Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 608026 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #420 on: July 07, 2018, 07:12:08 PM »
Curly, stop bullying this guy.

agrajag

« Reply #421 on: July 07, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »
I found a picture of Daddy P with Assimilate

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #422 on: July 07, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »
 :drudge

mods halp, i'm being doxed by a Vagina

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #423 on: July 07, 2018, 07:35:43 PM »
It's the closest you've been to a vagina in a long time, though.

Oblivion

« Reply #424 on: July 08, 2018, 12:21:20 AM »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #425 on: July 08, 2018, 12:40:11 AM »
serge

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #426 on: July 08, 2018, 12:52:52 AM »
i live with my gf.

try harder.

TVC15

« Reply #427 on: July 08, 2018, 12:59:21 AM »
i live with my gf.

try harder.

It’s true. Proof:

serge

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #428 on: July 08, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
i live with my gf.

try harder.

::)

On another note: Have you actually finished the goddamn book, yet?

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #429 on: July 08, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
i live with my gf.

try harder.

You live with your girlfriend but still cyberstalk and obsess over all of your exes on facebook?

who doesn't do that?

:yeshrug

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #430 on: July 08, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »
Well adjusted people
and we have those on TheBore?

:huh

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #431 on: July 08, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »
What a plot twist that Assimilate reveals himself to be an obsessive malcontent that hasn't even read any of Peterson's work. It's almost too poetic.
You're trying too hard. It's not a good look.

Remember what Daddy P says

:ufup

TVC15

« Reply #432 on: July 08, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »
Red Lobster: For the seafood lover in you?
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #433 on: July 08, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »
Pet a cat?
©@©™

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #434 on: July 08, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »

Meh it's pretty damn obvious at this point that dude is a dumbass and a crypto fash, stop listening to him/giving him money. :derp
Hi

agrajag

« Reply #435 on: July 08, 2018, 03:54:45 PM »
Dillahunty obliterated him in that debate. I wasn't reading the wank dad thread at the time, but I imagine etiolate thought Daddy P held his own?

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #436 on: July 08, 2018, 05:20:20 PM »
Dillahunty obliterated him in that debate. I wasn't reading the wank dad thread at the time, but I imagine etiolate thought Daddy P held his own?

As usual i went in for an annihilation and came out disappointed. This was akin to the Sam Harris debate where things get a bit bogged down and went nowhere. If you can point out where this "obliteration" occurred please do share, share some time stamps because i didn't see any.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #437 on: July 08, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »
It can seem that way viewed out of context.

You really need to understand Peterson's theories (as laid out in Maps of Meanings) to appreciate how thoroughly he was humiliated.

agrajag

« Reply #438 on: July 08, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »

As usual i went in for an annihilation and came out disappointed. This was akin to the Sam Harris debate where things get a bit bogged down and went nowhere. If you can point out where this "obliteration" occurred please do share, share some time stamps because i didn't see any.

the part where your boy said that magic shrooms prove the existence of god

you're a contrarian idiot if you think Dillahunty didn't do a much better job than Harris

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #439 on: July 08, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
i live with my gf.

try harder.

does she pay rent

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #440 on: July 08, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »

the part where your boy said that magic shrooms prove the existence of god

Only that's not what he said now is it? 
and he makes a point to say that's not what he said. And yet in your little vacuum that's still what you took away from it.

Peterson's whole thing is the connection between how people created meaning through myths, literature , etc and the psychology behind it. Yet, the autistys in here can't seem to get past that and keep doing a circle jerk around it. Like, either realize that's what the dude is about and go into listening to him with that in mind, or just i dunno? ignore him?

The most amusing part is listening to Dillahunty. For all the talk of 101 philosophy, Dillahunty is as base level 101 atheist as it gets. I did enjoy his salt levels though against Sam Harris, you can tell he feels a little cheated that Sam stole his thunder i guess.

agrajag

« Reply #441 on: July 08, 2018, 06:16:03 PM »
 :lol

Assimilate is a philosophy expert now.

TVC15

« Reply #442 on: July 08, 2018, 06:27:43 PM »

You fools are lost, just staring at shadows on the wall—unlike Assimilate, who’s staring at YouTube videos on the laptop screen because he’s illiterate. Y kant Assimilate read??
serge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #443 on: July 08, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
seriously tho does your gf pay rent

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #444 on: July 08, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »

You fools are lost, just staring at shadows on the wall—unlike Assimilate, who’s staring at YouTube videos on the laptop screen because he’s illiterate. Y kant Assimilate read??

Absolutely not but i at least at minimum listen to what is being said. You guys don't even do that. You're so used to hot takes and clickbait that you go for certain cues to run with. You don't actually try to get the point of what is being said.

It's fine if the purpose is to run with some meme jokes and have a laugh but a majority of you are sincerely trying to annihilate the guy and fail miserably.

seriously tho does your gf pay rent
I'm sorry i'm not comfortable answering too many personal questions with benji lurking around
 :batman

agrajag

« Reply #445 on: July 08, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »

dude, actually no. He earnestly used magic mushrooms as evidence of god. Not to interpret myths, or explore shared culture, or whatever excuse you made for him. That was his evidence for god. That was just one example. Unlike you, apparently, I don't enjoy putting myself through the misery of watching Kermit Daddy speak, so unfortunately I will not be giving you timestamps. He meandered and avoided Dillahunty the entire debate, just like you are doing now. But, as has been pointed out, you don't believe in any of Daddy's pseudo-intellectual drivel, you are not a true believer like Etoilet. You just take the contrarian stance to whatever you see as the status quo on the board and get drunk on your weasely sidekick's likes.

Oblivion

« Reply #446 on: July 08, 2018, 07:11:36 PM »
What a plot twist that Assimilate reveals himself to be an obsessive malcontent that hasn't even read any of Peterson's work. It's almost too poetic.

And this is BEFORE he's read any of Peterson's shitty books!

Imagine what Assimilate's final form will look like.  :ohhh

TVC15

« Reply #447 on: July 08, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »

Absolutely not but i at least at minimum listen to what is being said. You guys don't even do that. You're so used to hot takes and clickbait that you go for certain cues to run with. You don't actually try to get the point of what is being said.

Bitch, I’m not pausing my funk music to listen to white people talk modern philosophy. Here, you want a free philosophy lesson, and this is honest and truthful: there hasn’t been a philosopher worth bothering with since, like Russell, Sartre, Popper, maybe Wittgenstein, maybe Camus. Philosophy is a dead and worthless field.

Now go stick a chubby thumb in your non-letter-recognizin’ ass. This forum’s REAL Daddy is going to be getting probed by Dr. Funkenstein while jerking off to his new Artaud reader. Now he’s someone you should be checking out. Sorry, no YouTube vids tho.
serge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #448 on: July 08, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »
Meh it's pretty damn obvious at this point that dude is a dumbass and a crypto fash, stop listening to him/giving him money. :derp

If a smart person throws around the 100 million figure (like the Crank Dad does) they're not crypto.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #449 on: July 08, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »

dude, actually no. He earnestly used magic mushrooms as evidence of god. Not to interpret myths, or explore shared culture, or whatever excuse you made for him. That was his evidence for god. That was just one example. Unlike you, apparently, I don't enjoy putting myself through the misery of watching Kermit Daddy speak, so unfortunately I will not be giving you timestamps. He meandered and avoided Dillahunty the entire debate, just like you are doing now. But, as has been pointed out, you don't believe in any of Daddy's pseudo-intellectual drivel, you are not a true believer like Etoilet. You just take the contrarian stance to whatever you see as the status quo on the board and get drunk on your weasely sidekick's likes.

Bro i just listened to this debate. He didn't avoid anything. It was a pretty crappy debate overall, with Dillahunty just regurgitating the typical 'secular humanist' stance of
-religion is outdated and bad
-our idea of the moral code is changeable and therefore better (even though he misses the point that humans aren't normally reasonable people, but of course and his utopia idea of 'logical thinkers' are)
-you can't prove god therefore there is no god

yada yada yada. like the rest of them they come off "i'm better than you" attitude which Peterson isn't even interested in, because he isn't some fucking bishop taking the bible literally in every regard which is what Dillahunty is used to. He's a texan boy that used to be religious so he's accustomed to having to debate people on that base level.

That's why this thing was dumb.

. Philosophy is a dead and worthless field.

This is basically what Dawkins and Sam Harris used to say. But even Harris has started to change his viewpoint, mainly because of the implications of A.I but anyways.

Oblivion

« Reply #450 on: July 08, 2018, 07:25:08 PM »
Assimilate, if you were thoroughly impressed by Peterson's defense of the "mystical" (in quotes because like with many words, Peterson doesn't use them to mean things in the conventional sense that words mean things) experience with mushrooms, then I'm curious what you think about his argument that it's impossible to be a "true" atheist without murdering people and that all people who claim to be atheists are actually secret Christians?

agrajag

« Reply #451 on: July 08, 2018, 07:27:33 PM »
lol, no one says "you can't prove there is god therefore there is no god," such a mischaracterization shows how out of depth you are

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #452 on: July 08, 2018, 07:38:02 PM »
Assimilate, if you were thoroughly impressed by Peterson's defense of the "mystical" (in quotes because like with many words, Peterson doesn't use them to mean things in the conventional sense that words mean things) experience with mushrooms, then I'm curious what you think about his argument that it's impossible to be a "true" atheist without murdering people and that all people who claim to be atheists are actually secret Christians?
That's a good question Oblivion, rarely do you or anyone ever ask an actual question debated on one of these things.

I don't know what to think about that yet. I can say that before i'd be one to immediately laugh it off as preposterous but Peterson makes a convincing argument.

Because, you know, it's hard to say since i am a product of western culture, and despite me not ever enjoying religion as a kid i did believe in god as a child. So how can i say i'm a true atheist in the sense that Peterson says i'm not? I don't know.

There are no cultures out there without religion or an idea of 'god' as he says 'standing on the shoulders of giants'. There are cultures that have tried to be godless, forcefully, and that didn't go well, we know that. And there's places like Scandinavia that is very secular, but they still come from Christianity and a lot of values and morals were derived from religion.

The problem with Dillahunty's stance is that he thinks people are reasonable and care about his wellbeing. I wouldn't be so sure of that, like Peterson isn't. The argument in that case isn't someone irrationally walking up to him and just chopping his fucking head off just cuz, but if there was a reason for it and it could be justified reasonably outside of his wellbeing would they do it? I think they would.

Does that make sense?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #453 on: July 09, 2018, 12:05:56 AM »

Oblivion

« Reply #454 on: July 09, 2018, 12:09:44 AM »
That's a good question Oblivion, rarely do you or anyone ever ask an actual question debated on one of these things.

I don't know what to think about that yet. I can say that before i'd be one to immediately laugh it off as preposterous but Peterson makes a convincing argument.

Because, you know, it's hard to say since i am a product of western culture, and despite me not ever enjoying religion as a kid i did believe in god as a child. So how can i say i'm a true atheist in the sense that Peterson says i'm not? I don't know.

There are no cultures out there without religion or an idea of 'god' as he says 'standing on the shoulders of giants'. There are cultures that have tried to be godless, forcefully, and that didn't go well, we know that. And there's places like Scandinavia that is very secular, but they still come from Christianity and a lot of values and morals were derived from religion.

The problem with Dillahunty's stance is that he thinks people are reasonable and care about his wellbeing. I wouldn't be so sure of that, like Peterson isn't. The argument in that case isn't someone irrationally walking up to him and just chopping his fucking head off just cuz, but if there was a reason for it and it could be justified reasonably outside of his wellbeing would they do it? I think they would.

Does that make sense?

But the thing is, Christianity didn't come up with the idea of "murdering people is bad". This has been a thing since fricken Hammurabi. Not to mention that Christians have been quite terrible at following their own advice, as the Inquisition, Native American genocides, and hundreds of years of slavery have demonstrated.

agrajag

« Reply #455 on: July 09, 2018, 12:11:24 AM »

agrajag

« Reply #456 on: July 09, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
Much like Peterson's own teachings, if you take out all the goofy esoterics and leave the good stuff, you're left with simple, common-sense platitudes that have existed for millenia, such as "clean your room" and "don't murder people."

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #457 on: July 09, 2018, 12:14:35 AM »

Does that make sense?

But the thing is, Christianity didn't come up with the idea of "murdering people is bad". This has been a thing since fricken Hammurabi. Not to mention that Christians have been quite terrible at following their own advice, as the Inquisition, Native American genocides, and hundreds of years of slavery have demonstrated.
ok? If i understand Peterson correctly, and Christianity in general, it was the first major religion to put the emphasis on the self, and the intrinsic value of ones "soul".

Much like Peterson's own teachings, if you take out all the goofy esoterics and leave the good stuff, you're left with simple, common-sense platitudes that have existed for millenia, such as "clean your room" and "don't murder people."
Even if that were the case, what's the problem? He's made it clear who the book is for.

I hope you don't need someone to say "clean your room", and "walk with your shoulders back" when you're a grown ass man.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:20:02 AM by Assimilate »

agrajag

« Reply #458 on: July 09, 2018, 12:21:39 AM »

I hope you don't need someone to say "clean your room", and "walk with your shoulders back" when you're a grown ass man.

No, but apparently you do.

:neogaf

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #459 on: July 09, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »

:snore
i'm going to sleep. keep trying.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #460 on: July 09, 2018, 12:25:59 AM »
I told you to read this. You can probably skip the first half and not miss anything, even. https://www.academia.edu/20852194/RELIGION_SOVEREIGNTY_NATURAL_RIGHTS_AND_THE_CONSTITUENT_ELEMENTS_OF_EXPERIENCE

Peterson sees the concept of natural rights as arising inevitably from Christian theology, specifically the idea that all people have "sovereignty" under the Christian God, and that this is a continuation of the democratization of classical Egyptian religion, which began as investing divinity only into the pharaohs and then gradually expanded spiritual value to some other classes of society.

There are some very big and very obvious problems with this.

agrajag

« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2018, 12:26:00 AM »

Assimilate:

Quote from: Assimilate

Also Assimilate:

I just purchased the 12 steps audiobook

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #462 on: July 09, 2018, 01:07:21 AM »
lmao

assimos gf's hustle is strong

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #463 on: July 09, 2018, 01:08:12 AM »
Peterson sees the concept of natural rights as arising inevitably from Christian theology, specifically the idea that all people have "sovereignty" under the Christian God, and that this is a continuation of the democratization of classical Egyptian religion, which began as investing divinity only into the pharaohs and then gradually expanded spiritual value to some other classes of society.

For someone who screams about Marxism all the time the Crank Dad sure seems to like his Hegelian dialectic.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #464 on: July 09, 2018, 01:12:37 AM »
who cares. dude is a trick

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #465 on: July 09, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »

As I said in the other thread, it's basically stoicism if you cut out the crap.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #466 on: July 09, 2018, 10:45:00 AM »

Assimilate:

Also Assimilate:

I just purchased the 12 steps audiobook

Harping me to read a Peterson book and then making fun of me for reading a Peterson book?

:stop

agrajag

« Reply #467 on: July 09, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
That man's name?

Etiolate

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #468 on: July 09, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »
I once saw this guy on the bus. Cargo shorts, animu silk-screen shirt, long white socks, sneakers with velcro.

He was reading Atlas Shrugged. A girl sat near him, he kept talking to her about the book, without her wanting him to.

She eventually pushed the stop button, got up, walked towards the front of the bus and sat back down.

I feel like that guy is probably deep in to Peterson.
You'll always get weirdos like that on both sides. It's like the occupy wall street movement, you ended up with a bunch of jobless hippies singing songs and snapping fingers.

agrajag

« Reply #469 on: July 09, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #470 on: July 09, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
...there hasn’t been a philosopher worth bothering with since, like Russell, Sartre, Popper, maybe Wittgenstein, maybe Camus.
youre on record speaking approvingly of Foucault so I know you don’t actually believe this.

ok? If i understand Peterson correctly, and Christianity in general, it was the first major religion to put the emphasis on the self, and the intrinsic value of ones "soul".
”Christianity is essentially a religion of individualism” is a claim that is obviously too broad and sweeping to accurately describe the core of something practiced/believed on six continents for ~2000 years by billions of people, alive (the quick?) and dead. If anything, it’s a common caricature of the type of reformed Presbyterianism that Peterson himself grew up in, that, for my money, he’s projecting across time and space to justify being a cold warrior in the year of our lord 2018.

There’s also no reason we should think Christianity places any more ‘value’ in the soul than either of the other abrahamic religions or the classical or Hellenistic systems of thought that Christianity appropriated from. At least not until ‘value’ is sufficiently defined/analyzed.

For someone who screams about Marxism all the time the Crank Dad sure seems to like his Hegelian dialectic.
he needs reason to work itself out in history (through a Darwinian pruning, just of culture instead of physiology) in order to gripe about all this stored up latent knowledge that’s being trod upon. The end of history gives you a view that’s oddly just as utopian as the not-really-marxists that you’re shadowboxing.

TVC15

« Reply #471 on: July 09, 2018, 04:13:32 PM »
...there hasn’t been a philosopher worth bothering with since, like Russell, Sartre, Popper, maybe Wittgenstein, maybe Camus.
youre on record speaking approvingly of Foucault so I know you don’t actually believe this.

Kinda slipped my mind. The kinda is because although I do like a lot of his stuff, I often question the ultimate value of much of it.

And besides, Assimilate is way too dumb to grok that. He wouldn’t even be able to handle it in YouTube form.
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #472 on: July 09, 2018, 04:55:39 PM »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #473 on: July 09, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »

Kinda slipped my mind. The kinda is because although I do like a lot of his stuff, I often question the ultimate value of much of it.

And besides, Assimilate is way too dumb to grok that. He wouldn’t even be able to handle it in YouTube form.
Crappy ass Foucault? Where you learn in almost every single introductory writing and philosophy class in Univ GTFO You wanna discuss Panopticon next?   :lol

Now that's rich.

Did you even attend college you degenerate depressive?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #474 on: July 09, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Tasty

« Reply #475 on: July 09, 2018, 05:19:58 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #476 on: July 09, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »
There is a reason they teach Foucault in class and not Cranky P.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #477 on: July 09, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
why would you teach Foucault in an introductory writing course? (or even intro to philosophy really? doing the Greeks is hard enough)

Daddy P's beef is with Derrida anyway. Even though Foucault was the Marxist.

agrajag

« Reply #478 on: July 09, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »
I unno, we did Foucault in writing class too

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #479 on: July 09, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
why would you teach Foucault in an introductory writing course?
Daddy P's beef is with Derrida anyway. Even though Foucault was the Marxist.

There is a reason they teach Foucault in class and not Cranky P.
I don't remember why it was taught in writing but it was (if i remember correctly) because funny enough i wrote a paper on Foucault. i think it was based on Panopticon and i applied it to the movie The Matrix  :D  :lol