Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 601917 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #600 on: September 21, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
Free speech matters, m'kay. Even if it's uncomfortable, m'kay.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Alternative: How can he SLAPP?!
[close]

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #601 on: September 21, 2018, 11:26:33 AM »
Threatening to sue over criticism is the epitome of white privilege.

"You not believing my bullshit is a violation of my rights!"
 :snob
©ZH

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #602 on: September 21, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
You guys are idiots. That's not criticism.

When are you stupid fucks going to realize slapping someone with labels like racists, nazi, and so on isn't actual criticism. It's fucking slander. You are purposely trying to damage someone's reputation.

WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW

college intellectual mentality:

:six:

his arguments offend me let's destroy his career!!! Oh no he's suing me, but but but but my free speech!

Oh, wait someone is coming on campus to have a civil discussion on a panel??? BRING OUT THE BLOW HORNS!!! LET's protest to shut him down!!!!

:reeeee

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #603 on: September 21, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »
WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW

Only if it's not true. :doge
dog

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #604 on: September 21, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »

When are you stupid fucks going to realize slapping someone with labels like racists, nazi, and so on isn't actual criticism. It's fucking slander. You are purposely trying to damage someone's reputation.

Opinions can't be defemation;   calling someone racist or misogynist doesn't count.  Maybe stupid shit like "literal nazi" could get you in trouble though.
By my understanding of the law, and i can be wrong here, if he's being defamed by another professor or someone in academia and it hurts his academic career he in fact does have grounds to sue.

Winning it or not is another matter and since he's a public figure now then it could be harder.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #605 on: September 21, 2018, 01:55:56 PM »

Peterson called Pankaj Mishra a "racist" after Mishra wrote a harsh review of Peterson in NYRB.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #606 on: September 21, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »
Also Peterson was planning a website to publicly label professors as "neomarxist" as a way of driving them out of academia, since he believes several fields of study "have to go."

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #607 on: September 21, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »

Opinions can't be defemation;   calling someone racist or misogynist doesn't count.  Maybe stupid shit like "literal nazi" could get you in trouble though.
By my understanding of the law, and i can be wrong here, if he's being defamed by another professor or someone in academia and it hurts his academic career he in fact does have grounds to sue.

Winning it or not is another matter and since he's a public figure now then it could be harder.

It has to be statements that can be proven right or wrong;  claiming he did something he didn't do, etc. 

Calling a book or a person racist or misogynist can't be proven wrong, it's an opinion.

People who can't tell the difference are literally stupid.    Perhaps they did make statements that are factual, I don't know the case(s), but if they didn't the cases will just be thrown out.
And here is the problem. The left will call anyone they disagree with a "racist" and immediately attempt to get that person fired for baseless accusations.  The object of the game is to ruin the careers of anyone you disagree with.

This whole thing is ugly.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #608 on: September 21, 2018, 02:05:53 PM »
cry more

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #609 on: September 21, 2018, 02:15:48 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #610 on: September 21, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
lol you don't even read this guy's books bro
dog

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #611 on: September 21, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »
lol you don't even read this guy's books bro

huh? what you say?

agrajag

« Reply #612 on: September 21, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »
Zen, everyone.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2018, 05:21:25 AM »
So, I plugged the URL from Benji's post into Reddit, and guess what, the Peterson sub is mum about chilling effects, as you might predict. Very little activity about this story. Nvm, I'm just blind. :doge

BUT, guess who I found!? :gladbron
https://www.reddit.com/r/JordanPeterson/comments/9hk200/jordan_peterson_threatened_to_sue_feminist_critic/e6cjhdz/

Mmm~
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/9gjhsf/ethics_tim_pool_joe_rogan_accused_of_promoting/e65gic1/

Not as much activity on the Peterson sub as I would have expected. And all in all quite boring to be honest. :goty2

https://www.reddit.com/r/JordanPeterson/comments/99kloq/rowan_atkinson_on_free_speech_in_uk/e4ohnz0/?context=0
:rofl
Like a defamation lawsuit you're not expecting to win? :ryker

https://www.reddit.com/r/JordanPeterson/comments/9632y0/why_do_the_people_who_hate_jordan_peterson_so/e3ygb77/
Peterson lives in a lot of people's heads rent-free. They become obsessed with him because they can't resolve the conflict that he produces inside of them.

If you poke that part of another person that is weak and exposed unbeknownst to them then they will get conflicted, angry at the conflicted feeling and proceed to hate you in an obsessive manner.
Rawr!

https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/comments/95h4pn/we_didnt_listen/e3ua7i9/?context=0
Alex needs to come on the Rogan show soon. Not because I'm a fan, but to piss of YT and the chapodoodles.
But then this. :lol

---

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1043057116695556096

Google is part of the government? Why do some people insist on elevating a corporations' advertising platform to a public space. It's a stupid idea, guys.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:52:42 AM by Rufus »

agrajag

« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »
The megaphone is Assi's cute little version of "talk to the hand, mister." Not very alpha.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #615 on: September 22, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »
"treason"

:neogaf
dog

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #616 on: September 22, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »
Why is thread called Wank Dad?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2018, 12:46:53 PM »
cuz lil bitch etoilet couldn't take a joke

Oblivion

« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »
"treason"

"The most intelligent conservative intellectual in the Western Hemisphere!" (tm)

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #619 on: September 22, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »
Why is thread called Wank Dad?

Intellectual Dark Web

Intellectual Dank Wad

Intellectual Wank Dad

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #620 on: September 23, 2018, 04:47:29 AM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #621 on: September 23, 2018, 05:02:35 AM »
Wait, so what does that make Dave Rubin?

benjipwns

agrajag

« Reply #623 on: September 23, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
Wait, so what does that make Dave Rubin?

Amir0x

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #624 on: September 23, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
Watching Daddy P continuously trigger libs

:heart

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #625 on: September 24, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »

benjipwns

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #627 on: October 11, 2018, 06:05:56 AM »
Has he done something like this before? Reacted to backlash and confusion from Twitter in this way, I mean.

agrajag

« Reply #628 on: October 11, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
I ain't reading that  :nope

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #629 on: October 11, 2018, 08:23:57 AM »
:uguu he calls people “coward” :uguu
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #630 on: November 12, 2018, 01:18:29 AM »
Daddy P has been dethroned folks AND BY A WOMAN: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/11/11/intellectual-dark-web-quillette-claire-lehmann-221917
The Voice of the ‘Intellectual Dark Web’
Claire Lehmann’s online magazine, Quillette, prides itself on publishing ‘dangerous’ ideas other outlets won’t touch. How far is it willing to go?
One evening this fall at a house in West Hollywood, the Australian editor and writer Claire Lehmann had dinner with the neuroscientist Sam Harris and Eric Weinstein, the managing director of tech entrepreneur Peter Thiel’s investment firm. Joe Rogan, the podcast host, joined later on, when the group decamped to a comedy club.

You could think of the gathering as a board meeting of sorts for the “intellectual dark web,” or IDW, a loose cadre of academics, journalists and tech entrepreneurs who view themselves as standing up to the knee-jerk left-leaning politics of academia and the media.
Over steaks, Lehmann recalls, the conversation revolved around a brewing academic scandal, a prank engineered by friends of hers. They had successfully placed seven nonsensical research papers in various academic journals devoted to what they characterized as “grievance studies.” One of the papers included a lengthy passage from Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf, rewritten to focus on feminism and intersectionality. Another was about rape culture in dog parks. Absurd as the papers were, they had been accepted by expert editors and published as serious research. For those in attendance, it was a ringing confirmation of just how politicized academia had become, and how blindly devoted to fashionable moralities.

It was also a big story for Quillette, the online magazine Lehmann runs and the unofficial digest of the IDW. Lehmann had known about the prank before the Wall Street Journal broke the news, and she had some time to formulate a response that would fan the flames. “I wanted the public to be aware that there are many people within the academy who are fed up with grievance studies scholarship,” says Lehmann, who went on to publish responses from five like-minded academics—one of whom called the incident “a Cultural Revolution in our own backyard.”

For readers and thinkers who regard themselves as intellectually curious but feel alienated from the lock-step politics of universities and the broader left, Quillette has become a haven for stories like this—and topics treated as taboo elsewhere. At times, it has drawn intense social media backlash, with contributors labeled everything from “clowns” to “cryptofascists” on Twitter. But fans of the site include pop psychologist Jordan Peterson, evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, psychology professors Steven Pinker of Harvard and Jonathan Haidt of New York University, and columnists like David Brooks, Meghan Daum and Andrew Sullivan. “I continue to be impressed that Quillette publishes heterodox but intellectually serious and non-inflammatory pieces [about] ideas that have become near-taboo in academic and intellectual discourse,” Pinker wrote to me in an email, “including ones connected to heritability, sex and sex differences, race, culture, Islam, free speech and violence.” Haidt, co-author of the recent book The Coddling of the American Mind, called Quillette in an email “a gathering place for people who love to play with ideas and hate being told that there are ideas they are not supposed to play with.”

benjipwns

« Reply #631 on: November 12, 2018, 01:33:50 AM »
As a major supporter of any kind of "heterodox" or "revisionist" publishing/journals/etc. I forgot to put this in the argument with Assi back before he was killed by Jair Bosonaro supporters. It's that Quillette is exactly the Peterson, Brooks, Sullivan, etc. type of "edgy" "heterodox" writing that well, Sullivan himself is infamous for promoting at a prior job.

Where, it's not. It's new writers rehashing the same old tropes. Look at the list Pinker gives "heritability, sex and sex differences, race, culture, Islam, free speech and violence." They're producing exactly what Sullivan's New Republic was lamented for ultimately, an upper class salon for views ever so slightly out of the mainstream but definitely out of the academic mainstream that never want to grapple with conclusions and instead just continue "asking questions." While handwaiving a lot of the critiques by saying "oh, I'm on the left economically" or "I support LGBT" or whatever. That ultimately stops any actual exploration of a heterodox that goes beyond their own special circle.

Maybe it'll change now it's become popular and apparently is being well funded. But I wonder if that will make it more willing to let in more heterodox views even if to challenge them, or if it'll close it up to that squalid list of tropes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #632 on: November 12, 2018, 09:08:52 AM »
Daddy P has been dethroned folks AND BY A WOMAN:

Just like every major cultural event for straight white males they had to REBOOT IT WITH A WOMAN.

:gladbron
:cody
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #633 on: November 13, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
As a major supporter of any kind of "heterodox" or "revisionist" publishing/journals/etc. I forgot to put this in the argument with Assi back before he was killed by Jair Bosonaro supporters. It's that Quillette is exactly the Peterson, Brooks, Sullivan, etc. type of "edgy" "heterodox" writing that well, Sullivan himself is infamous for promoting at a prior job.

Where, it's not. It's new writers rehashing the same old tropes. Look at the list Pinker gives "heritability, sex and sex differences, race, culture, Islam, free speech and violence." They're producing exactly what Sullivan's New Republic was lamented for ultimately, an upper class salon for views ever so slightly out of the mainstream but definitely out of the academic mainstream that never want to grapple with conclusions and instead just continue "asking questions." While handwaiving a lot of the critiques by saying "oh, I'm on the left economically" or "I support LGBT" or whatever. That ultimately stops any actual exploration of a heterodox that goes beyond their own special circle.

Maybe it'll change now it's become popular and apparently is being well funded. But I wonder if that will make it more willing to let in more heterodox views even if to challenge them, or if it'll close it up to that squalid list of tropes.

Yup.

It's really striking how much of the IDW/Quillette stuff is just rehashing the sort of contrarian centrism that was the staple of TNR and Slate in the 90's and 00's. The fact that basically everyone doing that schtick also was deeply wrong in Iraq probably inoculated me against it.

They're only really "heterodox" against a sort of academic, op-ed liberalism that doesn't really wield all that much power, so the fights they wind up picking seem even more petty and cloistered. I can't imagine spending any amount of time with normal people and thinking the real threat to society is not enough people accepting gender differences or giving race science a fair shake. It's kind of the highbrow version of "nobody's allowed to say Merry Christmas anymore!"

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #634 on: November 13, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/iD4RO/status/1060305397796519937

I'll say this in Peterson's favor: he's a huge fuckin' weirdo instead of being boring like the rest of them. He's the Hunter S. Thompson of David Brookses.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #635 on: November 13, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
In my dream, I wrestled my opponent to the ground. He was still talking, mindlessly, mechanically, rapidly, nonstop. I bent his wrists to force his knuckles into his mouth. His arms bent like rubber and, even though I managed the task, he did not stop babbling.
why would you share this with other people

Wasn’t all the money I was making from my book and tour merely evidence that I had found a weak spot in desperate young men and exploiting them shamelessly?
narrator: it was
每天生气

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #636 on: November 13, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »
 :sabu

loved the conclusion - returning home shook to his wife asleep trying to shake a persistent cold and going out to eat a steak. his persistent diet of beef, seemingly chosen because he swallowed the pseudo science peddled by his daughter regarding a cure for his intractable auto-immune disorder.
◕‿◕

agrajag

« Reply #637 on: November 13, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
You guys shouldn't talk about Daddy P without Et and Assi around to defend his honor.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #638 on: November 13, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »
At least he didn't drink cider this time, or things would've gotten real crazy.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #639 on: November 13, 2018, 09:54:40 PM »
Yup.

It's really striking how much of the IDW/Quillette stuff is just rehashing the sort of contrarian centrism that was the staple of TNR and Slate in the 90's and 00's. The fact that basically everyone doing that schtick also was deeply wrong in Iraq probably inoculated me against it.

Yeah I read a lot of TNR as a teenager and it kind of warped my sensibilities for a while, Iraq mostly cured me of it eventually
QED

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #640 on: November 13, 2018, 10:05:56 PM »
He considered himself a liberal, meaning someone attracted by the more radical end of the left

These people are totally clueless about the political spectrum beyond Paul Krugman.

I hadn’t spent two hours talking to a person. The person wasn’t there, or was barely there (even though the journalist had the makings, I would say, of a fine young man). I couldn’t reach him. Instead, I had a very irritating discussion with an ideologically possessed puppet and that was both too familiar and too unpleasant.

this is the same thinking behind the npc meme
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:16:24 PM by curly »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #641 on: November 14, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »
In my dream, I wrestled my opponent to the ground. He was still talking, mindlessly, mechanically, rapidly, nonstop. I bent his wrists to force his knuckles into his mouth. His arms bent like rubber and, even though I managed the task, he did not stop babbling.
why would you share this with other people

True narcissists want you to know everything their brain cooks up. Even their dreams have meaning.
But only to them :shh
[close]
©ZH

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #642 on: November 15, 2018, 01:14:10 AM »
Someone on another forum was pinballing the idea that the French journalist had actually brought up receipts on specific passages/citations. Evidently the French academic culture is such that it encourages deep readings of texts and a French journalist could reasonably be supposed to have a respectable understanding of like, Derrida or whoever. So there was a hope that that the eventual article would have some juicy gotcha moments.

Jesus he’s a terrible writer.
i think I’ve talked about this here with benji before, a major stylistic thread that runs through the idealistic/romantic right, and especially it’s more online elements, is the complete mangling of figurative language. Like you get these passages that are so deliberately baroque, but it’s by people who’s idea of prose was shaped more by obsidian rpgs than the western canon. In Peterson’s case, I think he sounds like he’s larping Zarathustra.

:sabu

loved the conclusion - returning home shook to his wife asleep trying to shake a persistent cold and going out to eat a steak. his persistent diet of beef, seemingly chosen because he swallowed the pseudo science peddled by his daughter regarding a cure for his intractable auto-immune disorder.
hes got a shtick where he paints him and those close to him as people of unusually frail constitution. Fwiw, it’s funny and discouraging that the idw’s dream daddy is such a neurotic whiner

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #643 on: November 16, 2018, 02:53:32 AM »
i think I’ve talked about this here with benji before, a major stylistic thread that runs through the idealistic/romantic right, and especially it’s more online elements, is the complete mangling of figurative language. Like you get these passages that are so deliberately baroque, but it’s by people who’s idea of prose was shaped more by obsidian rpgs than the western canon. In Peterson’s case, I think he sounds like he’s larping Zarathustra.

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1063035767889383425

benjipwns

« Reply #644 on: November 29, 2018, 09:18:50 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #645 on: November 29, 2018, 10:11:34 PM »
Just a broken man playing to the crowd. Mh-hm.

Wait, who are we talking about again?

shosta

« Reply #646 on: November 29, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »
clip is too short. that last bit sounds like he was about to argue that hitler didn't really believe in everything he did, but it suddenly cuts off and i would be remiss to assume anything from a person who engages in as many wasted words as peterson. rest of the clip seemed fine, although it was a bit too long for "germans became susceptible to revanchism".
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #647 on: November 29, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
lol it's all the way from last year:

not exact clip, but conversation regarding Hitler starts at like 51 minutes after they try to think of a country run by sociopaths and can't come up with one until Ethan thinks of the Nazi Party elite...it's a few minutes after that, around 57 minutes or so where the clip conversation starts after a description of the horrors of Zyklon B poisoning...also remember to use your H3H3 code for free shipping on your hats!

also, holy crap, he literally wore the same shirt on both visits which got me to click through a whole other 2 hour podcast video with no mention of Nazi's...who the fuck does he think he is, Ben Shapiro? two Ben Shapiro's? :maf

Ethan says there were probably good people in Nazi Germany who got ran over, the fucking alt-right shitlord
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #648 on: November 29, 2018, 11:18:07 PM »
random non-Nazi note from a different part where Ethan asks how he handles all his daily schedule crap, he says Maps of Meaning took him 15 years to write

did i know this?

shosta

« Reply #649 on: November 29, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »
That's not even the best part. He says he took so long to write it because he knew it was a serious philosophical work and that every sentence had to be as correct and precise as possible, or else people would take it apart immediately. So it was only finished once he was satisfied that it was basically unassailable. This is funny because if you read any part of it, it's still a mess. :lol poor yeti!
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #650 on: November 29, 2018, 11:28:34 PM »
he starts going through a whole list of signs of neurotic behavior and Ethan and/or Hila basically go "got that" to each of them :lol

also that fuckin Canadian accent is just spilling out of him, fuckin nazis :yuck

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #651 on: November 29, 2018, 11:29:46 PM »
Listen to how strongly he emphasizes WW1 and economic deprivation as context (if not outright mitigating factors) for the rise of Hitler and the Nazi party, to the point where he explicitly describs things from Hitler's perspective, before casually referring to "a Communist revolution in Russia" as just another Exogenous Bad Thing.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #652 on: November 30, 2018, 12:09:37 AM »
I remember when we studied the rise of Nazism in high school they always played up the hyperinflation thing but left out the whole "German Empire fought World War I on the credit card" and the "Chartalism was not a lunatic fringe school of economics there" things. And that was in Catholic school!

benjipwns

« Reply #653 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:53 AM »
one of my favorite parts of The War To End All Wars (and "The Peace That Failed" I guess) is how pretty much everyone fought the thing on the credit card and how this was "resolved" post-war

specifically the part where a certain nation or two were basically paying the Germans to pay their reparations to the Treaty Allies to pay back their loans to the first parties...and some countries got in on more than one part of this chain  :money

also that part where they forgot to account for how any significant changes in economic status among the states might alter the setup of the scheme
[close]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:22:00 AM by benjipwns »

Mandark

• Icon

shosta

« Reply #655 on: December 09, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »
Actually his whole twitter feed is fire today.

This American right wing grassroots panel or whatever it’s calling itself is lol.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1071162678582874112
https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1070518052108861440
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon

benjipwns

« Reply #657 on: December 10, 2018, 02:07:04 AM »
Bob Johnson!

wait

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #658 on: December 10, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
I guess Gristle McThornbody has dodged the banhammer.
©@©™

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #659 on: December 14, 2018, 12:16:02 AM »
Someone on another forum was pinballing the idea that the French journalist had actually brought up receipts on specific passages/citations. Evidently the French academic culture is such that it encourages deep readings of texts and a French journalist could reasonably be supposed to have a respectable understanding of like, Derrida or whoever. So there was a hope that that the eventual article would have some juicy gotcha moments.