Author Topic: Star Trek Thread part 2: The Kurtzman Strikes Back  (Read 66119 times)

Tuckers Law

Re: Star Trek Thread part 2: The Kurtzman Strikes Back
« Reply #420 on: October 29, 2021, 03:31:36 PM »
It would be wonderful if he was doing that deliberately as a shitpost.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #421 on: November 04, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »
Not solely focused on Star Trek, but drinker still lays in thick and goes for the throat.

Discovery is SUCH TRASH.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: November 21, 2021, 06:30:30 PM »

O Brien!
What

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #423 on: November 22, 2021, 04:29:05 AM »

:mike

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #426 on: January 25, 2022, 02:48:23 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #427 on: January 25, 2022, 02:49:51 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #428 on: January 31, 2022, 12:35:48 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #429 on: January 31, 2022, 04:10:32 AM »
 :nope

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #430 on: January 31, 2022, 07:23:23 AM »
Video not available
What

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #431 on: January 31, 2022, 07:43:45 AM »
Uncle

Borealis

« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2022, 07:47:01 PM »
Only just found out about this:

https://deadline.com/2021/08/alex-kurtzman-mega-overall-deal-cbs-studios-secret-hideout-stephen-king-1234806977/

In 2018, Kurtzman signed a new five-year deal with CBS Television Studios to oversee and expand the Star Trek franchise on television, including serving as executive producer on Star Trek: Discovery (which he also co-showruns with Michelle Paradise), Star Trek: Short Treks, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Lower Decks.

In August 2021, Kurtzman and Secret Hideout extended its overall deal with CBS Studios, through 2026.

:info :donot :goty

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #433 on: February 05, 2022, 07:30:16 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #434 on: February 05, 2022, 07:34:12 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #435 on: February 06, 2022, 08:36:29 AM »
I dunn if thats a photoshop or a cosplay, but Guy Fieringhi is :delicious

benjipwns

« Reply #436 on: February 08, 2022, 10:38:45 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: March 03, 2022, 05:36:50 PM »
Skipped through the first episode

horrible schlock time travel multiverse trash
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #438 on: March 03, 2022, 09:47:25 PM »

Are we talking about Pukehard or Disgracery?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #439 on: March 04, 2022, 06:59:14 AM »

Are we talking about Pukehard or Disgracery?

Pikkerd
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #440 on: March 04, 2022, 07:53:24 AM »

:uguu

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: March 04, 2022, 08:21:44 AM »

:uguu

Wtf if one guy can fix this why cant a fucking entire crew fix it? It looks so much better
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #442 on: March 09, 2022, 12:38:42 AM »
Watched the first ep of PICARD s2 on Japanese Amazon Prime, and it starts from the MILF Irish/Romulan woman making a move on Picard, essentially. This seems like weird egotism. Like having Shatner require that some hot ensign put a move on the geriatric and bloated Kirk in the later movies. C'mon.

Wtf if one guy can fix this why cant a fucking entire crew fix it? It looks so much better
Deepfakes were not really being explored at the time.
Luke's appearance in star wars tv stuff is going to change that.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: March 09, 2022, 05:57:36 AM »
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #444 on: March 09, 2022, 08:33:01 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #445 on: March 11, 2022, 03:18:00 AM »
Spoilers ahead for Picard S2 E2

Ok so not quite an 'mirror universe'. It's a bit too on the nose though. And I hate the cursing in this 'Star Trek'. I thought humanity was above cursing and stuff? I hate how Picard acts in this show compared to TNG. So fucking stupid and out of character constantly.

So after the 'big bang' ending to E1, where Picard blew up the Stargazer near the Borg ship coming through a spacetime anomaly, Q intervened and transported the crew back to a time where in 2024 something was changed in that point in time, so that the entire Federation (Now called the Confederation hurr hurr) is now a totalitarian regime (even though they call it that and also authoritarian but that's a different thing I believe) hellbent on making the Galaxy bend under the rule of Humanity.

So even though they are thrust into this world where everyone is a madman, they still find a way to seemingly coincedentally meet up with eachother and verify that they are still themselves from the 'other' time.

So they find out that this Confederation has captured a lot of enemies of Humanity, including the Borg Queen. The Borg Queen tells them that they are misaligned in time, that something was changed. Luckily, through (magic?) the Borg Queen is able to 'calculate' where and when this change took place exactly. How is she able to calculate this? Not explained, don't dwell on the details. So they enlist the help of the Borg Queen, abduct her from the palace of the confederation.

All of our characters have their place in this world and they are thrust into a situation not quite unlike the Mirror Episode in the original Star Trek with Kirk. They act out their role as much as they can, General Picard at least comes across like he's trying to act, which is good. I enjoyed that.

I cannot tell you how much I hate Agnes Jurati. Her character is beyond stupid, how and why they let a murderous influential unstable personality on board a starship is absolutely beyond my understanding. This time she almost throws the entire charade into the open, and exposes herself to scrutiny from a Magistrate from the Confederation (oh yeah, Seven's husband). "Why did you call her Seven?"  "Oh she's my highschool drinking buddy hurr hurr". Fuck you Agnes. You fucking suck.

And now it seems she will be influenced by the Borg Queen. She instantly hooks the Borg Queen up to the ship, so she can help the crew make a timejump to 2024. Supposedly we might be seeing Sisko, but I'm not sure. They said his name during this episode so it might be possible they are going back to the Bell Riots from DS9.

Then there's Q. Delance is doing an amazing job as Q if I might say so. He hasn't missed a beat. It was fun seeing him. But how Picard was acting against him, fucking stupid.

"I have no time for your bullshit Q" is something TNG Picard would never say. At least not the bullshit part.

What

Tasty

« Reply #446 on: March 14, 2022, 10:57:18 PM »
Bumming around Netflix and decided to pop on a random TNG episode I haven't remembered watching. Wasn't sure I'd finish.

The Defector.

Right out of the gate it's awesome with Patrick Stewart doing some Shakespeare, then right into Romulan Warbird action. :lawd Writing is so on point, political tension so high. Will this lead to war?! Is this guy a defector or spy?! :o

Forgot what quality TV was like for a min.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #447 on: March 15, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »
Right out of the gate it's awesome with Patrick Stewart doing some Shakespeare

Uncle

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #448 on: March 16, 2022, 02:18:55 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/paul-wesley-james-t-kirk-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-1235112252/

Vampire Diaries actor plays Kirk. Article implies that the series will shift to Kirk focus? I am confused.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #449 on: March 16, 2022, 01:01:06 PM »
Discovery was a huge pile of shit, and even the people who initially defended it under a "b-b-but TNG wasn't good until season 2 or 3" mantra have given up and acknowledged that its fucking shit, so I can only assume when Alex Kurtzman hears fans saying "STOP THIS SHIT AND GIVE US SOMETHING MORE LIKE CLASSICS TREK" what he actually hears is "WE WANT MORE OF OLD CHARACTER (IN NAME ONLY)", so will continue making his 'original' shit and selling it under a name it doesn't warrant.

It's particularly galling if they're going to pivot to not-Kirk because Brand Recognition™ because Anson Mount and Rebecca Romjin had fucking great chemistry as characters, and could carry a decentish monster of the wek scifi show

benjipwns

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #451 on: March 18, 2022, 05:09:01 AM »
Picard Episode 3...

Still meh

Borg queen
Jurati hacking into the borg queen
Timetravel hijinx

Boring and predictable
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #453 on: March 18, 2022, 01:43:04 PM »
Picard Episode 3...

Still meh

Borg queen
Jurati hacking into the borg queen
Timetravel hijinx

Boring and predictable

Man, why are you still subjecting yourself to this?  They can’t learn if we actually still watch this shit!

:fbm

Tasty

« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2022, 04:23:50 PM »

:whatsthedeal

« Reply #455 on: April 04, 2022, 03:56:57 PM »
Rebecca Romijn plays "Number One" on the new Star Trek series. Someone took that literally. The character's named Una.

I don't mean to be that guy, but this seems very, very dumb.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #456 on: April 04, 2022, 04:29:21 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #457 on: April 05, 2022, 10:14:25 AM »
Rebecca Romijn plays "Number One" on the new Star Trek series. Someone took that literally. The character's named Una.

Could be it's retconned that her nickname is derived from her name.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #458 on: April 05, 2022, 11:57:50 AM »
 ???

its her rank, not her nickname

Picard  :  Riker
Pike  :  Mystique

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #459 on: April 05, 2022, 12:36:26 PM »
Nominative determinism was proven to be true by scientists at the Daystrom Institute in the mid 23rd century. 

« Reply #460 on: April 05, 2022, 10:02:44 PM »

It's clearly a title. Picard calls Riker number one for the entirety of Next Generation.

Also, Dr. M'benga is chief medical officer so I guess he takes a demotion for the original series.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #461 on: April 05, 2022, 11:05:24 PM »

It's clearly a title. Picard calls Riker number one for the entirety of Next Generation.

Also, Dr. M'benga is chief medical officer so I guess he takes a demotion for the original series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_One_(Star_Trek)#Influence

« Reply #462 on: April 06, 2022, 09:33:32 AM »
The remastered director's cut of the Motionless Picture is out on Paramount+. Has anyone seen it?

I never hated the original, but Harlan Ellison was right. I was thinking there might be some additional scenes that would make watching this worthwhile.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #463 on: April 06, 2022, 10:25:41 AM »
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #464 on: April 06, 2022, 10:55:58 AM »
IIRC the DC additions are super minor, they don't change much about TMP.

Don't know if I saw the Remastered Edition or not but I remember it being a very pretty film to look at, the initial scene on Vulcan was gorgeous.

benjipwns

« Reply #465 on: April 06, 2022, 01:27:01 PM »
It's mostly just cut differently and the pacing is a little better, it's still Motionless but it doesn't feel as slow or that nothing is happening because the pacing is improved. Wise never had an original "final" cut because they were so behind on everything and the film was sent still wet to the premiere, so the original theatrical cut was still cobbled together in places. The one cut they used to show on TV, Spock never comes back from the space walk, it cuts to something else and then he's just suddenly back on the bridge. :lol

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #468 on: April 08, 2022, 03:04:44 PM »
 :yuck

Tasty

« Reply #469 on: April 09, 2022, 10:09:38 PM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #470 on: April 10, 2022, 05:53:08 PM »
Not solely focused on Star Trek, but drinker still lays in thick and goes for the throat.

Discovery is SUCH TRASH.

What a distinguished mentally-challenged take :lol

But please, go to war. While I stay where bad Stark Trek movies are the worst thing to happen.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 06:15:21 PM by paprikastaude »

Polident Hive

« Reply #471 on: April 11, 2022, 06:44:19 AM »
This is being pedantic for the sake of it. Wasn’t Kirk’s deal in Beyond growing older than his father? Not growing old in a midlife crisis way. It’s a moment that stuck with me, for an extremely lame reason: there’s a similar scene in Batman vs Superman and both came out at about the same time.

Thinking about it, Beyond was the last new Star Trek media I saw. Coming up on six years ago. Thought it was entertaining at the time. They wrote around and in Nimoy’s passing decently.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #472 on: April 11, 2022, 06:00:53 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #473 on: April 11, 2022, 06:56:38 PM »
This is being pedantic for the sake of it. Wasn’t Kirk’s deal in Beyond growing older than his father? Not growing old in a midlife crisis way. It’s a moment that stuck with me, for an extremely lame reason: there’s a similar scene in Batman vs Superman and both came out at about the same time.

Thinking about it, Beyond was the last new Star Trek media I saw. Coming up on six years ago. Thought it was entertaining at the time. They wrote around and in Nimoy’s passing decently.
Yep, both Kirk and Bruce are reflecting on their career realizing they're older than their father ever got to live to be. I thought it was one of the better touches for both characters, that sort of "I've gotten to live longer than dad did and this is what I'm doing with it?" Batman's was a little more severe by creating a death wish, Kirk learns how much he treasures his crew. (Batman doesn't learn this until ZSJL.)

I really really liked Beyond. It and The Video Game (funny enough) gave me faith in the Abramsverse once it was out of the hands of Abrams and Orci and Kurtzman. The actors were good from the start, but the material was so shit, The Video Game being halfway Trekian made me enjoy it despite the gameplay and then Beyond was just great. Unfortunate that rather than Lin and Pegg and the crew getting another crack at a film we've instead had all these series that are just...

Also a bit unfortunate that Khan John Harrison and the Klingons were so wasted in Into Darkness, while I'm not the biggest fan of simply reusing Khan for the new "universe" I think Lin and Pegg could have made both work in a much more acceptable way at this point in the careers of the crew that could have drawn interest back to the franchise rather than what happened with Into Darkness where it ended up simply mocking the franchise and I can't imagine would have interested more casual or non-fans anyway. The Klingons especially have been wasted, being a mention in the first film and a joke in the second rather than the looming threat they were supposed to be. (The comics, originally written with Orci and Kurtzman's approval of fleshing out the Abramsverse, actually started sketching them out as this threat on the frontier before Into Darkness did what it did.) Even Enterprise didn't botch their first runs with the Klingons this bad.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #474 on: April 17, 2022, 10:37:14 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #475 on: April 22, 2022, 11:56:31 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #476 on: April 28, 2022, 11:27:32 AM »

💯

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: YouTube Comment
At one point in time, these Hellraiser movies were considered schlock cinema. Yet look how adeptly they’re able to convey the tension and menace of the monsters’ attack versus the amateur, laughable execution of Picard.

[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #477 on: April 29, 2022, 07:58:01 AM »
Lol that's Hellraiser? Never seen em, was always too scared as a kid

But yes that scene is better than anything in Picard

The final episode of season 2 is next week.

Dare I say the first season is better than this trash? That's saying something  ::) :o
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #478 on: May 01, 2022, 12:40:33 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #479 on: May 01, 2022, 07:05:12 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Double points, actor being in both a Hellraiser and a Star Trek.