Author Topic: Laissez-faire Politics Thread - Praxis? I didn't play Deus Ex, sorry.  (Read 226099 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
This is about as bad as when you said Trump was reflexively anti-war.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
thank you kara for being able to wade through the cancer that I posted and still find it in your heart to like the post :dead
每天生气

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
thank you kara for being able to wade through the cancer that I posted and still find it in your heart to like the post :dead

:isthis Is this art?

-me reading that post

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Years of subscribing to that magazine finally paying off. :win
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
This is about as bad as when you said Trump was reflexively anti-war.
And yet the globe is currently at peace in perfect harmony.

Curious.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:16:31 PM by benjipwns »

Kara

You made me click on this thread again for a one word edit that makes your post more obviously reference the webcomic that makes the free speech KKKorner thread mad.

:rage :rage :rage

benjipwns

Those who participate in blatantly Mandarking deserve no safety.

Kara

Likening Mandark to me is so insulting to him that I'm reporting my first post on The Bore.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Likening Mandark to me is so insulting to him that I'm reporting my first post on The Bore.

Ah, yes, the only thing lower than a coward is a snitch.
serge

Kara

At least I'm not a scab. :bolo

benjipwns

I knew that it would always be you who would sic the authorities on me. I don't love you any less. This was how our tragic affair was eventually meant to end.

Mandark

• Icon
I'd rat you all out to the mods, but the only posts I report are my own when they don't get enough likes.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
amphetamines  :rejoice

shosta

So, I was reading John Bellamy Foster's special piece on Late Imperialism because it's been a couple of weeks and that means it's free now on their website (from each according to his ability, amirite??  :-\) and I had A Thought© while I was reading the conclusion that linked the global slowdown and climate catastrophe to the inevitable end of capitalism...

It's interesting to me that there's this recurring theme in Marxism that capitalism is irrefutably, mathematically inclined to collapse on its own, even without democratic pressure. Obviously the first iteration of this is The Tendency of the Rate of Profit to Fall which Marx thought was his magnum opus and proof that global revolution was imminent within a few generations at most, but then it comes back again after the second world war with Mandel repurposing the Soviet "Kondratiev" waves theory to try to cover up why the world experienced post war miracle growth, and finally, today, it's ubiquitous on the left to associate climate change with unfettered capitalism, along with the sometimes stated conclusion that either we will jettison capitalism or the planet will die. Not that I disagree with the last point... but I still think there's this very funny doctrinaire and undying belief that The Death of Capitalism (in theaters this summer) is incoming, on its own accord, because it is designed to fail, to the point where every time concrete predictions do not materialize, it has to be dressed up again as something else which will absolutely happen, they promise. I wonder why some of these writers don't just go with "unequal development will always happen because advantages accumulate" and admit the whole thing can go on forever, which imo is a much more compelling reason to justify structural change etc.

Expounding on that and to continue with the global warming aspect, I kind of want to read some analysis on the obviously imperialistic aspect of the impending climate crisis because it's pretty clear we're not going to die and climate change will mostly affect the global south. The US safeguards its food security with protectionist policy. A warming globe moves the arable land North (droughts will be primarily concentrated in the tropics), water rich areas will still be habitable especially with conglomerates monopolizing advanced silvicultural practices. We're also in an age of rapidly developing biotech, so food and plant resources, while strained, will be completely manageable in North America at least. When people talk about impending conflicts because of droughts and food scarcity that could potentially cost tens of millions of lives, that will almost totally be concentrated in the least developed areas like west africa, pakistan, etc. In essence what this means is that nearly ALL of the costs of developmental leaps and bounds in the economic center built with two centuries of carbon pollution are externalized to a population which received almost none of the benefits. That is an outstanding crime unparalleled in history, especially when those costs will be millions of lives, extinct species, the total reversal of habitability in entire megaregions, etc. And that is what the next 300, 400 years looks like.

that is the opposite of capitalism destroying itself once climate change hits  :doge
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:09:48 PM by shosta »
每天生气

shosta

this reminds me of when Father turned the people of Xerxes into a Philosopher's Stone
每天生气

shosta

I forgot my dumb fucking post is the whole reason this thread was created in the first place :dead
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Kara

I don't plan on ever experiencing paternal pride, but I'm going to go ahead and feel it for my 2 sons rn. :mjcry

Maybe this would have been a better emoticon to use? :juche
[close]

shosta

ok gang, it's time for the group picture

每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
look like a group of vidya journalists with ilhan

benjipwns

you could fit like three of her in that one guy

Kara

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/secret-life-of-the-professor-who-lives-with-nazis

:dead of course this story opens in Orange County, California

mein reich :goty2
[close]

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/secret-life-of-the-professor-who-lives-with-nazis

:dead of course this story opens in Orange County, California

mein reich :goty2
[close]

Hah, of course it's Chapman University. AKA, private Christian College with $35K per semester tuition.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
International Trade Liberalization and Domestic Institutional Reform: Effects of WTO Accession on Chinese Internal Migration Policy

Economic institutions that impede factor mobility become more costly when an economy experiences substantial transitions such as trade liberalization. I study how trade triggers changes
in labor institutions that regulate internal migration in the context of China’s Hukou system.
Using a newly-collected dataset on prefecture-level migration policies, I document an increase
in pro-migrant regulations following WTO entry and estimate the impact of prefecture-level
trade shocks on migration regulations from 2001 to 2007. I find that regions facing more export
market liberalization enacted more migrant-friendly regulations. I also find evidence that these
regulation changes amplified the effects of trade liberalization on internal migration.

i'm bored at work so reading this, feel free to join me http://www.tianyuanecon.com/uploads/1/1/0/7/110705287/submission_yt.pdf

Kara

jakefromstatefarm and benji circa 2015 vindicated. :ussrcry

https://twitter.com/communoah/status/1150233321416396800

Kara

These are the dumb struggle sessions I live for :lawd

Mandark

• Icon
Rewinding to the discussion a few pages ago, is there an article where Amber or whoever lays out the argument for anti-idpol feminism? I've mostly absorbed that whole debate through tweets.

Preemptive: I'm not going to a read a whole-ass book about this so none of you bastards try to make me.

Mandark

• Icon
ahaha I didn't realize it was on Spiked.

I was more wondering if there was an actual essay or two people could point to that would spell out the "serious" version of this argument.

Is Mandark looking for a hate-read that can confirm an opinion he's already formed? Is he pretending to do due diligence so when he inevitably makes a bunch of bitchy posts about the subject they'll carry more weight, like that time he read that godawful Jordan Peterson essay? These questions are left to the reader.
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
ha, when I wrote "don't recommend me a book" it was after deleting "don't recommend me Kill All Normies"

This is reinforcing my smug opinion that anti-idpol stuff is just online podcast feud bullshit, which I like.

curly

• cultural maoist
Rewinding to the discussion a few pages ago, is there an article where Amber or whoever lays out the argument for anti-idpol feminism? I've mostly absorbed that whole debate through tweets.

Preemptive: I'm not going to a read a whole-ass book about this so none of you bastards try to make me.

I was failing to come up with a good answer so I googled "jacobin identity" and it worked

Kara

I'll see if Amber's written an article for the places she's written at, Mandark. She's actually a bit of an (for lack of a better term) Old Bolshevik as far as DSA is concerned and she's from Indiana originally so I'm less inclined to sweep her up with (again for lack of a better term) Berniebros.

curly

• cultural maoist
She was active during Occupy and has described it as a failure of horizontalism which I think explains a lot of how she arrived at her current politics

Mandark

• Icon
*forums poster Mandark, Read Settlers :neogaf

I haven't even watched the last season of Justified yet! C'mon!

Kara

Mandark:

http://bostonreview.net/forum/logic-misogyny/amber-alee-frost-amber-alee-frost-responds-kate-manne

https://newpol.org/men-explain-things-meand-i-hardly-care-review/

https://www.cjr.org/special_report/why-the-left-cant-stand-the-new-york-times.php

These are from her "Dear Prudence" type column (i.e. bite-sized and not that detailed)

https://thebaffler.com/your-sorry-ass/no-wokeness-no-worries-frost

https://thebaffler.com/your-sorry-ass/the-sad-song-of-privilege-frost

If I had to elevator pitch her problem with identity politics, it's the time she quoted Rosa Luxemburg on an episode of Chapo saying, "To the rich woman her problems are the world; to a poor woman the world is her problem." (Pardon any misquoting.)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
Ughbhhhhmfjdndbd akahnwwh Google Angela Nagle and her work.

Example:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190713202700/https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2018/11/the-left-case-against-open-borders/

Zizek has some similar shit takes and is probably more popular. Some of his fans like Crash Dummy would be able to guide you :hitler

stick with me kid, and you too can tie up anyone in lacanian and hegelian metaphysic word games!

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
i resent that, i can appreciate anyone writing about anxiety!

Kara

Found some pics from the ConDem era I'd saved.

jakefromstatefarm

I’m eventually gonna have to make that purchase myself. If you don’t care about used, I think you can grab em all individually for about 70-75, and I’ve seen them drop significantly lower than that too.

benjipwns

I haven't even watched the last season of Justified yet! C'mon!
surviving Sam Elliott's head lean is the real struggle session

that season hurts in so many ways
[close]

benjipwns

Completely off the top of my head without looking them up to be sure:

1. Season 2
2. Season 3
3. "Bulletville"
4. Season 4
5. Season 6
6. Rest of Season 1
7. Season 5

Tripon

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Completely off the top of my head without looking them up to be sure:

1. Season 2
2. Season 3
3. "Bulletville"
4. Season 4
5. Season 6
6. Rest of Season 1
7. Season 5

Super accurate. Pretty much every odd number season is great to mostly great. I don't think I would put 3 that high (is that the one with neal mcodnough villain? it was wild) but it had the hard task of following up the best season. Hard act to follow. Show is great tv all throughout and a really good ending.

We dug coal together
:tocry
[close]
[close]

Tripon

benjipwns

Super accurate. Pretty much every odd number season is great to mostly great. I don't think I would put 3 that high (is that the one with neal mcodnough villain? it was wild) but it had the hard task of following up the best season. Hard act to follow. Show is great tv all throughout and a really good ending.

We dug coal together
:tocry
[close]
[close]
Yeah, season three is Quarles plus the first Limehouse, also the episode where Dewey Crowe had his kidney removed. I liked Quarles coming in as a brutal enforcer but not at all ready for Harlan County as it all starts falling apart.

Season six is just packed with too many plots and characters, even introduces another (Boon) late in the game unnecessarily, when it should have been kept more to just Mary Steenburgen and let Boyd do his thing. Or done the heist instead of the Crowe's the season before. Then done Ava and Boyd for the finale.

Season two had that perfect balance, that perfect villain, perfect Boyd getting involved almost unintentionally. But all the seasons were great. Lots of memorable moments even with the smaller characters, season four moves up for me because it's got a lot of clever ones, Raylan and Winonia in the baby room, when Tim realizes it's a sniper trap and they circle the wagons, the whole High School misdirect.

Show theme was too good :lawd

benjipwns

In the deep, dark hills of eastern Kentucky
That's the place where I trace my bloodline
And it's there I read on a hillside gravestone
"You will never leave Harlan alive"

Well my grandad's dad walked down Katahrin's Mountain
And he asked Tillie Helton to be his bride
He said, "Won't you walk with me out of the mouth of this holler
Or we'll never leave Harlan alive"

Where the sun comes up about ten in the morning
And the sun goes down about three in the day
And you fill your cup with whatever bitter brew your drinking
And you spend your life just thinking how to get away

No one ever knew there was coal in them mountains
Til a man from the northeast arrived
Waving hundred dollar bills, he said "I'll pay you for your minerals"
But he never left Harlan alive

Well Granny, she sold out cheap and they moved out west to Pineville
To a farm where Big Richland River winds
And I'll bet they danced them a jig, and they laughed and sang a new song
"Who said we'd never leave Harlan alive?"

But the times, they got hard and tobacco wasn't selling
And old Granddad knew what he'd do to survive
He went and dug for Harlan coal and sent the money back to Granny
But he never left Harlan alive

:isthis

Kara

Kara

Me wondering if I want to spend 85 on the entire Buttigieg Prison Notebooks set ....

I have a clipped version with selections but it's ehhhh

(Image removed from quote.)

I know I have to get back to this... :six:
[close]

Oblivion

it was really nice and considerate of the magazine funded by the koch bros. to give amber and anna a platform to help spread their marxist take on feminism  :clap

Oblivion

Him getting banned at the same time as Assimilate was like when Farrah Fawcett died on the same day as Michael Jackson.

i'm aware this transpired, but i was off the bore when this happened. can someone fill me in on the deets?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Him getting banned at the same time as Assimilate was like when Farrah Fawcett died on the same day as Michael Jackson.

i'm aware this transpired, but i was off the bore when this happened. can someone fill me in on the deets?

Assy McGee and Floptimus were garbage posters so I perm'd them even though bork said not to.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Oh? :ryker
That's an interesting detail.

Kara

:dead Andrew Yang went on Chapo

What world is this. :lucas

shosta

Did Will say we should just make automation illegal like he did the first time they talked about Yang
每天生气

Oblivion

Assy McGee and Floptimus were garbage posters so I perm'd them even though bork said not to.

:o

the dial of ideas just got set to the 'low' position

:bow authoritarian leftism :bow2

Oblivion

A heuristic I've found useful is when someone says the left/liberals/Dems should make concessions and meet the people where they are on issue X, that person probably doesn't care about issue X or lowkey agrees with the right wing position on issue X.

Our own Optimus (pbuh) said the left needed to drop the PC bullshit because it turned off voters, then gradually revealed that he had Some Thoughts on Muslim immigration, racial IQ gaps, false rape accusations, etc.
https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1147403313047953409

:pika

team filler

• filler
  • filler

:pacspit :fbm :tocry