Author Topic: Google Stadia: Electric Snoopaloo Sayga Bleemcast 2  (Read 82906 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: Google Stadia: Electric Snoopaloo Sayga Bleemcast 2
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2019, 02:22:48 AM »
riotous out here hammering us with his internet privilege

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/04/08/microsoft-executive-rubbishes-google-gaming-push/

MS are obviously feeling threatened by this existentially, because its a stupid-ass comment to make that they 'have the content' (content limited only to games playable on specifically Xbox One hardware natively, or that has been specifically patched for backwards compatibility) and Google are 'limited' to literally any game that runs on a linux based server via any method (natively, VMWare, Emulation) that they can sign a usage agreement with a publisher for.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »
Are you really doubling down on WELL if SONY can't do it then NOONE can!
 :donot

kingv

« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
My expectations would be something sort of like game pass in terms of what it has but more expensive

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
def the future of gaming. but still requires a lot of improvement in end users "last line" infrastructure quality to be properly viable for an impactful mainstream market; Project Stream required stable 25Mbps for 1080/60, google say they "dramatically improved this" for 1080p/60fps - but 4k will push this req back up to 30Mbps. sooo, google haven't achieved anything nvidia hasn't also done with geforce now (except hype, and a lot of talk). and seems it will only really be viable in markets (and accessible at least for a few more years) with first worlders who already have access to enough disposable income for whatever gaming experience they want.

that said,  if they start getting support embedded in everything, you can still get a serviceable experience on say 10Mbps i can see something like a new 1000 player gimmick battle royale making this a relatively big thing fairly quick. kinda surprised they're just plonking down a standard twin stick controller instead of trying some wii like innovation, seems like such a perfect casual device, but they're going for IP like Doom? not sure Googles on the mark here, but a fine start.
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »

Launch deets Thursday at noon.

Bad timing with the outage Sunday though. :doge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
2019 .. 9 - 1 - 2 = 6
6.6.6 you ain't slick guugle

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »
Are people legitimately excited for this thing?
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2019, 06:31:05 PM »
I'm curious. What's the harm in trying.

naff

« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
i cant imagine it being any good. have y'all ever tried steam link for instance? even that, over a wired gigabit connection, feels sloppy. there was all this talk earlier in the thread about input latency from wireless controllers and other input adds to the latency too, and casuls won't care. maaaybe, but this is orders of magnitude worse than any other input delay. it's going to have to be some wild voodoo magic to work to a point where anyone used to regular gaming will enjoy it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:40:10 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
I'm always excited about new technology. The potential is big but I think it is just a tad too early for this sort of thing to take off.

The controller lag for cloud based systems will probably be solved by Nintendo. No joke, they've always had a weird obsession of moving the controller technically as far away from the actual console as possible.
🤴

naff

« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2019, 06:43:43 PM »
The controller lag for cloud based systems will probably be solved by Nintendo. No joke, they've always had a weird obsession of moving the controller technically as far away from the actual console as possible.

:huh

:nintendo

can guarantee you this will not be the case
◕‿◕

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #252 on: June 03, 2019, 06:49:50 PM »
The controller lag was 'solved' by Stadia. Their own controller talks to the server directly. That won't help much with network delay, but I don't know what else anyone could possibly do.

naff

« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2019, 06:53:07 PM »
well, it doesn't talk to the server directly. it just connects to your wifi cutting out one small thing in a long chain of things - the device you're playing on  :doge
◕‿◕

Coax

« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:53 PM »
After watching the GDC talk by an id dev about how they adapted Doom 2016 for Stadia it has me more open minded, since it wasn't just taking the game as-is and streaming it. According to one of the higher ups who played an earlier iteration without knowing the setup it 'felt like you hadn't enabled game mode on the TV', while in later tests they set up blind AB test booths in the office to gauge perceived differences from general employees and are said to have improved it.

That said those are in ideal conditions so I'm more interested how it fares for users with less than perfect connections.

naff

« Reply #255 on: June 03, 2019, 11:28:10 PM »
ideal conditions part is so key though. at gdc their setup had ~200ms latency with the highest end professional networking. did they ever say where they were streaming from? proves how the tech will work in the wild as much as bullshots show you how a game will look.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #256 on: June 03, 2019, 11:35:02 PM »
that ideal conditions latency is ~what i've got with steam link. didn't feel good in anything fast. felt fine playing X-Com.

assuming if they developed doom specifically for the platform and it felt good there are content caching tricks they can use to make it feel more like a regular experience.
◕‿◕

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #257 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:18 PM »
I don't want this to succeed, but I'm starting to have doubts that it'll faceplant. :goty2

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2019, 01:36:11 AM »
ideally we should all go squat at riotous' place and abuse his wifi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
I don't want this to succeed, but I'm starting to have doubts that it'll faceplant. :goty2

Yeah, not too happy about the idea that the future of games is a combination of the worst of console gaming [closed ecosystem, no modding] with the worst of digital gaming [you don't actually own the game and it can go away at any time].
dog

Tasty

« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »

Yeah, not too happy about the idea that the future of games is a combination of the worst of console gaming [closed ecosystem, no modding] with the worst of digital gaming [you don't actually own the game and it can go away at any time].

I bet you still buy CD's too grandpa.

kingv

« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »

I think it will go full Google+ theoretically exists for some time, but is kind of irrelevant.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »

I still buy casettes  8)
No joke.

https://www.discogs.com/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9MACROSS-82-99-A-Million-Miles-Away/release/10556141

naff

« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »
that ideal conditions latency is ~what i've got with steam link. didn't feel good in anything fast. felt fine playing X-Com.

assuming if they developed doom specifically for the platform and it felt good there are content caching tricks they can use to make it feel more like a regular experience.

Wut

Content caching tricks?

It’s a pure streaming service, what caching is it going to do?

Yeah, idk.

As a game developed specifically for the platform, I was imagining some sort of tech that allows them to cache common static resources client side (say textures). But of course, that would require rendering on the client as well. I make websites. This gaming stuff is confuse man.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »
So, my basic googling only revealed they never gave any indication of where it was streaming from.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/google-stadias-first-hands-on-demo-washes-some-key-details-down-the-stream/

The important caveat here, of course, is that the demo was running on a wired Ethernet connection hooked to the Moscone Center's industrial-strength Internet hookup. The demo team couldn't confirm the location for the Google data center where the game was actually running, but we can't imagine it would be very far from the heart of San Francisco, where the demo was being played.
◕‿◕

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
Yeah, idk.

As a game developed specifically for the platform, I was imagining some sort of tech that allows them to cache common static resources client side (say textures). But of course, that would require rendering on the client as well. I make websites. This gaming stuff is confuse man.

Its just a video stream, I don't know what you could cache or what benefit it would bring.
Like... maybe the static parts of the UI? The difference in bitrate between a video excluding that and that burned in is completely negligible.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
The GDC talk Coax was talking about:

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #267 on: June 06, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
Looks like Destiny 2 going F2P and heading to Stadia got leaked.
MMO type games where everythings server side anyway are the best possible fit for this, so it'll be interesting to see how well it works.

Svejk

« Reply #268 on: June 06, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »
Screw Destiny.  Where's that full-on Warframe crossplay?

Svejk

« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
Some more apparent leaks/rumors...

- Launch in November in 14 countries (including Canada)
- You can preorder the "founder's edition" of Stadia for 169$ today, which includes the gamepad, a Chromecast Ultra (which is 6cm in length), Destiny 2 and three months of subscription
- Stadia works through a subscription only at first. The Stadia Pro sub costs 11.99$ per month and will include streaming up to 4K/60fps. Note that only "older" games will be included in this sub, and more recent games will have to be bought separately.
- A separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.
- 10mbps in download/1mbp in upload is the minimal requirement, with 35mbps required for 4K "optimal comfort".
- You'll need the Chromecast for Stadia to work at launch, but it's planned to work through any Google device with Google Chrome in 2020.
- Games planned include Destiny 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Divison 2, DOOM, all three Tomb Raider games.
- Line-up will have 31 games at launch.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:13:08 AM by Svejk »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2019, 12:11:28 PM »
Yes. Go with the Onlive business model. :ryker

Tasty

« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
*$10/month, ability to buy games at full price, and only a 10 Mbps download requirement... yeah I can see this taking off. :thinking

Just have to keep the third party support going, which has been historically extremely difficult to do.

I mean, of course you'll need to buy games on top of a sub that comes w/ Netflix style old-as-fuck content.

1080p for free eventually is kinda slick;  but IMO google are dumb.. someone can buy one game they play endlessly for months and probably be a total loss for Google.

The free tier will probably have as many or more ads compared to the free tier of YouTube.

Edit- Misread the post.

Google probably has the data around how long people play a game after they buy it; sure, there's always going to be extreme outliers, but they've probably built that into the cost model.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:37:18 PM by Tasty Meat »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »
so if i already have a chromecast ultra and xbox/ps4 controllers am i good to go on this? i'd be willing to try some shit for free but i'm not gonna drop $130 on a controller

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
Today, Google also announced its "first wave" of Stadia launch titles. These are: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Doom Eternal, Doom (2016), Rage 2, The Elder Scrolls Online, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Destiny 2, Get Packed, Grid, Metro Exodus, Thumper, Farming Simulator 19, Baldur's Gate 3, Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, Football Manager, Samurai Shodown, Final Fantasy XV, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, NBA 2K, Borderlands 3, Gylt, Mortal Kombat 11, Darksiders Genesis, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Just Dance, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Trials Rising, and The Crew 2.

Destiny 2 will come with the base game, all previous add-ons, the new Shadowkeep expansion and the annual pass.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/06/google-stadia-pro-founders-edition-price/

Seems like a good list of games to start. I'm curious how the fighting games will feel. Too bad I probably won't be able to use my Hori PS4 pad on MK

Tasty

« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
More generically:  "companies know stuff" only gets you so far with brand new business models.  Nobody really knows if even at these prices this business model will really work.  If it fails to take off, either to lack of consumer interest or lack of profitability, it wouldn't be the first "this tech is the future" to fail and it wouldn't be the last.

OK. Your statement was "Google are dumb."

I disagree. :idont

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »
So it's gaming netflix. You up for another $10 a month sub? :doge
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »
I just cancelled normal Netflix since there's fuckall on there anymore, so sure why not :doge

If this gets Monster Hunter World somehow, it's a fucking done deal. And also a done deal on me having to get a PS4. :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2019, 03:24:42 PM »
Is it though

seems you have to pay for new games

seems like a crappy service

What

Svejk

« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2019, 03:43:02 PM »
Man I hope this flops..  Fuck that noise.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2019, 03:43:18 PM »
Except if I'm looking at this right, by next year its going to be a $130 device with no additional subscription fees, and what looks like decent third party support (everyone except EA)

up against $500 all new boxes from Sony and MS, with the same third party support, and there's no reason to expect stadia games are going to look or perform any worse than those new boxes do, and without any online fees; if you want the 'AAA humble bundle' for $10 a month that seems optional.

e:
Like... "This is only $130, and the games look just as good, and play just as well" is a pretty strong value for money preposition.

Tasty

« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
Is it though

seems you have to pay for new games

seems like a crappy service

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh no you have to buy games? :o

What a concept
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:02:44 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
Man I hope this flops..  Fuck that noise.

Yeah choice sucks.

Core gamers are some of the jumpiest fuckers ever despite the industry continuing to grow YoY...

"Oh no Wii will kill gaming!"

"Oh no Facebook will kill gaming!"

"Oh no mobile will kill gaming!"

"Oh no the cloud will kill gaming!"

Chill. PCs and consoles have proven their resiliency as gaming platforms. If you want to talk about how potential exclusives are terrible for consumers, that's an entirely different conversation and not one exclusive to Stadia. The reality of the matter is that Stadia doesn't even address a large portion of the market right now and probably won't be able to for years.

Tasty

« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
Except if I'm looking at this right, by next year its going to be a $130 device with no additional subscription fees, and what looks like decent third party support (everyone except EA)
(Image removed from quote.)
up against $500 all new boxes from Sony and MS, with the same third party support, and there's no reason to expect stadia games are going to look or perform any worse than those new boxes do, and without any online fees; if you want the 'AAA humble bundle' for $10 a month that seems optional.

e:
Like... "This is only $130, and the games look just as good, and play just as well" is a pretty strong value for money preposition.

It's also possible users don't even have to pay, if they're prepared for a degraded experience. You can use any first-party controller with Stadia on desktop Chrome, add in the free tier and yeah, the value proposition is definitely there.

Svejk

« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2019, 04:15:17 PM »
Price point seems ok..... If you got a solid internet connection and are ready to be bombarded with advertisements a la youtube, sure...

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2019, 04:34:26 PM »
:confused

Where are you getting bombarded with ads from?
Have you ever bought a movie or TV show off of the Play store?
Were you bombarded with ads that you don't get on the DVD / BluRay version? Was the movie noticably downgraded because you weren't running it through a physical box doing the decoding locally?

I'm really not sure you guys get what this is trying to do.
You buy a game off the store. You play it. Its trying to replicate the same experience as movies and music have.

e: I'll concede 'priority queues' might be a thing if its oversubscribed, or at peak times.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2019, 04:53:32 PM »
Oh no you have to buy games? :o

What a concept
Xbox Game Pass wins again :rejoice

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2019, 04:57:38 PM »
I have a Chromecast Ultra so if they offer a free month or two to the collection at some point I'll check it out but Destiny 2 for free (is that the free game?) isn't too appealing..

Svejk

« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »

Where are you getting bombarded with ads from?
Have you ever bought a movie or TV show off of the Play store?

Just wait for the free model...  Ever get a 'free' game off the Play store?  :gurl

Nuitangg

« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »
Stanning for Stadia  :heh

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »
There's massive cost differences between streaming a video and rendering games and streaming them.

Perhaps they plan on making up that difference simply because they will make ~$20 or so off of a game sale, but then again people also play games for WAY LONGER than they play a video they buy. 

So it's quite possible they'll make you watch advertisements;  if not to make up costs but to provide a greater value to the paid sub. 

I'm only saying it's a possibility;  unless they specifically said it wouldn't be ad supported you can't expect it not to be.  I imagine the "comes next year" aspect might literally be to make decisions like that, partly based on the actual costs associated with the users of the paid subs. 

You seem to have missed the part where the "paid sub" isn't even a "humble bundle" at launch but "one free game" and higher resolution / surround sound.  They aren't just charging you because of game licenses, they are charging you because of the massive costs of game streaming relative to other web based services.

Its Destiny 2 + what looks like all the expansion packs (including the unreleased one) as the 'free' game at launch, but it also says its going to be regularly adding older games to the service, exactly like PSN / XBL / Humble monthly do. And I don't think its a stretch to assume a chunk of those 'free' games will be indie titles that don't need a GPU, so can be run on pretty much any VM, not one of their gaming specific bad boys.

The $10 monthly is primarily for people who want 4K HDR streams, AFAICS, and people who want 4K streams are already paying a premium for that on regular video steaming services, so I don't think thats exactly a value deal breaker either.

I don't even think they need to 'ad support' F2P titles; most F2P games have moved to a high engagement, regular low cost purchase model, which they'd get a presumably 30% cut on for every lootcrate / skin / exp booster purchased. Its not like 10 years ago when it was 'big payment' purchases targetting the 1-2% 'whale' userbase.

e: I assume its Destiny 2 as their 'big name' because Destiny 2 on Pc is a huge fucking flop and :no1curr so they got a great deal to try and push it

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2019, 06:09:32 PM »
Stadia looks like one of those Google products without focus.

It is subscription based but you still have to buy games seperately so it is not Netflix for games.
The performance is good but it takes up 1TB of data for 65 hours of gameplay. Which seems rather inefficient.
It will work on a variety devices but at first only on Chrome Cast Ultra.
Designed will all this extra power (for next gen) but launches with the same games already available on other platforms.

Let's see what MS brings to the table with XCloud.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2019, 06:28:31 PM »
This is what we need. Use 1TB of data streaming Fez.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2019, 07:22:05 PM »
It's Destiny 2 "The Collection";  which I imagine is at least the first few DLCs.

i'm dumb, its in the article i posted and quoted :lol

Destiny 2 will come with the base game, all previous add-ons, the new Shadowkeep expansion and the annual pass.

also Nintex, "subscription based but you still have to buy games" is called playing online on a console these days. :lol MS even has an XBL+Game Pass subscription which sounds like the same shit but is more expensive (most likely because Game Pass has a lot more games in the catalog).

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2019, 10:23:05 PM »

I still buy casettes  8)
No joke.

https://www.discogs.com/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9MACROSS-82-99-A-Million-Miles-Away/release/10556141

That album is fuckin dope dawg

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2019, 10:41:22 PM »
This is what we need. Use 1TB of data streaming Fez.

I weep for the people who have monthly data caps.
dog

naff

« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2019, 10:43:50 PM »
1TB for 65 hours of gameplay actually seems pretty decent
◕‿◕

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2019, 12:08:23 AM »
This thing is DOA.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2019, 01:28:27 AM »
Google Stadia Game Streaming Takes 110 Hours to Use 1TB of Data
This figure suggests that 1080p60 Google Stadia game streaming will have data usage of approximately 9GB per hour
Get the absolute fuck out of here with this shit lul

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »
Designed will all this extra power (for next gen) but launches with the same games already available on other platforms.

You were expecting AAA third party Stadia exclusives?
PS5 and Xbox Too are going to be launching with a mostly "also available on PS4 / X1 / PC / Stadia" lineup outside of any platform owner exclusives too

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2019, 08:34:10 AM »