Poll

When will Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time be released?

3 (23.1%)
Before 2029
3 (23.1%)
Maybe Next Decade
5 (38.5%)
Never
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: You know, Shinji, we really are the End of Evangelion.  (Read 75671 times)

Tasty

Re: Great news, Glen! Evangelion is available on Netflix now!
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:55 PM »
Eva is available to the masses :rejoice

What a Beautiful World :rejoice

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelion:_3.0%2B1.0

Holy shit Gainax isn’t even making this?

Just pull the plug on Gainax. I heard about fooly Cooly sequels not being Gainax but even evangelion is out? RIP.

Can’t believe Gainax went from classics like otaku no video, Nadia, evangelion, flcl to basically being awol. They never release too much and spread themselves thin like Gonzo either. Wtf happen

Gainax didn't make any of the Rebuild movies, that was all Studio Khara [which ones the rights to Eva through its founder, Hideki Anno]. Gainax is pretty much dead and has been for a nearly a decade.

Brain-drain killed them. Anno left and took people with him to form Khara, Imaishi left and took people with him to form Trigger. They've barely got anybody left to make the kinds of shows that they used to.

I think they're still credited on those Rebuild movies but Khara is where it is at as far as artistic direction goes.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »
Lmao if you told me twenty years ago that:

Gainax was basically dead...

Gonzo was dead...

ADV was dead...

And that Funimation, the company EVERYONE HATED almost as much as people hate 4kids now, was the top anime publisher I wouldn’t have believed you.
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »
Rebuilds suck anyway no1curr about them. I'll be there day one for 3.0 + 1.0 or whatever though.

Tasty

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2019, 02:20:06 PM »
4kids is dead too btw.

From its ashes came 4K Media, which basically just does Yugioh dubbing for Konami.

Edit- Apparently 4K Media itself died and/or was transformed into "Konami Cross Media NY." Still probably mostly ex-4kids people though.

Himu

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »
4kids is dead too btw.

There truly is justice on this planet.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2019, 02:22:48 PM »
Rebuilds suck anyway no1curr about them. I'll be there day one for 3.0 + 1.0 or whatever though.

3.0 isn't a rebuild?

Leave it to Evangelion to make a reboot confusing as fuck.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »
Funimation was always good by me... The DBZ dub was rough at first but came into its own, and I'm all for preserving the original creator's vision but I also unashamedly love the Faulconer score. And Schemmel is a better Goku than some old grandma.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

And ever since about the mid-2000s, around when they realized there was a market for "unaltered" dubs that just localized the dialog to English, they've been really good. And the other dubbing companies either died around this time or were absorbed, to the point I consider Funimation just the default dubbers for pretty much anything, and their distribution has been great enough (TV/Toonami, home video, streaming) that I actively hope they land certain dubs.

I hated 4kids much more, but I will say I prefer the original Pokemon cast. Probably nostalgia, and it's not like I watch the show these days anyways.

thetylerrob

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2019, 02:26:23 PM »

3.0 isn't a rebuild?

Leave it to Evangelion to make a reboot confusing as fuck.
3.0 is a rebuild and the next rebuild is called 3.0 + 1.0. So yeah it's confusing as fuck.

Tasty

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
Having started learning sheet music, the Japanese title for 3.0 + 1.0 adds enough context that it makes sense to me (it includes the musical "repeat" sign.) Full title:

シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版: ||
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:33:47 PM by Tasty Meat »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2019, 02:28:06 PM »

:lol "it's actually N years in the future but our Eva units make us look like early puberty teenage girls still" :doge

Himu

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »
The problem with Funimation is we were watching Ocean dub with kickass voices and music, and then, all of a sudden, in the middle of the series, the voices changed, the direction changed, and we got shitty music in the show. There are few words to express how BAD the new DBZ dub was. It was a massive deal when Funimation put out the first tape of the new episodes - the first new DBZ episodes available in english in a FULL YEAR. I still have those tapes. And then, when you put in the tape it was with a completely new cast and direction.

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
:nope Hate on Eva but recommend Rahxephon

:ohyeah Hate on Eva but recommend Martian Successor Nadesico
dog

thetylerrob

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »

:lol "it's actually N years in the future but our Eva units make us look like early puberty teenage girls still" :doge
"That's the curse of evangelion"

Himu

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
:nope Hate on Eva but recommend Rahxephon

:ohyeah Hate on Eva but recommend Martian Successor Nadesico

Gekigangar :rejoice

Nadesico also has a weird ass ending iirc. With a weird ass movie.

I'm a Gundam fan tho. :ohyeah
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2019, 02:37:59 PM »
In any case I haven’t seen Evangelion since EoE. I haven’t seen any of the 2.0 shit. What’s the point of it and why are they taking so long finishing it?

From the outside it seems the "Rebuild" films (not the official termilonology but fuck it it's the most concise way to name them) started as a cash grab. The franchise was as popular than ever and Gainax needed the dough pretty bad IIRC. The first film is basically the first quarter or third of the series with a condensed plot, higher production value and one new shoehorned character to throw a wrench and sell figurines (maybe introduced in the second, I don't remember exactly). But after that Anno and the creative team probably felt they had an opportunity and financing to do something fun instead of just xeroxing the series. The second film start deviating more and more as it goes along then suddenly accelerate the pace by its conclusion. 3.0 or 3.3 or Q whatever is basically a completely new plot. It's pretty clear Tsurumaki (who was a big name on FLCL and Diebuster) directed a lot of it and it's really fresh to have his visual flair and a completely bonkers plot in Eva.

As to why it's taking so long to finish : Anno has other commitments with live action films (his Godzilla reboot was quite a success) and it's pretty clear they're writing all this on the fly and have no idea where they are going exactly. The few interviews I've read (including some discussion on the new character, Mari) are pretty candid about that.

Evangelion 3.0/3.3/Q might legitimately be the best thing the franchise gave us so...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:42:12 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2019, 02:39:23 PM »
Nadesico also has a weird ass ending iirc. With a weird ass movie.

ANN has a pretty good write-up on that. Basically, there was a Sega Saturn game released at the same time that acted as a bridge between the series and the movie, and they were likely laying ground to continue the franchise after the movie [which didn't happen due to a pretty negative response at the time]:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-12-19/deciphering-nadesico-prince-of-darkness-20-years-later/.141030
dog

Himu

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2019, 02:41:24 PM »
Basically, there was a Sega Saturn game released at the same time that acted as a bridge between the series and the movie

lmao WHAT :lol :dead
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
I'm fucking DYING, man.

Exec: We need a way to bridge the gap between Nadesico tv and the movie.

Exec 2: Hey, let's make a Sega Saturn game!

It just screams mid-90's "let's spend on experimental projects that could very well bomb but we don't give a fuck" era of Japan :lol

It's so beautiful. And of course, fucking Sega is involved. :lol
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2019, 02:45:32 PM »
I mean I'm pretty certain Evangelion had a lot of non-minor canon details (including a whole plot of precursor aliens behind the Angels or somesuch) gated in a videogame (Girlfriend of Steel ?).

Yeah the overarching cosmic plot is a lot of window dressing to the actual drama when you start looking at it not as an excited when but it was a pretty big deal.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »
I mean I'm pretty certain Evangelion had a lot of canon massive details (including a whole plot of precursor aliens behind the Angels or somesuch) gated in a videogame (Girlfriend of Steel ?).

Yeah the overarching cosmic plot is a lot of window dressing to the actual drama when you start looking at it not as an excited when but it was a pretty big deal.

I thought the Eva game was extra. Like its own thing.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »
I mean I'm pretty certain Evangelion had a lot of canon massive details (including a whole plot of precursor aliens behind the Angels or somesuch) gated in a videogame (Girlfriend of Steel ?).

I thought the Eva game was extra. Like its own thing.

It was the "Neon Genesis Evangelion 2" game to be exact, see details below :

https://wiki.evageeks.org/First_Ancestral_Race

The article make it sound more like it was fleshed out from a concept or world building that never made it to the series proper, not the ultimate key to understanding Eva gibberish but considering some of the wild fanwank I read over the years, some fans definitely took it as such.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2019, 03:00:50 PM »
I mean I'm pretty certain Evangelion had a lot of non-minor canon details (including a whole plot of precursor aliens behind the Angels or somesuch) gated in a videogame (Girlfriend of Steel ?).

Evangelion 2 on PS2 is considered the first/only source for much of the entire original series backstory.

What's neat reading up on all it however is how much the fans had guessed correctly long before it released, but had given different names (as you would expect.)

The series and movies are definitely, obviously made "on the fly" but I have to be impressed at the overall consistency to the series' mythology given that.

How much of the mythology and plot were done ad hoc isn't really relevant; the fact that Anno was able to "fill in the cracks" so to speak with the PS2 game so definitively and in such a neat package speaks to a level of detail-oriented genius. Put another way, lesser writers may have felt "written into a corner." But not Anno, he tried (eventually) explaining (some) stuff anyways.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2019, 03:06:56 PM »
best song with moon in it, sung by totally not Yoko Kanno  :putin

PU35fJNtxp8
She's notorious for showing up incognito at con karaoke events apparently. :bow
Hi

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2019, 03:14:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/Chuss_Ka/status/1142141577449619457

Everyone knows only god can bestow grace anyway and Kaworu is a freaking ANGEL. ::)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2019, 03:17:19 PM »
Also just realized these ain't even the same VAs as the Rebuild movies... who's going to voice who in the 3.0+1.0 dub?? :thinking

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »
:yeshrug
Maybe, I guess. Though it's pretty obvious they changed things probably mid-production of the series (The Adam-Lilith mix up)... And I don't if I must be impressed with fans guessing about precursor aliens, it's one of the two or three only possibilities that come to mind (with "Gaia is revolting / Force of Nature", etc..), especially with all the pseudo DNA science in the show.

But the mythos is really the less important part of the series anyway...
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »
But the mythos is really the less important part of the series anyway...

Agreed! And that's the case for 3.0, I feel.

Doesn't make a lick of sense (yet), but nails the emotional stuff (in particular, putting the viewer in Shinji's shoes.)

Tasty

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »
Why would anyone waste time with this when there are far better mecha shows, like Gurren Laggan or Code Geass?

But I already watched those shows

eleuin

• perennial loser

Himu

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2019, 03:39:55 PM »
Why would anyone waste time with this when there are far better mecha shows, like Gurren Laggan or Code Geass?

:kobeyuck
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2019, 03:40:00 PM »
I watched six episodes of Gurren Laggan, didn't like it one bit. Always feel left out with how much people hype the show up.

It's super bad. Doesn't even have a penguin who lives in a refrigerator.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
Evangelion > Pizza Hut: The Anime
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2019, 03:45:39 PM »
They're close.

每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »
It's super bad. Doesn't even have a penguin who lives in a refrigerator.
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2019, 03:54:39 PM »
Misato :noah

Himu

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/suzaluIu/status/1142130533599629314

Don't japanese bath in hot tubs together all the time?

What kind of weeb would make this tweet? He should delete it now tbh.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »
Misato :noah
A forecefully familiar, functional alcoholic who twists your arm when you're being a baby.  :noah

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The father-mother that was always missing in my life.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2019, 04:05:27 PM »

It's a reference, like most memes.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2019, 04:19:04 PM »

I don't know about actual Japanese people but anime characters certainly do.
Though there's often some sexual tension shenanigans intertwined.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »
Gurrenn Lagann is a bit of a slow burn in my memories. It finds its stride when you realize it keeps ramping up and up and up without ever halting. It is more overt of a fantasy tale than Gunbuster / Eva, the science fiction wrapping is light, only shows up late and I could imagine that would be a problem to some.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

thetylerrob

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
I don't think his loli defending has anything to do with the quality of his translation work but I also kinda liked the original translation better.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2019, 06:54:59 PM »
Is this the original or the remake?

By remake do you mean the reedited episodes that were in the anniversary boxset or... ?

Well it’s not. It’s a great show.

I'm a big Eva slut but I'm not sure I would call it a great show, objectively. There's a lot there and it's an important one, to be sure. The animation and drawing style are not among the best or most distinctive, budget cutting is pretty obvious at points. The story and tone goes off the rails somewhere after the midway point. The mecha/kaiju/1960-1970 homage & super cool SF visuals of that fortress city of the first half of the series has always been a joy in rewatch : it's light, it's spot on, it has just the right amount of weird ideas, playful grandiloquence and genre perversions Gainax excels at. Once everything (both in the story and actual show production) start going into that abyss of despair, it's really hit-and-miss in execution no matter how thought-provoking, subversive and intellectually interesting it can be. It's not the best thing Gainax did, it's maybe not even their best TV show.

Now, granted, the series turning dysfunctional and mad is what makes it so distinctive and a memorable flawed jewel instead of a serviceable above average show. But it's maybe not for everyone. And that TV ending... It's a wee bit shite in hindsight. Not-writing-death-threats-to-the-creator shite (well nothing is, really, but you get the point) bit it's pretty obvious it's the botched result of a team that wrote itself in a corner while running out of steam and money. I'm not in any way spiteful about it, failure is part of creation and it's what makes Evangelion what it is but I think fans tend to have a pretty heavy rose tinted pair of glasses to be able to see it and think it's a writing master plan imbued with philosophical wisdoms for the ages.

End of Evangelion is a great film however.
I don't think the roughness of Evangelion excludes it from greatness. If anything to me that roughness is what separates the show from most anime. That roughness is what makes the show have personality and feel like more then a simple commercial product. Of which it is and for sure has become, but I watch Evangelion every so often. That last time I watched it was when the blu ray rips came out and it was amazing. But I was also surprised like I have been before that the first half is also great. Now as a teen I liked the 2nd half because oh that's where it gets weird. People often see the first half as "oh just typical mecha" and it is. It has it's monster of the week crap, but even the first half the characterization is strong. I'm not going to use the lame word of "deconstruction", but it does read like a show crated by people who grew up with mecha anime and are playing with the conventions and thinking to themselves "man it would actually suck to be the teen forced to pilot this crap by the mad scientist father" and from there you have characters like Misato and so on that feel real and have actual relatable problems. It's one of the few anime that to me has actual characters with actual adult issues. Now don't get me wrong, it's still a geeky pop culture show about robots, but there's lots of nuance and good storytelling in the show. People get lost in the symbolism and what does it all mean and that stuff is all shallow bullshit. Meant to be stage dressing for the themes the concepts allow the show to explore. The Human Completion project is whatever, but not what the themes it conveys are. It's a show about people unable to be close to each other, because getting close is really hard.  I don't know, every time I watch it I think it's anime honestly above other anime. You see shows try to do the Rei and Asuka shit, but they are not waifus in Eva. Yeah they were marketed as such after the fact, but Rei is creepy. Shinji is drawn to her for weird reasons. It's not romantic, he's kind of jealous and also weirded out by her. You are not supposed to want to fuck Asuka, she is a messed up girl. Misato is a character constantly worried if she's trash or not, this is'nt attractive.

And beyond that the show is pretty well directed. Most of the Eva seens are done with a lot of energy. The world is brought to alive with a lot of detail, good art direction, and solid world building.

It's why I hate the movies. The world makes no sense. The conflict, characters, and action they seem so.........anime. You've got shitty big boobed characters there to sell shit talking about nonsensical "the smell of your blood" crap. Like it's straight form some other lame anime. The world in the 3rd movie makes no sense. How does Nerv even operate? They spend a lot of time talking about how Nerv and world works in the tv show.  Characters like Mari don't exist. An Evangelion being destroyed is a big deal. The movies are everything I dislike about modern anime.

It's the roughness that makes it age better then Rahxephon. Rahxephon is such a manufactured show that it becomes boring to watch.  Everything feels planed out and characters like Quon and Haruka and so on feel like arch types. There because this kind of show needs it. They also don't have much beyond Ayato. The character's feel like they revolve around his problems. Evangelion is a weird show and it seems like it's constantly pulling shit out off it's ass and the characters feel more real, like they have more going on. Misato's struggles are not easily conveyed into a clean arch. I'm not sure she even get's resovle other then I guess she finds personal peace at death. That feels more real to me then the clear cut plotting for the character's in Rahxephon.

And in the end Evangelion is the iconic show. It's got iconic music, designs, imagry, pretty much everything. Every basically non Gundam like mecha show seems to borrow from Evangelion. It's a true classic.

I think it's a great show. Not a just because I watched it as a depressed teen. That's Rahxephon and that show was great for me back then. Now, not so much. Evangelion they as a depressed adult is something I can still relate to. But not even that I can appricate what feels like a lot of heart that went into it's production. Even the lame Jet Alone episode has cool scenes, animated cheaply, but creatively.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »
:beli

I love Code Geass, because of how fucking dumb and insane it gets.

But the middle of R2 literally has a dumb ass End of Evangelion episode. Like the writing team must have thought to themselves "shit how do we solve the Charles and Lulu mom subplot? THEY SECRETLY LOVED LULU,  BUT ARE EVIL AND WANT TO DO EOE".

It was pretty dumb when it happen.

Gurren is a different beast entirely.

Tasty

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2019, 07:03:40 PM »
Gurren-Lagann is a masterpiece.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2019, 07:51:22 PM »
Tears for every single GL death.

GIGA DRILL BREAAAAAKEEER!

This is spiral power

:'(

Himu

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2019, 07:52:02 PM »
Gundam is the best mecha franchise.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »
Gundam highs are seldom matched yes but there are many lows.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:10:44 PM by toku »

Himu

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2019, 08:01:14 PM »
Gundam highs are seldom matched yes but there many lows.

Ohhh yeah for sure
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2019, 08:43:48 PM »
Yeah no. Most of Gundam is pretty bad.

But yeah I guess as the defining mecha series it is.  But no matter UC or AU, it can get pretty bad.

Kara

Himu

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2019, 09:03:05 PM »
Season 1 of Iron Blooded Orphans is the best overall mecha content IMO. They kind of fucked up season 2 though.

Rule of Gundam: if there’s a sequel it’s shit.
IYKYK