Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1089689 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #6540 on: April 16, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »
Imagine if we started sending grains to India to feed humans rather than to the Netherlands to feed cows.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6541 on: April 16, 2020, 07:08:53 PM »
We call Nintex a lot of names but that's going too far. 

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6542 on: April 16, 2020, 07:10:00 PM »
Imagine if we started sending grains to India to feed humans rather than to the Netherlands to feed cows.
forcing people to eat field corn is a fate worse than death
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #6543 on: April 16, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »
Explain your new nick Shosta.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6544 on: April 16, 2020, 07:11:52 PM »
Then turn it into some High-fructose syrup that can be added to flavoured water before we send it to them.  If we get them to pollute their water supplies in making our consumables, we could force them to drink that.   

shosta

« Reply #6545 on: April 16, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
Explain your new nick Shosta.
cixiyalwte os kopSnn uar nhe.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #6546 on: April 16, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »
Aight.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6547 on: April 16, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »
The doctors: We can reopen but we need to keep the masks, gloves, social distancing, etc

Trump: I want 110 thousand asses in 110 thousand seats at the football games, god damn it
:nsfw

https://i.imgur.com/2k2RUUz.jpg

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6548 on: April 16, 2020, 07:19:22 PM »
it's the letters that form "shostakovitch" but scrambled

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6549 on: April 16, 2020, 07:23:18 PM »
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6550 on: April 16, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »
forcing people to eat field corn is a fate worse than death

shelbyvillebitinglemon.jpg

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6552 on: April 16, 2020, 07:30:37 PM »
The doctors: We can reopen but we need to keep the masks, gloves, social distancing, etc

Trump: I want 110 thousand asses in 110 thousand seats at the football games, god damn it

https://i.imgur.com/2k2RUUz.jpg

He didn't shave his beard to CDC mask covering standard. 6/10, would bang, but would get corona from.

Leadbelly

« Reply #6553 on: April 16, 2020, 07:31:36 PM »
The ramifications of a prolonged lockdown, potentially lasting over 18 months, could be disastrous. It really is a complex issue.
I feel like you're not listening. If India has trouble feeding itself, we should feed India. Which we are able to do. China is India's northern neighbor, has eliminated its coronavirus problem, and is a major food exporter. They can provide relief if they choose to.

And this isn't going to last 18 months. Show me one person anywhere who says that a TOTAL LOCKDOWN is going to last 18 months everywhere. More likely we have a year of localized lockdowns and travel restrictions.

If we feed them fine.

And I feel the original point often gets lost when going through these lengthy discussions. It was in response to that Youtube video. His point being that public confidence in the economy is what will drive the economy. If we open too soon then it will make things worse. He then went on to say it will probably last until there is a vaccine. To which I stated that if it lasts that long, whether there is confidence or not, it will probably end up disastrous either way.

shosta

« Reply #6554 on: April 16, 2020, 07:34:27 PM »
Ok. And all I was trying to say is that saying it's disastrous either way doesn't change the fact that one option is a million times more preferable than the other.
每天生气

Leadbelly

« Reply #6555 on: April 16, 2020, 07:35:39 PM »
I hope so. We'll leave it at that. lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6556 on: April 16, 2020, 07:36:11 PM »
stost, did you see them cheeks?  :whew

shosta

« Reply #6557 on: April 16, 2020, 07:39:28 PM »
i didn't but i've liked your post now. thanks for bringing them to my attention!  :tophat

—The Stosta Like Trust
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #6558 on: April 16, 2020, 07:47:17 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/qhm305/status/1250799334846857216

God, I want hot pot. I don't know if American Restaurants will adopt all of this. (masks, temperature check, etc).

Tripon

Tasty

« Reply #6560 on: April 16, 2020, 08:13:44 PM »
did you just google "india poor coronavirus" :doge

Nintex why would you like this. :snoop

nachobro

• Live Más

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6562 on: April 16, 2020, 10:17:41 PM »
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

what is up with the 14th deaths?  Was this backlogged NY deaths?

edit 

New York City today has reported 3,778 additional deaths that have occurred since March 11 and have been classified as "probable," defined as follows: “decedent [...] had no known positive laboratory test for SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) but the death certificate lists as a cause of death “COVID-19” or an equivalent" [source]. We will add these to the New York State total as soon as it is determined whether the historical distribution can be obtained
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:27:11 PM by Madrun Badrun »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6564 on: April 16, 2020, 11:51:11 PM »
Have you guys thought about liability issues in the post-quarantine world we will be slowly entering?

How does a concert venue open up and put itself at risk of a patron getting sick there and then passing away? It would seem like a pretty juicy case for a lawyer to take and blame the venue for not protecting the patrons enough. I’m already seeing rumblings of people potentially filing cases against employers or governmental bodies.

I’ve worked in corporations long enough to see how risk averse they are to liability concerns. I just can’t see how they can go back to “business as usual” without some kind of immunity granted to them going forward.

Or am I just overthinking this?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6565 on: April 17, 2020, 12:02:23 AM »
There's probably some common-law concept about the typical risks that a reasonable person would expect.

And in practice, I think the courts would be pretty shy about bringing the hammer down on whole industries like that. But I wouldn't be shocked if we see new boilerplate disclaimers in ads and maybe some provisions snuck into big legislative bills.

thisismyusername

« Reply #6566 on: April 17, 2020, 12:15:02 AM »
I feel you're overthinking it a little. Patrons take the risk in showing up/being with other folks. Unless the venue KNOWINGLY has someone on staff (or the venue books someone that KNOWINGLY has it), someone infecting others at their venue is out of their hands. They didn't know the status of the person they let in.

I don't think there's liability here beyond "you swim show up at your own risk" like beaches without lifeguards. People still go.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6567 on: April 17, 2020, 12:15:46 AM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6568 on: April 17, 2020, 12:17:46 AM »
I listened to the New Zealand PM addressing her country and I have no idea how well they're actually handling the details of this or whether their plan is better or worse than other countries, but holy hell was I envious at the idea of someone projecting adult competence in the middle of this situation.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6569 on: April 17, 2020, 12:18:36 AM »
marianne was right again! :heart

team filler

• filler
  • filler

bluemax

NO

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6572 on: April 17, 2020, 02:18:38 AM »
is it getting better or worse in the states, I can't fucking tell anymore

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6573 on: April 17, 2020, 02:43:18 AM »

Beast Mode activation has an intermittent short circuit caused by faulty wires.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:29:29 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6574 on: April 17, 2020, 02:52:28 AM »

Depends on the curve of the dozen of states behind NYS. It seems they may have plateau but I'm not sure for all the others behind. Not all states report on what happens in long term care homes yet too, so there's probably some backlog that will be dumped on the total.
USA will probably stay at 1500-2000 deaths in hospitals a day for a while. There, hopefully, will not be anywhere that can get as catastrophic as New York City but if others places hit their peaks later, the plateau at the national level may last longer than Italy/Spain/France.

Seems certain the US will be at 50-60k total fatalities by May 1st.

Considering we know 88% of those deaths included 23 comorbidities, are actually not COVID but an obvious ploy to get Fed grant money by greedy Demonrats because it's much more efficient to destroy the economy and not collect taxes on it, the MetaCritic user score is sitting at 5.6, that diarrhea kills 1,8m worldwide and is it even flu season anymore...? Pretty good job by Trump.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:04:13 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Fifstar

« Reply #6575 on: April 17, 2020, 04:18:07 AM »

The US is more like multiple countries, so it's tough to say. I would still expect some states/regions to develop somewhat larger outbreaks, so some regional spikes in infections and deaths could still be coming. Also the deaths are delayed by 14 -20 days, so there could still some waves be coming from states that are behind New York.  But since the most important safety precautions like social distance and closure of big events have been in place for some time in most states, there is a solid chance that there won't be another super spread. So from that point of view, the US could be at the peak and in control for now.

Gulp

Occam

« Reply #6576 on: April 17, 2020, 04:31:15 AM »
Ok, thanks for the clarity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/g2ci8d/angela_merkel_explains_why_opening_up_society_is/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Merkel breaks down the thin line we are treading on

And that was just her reply to the question of a reporter according to reddit. It's nice when there are adults in the room discussing these topics.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6577 on: April 17, 2020, 04:43:58 AM »
China issued a correction of its COVID stats.
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6578 on: April 17, 2020, 04:44:33 AM »
 :gamer

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6579 on: April 17, 2020, 04:57:12 AM »

I give sympathy likes to mandark  :tocry

Think of it as like welfare benefits for the less fortunate.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6580 on: April 17, 2020, 04:58:19 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6581 on: April 17, 2020, 05:02:25 AM »
We're farting ourselves to death. This whole thing is just a south park LARP that all of society participates in
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6582 on: April 17, 2020, 05:05:34 AM »
 :corona_mj

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6583 on: April 17, 2020, 08:02:52 AM »
Stopcovid, the tracing app the French government is working on, will "probably not be ready" when it will debated at the Assembly on April 28 and 29.

:juicy
ὕβρις

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6584 on: April 17, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »
I listened to the New Zealand PM addressing her country and I have no idea how well they're actually handling the details of this or whether their plan is better or worse than other countries, but holy hell was I envious at the idea of someone projecting adult competence in the middle of this situation.

It's even worse when they're your neighbour. Our PM looks like Trump compared to Adern, she's been fantastic. We've just been really lucky that all the stupid decisions our PM has made haven't backfired, except for whoever let 2700 cruise passengers off a ship in Sydney, which accounts for about 1/3 of all our cases/deaths.
itm

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6585 on: April 17, 2020, 08:54:05 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6586 on: April 17, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »
SOS Méditerranée -a NGO who operates ships to save migrants crossing the Med- & Doctors Without Borders have ceased their collaboration as they disagree on if you can carry operations with reasonable health safety in place.
ὕβρις

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6587 on: April 17, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6589 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
Which looks shady except NY and Quebec just did the same thing yesterday. 

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6590 on: April 17, 2020, 10:34:02 AM »
Ontario
Number of cases: 9,525 (+564)
Dead: 478 (+55)
Backlog: 5,993

I'm surprised it's still increasing. Vast majority here are practicing strict social distancing.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6592 on: April 17, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/coronavirus/article_34b7cfc8-8037-11ea-a83a-7307f2732ff1.html

As federal funding for small business loans is tapped, local mayors around here are opening up smaller businesses as of today, let's see how this plays out. hopefully people don't rush to buy furniture and not much changes rather than new hospitalization rate go BRR

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6593 on: April 17, 2020, 10:59:51 AM »
This may belong in late-stage capitalism.

http://h4b7a.emailsp.com/f/rnl.aspx/?mgd=touuyc9kh=o2-k0=ovp1_6d1a.=&fd.i2c5:yx&x=pp&ww&x=pv&a2.:76adxa7e=uovuNCLM

Brad J. Lamb is a real estate broker and condominium developer--so the worst kind of scum in Canada. He was precluded from building a condo because two 19-century heritage homes got in the way. The city of Toronto did not give him rezoning approval. Somehow, three weeks ago, these giant abandoned heritage homes caught on fire, with police saying that at least one explosion took place inside. Two days later, there was another fire! It could've been anyone!

Every cause of death should be treated with equal importance, and if 5,000 people die from COVID-19 this year, it will be tragic. It is also tragic that 14,000 people die from drug overdoses as well. We do not quarantine the country to prevent opioid overdoses
If we didn't do this, we'd have hundreds of thousands of deaths in Canada--not 5,000.
You don't get an opiod overdose because someone sneezes on you.

If we had an option to self-isolate for many months, we could look at that, but we do not. More people may die in Canada due to the quarantine that due to the virus. On average, Canadians save $160/month. One third of Canadians have no savings. Many millions in Canada literally live paycheque to paycheque.
Maybe you and your fellow rent-seekers caused this?

(in one year we will add another $180B). Who exactly is being helped by this monster deficit? Well, I can tell you my companies are not being helped.
Your companies have sold billions of dollars worth of condos and earned 100s of millions by being parasites. You don't need help.

I am dubious that any of the largesse will really help people. I am sure that abuses from fraudulent claims will occur in large numbers.
::)
In a random test, it has been reported that as much as 70% of the Lombardy province of Italy has been infected with COVID-19.
Citation needed

What if the mortality rate is 1/10th, 1/20th, or 1/100th of the published mortality rates? What if COVID-19 is similar to the seasonal flu based on mortality rates and overall expected deaths?
New York City has about 2,000 influenza-related deaths in a year. In one month, 8,500 have died of COVID-19--and that's with measures in place that you don't think are necessary.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:44:41 AM by Flannel Boy »

Tripon

« Reply #6594 on: April 17, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1251124028359741447

So we reached the bug chaser part of the curve.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6595 on: April 17, 2020, 11:31:58 AM »
From the PMs speech going on now:  the government's plan for oil workers is to get them to clean up old wells and stimulus for pollution reduction methods (10000 jobs).  This is really great.  'Just because we are in a health crisis does not mean we can ignore the environmental crisis'.  Alberta is going to be so salty.

In the same speech, he talks about giving money to artists :dead

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/financial-aid-covid19-trudeau-1.5535629
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:49:00 AM by Madrun Badrun »

thisismyusername

thisismyusername

« Reply #6597 on: April 17, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6598 on: April 17, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »
I wonder if she met them in lockdown originally.
©@©™