watched some guy on twitch play it once who was like an ex marine or something, that was definitely a trip.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2019, 08:56:27 PM »
I'm suuuuper confused about the everyboday's golf VR demo.

I can do the putting range but when I go to the course, it lets me stand on hole one but the button that changes practice to address and is supposed to let me hit the ball says "please buy full version, return to reception", does this demo not even let you play a single hole??? WTF

Also when I read it had controller and move support I thought that meant you can play it without motion controls on the controller, normal HSG style. Didn't realize it just meant you can play the motion controls with a worse motion controller using the DS4.

Like it controls soooorta ok in the putting range with the move, but getting any type of accuracy is going to be lolz compared to just using a controller. Pretty bummed you can't just play normal HSG gameplay with VR viewpoint. Will be passing on this.

Just googled and saw that's how this demo is. Man this is one of the worst demos I've seen. Most people like me will be on the course hitting every button and getting very frustrated for 10 mins trying to figure out why hitting the ball isn't working before googling it and figure it out. If they weren't going to let you play 1 hole, maybe they shouldn't have let you select a course and stand where you would to play that hole? Weird af and looooong forced tutorial. Very bad demo but game might be ok.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:01:08 PM by Bebpo »

Svejk

« Reply #195 on: May 12, 2019, 11:12:49 PM »
Yeah, that "demo" practically ruined my Friday night.  I was so pumped to play a hole or 2, but like you said... Sat there for almost 20 minutes going back and forth trying to figure out how to advance on the ball on the course.  I thought my controller was broken at one point. Lol. What a horrible tease... But I will say, on the driving range, hitting the ball feels pretty damn good...

naff

« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2019, 06:14:39 PM »
My friend gave me his old PS4... So I picked up a 2nd hand PSVR. Pretty good! Astro Bot Rescue mission is incredible, biggest detractor is the camera movement, they should've had it move through the environment with a banded motion instead of the static lurch. That should decrease the stomach lurch and mild motion sickness that accompanies each camera movement. The fixed camera works really well though, love how they did that, it's really fun ducking around environments while your lil Astro Bot flies and smashes through it.

Most engaging platformer I've played since SMG. The lurching movement and limitations of the PS Eye detract a fair bit - staying in the play space and looking around a lot feels pretty janky. I'm playing on my comfy 360 swivel office chair, maybe I should be setting this up for standing? Game seems it would be awkward af on a couch having to look all around the place to find all the bots, at least on the chair i found myself swivelling way to the left and right a fair bit. By far the worst tracking I've messed with excluding my el janko 1st iteration PiMax headset.

Picked up Ace Combat 7 in the "Big in Japan" sale. Other titles I was gonna check are Wipeout Omega, Resi 7, Farpoint and Firepoint: Zero Hour (once I get the Aim controller). Any other PS exclusivo hits that are worth checking out? This library will be amazing day 1 if they have backwards compat with PS5 VR. Hopefully they integrate support for WiGig Wireless streaming for vr directly into the next PS. At least the chip, with a simple expansion for the Antenna. So sick of all dese cables.
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
yeah Astro Bot is the most impressed I've been with a game in a very, very long time. Felt like a truly brand new experience - similar to when I made the jump from PS2 to 360, and 16 bit to PS1

naff

« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:57 PM »
Watching Sceneman sweating and nearly ready to vom after half a mission in AC7 was quite good. I still feel pretty intense in that game too, it's been a while since I played a lot of VR and Astro Bot was a great game to get back in with. Look forward to seeing what ASOBI! do next.

Will check out Moss once the Quest arrives. Would love to see ND commissioned to do a vr platformer from the ground up. Something like Jak 2 :lawd
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2019, 06:12:34 AM »
Watching Sceneman sweating and nearly ready to vom after half a mission in AC7 was quite good.

I'll never forget wasting that enemy jet fighter and looking up and seeing it explode above me. Like, whoa.

Svejk

« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2019, 01:20:51 PM »
I'm suuuuper confused about the everyboday's golf VR demo.

I can do the putting range but when I go to the course, it lets me stand on hole one but the button that changes practice to address and is supposed to let me hit the ball says "please buy full version, return to reception", does this demo not even let you play a single hole??? WTF

Also when I read it had controller and move support I thought that meant you can play it without motion controls on the controller, normal HSG style. Didn't realize it just meant you can play the motion controls with a worse motion controller using the DS4.

Like it controls soooorta ok in the putting range with the move, but getting any type of accuracy is going to be lolz compared to just using a controller. Pretty bummed you can't just play normal HSG gameplay with VR viewpoint. Will be passing on this.

Just googled and saw that's how this demo is. Man this is one of the worst demos I've seen. Most people like me will be on the course hitting every button and getting very frustrated for 10 mins trying to figure out why hitting the ball isn't working before googling it and figure it out. If they weren't going to let you play 1 hole, maybe they shouldn't have let you select a course and stand where you would to play that hole? Weird af and looooong forced tutorial. Very bad demo but game might be ok.

Just saw this on REEEEEEE...
So, just to clarify, since it's very easy to overlook - there's a tremendous amount of gameplay in the demo, although as soon as you try an actual course, once you try to tee off it simply gives you a "we hope you buy the full game" screen. Once that happens, go back to the practice range - you have choices of two levels of driving range, putting practice on multiple holes, and "Approach" practice, where you shoot to get on to the green and then putt to sink. The Putting and Approach modes both give you multiple holes to try out, although you kind of have to stumble on how to select them, and in the Putting mode you can choose where to place the ball, too. You've also got a wide variety of clubs to play around with.

You can easily spend hours in the demo itself; I'm not really a golf game person, but I figured I'd try the demo out, and now I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the game (even though the full game apparently only has three courses). I found it far more entertaining than I was expecting, and my arms were slightly sore the next day from playing.
I totally missed this and gonna have to re-try this weekend.  :-[

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2019, 04:40:08 AM »
3 courses (54 holes?) seems like plenty of content. There will be DLC too?

Svejk

« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:05 AM »
3 courses (54 holes?) seems like plenty of content. There will be DLC too?
Not sure.  Nothing I can find on the line.  Certainly hope so.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2019, 09:12:06 AM »
I guess a better question is: did earlier Everybody's Golf games have DLC courses. Something I probably should research myself!

PSVR is awesome

Bebpo

« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »
Yeah, they did. Last one had like 2 or 3 DLC courses.

Also I got my brother Labo VR for his birthday since he liked the PSVR the couple times he tried mine. He tried it and said he thought the VR was great in the mini-games and Zelda BoTW. Said it didn't look much worse than what he remembered PSVR looking and his main complaint was no headstrap limits it a bit. I'll try it next time I'm at his place.

I have a feeling he'd like Oculus Quest VR. Hell, I'm thinking maybe I should get Quest VR rather than a PCVR kit since most of the PC-exclusive VR games that are missing on PSVR will be on Oculus Quest and outside lower graphics, all the articles have been really praising on the tracking and controls of Quest, so idk. A lot easier to jump in at $399, than spend $800+ on a PC setup only to have it not work in my small room or be janky like a lot of my PSVR games are.

naff

« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2019, 12:56:12 AM »
Quest is hurr, but sitting in the depot because something got a lil borked with my order  :doge Haven't been impatient for something to arrive like this for a long time. Kicking myself for not just collecting from the depot earlier :lol

Got a new wireless ac t3h gam3r router (WRT32x) to fuck around with the PCVR streaming options, and a bluetooth xbone controller to play non-vr games streamed from pc. i'm sure the streamed PCVR won't be great, even with Go 3DOF and ATW it wasn't perfect, and im mainly just hype for solid mobile VR, but the dev for ALVR has come outta hiding to support it. If he can get ATW stuff sorted  :lawd
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2019, 02:31:19 AM »
Quest is easily the best vr experience I've had so far. It's not even close. Seamless. I'm sure the wireless vive Pro would've been similar or better in a bunch of scenarios, but everything feels great and the experience is smooth af. People thatve never tried vr before picking it up and their fear of a new thing vanishing almost instantly.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2019, 02:35:36 AM »
The new superhot is hilarious. The best new game on the platform. A lot more moving around than the pcvr version. So much more satisfying hearing that Super. Hot. Super. Hot. Star Wars seemed fine, looks amazing but mostly played the classics. Wish The Climb was out  :doge
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2019, 07:51:35 AM »
I neeeeeed to play SuperHot. Wanna hang out some night this week?

Svejk

« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2019, 11:36:56 AM »
Is Superhot PCVR version different from the PSVR version?  The PSVR one is tons of fun for sho.  My legs where totally sore after playing it the first time.  :lol

Tasty

« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »
Quest seems like what I wanted Daydream to become. With Google apparently winding down that effort, the Quest 2 or whatever is probably in my future...

Bebpo

« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2019, 02:37:16 PM »
The new superhot is hilarious. The best new game on the platform. A lot more moving around than the pcvr version. So much more satisfying hearing that Super. Hot. Super. Hot. Star Wars seemed fine, looks amazing but mostly played the classics. Wish The Climb was out  :doge

Damn, between this & todays news that PSVR2 is at least 3-4 years out still (I thought it would launch with PS5 next year with Astrobot 2), I’ll probably get a Quest.

Still need to get a real PC VR at some point, but Quest should get good versions of most PC VR games.

Is Quest getting, or does it already have all the Oculus exclusive VR titles like Ready at Dawn’s stuff? If I can get the Oculus exclusives with Quest, PS exclusives with PSVR, and the rest with a PCVR eventually that would be a little more efficient.

naff

« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2019, 03:07:01 AM »
some of the new Oculus Studios games are vom city on Quest. Dead and Buried 2 :nope  :-X

i never really felt sick like this using the vive except when i tried playing subnautica. the best i've felt in fps is just standard analog camera controls with freedom of head movement. been a while since i tried playing one in VR though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:15:16 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »
Oh yeah, something I was reading reminded me of my biggest pet peeve in VR games so far: UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES.

Bad, long cutscenes no one cares about in a gameplay game are already annoying on a standard video game but in VR when you're trapped it's even worse. If you're going to do cutscenes in first person VR at least have the decency to do them half-life style where they happen around you as you are playing. Locking your controls and freezing you in place is goddamn awful.

Good example of this was Speedrunners. It's a fucking racing game for god's sake, but you have to sit through a like 3-5 minute opening ceremony cutscene at the start.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2019, 09:17:52 PM »
I can't believe they shoehorned Robo Recall onto this. I hear the framerate gets a little wack later.

I played the company's unit and it's quite good. It sure is nice having a full 6dof rig with hand controllers tho. The GPU in it is really holding things back though :(

I really wanna play Robo Recall in a huge empty space and run around tearing shit up. I know you can't play outside tho, you need walls and stuff; trees don't track so well.

Bebpo

« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2019, 09:43:14 PM »
With Quest, since it's not wired what stops you from walking into furniture/walls/killing yourself?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2019, 11:08:32 PM »
With Quest, since it's not wired what stops you from walking into furniture/walls/killing yourself?

Guardian system pops up whenever you're near a wall. The AR mode where you actually paint out the play space is kind of rad.

naff

« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2019, 01:25:05 AM »
oculus refund policy is really damn good. within 14 days under 2 hours playtime and their automated system seems to just grant it. didn't like dead and buried 2, was fine playing first one on Rift but a combo of it being faster paced and analog movement being quick snap rather than smooth rotation made me wanna hurl. so i got my money back  :doge
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2019, 03:28:48 AM »
Had a play around with the latest ALVR alpha for the quest. Pretty wild how well it works already.

Played REZ fine and potted around the home, tried super hot and obduction but the controllers weren't working properly. Framerate was good, head tracking was great, latency was low with the odd stutter when downloading something and i don't have a dedicated router for it atm. If anything big was downloading on the network it would start to mess with the streaming, but when there was low noise on the router it felt like i was in regular old SteamVR. Pretty amaze, but still very alpha feeling. SteamVR Super Hot the controllers were stuck in the ground, Obduction put the selection screen too far away, Steam chaperone moving out of the originally defined area. Didn't bother trying anything else yet, but the smoothness of streaming Rez seems clear it'll end up working p well with the big ticket items eventually. Also not sure if i messed anything up uninstalling all HTCs crap (viveport  :yuck) that auto launches anytime you run SteamVR.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
The Five Nights at Freddy's thing is getting good reviews. I've never played any of these before, but I've definitely been looking forward to a good horror VR game (The Inpatient was not) on PSVR so I think I'll give this a whirl. Supposedly plays pretty good with the move controller and has content from 3+ games so lots of content.

Bebpo

« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2019, 02:17:09 PM »
Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a few more PSVR games and give them a shot since reviews are good all around. Planning on grabbing Freddys, Blood & Truth, Everybody's Golf and Ghost Giant.

Svejk

« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2019, 08:55:40 AM »
Blood & Troof is getting pretty good reviews..  Dammit... Only had PSVR since the Holiday and I'm already developing a backlog/wishlist.  :lol  ...Which has me thinking, I'm glad the majority of these VR games are on the shorter side.

Bebpo

« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2019, 03:02:34 PM »
Ended up buying all those + Transcendence which I'd been waiting on a sale for like 6 months and it was finally discounted to $10 from $25 originally. That game sounded kinda intriguing to me and had good reviews + I'm always interested in projects that Elijah Wood works on like 11:11 because he has pretty good nerd taste.

Was like $135 for all those, but I had a dentist appointment for a gum injury that would've cost me about $150 just to check out and it healed on its own the morning of and I cancelled the appointment and saved the money, so I just rationalized it that way lol

Didn't have a chance to try any of them last night, but downloaded them all. Will try them over the weekend. Hope they're all good! I haven't played anything on PSVR outside beat saber regularly since beating Astrobot and it would be nice to have some new games I actually enjoy and spend more than an hour with.

Also I really looked into getting Quest but the store is so anemic right now I'm going to hold off. If it gets filled out in the next year and most PC exclusive VR games get ported to it, I'll probably grab one in a year. Otherwise might just get a PC wired VR setup next year or two since PSVR2 is faaaaaar still :(

Bebpo

« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2019, 12:55:22 AM »
Ok, tried a few:

Blood & Truth - this is a really fun arcade carnival ride shooter. Reminds me of the old Mad Dog McCree games in that it's a cinematic shooting gallery. Like it so far.

Five Nights at Freddys - The VR is really good and pretty terrifying. Since I've never played any of these games before I don't understand how the gameplay works so I need to read a guide for the first level and figure out how you actually play these games besides flipping through screens watching the animatronics come for you.

Transcendence - This is interesting and the VR is pretty good. Didn't know it starred Macon Blair who I really like. Basically a first person puzzle adventure game. Kinda creepy atmosphere though with jump scares. No move support is a bummer so it plays closest to RE7 VR. I was getting some motion sickness after a while from controller walking though :|

Bebpo

« Reply #224 on: June 01, 2019, 02:05:36 AM »
Ok, read a guide on how the gameplay works in Freddy’s. Sounds fun, looking forward to trying it again.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2019, 11:16:20 AM »
Seriously help a brother out, how the F does Freddy's gameplay actually work

Bebpo

« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2019, 01:06:58 PM »
Ok, so what I got out of watching a Night 1 walkthrough and some Five Nights at Freddy's 1 guides is the game is essentially a puzzle game with some randomization. I feel like if the game was done in an overhead view like Frozen Synapse or Chu-Chu Rocket it'd be pretty straightforward and it's mostly only confusing because it's first person and limited views and interactions. But that's also where the challenge is because if it was overhead it'd be too easy.

Basically you are in a base and each stage 3-4 different AIs approach your base on routes that are generally pre-determined but their starting times and possibly routes have some variables to them. The gameplay goal is to make it to 6am (which in the original was 8 and a 1/2 minutes but in the mobile one is speed up to 4 and 1/2 and I think the VR is based on that) without letting an AIs into your base. The way you prevent this is when an AI is almost at your base you close the door on your left or right side so instead of turning into your base they hit the wall and turn around and when they turn around and leave on their route you re-open it. You have a limited power bar and every second the doors are closed uses a lot of power and if you run out of power before the end of the stage you basically die. So it's about only keeping the doors closed when needed. You can also light up the areas around the door to physically see what is nearby (uses power but not too much), look through cameras (uses a lot of power but less than doors) or listen for the sound effects to hear when an AI is approaching.

So for example in Night 1:
-You have one AI that approaches from the left usually starting around 3am (non-main bear)
-You have a second AI that approaches from the right a little later (chicken)
-You have one AI that has a 20% chance of appearing (more if you're inactive for a long period of time) that sprints fast to the left door (fox, comes out of the pirates cove curtain)
-Main freddy bear AI is inactive in this stage unless you run out of power, then he kills you.

So basically for night one you watch for the 2 AIs coming from the left/right and close the doors as needed when they approach while keeping an eye on the pirates cover monitor to see if the Fox will sprint out and if so you immediately close the left door and he'll pound on it a few times and leave and then you can re-open it.

From what I gather, each night is these same set of AIs but their routes change like a stealth game each night and the AI variables mix around with starting times, or whether they appear at all. There are mario style warps that let you skip nights, hidden nights 6 & 7 and even a hidden AI (golden freddy) that you can sometimes get to appear.

But essentially it's 5 main puzzles stages of AIs that come for you and you have to protect your base while not over-using your power bar, so it's about learning the patterns and becoming more efficient in your power bar usage.

Extrapolating from that I'm going to guess the sequels are still in the same map/location (since there's a game called sister location which I assume is a new location) and therefore I'd guess the sequels add new AI characters with unique abilities that you have to learn and figure out how to keep them out while conserving power.

Supposedly the lore for the series is pretty fun too.

Bebpo

« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2019, 08:06:21 PM »
Ok, after playing today and beating the first 2 nights and almost beating the 3rd and trying the first night of Freddy 2 to see the difference and all the mini-games I realized I was wrong about a few things.

-Enemy AI routes are random. There are specific rules to each character like Rabbit only goes on the left, Chicken on the right, Fox when triggers sprints to the left. But within that they can go whereever they want whenever they want so they can hang in bathrooms and then back to the main room and down the hall whenever they want. So you basically need to keep an eye out for them (or ear, but I find they're pretty quiet so it's hard to rely on that) and shut the doors as they walk by and re-open the doors after they've passed to conserve battery. Replaying the first night I was able to clear with still having like 30% battery, but 2nd night was like 2% and 3rd night died a little after 5am. You pretty much just flip between the cameras and track the AIs so you're aware when they are close and can trigger the doors on/off on each side.

-Freddy 2 actually is an entire new location, so new building layout, new enemy AIs and the gameplay is pretty changed up. There's no doors instead there's 3 openings that can kill you (instead of 2), a vent on the left, a vent on the right and a hallway in the middle. I didn't quite grasp what you're supposed to do but something about keeping them in the light and winding up a music box to keep them from janking you.

-The mini-games are fun. There's one where you have to take the animatronics apart and repair them and put them back together but if you do it wrong you die. Kinda like taking apart an explosive. Then there was this vent repair one where it's basically a VR escape room except there's a monster in the vent and you have a flashlight attached to your head and looking in the 3 vents causes the monster to crawl back. So you're solving puzzles while looking between vents to make sure there's no monster approaching. Pretty fun. There was another one about closing doors and one about copying a bear that I didn't really understand. These games have pretty poor tutorial/instructions.

-The game actually isn't too bad on the scare factor once you get the hang of it and have died a few times since it's more just a tense puzzle game and when you die it's more annoying when they jump at you than jump scares.

-The VR is really good and there's a lot of content, but the one issues it has, at least on PSVR is the lack of room scale. For a lot of the mini-games they think you're sitting on a chair that is in the middle of the room with nothing around you so you can reach down and grab items in front or behind you. But if you're sitting on the couch you can't reach through the couch to grab things on the floor so I had to do a lot of re-positioning and moving around to grab stuff like that. For the main games since you just have the door/light buttons on the side and the cameras buttons in front it's not really an issue.

Overall pretty fun, gonna try to beat Freddy 1 before moving to 2. There's also a lot of hidden stuff in it so I'm curious what it is.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2019, 11:52:30 AM »
Finally someone has explained how the fuck this game works, :bow

Just finished playing Trover Saves the Universe. It's really fucking good. It's a real game! That's long! With levels! If you like Rick & Morty and Justin Roiland's crazy ranting schtick, you'll love it.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
yeah so this shit is the future.

As a web dev and working through the menus on the Oculus Quest Edition of Beat Sabre, I'm pretty sold on the fact that this tech is fully there now. Its incredible. The UX is intuitive as fuck. I feel like a caveman marking up websites when the potential of this bonkers immersion exists. I'm feeling optimistic for the first time in ages

naff

« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
played through new super hot. this is still easily my favourite vr game.

i think the Quest is an incredible device. i use it a lot, and it has a surprisingly decent library already, but i think it needs to get down to around half it's current weight before it's comfortable in more than 15-30 minute bursts. i've had some 2hr+ sessions in it, but it's definitely not a comfortable thing to do.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »
Yeah, I've heard multiple people say that about quest.

naff

« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2019, 10:44:01 PM »
it's true. first hour it didn't seem an issue at all. but it builds up. for me, it's less any neck soreness and that it feels quite heavy on my face, digging into my cheekbones and forehead after a while. the fabric used for the padding starts to rub p bad too. ordered some leather lined replacement pads and easily swappable cotton covers for the pads. when you're sharing this thing around the foam pad can suck up a lotta sweat  :-X :gaben

apparently the ultra comfort vrcover pad eases the face stress a fair bit more evenly distributing the weight and stops the light leakage in the nose bridge part. john carmack said he hates the light leakage thing, but is starting to see it as a feature not a bug - people like it so they can "peek" down to see things rather than taking off the headset. i'd rather no light leakage in most things though.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2019, 12:57:57 AM »
I picked up the new Imagine Dragons pack for Beat Saber. At first I was kinda annoyed that one of the 3 Beat Saber DLC packs was being wasted entirely on one band that I don't listen to, but I went through 7 of the 10 tracks on expert and most are pretty fun to play.

Also difficulty is allllll over the place. I almost full combo'd the first song Bad Liar on my first attempt (missed 2) and it was a fun pattern. The next song was fine too. Then you get to the song Digital and it's like Expert+ arm switching every note and it's gonna take me a while in practice mode to nail this down. Hopefully after practicing a while the patterns will make sense like Overkill in the first DLC pack which is the best and most fun song to play once you get it down.

Still, with only 10 songs like in Beat Saber (at least announced so far. I'm guessing after it they'll focus on a Beat Saber 2 that's backwards compatible with the BS1 songs like Rock Band), I kinda hope the next 10 are a mix of 10 licensed songs from 10 different artists. Would rather have a mix of stuff for now and then band packs later on.

But yeah, some of these layouts are really well designed. It's why I'm ok without mod songs, since the quality of the patterns by the main team is very, very good and keeps getting harder and teaching you how to get better. At some point I'll be ready for expert+ at the rate these tracks are getting harder.

Svejk

« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »
Just picked up (triple dipped) Skyrim VR on PSN sale.  So stoked to try it!  :hyper  Now I just need to find time with trying to finish Dark Soul 3 and Bloodstained coming next week.  :dead 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:28:45 PM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2019, 01:21:18 AM »
Yeah, finished up the Imagine Dragons pack for Beat Saber and most of it is fun and solid with some good dance patterns but Warriors & Digital on expert are straight up expert+ patterns on expert speed. Warriors is like expert+ mild and Digital is like full on expert+ ridiculousness. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to get A ranks on these...but will see over time.

Definitely not as strong as the first DLC pack of Monstercats songs, but a solid entry.

Svejk

« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2019, 07:01:21 PM »
Tried Skyrim the other night.  It's Skyrim in VR alright. lol  Those motions controls though...  A bit of a learning curve for them.  It feels good and smooth, but I'm not as accustomed to the Move buttons as the DS4.  It may take me a bit to really get the hang of it.  But I got to say.. this game is meant for VR.  Props to Bethesda for porting it.  I never played the Dargonborn DLC back then, so I look forward to finally playing it.

Svejk

« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2019, 04:18:44 PM »
Oh shit.. Sairento came out in July 10th! (PSVR) I last read it would be the 27th somewhere. Anywho, I will need to get it. I'm reading it's pretty good. Tons of unlockable moves and even has 2p co-op.   Hearing that it's almost like Devil May Cry VR.  :phil

Sho Nuff

« Reply #238 on: July 14, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »
Been out of the PSVR loop for a while. Is Sairento actually good? The PSVR Reddit is filled with such idiocy I can't trust anything anyone there says.

Svejk

« Reply #239 on: July 14, 2019, 06:20:45 PM »
I got it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.  My PSVR backlog is steadily increasing.  I still need to play Skyrim VR, RE7 dlc, Moss extra stuff, amongst other things I've picked up. Damn me and my long RPGs and the little time I have to play them.