Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1072613 times)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Please scream inside your heart
« Reply #14221 on: July 30, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »
K
:O

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #14222 on: July 30, 2021, 08:56:46 PM »
100k by next weekend?  To the moon!

Thanks, I hate it.

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #14223 on: August 01, 2021, 01:57:11 AM »
51k reported cases for the US on a Saturday with more than half of states not reporting and Florida being responsible for 40% of those reported cases  :shaq2

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

james

« Reply #14225 on: August 01, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »
So as per my date last night I spent a lot of time in NYC risking Delta for the nookie.

Folks, its not looking good. Not a single bar/restaurant employee wearing masks, and zero customers. Street mask usage is at like 2% now. Still required on the subway but even then only at 70% I would see. Much lower than in Newark where I would say 50% of people still wear one walking outside. Everything crowded/packed.

Wouldnt be surprised if NYC alone is reporting more than 1k daily this coming week and then 2k daily next week.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14226 on: August 01, 2021, 04:00:02 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1421395249918889988

:kobeyuck

“I think I can see the enemy coming, and I really am hesitant to shoot or not. But I know for sure I can see the enemy coming,”

Let's shoot the virus  :american
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #14227 on: August 01, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »
Another fully vaccinated person I know just posted they got delta and they're almost near-hospitalization level of 103F fever, confusion and chest congestion.

At this point I'm starting to feel like with Delta the vaccines work to keep you hopefully not in ICU/dead, but that's about it. Seems like the same gamble as before where most people are asymptomatic or mild symptoms and like 10% end up near hospitalized. Also it feels anecdotally like hospitalizations in vaccinated people are going to be lower because every vaccinated person I know that got covid, even if really sick, hasn't gone to the hospital because they're like "I'm vaxxed so I just gotta get through this and it'll be ok" whereas I think if they weren't vaxxed they would've gone to the hospital by that point.

It's so prevalent it just feels like a guarantee that unless you never leave your house in a biohazard suit, at some point in the next few months you'll get Delta, so just hoping don't get ICU'd or Dead from it. I'm also taking more risks lately for the nookie.

james

« Reply #14228 on: August 01, 2021, 05:42:41 PM »
I'm also taking more risks lately for the nookie.

Our most fertile years

:existential

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14229 on: August 01, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
UK is moving ahead with the third jab starting September 6th.
32 million people will be called up for starters.
🤴

james

Bebpo

« Reply #14231 on: August 03, 2021, 12:22:15 AM »
Yeah, we fucked.

I went out to the market and to the outside exterior of a mall to pick up dinner and almost not a goddamn mask in sight outside employees. People have just given up on any attempt to mitigate while the numbers keep increasing. It's insane.

There was a restaurant that had opened a huge outdoor dining area.

They just removed it last week. Because you know, it's not needed anymore. Things are fine!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14232 on: August 03, 2021, 06:00:28 AM »
It's cynical but after we opened up and our cases exploded they have since gone down just by banning big events and closing clubs again but that 'scare' did give a boost to our vaccination rates.
The general consensus seems to be that we will all get it at some point and that the vaccine will protect you better and prevents hospitalization if you do get it. We are at 50% fully vaccinated and 70% partially vaccinated.
With that in mind our government has now started to shut down vaccination sites and will likely also close testing sites.

They also discovered that of the people that donate blood about 93% had already gotten COVID-19.

Only nursing homes still have rules but those are fairly inconsistent.

Also when asked about COVID after giving a brief statement and a number of other issues our PM literally said: "I have vacation right now"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:35:23 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14233 on: August 03, 2021, 05:55:46 PM »
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #14234 on: August 03, 2021, 06:03:47 PM »
I wish we had a rules for thee, not for fully vaccinated me system over here, I could sell the pdfs you can generate of my vaccine passport for fat racks :money
(ice)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14235 on: August 04, 2021, 01:16:20 AM »

I blame the Dutch.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14236 on: August 04, 2021, 12:32:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1422670464321822723

COVID brand taking a new bold step
DELTA+

🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14237 on: August 04, 2021, 01:36:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I blame the Dutch.
the personal responsibility types don't want to take any responsibility  :oreilly

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #14238 on: August 04, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »

What are the chances of a vaccine or nuke mandate in the US?

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #14239 on: August 04, 2021, 03:43:13 PM »

Not high enough tbh

james

« Reply #14240 on: August 04, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »
People without vaccines should be taken to the FEMA death camps

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #14241 on: August 04, 2021, 04:33:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1422670464321822723

COVID brand taking a new bold step
DELTA+

I'm going to wait for the Delta Pro version.
Spud

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #14242 on: August 04, 2021, 04:41:29 PM »
Another BBC gem yesterday:

Covid cases and hospital admissions down - is it over?

Today cases are back up to near 30K, from 21K yesterday.

That's ~40 times more cases than in August 2020 btw. When restrictions were essentially non-existent. With no vaccines.

:picard

james

« Reply #14243 on: August 04, 2021, 04:47:53 PM »
Another BBC gem yesterday:

Covid cases and hospital admissions down - is it over?

Today cases are back up to near 30K, from 21K yesterday.

That's ~40 times more cases than in August 2020 btw. When restrictions were essentially non-existent. With no vaccines.

:picard

Nothing can top this one

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly/2021/03/18/how-ron-desantis-won-the-pandemic-492163

Bebpo

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14245 on: August 04, 2021, 05:04:54 PM »

Is Black Cock supposed to be a threat?
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14246 on: August 04, 2021, 05:19:38 PM »
Black Rock, you have to keep up with the lore, Kamala hired a former black rock executive as her new top advisor.

COVID-19 Delta OLED model when
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14247 on: August 04, 2021, 05:50:11 PM »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #14248 on: August 04, 2021, 09:10:15 PM »
lmao the WHO is so bad at this

https://twitter.com/hannahkuchler/status/1422920765696053256

What exactly has the WHO achieved during this pandemic aside from mismanaging the initial response?

As much as i hate to agree with Trump on anything, if I was in charge of a western nation that is disproportionately funding this shitshow of an organisation, I'd be asking what I'm getting in return for my investment...
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14249 on: August 04, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »
All of which raises an obvious question: Why in the world do we not yet have federal vaccine passports?

In a land of block-chain currencies, QR code menus, encrypted texts and microchip credit cards, those little CDC-logo flashcards are just pathetic. Even World War II dogtags are harder to forge.

Mr. Biden’s advisors failed to develop a passport plan while he was running for President. His administration specifically rejected passports in April.

America is now paying the price for that mistake.

Now that most employers and retailers recognize the danger, we could be easily blocking the unvaccinated at the doorways to stores, restaurants, bars, theaters, airplanes, buses, subways, hotels, schools and other venues just as easily as Walmart and Target were eventually able to compel their customers to don masks. The vast majority of Americans have cellphones that could display something like New York’s Excelsior passport.

Yes, there will be statehouse demonstrations. And screaming matches and, sadly, even some shootings. Some people don’t like to wear masks or seatbelts; some don’t like gun background checks or paying taxes. But this is why we have store security guards, the police and the highway patrol, the I.R.S., A.T.F. and F.B.I. — and why every state passed quarantine laws back in the 19th century. Sometimes the unwilling must be given a stark choice: whether you are suffering from a sense of murderous rage or from a communicable disease, you can either abide by the law meant to protect your fellow citizens from you — or you can stay in your house. If you do come out and endanger others, you go to jail.

james

« Reply #14250 on: August 05, 2021, 11:42:23 AM »
Mississippi reports their second highest number ever...

And schools start up there on Monday with masks not required

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #14251 on: August 05, 2021, 01:12:36 PM »
All of which raises an obvious question: Why in the world do we not yet have federal vaccine passports?

In a land of block-chain currencies, QR code menus, encrypted texts and microchip credit cards, those little CDC-logo flashcards are just pathetic. Even World War II dogtags are harder to forge.

Mr. Biden’s advisors failed to develop a passport plan while he was running for President. His administration specifically rejected passports in April.

America is now paying the price for that mistake.

Now that most employers and retailers recognize the danger, we could be easily blocking the unvaccinated at the doorways to stores, restaurants, bars, theaters, airplanes, buses, subways, hotels, schools and other venues just as easily as Walmart and Target were eventually able to compel their customers to don masks. The vast majority of Americans have cellphones that could display something like New York’s Excelsior passport.

Yes, there will be statehouse demonstrations. And screaming matches and, sadly, even some shootings. Some people don’t like to wear masks or seatbelts; some don’t like gun background checks or paying taxes. But this is why we have store security guards, the police and the highway patrol, the I.R.S., A.T.F. and F.B.I. — and why every state passed quarantine laws back in the 19th century. Sometimes the unwilling must be given a stark choice: whether you are suffering from a sense of murderous rage or from a communicable disease, you can either abide by the law meant to protect your fellow citizens from you — or you can stay in your house. If you do come out and endanger others, you go to jail.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #14252 on: August 05, 2021, 01:25:35 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14253 on: August 05, 2021, 01:37:46 PM »
Well at least they're still proving the statistics right that only 1% of people actually die because of COVID.

RT or rather Russian broadcasting did an 'oopsie' though, they kept airing pieces about how AstraZenica and Pfizer are bad for you and had horrible side effects.
But now Russia is also finding it very difficult to get people to take their own 'safe' vaccine because they've scared everyone.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #14254 on: August 05, 2021, 03:03:27 PM »
A co-worker of mine in his late 50s or early 60s who was traveling around the USA for work and having dinners and shaking hands unmasked for the last few weeks and was fully vaxxed with Pfizer in March, got sick last week at a convention in Arizona and cut his trip short and came back to So Cal where he tested positive for Delta. He said it went straight to his lungs but over the weekend said he felt like he was getting better and was sending work emails and that's when I talked to him.

Got an email today he was taken by ambulance to the hospital w/pneumonia. Not sure what the %s are but sure hope he pulls through, he's a good dude. But Delta, especially if you're in the 60+ older crowd, even if fully vaccinated, is pretty scary. I'm thankful I'm still younger when all this is happening, though I wish this all happened when I was like 20-30 and before I was on immune-suppressant lifetime medication!

I was reading about how the pneumonia vaccine seems to help against covid,

https://about.kaiserpermanente.org/our-story/health-research/news/pneumonia-vaccine-may-affect-course-of-covid-19

And my doc had recommended I get the pneumonia vaccine, even though I'm under 65 because I'm immune-suppressed, but looking online it seems my immune-suppressant seriously reduces the efficiency of the pneumonia vaccine so that sucks, but better than nothing I guess?

https://www.janssenmd.com/remicade/dosage-administration/drug-interactions/vaccines/remicade-use-of-pneumococcal-vaccine

Patients on REMICADE or combined immunosuppression had significantly lower response rates to pneumococcal vaccination (57.7% and 62.5%, respectively) compared to the mesalamine group with 88.6% response (P=0.008 and P=0.02, compared to the control group, respectively). Patients in the azathioprine group had a 78.9% response rate to the vaccination which was not a significantly lower rate vs. the mesalamine group (P=0.43).

Will get the pneumonia shot before my next infusion when my immune suppressant is at the lowest I can for the hopefully extra protection.

Also I can't post about my co-worker getting hospitalized on era without fear of getting banned for "making doom shit up" because it's not fitting their narrative that vaccines are awesome and it's incredibly rare to get anything more than a cold from delta if vaccinated.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14256 on: August 05, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »
Also I can't post about my co-worker getting hospitalized on era without fear of getting banned for "making doom shit up" because it's not fitting their narrative that vaccines are awesome and it's incredibly rare to get anything more than a cold from delta if vaccinated.
And this is why a free exchange of ideas, even if messy is so important.

Hopefully your co-worker makes it. I'm not surprised he thought he was safe, the vaccine was advertised as some sort of 'super cure' but the reality is more complicated.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14257 on: August 06, 2021, 04:31:25 AM »
🤴

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14259 on: August 06, 2021, 06:41:53 AM »
The dead by COVID starter pack

🤴

Kurt Russell

« Reply #14260 on: August 06, 2021, 06:42:15 AM »
As much as i hate to agree with Trump on anything, if I was in charge of a western nation that is disproportionately funding this shitshow of an organisation, I'd be asking what I'm getting in return for my investment...

Dat sweet sweet Chinese soft diplomacy.
woke

james

« Reply #14261 on: August 06, 2021, 12:43:50 PM »
Covid is the cure to an Idiocracy future

:rejoice

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14262 on: August 06, 2021, 12:49:41 PM »
just gave idiocracy a rewatch the other day  :thinking

james

« Reply #14263 on: August 06, 2021, 01:08:42 PM »
just gave idiocracy a rewatch the other day  :thinking

I just watched it for the first time while flying United Airlines

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14264 on: August 06, 2021, 04:19:43 PM »
https://globalnews.ca/news/8091786/quebec-vaccine-appointments/

Vaccination appointments double in Quebec after province announces vaccine passport plan

Bebpo

« Reply #14265 on: August 06, 2021, 08:18:08 PM »
Finally got my vaccine antibody test results from June 2nd. They were just raw data so I had to google around to make sense of it.

My antibodies for if I ever had covid were basically none:

Qualitative anti-N (Nucleocapsid) IgG:     0.03       (positive: equal to or greater than 1.40)

and my vaccine antibodies 8 weeks after the first shot of Pfizer were:

Quantitative anti-S (Spike) IgG:        5606.7 AU/mL   (positive: equal to or greater than 50 AU/mL)

Googling around it seems like the average general population antibody count after 2 shots of MRNA is about 8,500 AU/mL mean and 7,500 AU/mL median and again states that anything over 50 AU/mL is considered having immunity protection.

So basically I have plenty of antibodies from the vaccines, but about 1/3rd less than your average person because my immune system is more suppressed. Still seems pretty ok, but maybe means I'll need a booster a bit before most people which I already expected and my doctor suggested. I'll be in line once the boosters start here in the US to get mine.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 03:06:55 PM by Bebpo »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #14266 on: August 06, 2021, 09:01:16 PM »
Finally got my vaccine antibody test results from June 2nd. They were just raw data so I had to google around to make sense of it.

Qualitative anti-N (Nucleocapsid) IgG:     0.03       (positive: equal to or greater than 1.40)

and my vaccine antibodies 8 weeks after the first shot of Pfizer were:

Quantitative anti-S (Spike) IgG:        5606.7 AU/mL   (positive: equal to or greater than 50 AU/mL)

Googling around it seems like the average general population antibody count after 2 shots of MRNA is about 8,500 AU/mL mean and 7,500 AU/mL average and again states that anything over 50 AU/mL is considered having immunity protection.

So basically I have plenty of antibodies from the vaccines, but about 1/3rd less than your average person because my immune system is more suppressed. Still seems pretty ok, but maybe means I'll need a booster a bit before most people which I already expected and my doctor suggested. I'll be in line once the boosters start here in the US to get mine.

Good stuff mate. I'm due to get my first shot this afternoon.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14267 on: August 07, 2021, 05:31:23 AM »
Getting my second shot today.

Last time I had serious side effects so we'll see how it goes.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14268 on: August 07, 2021, 09:14:53 AM »
Second shot done.

Now lock up all the unvaccinated trash :rash
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14269 on: August 08, 2021, 08:47:07 AM »
Second shot took me out too.

Sore arm, Tired af and the shits  :gaas
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14271 on: August 08, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »
The fear is that misinterpretation of the numbers will dissuade people from getting vaccinated.

19% of California COVID cases are breakthroughs

And we all know people read the disclaimer in the article and not just the headline :trumps

🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #14272 on: August 08, 2021, 03:49:01 PM »
I just wish the states/government/cdc would be more transparent on breakthrough infections instead of hiding the ball to try to not dissuade vaccination.

When people hide stuff it just automatically makes you assume it's bad. But reading the data it still seems that hospitalizations/deaths are really low for vaccinated which is the main thing. But they're still hiding the ball so much.

I went to a bonfire last night at a open-air windy beach for a bunch of hours. Was about 30 people mingling. I think everyone was vaccinated. No masks the entire beach. People kept coming up to me like 1-2 feet away and wanting to have face to face conversations. I had the conversations, though I may have been awkward and turning sideways to not talk directly to their face, but it gave me anxiety given the current delta wave.

Hopefully didn't get delta from that. Guess I'll know in the next 2 weeks.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14273 on: August 08, 2021, 03:51:38 PM »
Open air with some distance should be fine.

Closed spaces with poor ventilation is still the biggest problem.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #14274 on: August 08, 2021, 03:57:28 PM »
For sure, though I still think there isn't enough data on open-air and delta.

With the original variant there was enough info that it was almost impossible to get the strain from outdoor mingling. But Delta being so much more transmissible and a lot of transmissions in the UK being outdoor stadium sports matches...ehh, that may not be as accuate.

But yeah talking with a dozen people over a couple hours who are all vaccinated from 1-2 feet away is probably low risk even if it's not 0% risk.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14275 on: August 08, 2021, 07:57:05 PM »
Ontario breakthrough stats: From July 10-24, there were 2171 cases, of which 69.4% were in completely unvaxed people, 20.4% were in one-dosed, and 10.3% were in double-dosed people. In ICUs, there were 39 ICU admissions, of which 26 were in unvaxed people, 8 in one-dosed, and 5 in double-dosed.
OOF

Bebpo

« Reply #14276 on: August 08, 2021, 10:49:00 PM »
Ontario breakthrough stats: From July 10-24, there were 2171 cases, of which 69.4% were in completely unvaxed people, 20.4% were in one-dosed, and 10.3% were in double-dosed people. In ICUs, there were 39 ICU admissions, of which 26 were in unvaxed people, 8 in one-dosed, and 5 in double-dosed.
OOF

Yeah, those stats looked good at first with only 10% covid infections being in fully vaccinated people.

13% of ICU patients, not even hospitalized, but close-to-fucking-dying ICU in fully vaccinated people is...less good. Though I guess if none of them die or only like 1 dies it'll stay within the stats we are seeing.

One-dosed unfortunately really doesn't seem to do shit against Delta, so we basically need to just include them in the non-vaxxed group for now.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #14277 on: August 09, 2021, 12:41:30 AM »

Not that it matters in your case, but this test isn't as reliable because there's a lot of cross-reactivity of antibodies to N from various coronaviruses (think common cold). So testing positive for those doesn't necessarily indicate exposure to SARS-CoV2.

james

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴