Poll

Did this become a thing or did it just die?

LOL
8 (12.3%)
Fuck off
4 (6.2%)
No one wants this shit
23 (35.4%)
Maybe
17 (26.2%)
Yes
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: VR Thread  (Read 79851 times)

Tasty

Re: VR Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2019, 06:27:43 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #241 on: July 25, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
I never realized, but there's a demo for Blood & Truth on PSN.  Gonna try it... eventually.

Svejk

« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
Tried the Blood & Truth demo the other day.  Gotta say, it was pretty damn fun.  The quality of the aiming, especially through a site one eyed, was pretty sweet.  The environments were much more interactive than I expected; from setting bombs, lock picking and climbing ladders.  If only I didn't have so much of a backlog right now...  :-\

kingv

« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2019, 04:45:47 PM »
I’m thinking about grabbing a quest.... people still mostly like theirs?

Bebpo

« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
Taking a break from VR lately due to Beat Saber getting way too hard and stress inducing instead of relieving. They added 3 songs recently to the "Extras" category that are BEMANI style 1000bpm DJ stuff and trying to do those expert is straight out impossible. Even on hard I'm only getting B ranks on two of them. Between a couple of the Imagine Dragons song being really hard one expert and these three I'm definitely concerned that they're going to make expert difficulty out of my skill range, which sucks since hard is zzz when you're used to expert.

Tried the Blood & Truth demo the other day.  Gotta say, it was pretty damn fun.  The quality of the aiming, especially through a site one eyed, was pretty sweet.  The environments were much more interactive than I expected; from setting bombs, lock picking and climbing ladders.  If only I didn't have so much of a backlog right now...  :-\

Yeah, I've played a couple levels and it's dumb fun. I don't think I'd like it half as much if everyone wasn't talking like Jason Statham, but at some point I'll get through a play.

I’m thinking about grabbing a quest.... people still mostly like theirs?

I think so. Biggest concern I still hear is it's kinda heavy compared to PSVR.

kingv

« Reply #245 on: August 09, 2019, 07:25:18 PM »
Yeah, I’ve played some pretty cool stuff on my friends ps r, I just don’t have a place where it would be convenient to set it up.

I played the ace combat stuff at a friends and it was trippy as hell.

The spider man far from home was cool too, but they should have an extreme mode that goes harder on the web swinging stuff. It felt way too slow.

I’m lucky though, I’ve never felt any nausea when playing... at least so far.

Tasty

« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »

I fucking died three times over :dead :dead :dead

Bebpo

« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2019, 03:00:03 AM »
So Beat Saber on PSVR added 6 free tracks today as OST Vol.3

Thankfully after the fucking bemani 3 tracks shit they added into Extras last patch, these are actually easy tracks. Heck they're easier than the Imagine Dragons and Monstercat packs and more similar to the original tracks. I A ranked all of them on expert first run with an S rank on one even. Which also made me wonder if the latest patch adjusted the scoring/detection on PSVR because I felt like I was getting higher scores for my slashes than I typically do but I'll have to test this when I'm running older songs to see if I get S ranks now.

Anyone else still playing Beat Saber regularly? I feel like when a good music game comes out like Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Bemani/Project Diva that I keep playing them for years as long as they keep adding content.

(ok this last one is expert+, still)

These 3 songs in the last patch were fucking lollllllllllllllll

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2019, 12:34:54 AM »
im real keen to get back into beat saber, but my quest has been in the closet for quite a while.

not for lack of things to play. i just haven't made time. keep checking in to see if there's any word on The Climb arriving sometime in the future, but there's never any word (last was early June).
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2019, 06:38:33 AM »
If only Beat Saber had a feature where you could import your own tunes...  :lawd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2019, 11:13:16 PM »
So Beat Saber on PSVR added 6 free tracks today as OST Vol.3

Thankfully after the fucking bemani 3 tracks shit they added into Extras last patch, these are actually easy tracks. Heck they're easier than the Imagine Dragons and Monstercat packs and more similar to the original tracks. I A ranked all of them on expert first run with an S rank on one even. Which also made me wonder if the latest patch adjusted the scoring/detection on PSVR because I felt like I was getting higher scores for my slashes than I typically do but I'll have to test this when I'm running older songs to see if I get S ranks now.

Anyone else still playing Beat Saber regularly? I feel like when a good music game comes out like Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Bemani/Project Diva that I keep playing them for years as long as they keep adding content.

(ok this last one is expert+, still)

These 3 songs in the last patch were fucking lollllllllllllllll

How do the vtubers get those full-body captures and map them to avatars? That must be quite a setup...

Bebpo

« Reply #251 on: September 12, 2019, 12:39:00 AM »
No idea, but yeah it’s pretty cool!

Svejk

« Reply #252 on: September 12, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
Apparently Borderlands 2 VR got a huge update....  I may reconsider it now....

BAMF DLC Added to Borderlands 2 VR for Free

Hello Vault Hunters!

We have one more update for you and this is a big one! We saved the best for last! As promised at PAX East, our Big Summer DLC Update is here! Today we are releasing version 1.0.3 of Borderlands 2 VR which includes some major improvements to the game. Along with performance optimizations and gameplay bug fixes, we've included the ability to download all the previous Borderlands 2 DLC. This DLC pack is so big that it deserved its own name. We call it the BAMF DLC PACK and is available for the magical price of ZERO dollars! That's right, the BAMF DLC PACK is FREE! So, make sure you clear some space on your PS4 and start playing this now! This pack includes:

Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty

Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage

Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt

Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep

T.K. Baha's Bloody Harvest

The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler

How Marcus Saved Mercenary Day

Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre

Sir Hammerlock vs. the Son of Crawmerax

Mechromancer Pack - Gaige - NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTER with adapted BAMF skills

Psycho Pack - Krieg - NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTER with adapted BAMF skills

Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack

Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2: Digistruct Peak Challenge

Many new skins, heads, new vehicles, DLC trophies, and more!

To download this pack, install the latest patch for BL2VR. Go to the new "Downloadable Content" option in the Main Menu, then follow the prompts from there.

As you can see, that's A LOT of NEW content for BL2VR. A little FYI, this is more content than what we released in the base game! It more than doubles the amount of gameplay! Our team worked very hard and pushed to make sure we were able to get all this content to you as soon as possible.

But we didn't stop there. You thought we were just going to give you the DLC, just like that, and call it a day? We wanted to show you that we continued to listen to your feedback and made even more quality of life improvements again! Some of the highlights for this patch include:

HUD ADJUSTMENT OPTIONS (Community Suggestion)

Within the Options Menu, new HUD Options are available:

Default - We noticed a lot of you said you couldn't see the minimap very well so we adjusted the entire HUD and made this the default HUD.

No Minimap - Using this option will completely turn off the minimap but still show you your current mission.

No Missions - This option gets rid of the entire top half of the HUD (Minimap and missions).

No HUD - This was requested by a lot of you so we added it in. You can play the game without the HUD!

HEIGHT CALIBRATION (Community Suggestion)

Re-centering will now also readjust your height for players changing between sitting and standing during gameplay.

HAND MESH POSITION (Community Suggestion)

Hand meshes now pivot around the weapon-trigger in motion controller mode rather than the wrists, to make it feel less like you're holding onto a hand mesh instead of its gun.

BUG FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS

Fixed an issue with the menu popping back and forth when near chest high collision

Fixed an issue where the player had to point below an object to interact with it when using height offset

Fixed an issue where character skins failed to change when scrolling with the arrows

Fixed an issue where pop-up messages in the bottom left corner could have their text cut off

Fixed some issues where HUD elements clipped into one another

Fixed some issues pertaining to the Japanese region and button glyphs

Fixed an issue with the Aim Controller where the player's height offset would cause bullets to fire inaccurately

Fixed the Load Character menu not showing the "Scroll" prompt/glyphs in motion controller mode

Fixed an issue where Zer0's sword would remain invisible if he executed a melee attack with motion controllers during his action skill

Fixed an issue where laser beam attacks (e.g. Constructors, Lab Rats, Dukino's Mom, Terramorphous) fail to damage the player

Fixed a number of screen particles

Rebalanced some DLC bosses for single-player gameplay

They drop more seraph crystals

Dexiduous is now a Seraph Guardian. If you manage to solo him, he will drop A LOT of Seraph crystals

Motor Mama's Rocket Launcher deals slightly less damage

The Badassaurus has been balanced

The side quest "Follow the Glow" now has its initial waypoint at the entrance to the path leading to Adorton Station rather than at the level transition to Adorton Station

The Hoplite Seraph shield now increases Shield capacity by 40% (used to be 20%), which increases by an additional 20% if shared with Deathtrap using the "Sharing is caring" skill

The side quest "MMORPGFPS" will have the player automatically crouch to Teabag if on top of xxDatVaultHuntrxx, no input required!

Fixed performance issues in Washburne refinery

Shamans have slightly less health

Drifters have slightly more health

The layout of the Hyperion ship in the Big Game Hunt DLC is now parallel to the ground to ensure player comfort

During the "Fall of Nakayama" main quest, there is a lever that players need to shoot to activate a retractable bridge. This lever now has a waypoint marker if the player is standing on the other side of the bridge

Tweaks to the behaviors of the Blimp in Flamerock refuge, and the floating platforms in Mines of Avarice and Murderlin's temple, all for comfort reasons

Fixed a collision issue with a red chest not being accessible through a path under the elevator at the entrance to the Wreck of the Ice Sickle

Improved PlayStation®Move Controller rumble

Improved teleportation system

We hope that the content we've been able to add and adapt for PSVR has been exciting, and we love reading posts about people having a blast with BL2VR. Thank you so much for supporting our game!

- BL2VR Dev Team
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/d0kyfe/bamf_dlc_added_to_borderlands_2_vr_for_free/

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #253 on: September 12, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
Unless they fixed the barrel distortion issue on this, stay far away. The way they're doing stereoscopy is objectively wrong and will make you toss your cookies (there's no official UE3 PSVR implementation and they rolled their own, very badly). Pity, this would have been my most played PSVR game, esp with the Aim support.

Svejk

« Reply #254 on: September 12, 2019, 07:23:08 PM »
Tl;dr.  Wasn't sure if that was addressed or not in the notes, but I'm not seeing it.  Damn..  Ho well, glad you mentioned it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #255 on: September 20, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »
Recently visited a VR thing that made me a true believer in the future of VR again.
A VR experience with 10 people at the same time, walking around, wearing VR goggles and carrying cool guns.

Here's a promotion vid of the thing

Our entire company enjoyed it, even some of our employees usually not into games.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #256 on: September 20, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
There's a place in Utah called The Void where they do similar things.  They reconstruct stages/sets for whatever theme they're doing..  Not sure if you can do as many as ten people though....

Bebpo

« Reply #257 on: October 05, 2019, 04:08:29 PM »
Yeah I'm doing the VOID Star Wars VR experience tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it compares.

Beat Saber got 2 new things

-No more mod song support for Oculus quest

-a...4 song Panic at the Disco pack

I picked up the latter and the songs are really easy. I S'ranked 3 of the 4 songs on expert on my first run with an A on the other. Now maybe I've just gotten good at this point having S-ranked almost every song in the game on expert outside the 3 Bemani tracks I can't even clear on expert, but just felt too easy. The OST3 tracks were on the easier side but still better imo.

Then again I play this way too much lol, got the 24 hour game time trophy months ago. With no mod support, just keep playing the same 40-50 tracks over and over so getting kind of good at them.

Svejk

« Reply #258 on: October 05, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »
Let us know how the Void is.  Just found out there's one about 2 hours from me.   :ohhh

Svejk

« Reply #259 on: October 09, 2019, 09:09:44 AM »
Anybody try out that Espire 1: VR Operative?  Not much out there, but read somewhere it's a basically a VR MGS....  those are strong words and shouldn't be used lightly.  Because if so, I'll need to get this pronto.  The videos make it look pretty decent. 

naff

« Reply #260 on: October 09, 2019, 05:56:38 PM »
i pulled out the quest to check out real vr fishing the other week. been playing a bunch. put a bunch of new techno and some ambient tunes on there, hit the armchair with a beer. this my jam. (not to be confused with real fishing vr lol). all locations are in korea, really well done environments and simple effects that make for a really relaxing smooth experience.

joked with our cfo this morning, an avid fly fisher, about teaching him a few things after i've levelled up a bit. he laughed and agreed, then offered to take me fly fishing for real  :lol
looking forward to this big dick energy corporate synergy real fishing experience (im probably going to really embarrass myself).

◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #261 on: October 09, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
also, yeah. announced a few weeks back now. but they did it.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/26/oculus-quest-link-hands-on-pc-vr
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #262 on: October 09, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »
Let us know how the Void is.  Just found out there's one about 2 hours from me.   :ohhh

Oh, so responding to this. It's pretty cool. It's kinda short but is definitely like the future of videogames as it was straight up a video game. The coolest bits are definitely walking between rooms without taking your helmet off, obviously games never gonna be able to replicate this but I'd like to see more amusement park places have these. It's super cool to walk through a virtual door with hands free VR. Walking onto a floating platform that then flies away with you on it and then lands somewhere else and you walk off it to the new area is rad.

The other stuff is related like hitting physical objects/buttons/levers which is cool but not that big of deal. Some heat/water effects too which are nice.

But the biggest thing besides walking between rooms in wireless VR is the haptic feedback vest. This can easily be done at home and needs to be the future for VR. Since the Star Wars one is essentially a cover shooter, shooting gallery, it's pretty rad to feel when you get hit, where you get hit and how hard you get hit. Definitely adds a lot of makes you want to play better and not get hit! So you start ducking behind cover and playing safer and more realistically.

It also uses controller free VR where it creates virtual hands from your hands out in front of it. Pretty cool but it's not a huge deal. I honestly think we need haptic gloves > glove-less hands so we can feel the virtual pressure feedback of virtual items we touch which you can't do with your gloveless hands unless it's a room built with objects for the VR.

And for the cover shooter portion you pick up a physical gun which is your VR gun and shooting was pretty decent with it. Would like to see VR light gun accessories that are like the old Virtua Cop guns and how accurate they'd be shooting in VR with them.

Definitely gets me excited for the future of VR. It's a way better Star Wars ride/experience than the new 4d ride at Star Wars land which is also trying to be a immersive+game thing.

Probably will go back and try the Wreck it Ralph one they have at some point. Definitely would like to do the Aliens one in Vegas.

Svejk

« Reply #263 on: October 09, 2019, 07:38:19 PM »
Oh man... I would so do an Alien one!

bluemax

« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2019, 12:39:44 AM »
Recently visited a VR thing that made me a true believer in the future of VR again.
A VR experience with 10 people at the same time, walking around, wearing VR goggles and carrying cool guns.

Here's a promotion vid of the thing

Our entire company enjoyed it, even some of our employees usually not into games.

People keep trying to make LBE stuff a thing but I feel like its dying out even quicker than at home VR.

There's a place in Utah called The Void where they do similar things.  They reconstruct stages/sets for whatever theme they're doing..  Not sure if you can do as many as ten people though....

Yeah the Void is probably one of the more successful LBE companies out there. The Ghostbusters and Star Wars things got some hype. They've got a location right next to where I work: https://www.thevoid.com/locations/santa-monica/

Tickets used to run about $30 for a 30 minute experience.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2019, 12:44:53 AM »
In Japan there is a Dragon Quest one:

NO

Bebpo

« Reply #266 on: October 10, 2019, 01:12:33 AM »
Hey, I played that on Wii when it was called Dragon Quest Swords!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still would play this if I'm in the neighborhood
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #267 on: October 10, 2019, 08:50:38 PM »
https://vrzone-pic.com/shinjuku/en/

Look at all the VR experiences they had.

They closed in March of this year  :'(

bluemax

« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2019, 12:21:12 AM »
LBE probably has another year for someone to get it to a profitable state before it drops off the map again for another 5 years.
NO

Svejk

« Reply #269 on: October 11, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »
https://vrzone-pic.com/shinjuku/en/

Look at all the VR experiences they had.

They closed in March of this year  :'(
:mindblown

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #270 on: November 24, 2019, 09:49:42 AM »
Since the HL:A thread is becoming a general VR thread might as well make this to have a better way to talk about it

My Quest is coming today, pretty stoked. I got these cables for Link coming tomorrow and GMG hooked it up with a bunch of free VR games so I'll test em out and see how that goess

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749MLMTT
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MXKU8

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #271 on: November 24, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »
Oooo, is there confirmation that cable extender will work with Oculus Link?
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »
I saw this youtuber recommended it and said it was a good extender. Same for the oculus quest reddit

from what reddit says, it does sound like you want to keep your total cable length to ~20ft or under and this thing is 16ft so I got a short cable to connect to the quest itself.

the video also recommend a comfort strap that doubles as cable management so i might look into that.

TVC15

« Reply #273 on: November 24, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »
I just same-day ordered one from Amazon. If it actually comes in I’ll report on it. My cable works fine, it’s just too short to get to my minimal safe play space.
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
since i've heard mixed reports, is the quest built in audio any good or are the little headphones pretty much required?

TVC15

« Reply #275 on: November 24, 2019, 10:26:36 AM »
You’re probably asking the wrong person :( I’m fine with the built-in audio but I’m not the best judge of this sort of thing. I also just like the idea of keeping my ears open so I’m at least vaguely aware if something happens around me. It’s worth trying without them at least, if it might save you a few bucks. The quality certainly ain’t bad or annoying or too tinny or anything.
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
Just showed up a couple hours ago. Feels real good, zero wires is really amazing. Sound feels fine too. Fiddled with some of the demos and bought Beat Saber, mostly just played with that lol. Gonna watch wrasslin in a bit but I'll do the Vader thing sometime soon.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
Hey we already had a vr thread that no one participated in

Anyway I've had a quest since like May and it's great fun. It's been worth it just to watch people fall down walking on a plank.
rub

naff

« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2019, 04:21:37 PM »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2019, 04:33:13 PM »
superhot is still the only game i really love on the quest so far
◕‿◕

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
oh oops, searched for vr and didn't see. might be easy to merge the two

played vader episode 1 and it was pretty good but a bit too restrictive. kept moving out of the play area when i didn't with superhot or beat saber

naff

« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »
just bought this thing http://ipv4.unitek-products.com/product?view=product&id=376. will update whether it works well with Link.
◕‿◕

naff

◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2019, 08:28:46 PM »
Oh my god Magic Leap is so terrible, I got to try one and I was like "Noooooo are you kidding"

It's the VR equivalent of R-Zone

TVC15

« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2019, 08:31:15 PM »
I just same-day ordered one from Amazon. If it actually comes in I’ll report on it. My cable works fine, it’s just too short to get to my minimal safe play space.

Bad news: I can’t get it to work with that cable extender.

The cable extender is also pretty stiff (and it smells funky too). Thicker than the working USB cable.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2019, 08:39:08 PM »
Hold up, I was wrong, works fine. I was using the wrong USB cable. I have too many cables.
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #286 on: November 24, 2019, 09:43:14 PM »
How's the quality? Any lag?

TVC15

« Reply #287 on: November 24, 2019, 10:57:52 PM »
Nope, all good. Just threw on Virtual Rickality to test things out.

The main issue I've had with Link is that when you disconnect from the PC, it seems to frequently lose full 6dof tracking in the controllers and you have to reboot the Quest to make things right. It feels like the sort of thing that will get sorted out. It's not a big deal, just plan on rebooting your Quest if you're going to be using Link for now.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:31:53 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2019, 10:16:22 AM »

TVC15

« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2019, 12:45:10 PM »
Espire 1: VR Operative is very promising from the level I played. It's more along the lines of a "full game" than many of the more arcade-y 15-minutes-or-less games that VR seems to excel at.

I played the Quest version, not the PC versions. I'd describe the visuals on the level I saw as HD Dreamcast-y with Special Sauce. The environments are pretty plain, but if you see a computer or a model with details on it, it's probably pretty detailed. Here's the Quest version, which runs perfect:

The thing with Quest downports is that they may look worse, but they'll generally run and play fine, which is why I have no prob using it for head movement-heavy games. They've been pretty decent about making sure games meet Quest performance standards before they make them available on the store. This is a big improvement over the Go store where it was kind of Android-y when it came to quality control (ie. If it builds, you can sell it).

spoiler (click to show/hide)
PC version doesn't look great either. They were clearly keeping their specs low to make sure this translated to Quest and PSVR well.
[close]

The game itself is a stealth shooter. You have magnetized hands and knees/feet (or you're part robot or something) and can climb any metal surface. Yes, this means hanging over enemies' heads on the ceiling Alien-style and then going bug nuts on everyone. The climbing mechanic is pretty fun--there's something similar in Vader Immortal but it's put to much more use here. This isn't really a case where there's linear, you-must-use-this-to-advance conspicuous metal paths all over the place. It's placed kind of organically. Anyway, I only did 1 level, and a lot of it was very tutorial, so I can't really say how well this mechanic is used throughout the game, but there's a lot of potential in this.

Also, it's really weird hanging from the ceiling in VR, looking upwards in reality, and seeing the floor of some Dreamcast office building filled with baddies. I'm not even sure if that sentence makes sense. We're deep Borges now.

The shooting mechanics are also nice. I won't go over everything, but they've added numerous nice wrinkles to the same-ol same-ol. You grab weapons by reaching near body locations and grabbing (ie. grab at your waist for your pistol, your left chest for your tool...), and unlike most games that use this mechanic, Espire lets you customize exactly where you want to grab. So if you need your waist holsters at nipple level, you do you. There's more to shooting but like I'm supposed to have a job and I have other shit I want to touch on. It's good, maybe better than good.

Next, comfort and UI options. I said this is more like a full game, and the developers have gone above and beyond in offering enough comfort options to make sure anyone can play this to their likely. I think they have every comfort option in the book and they may have invented a few new ones. Also, the HUD is rather customizable. This is the kind of FPS that requires actual FPS movement, which is a tough thing to do in a corridor-heavy VR game without making people spray vomit way beyond the limits of their Guardian zone. So aces here, with one minor nit that is not specific to this game...

...Comfort options. They offer a lot of them, but they don't really explain any of them. Lots of other games with comfort options are the same way. This stuff can get conceptual and tough to describe, so I think most developers just opt to not write difficult tool tips. The issue is that first impressions are everything, and if Average Joe doesn't know what he needs his comfort options to be, he's likely not going to have a very pleasant experience with VR, and he'll never try it again, especially if he gets sick (and he probably will). Pistol Whip, which has really simple controls, also has really complex, thorough comfort settings. Pistol Whip is a great intro to VR, but understanding the comfort options is more demanding than anything the game asks of you. This is a significant barrier; users need to understand at least the basics of comfort options if they're going to enjoy VR. The nature of the problem also means that this is something the players have to learn, unless there are like unimaginable super-psychic processors developed any time soon.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:49:53 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2019, 12:48:45 PM »
Climbing the ladders in Vader Immortal was the only time I felt ill yesterday and I played for 3-4 hours throughout the day, but it hit immediately

TVC15

« Reply #291 on: November 25, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »
The difference in climbing between this and Vader is that you're not limited to a straight up-and-down ladder or pipe. You're more free, like Spider-Man, wallcrawling. And also, there are no "rungs" at set intervals or anything. No idea if either of those will make a difference for you. I'm not sure offhand if any of the comfort options had anything to do with ladder climbing, but I'll take a look tonight. It's also cross-buy on Rift/Quest so it would be a good game to spot differences or downgrades or whatever.
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
I think it was most just the world moving up/down and my actual body not moving that immediately triggered a "hell no" from my brain.

this espire game look cool as fuck though. that's going on the ever-growing list. today i want to either play another episode or two of vader or give pcvr a shot with arizona sunshine depending on when my cables arrive. i got those 5 free vr games from GMG so might as well try them all out, even ST Bridge Crew lol

bought beat saber yesterday but holding off on more quest store purchases just in case they do a black friday sale this week.

TVC15

« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2019, 01:31:31 PM »
Let me know if you ever want to grab BigScreen and we can go and loudly masturbate over VoIP in the public anime kids theatre.
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
Ah okay, that's what Bigscreen is for. I downloaded a bunch of media player looking apps yesterday figuring one of them had to be good but the ones i've tried all kinda feel like sitting in the front row of the movie theater rather than a comfortable way to watch a movie.

TVC15

« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2019, 01:54:31 PM »
I only watch shit in VR if I'm doing it with someone else. I used to do movie nights with a friend but he went and ruined things by having kids. We've been trying to do one a month in VR. I like it more than co-watching the same movie on different laptops because VoIP is built right in, and it being VR means you know you're both paying attention to the movie and not fapping to hentai in another tab.

The downside is BigScreen is beta (and has been for a long time) and a lot of the problems seem to come from the server end, so if the service isn't working when you need it to, it just isn't working. The problems aren't going on all the time or anything. It's a good service and it's under the radar, so it's not uncommon to see people watching screeners and stuff.
serge

naff

« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »
whoa, Link cable arrived already, and I just fixed my pc 8) Power supply was starting to fritz, still booting but some rails being a bit dodgy. 5 years ain't a bad run though. Ironically it's pretty much the only component i bought new in my machine, and now it's the only component I've replaced aside from getting a 1070 a while back. Haven't encountered a cpu bottleneck w my 5 y/o 4690k yet in games I've played. assume that may start to change if i upgrade to someones old vega 64 or 1080ti.
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #297 on: November 25, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »
whoa, Link cable arrived already, and I just fixed my pc 8) Power supply was starting to fritz, still booting but some rails being a bit dodgy. 5 years ain't a bad run though. Ironically it's pretty much the only component i bought new in my machine, and now it's the only component I've replaced aside from getting a 1070 a while back. Haven't encountered a cpu bottleneck w my 5 y/o 4690k yet in games I've played. assume that may start to change if i upgrade to someones old vega 64 or 1080ti.
My 4970k is paired with an RTX 2070 Super.

As long as Xbox One and PS4 still have garbage CPU's not a single game seems CPU limited.
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2019, 07:41:08 PM »
ok, quake in vr was almost immediately nausea inducing :lol

dirt rally is pretty fantastic though. dropped two hours in that without noticing

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #299 on: November 26, 2019, 02:24:10 AM »
ok, quake in vr was almost immediately nausea inducing :lol

dirt rally is pretty fantastic though. dropped two hours in that without noticing

I wonder how much of it is your head differentiating between walking and driving?