Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 189867 times)

Bebpo

Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #1920 on: May 01, 2021, 03:18:50 PM »
I sure hope Deathloop is more of a rogue-lite and accessible than this. I love Dishonored so I'd really like to be able to actually finish Deathloop. There's no way I will ever finish Returnal unless it gets ported to PC and I can use a trainer. Hell I'll be surprised if I ever see the 3rd world.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1921 on: May 01, 2021, 10:09:16 PM »
Yeah from videos, the shooting looks really fun, but i can't stand rough-like shit, tbh.
It's one thing in a game that's completely arcade, like Nex Machina, i usually play those like you'd play tetris, just fire it up, shoot a bit until you die, and turn off.

But if there's major progression involved, it's annoying to me.

Svejk

« Reply #1922 on: May 02, 2021, 04:16:35 AM »
Returnal is trippy af.  This is one of the most unique games I've played in awhile.  This game is the offspring of Sam Gideon making babies with Samus Aran. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1923 on: May 02, 2021, 06:48:38 AM »
All this talk about Metroid / Returnal might lead to me impulse buying a PS5 :doge
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1924 on: May 02, 2021, 06:52:55 AM »
All this talk about Metroid / Returnal might lead to me impulse buying a PS5 :doge
Thankfully the shortages prevent impulse buying of anything electronic!

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #1925 on: May 02, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »
Thanks for the impressions Bebs
jon

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1926 on: May 02, 2021, 05:09:13 PM »
Sam Gideon making babies with Samus Aran.

:shaq
◕‿◕

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1927 on: May 02, 2021, 05:11:32 PM »
Thankfully the shortages prevent impulse buying of anything electronic!
From what I'm hearing of this game it sounds cool but the tales of it crashing lots and people losing runs due to no auto save makes me fine with waiting for the time being.
Hi

naff

« Reply #1928 on: May 02, 2021, 05:16:27 PM »
lack of autosave feels like v misguided pandering to teh hardcore gamers. i hear the infamous REST MODE lets you stop a run midway and resume so long as your console doesn't error and have to rebuild the db coming out of rest
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1929 on: May 02, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »
slightly understandable not wanting people to save scum with cloud saves, but also it's a single player game. who gives a fuck
◕‿◕

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #1930 on: May 03, 2021, 08:06:56 PM »
Yeah, I got through the first three biomes of the game to complete act 1 and it took three and a half hours. I was ready to quit after about an hour but didn't wanna lose my progress or trust rest mode to actually work. I haven't picked it back up since. Ain't nobody got time fo dat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1931 on: May 05, 2021, 03:40:25 AM »
Yeah I don't think this game is for me. Or rather this genre is for me. The gunplay and shump gameplay are excellent. Really frenetic stuff, some of the best TPS since Vanquish.

It just feels like a giant waste of time to me when you lose all your progress if you die. I don't get it.

Also playing this game feels like it's holding my Playstation hostage. It's kind of an exhausting game, but I guess if I stop and turn it off I lose my character build.

Bebpo

« Reply #1932 on: May 05, 2021, 03:54:58 AM »
The concept of Rogues is that they're supposed to be like playing a game at the arcade with one quarter and seeing how far you can get, except you also have a lot of quarters so you keep replaying and improving at the game and getting further.

The only thing is that the longer these games are like Returnal's 5-6 hours for a single run the less this works in that concept. Though at least Returnal has shortcuts for the biomes.

Svejk

« Reply #1933 on: May 05, 2021, 07:35:22 AM »
There's another update today, so they're already telling folks to turn off auto-updates if you're in the middle of a run.   :doge

They have too much riding on this game to not address these concerns in some form or fashion sooner than later. 

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1934 on: May 05, 2021, 06:01:03 PM »
I guess you are right. I’ve thought a lot today about how I want to get home and try another run.

Svejk

« Reply #1935 on: May 05, 2021, 07:08:52 PM »
Aaand the update got rolled back because it was corrupting saves.  :snoop  Glad I haven't started this game yet.

naff

« Reply #1936 on: May 05, 2021, 07:43:34 PM »
feels like they were onto a real winner w returnal and bungled it to the point it's probably going to lose momentum and peter out as a critically welcomed, niche oddity. lf to picking it up in the bargain bin :p
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #1937 on: May 05, 2021, 07:45:46 PM »
lol

I turned off auto-updates because the weakest cheats ever that were discovered today I want to keep. They don't really help much besides letting you get a better gun (which I guess does help a lot) since you can build up proficiency to like 5-15 and then create a gun at that rank to use for the rest of the level/boss and you can switch weapons. Also lets you access the pay 2 win LE weapon that apparently destroys bosses early in the game instead of endgame only.

There's also a cheat to warp you back to ship, but since you can do that from any teleport spot doesn't seem like much of a difference. The gun cheat seems like the only helpful cheat. Too bad there's no SAVE GAME cheat.

Will give the game another attempt this weekend with the cheats and see if I can clear it and move on.

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #1938 on: May 05, 2021, 10:11:22 PM »
It was really strange seeing an official dev's twitter literally telling players to not update the game if they wanted to "save" their progress

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1939 on: May 05, 2021, 10:11:34 PM »
Who still believes Ragnarok and the new Horizon game comin out this year?  :doge
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #1940 on: May 05, 2021, 10:23:18 PM »
Horizon 2 sure, likely their big holiday title.

GT7 and GoW maybe next year.

Svejk

« Reply #1941 on: May 05, 2021, 10:23:42 PM »
Horizon? Sure .. GOW2? Eh, not so much.  That sounds like a Spring of 2022 launch the earliest.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1942 on: May 05, 2021, 10:52:37 PM »
Horizon is confirmed cross gen, could they really release a cross gen title in 2022? Although with this shortage, that's not absurd.

naff

« Reply #1943 on: May 05, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »
surely cross gen shouldn't be an issue anymore, like a game running on a pc with a 4690k and a 1060 or a 3090 and a new ryzen and features scaling appropriately. can imagine x-gen being a thing for a lot longer, esp with the pro/x model consoles. no reason not to sell a janky low res 30fps version of the game unless they're worried about bad press
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #1944 on: May 06, 2021, 12:56:10 AM »
I sure hope they show some actual real gameplay stuff from GoW and GT at E3 this summer, otherwise I don't even know if 2022 is realistic for those...

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1945 on: May 06, 2021, 02:59:45 AM »
HZD came out in early 2017 and the DLC later that year. The sequel coming out this year isn't completely crazy, but I don't think it's necessarily a given. GoW, highly doubt it.

Bebpo

« Reply #1946 on: May 06, 2021, 03:11:09 AM »
Given that it's multiplatform, it's probably gonna be more of an iterative sequel. 3-4 years is plenty of time and Guerilla is pretty efficient.

Remember Horizon 2 was planned to be out Summer 2021 so like...next month. Even with a slight delay I think it'll make it by November.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1947 on: May 06, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
I sure hope they show some actual real gameplay stuff from GoW and GT at E3 this summer, otherwise I don't even know if 2022 is realistic for those...

Isn't Sony skipping E3 tho? I'm sure they'll have some sort of Sony direct around then tho

I think GoW:Ragnarok is likely going to reuse a lot of assets/locations from the last game so it might be farther along than people think.
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1948 on: May 06, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »
Ratchet - June
Horizon - September
God of War - November/December

Something like this would be my guess.
Horizon already had a gameplay trailer and GOW could indeed be a continuation of what they did with the PS4 game.
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1949 on: May 06, 2021, 06:13:20 PM »
I feel like September is too soon for a game we have basically seen fuck all of; marketing/promoting AAA titles isn't done that way. I think Nov/Dec is more likely for Horizon, probably Q2 of 2022 for Ragnarok

(still better than the exclusives on the Xboxen)
yar

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1950 on: May 06, 2021, 06:37:12 PM »
I feel like September is too soon for a game we have basically seen fuck all of; marketing/promoting AAA titles isn't done that way. I think Nov/Dec is more likely for Horizon, probably Q2 of 2022 for Ragnarok

(still better than the exclusives on the Xboxen)

What exclusives 😏
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1951 on: May 06, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »
Horizon as a Holiday title would be great, but it’s not going to surprise me if it’s like a March 2022 title. GoW no way is coming out anytime soon.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1952 on: May 07, 2021, 07:32:50 AM »
PS5 is getting a redesign, but according to the article, it's just for internal components.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/playstation-5-redesign-will-enter-production-in-2022-new-report-claims/
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1953 on: May 07, 2021, 03:17:29 PM »
PS5 is getting a redesign, but according to the article, it's just for internal components.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/playstation-5-redesign-will-enter-production-in-2022-new-report-claims/

I'm highly dubious about those claims, simply because as far as I know, all AMD shit is being fabricated by TSMC and of the two fab options (the other being Samsung) TSMC is apparently BY FAR more hammered and able to output less product than its partners want. But if this is a new 6nm process maybe that will make a difference? I would imagine there'd still be competition for parts even if the fab process is different but I don't know 100% for sure.

If Sony wants to impress me they'll start selling the consoles in black like God intended. I had to buy a can of fucking plastidip and spend an afternoon spraying that shit outdoors because I wasn't about to sully my house with white electronics if I can help it.
yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1954 on: May 07, 2021, 07:04:01 PM »
Don’t know if I’ll finish Returnal as it is a decent challenge and rogue likes are not my thing.

But so far the game is incredibly fun. It’s tense and always surprising. Brings out the best of the fly impulse thinking shooting.

Bebpo

« Reply #1955 on: May 08, 2021, 12:46:06 AM »
So after a 70 min run attempt for the first time in a week on Returnal I died on the mini-boss with my pistol because was trying to wait until I had a high proficiency to pick up weapon chests and didn't even get back to the boss and rageeeeed.

Then I used the cheats. I didn't realize the ship teleport cheat actually respawns the map while keeping all your stuff. So you can keep running the first biome map over and over and powering up money, weapon proficiency, max HP.

I got to the Biome 1 boss again with weapon 6star, 160% max hp, an astronaut, an HP pack and like 500 money leftover.

Turns out I didn't need any of that stuff because this being the 2nd time I've tried the boss (well 3rd because I used the respawn on my 1st attempt for 2 tries), I knew its patterns and only got hit like once in the fight lulz.

Then I got to biome 2 and walked through a green force field into a no-dash lava bit with lasers that was draining my HP and was totally bullshit about to gotcha kill me when I just used the cheat to respawn at my ship and put it in rest mode.

I guess I'll try to clear the damn thing this weekend before tackling RE8. I like the combat but bullshit stuff like that is ridiculous in a game where you can lose hours of run progress. Also the biomes are too big & long. I want to try to finish the game but spending an hour each level is just too much.

Bebpo

« Reply #1956 on: May 08, 2021, 02:55:02 AM »
Got to the platforming bit on the boss of Biome 3 and died and deleted the game. Just not enjoying this. Some bits are really frustrating (shielded enemies, stuff like that platforming bit) and having to lose so much progress each death is not my kind of thing.

Will youtube biomes 4-6 to see what the rest looks like. But this was a miss for my tastes.

Bebpo

« Reply #1957 on: May 08, 2021, 04:26:01 AM »
Gave it another shot and spent an hour and couldn't even get back to the boss of biome 3. The drones and their homing missiles fucked up two attempts after 20+ mins in about 10 seconds of homing missile barrages. These enemies suck. There's a whole reddit thread on them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/n3dv16/drones/

Svejk

« Reply #1958 on: May 08, 2021, 01:06:52 PM »
FINALLY beat Demon's Souls last night!!  :rejoice Game is freakin' amazing.  Loved it! 

And Finally started a Returnal run last night at 3am... Played about 30 minutes... Get up today, my son decides, on all days, to play something on the PS5.  :dead. I was hesitant on letting him, But saw there was another update this morning, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.  :foxx Maybe like Cyberpunk, I should wait till this game is ironed out some.   :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #1959 on: May 08, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »
Congrats! Demon's Souls is so good.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1960 on: May 09, 2021, 09:08:55 PM »
These Retrunal boss battles are making me remember as kid getting really focused and remembering attack patterns.

In one run I was able to get through 2nd and 3rd biomes. Intense stuff. The boss battles have been pretty fun. So now I'm on act 2.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 09:23:16 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Svejk

« Reply #1961 on: May 12, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP. “There’s an incredible amount of variety originating from different regions,” Hulst says. “Big, small, different genres.”
https://www.wired.com/story/playstation-5-six-months-later/
 :obama

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1962 on: May 12, 2021, 06:01:22 PM »
That’s a whole lot of third-person over-the-shoulder action adventures.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1963 on: May 12, 2021, 06:11:06 PM »

Hopefully starring sad dads
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1964 on: May 13, 2021, 01:36:52 AM »
I mean they have a limited number of teams anyway, so that number means whatever.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1965 on: May 13, 2021, 01:53:59 AM »
Fuck yeah

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1966 on: May 13, 2021, 02:19:18 AM »
I’ve been talking a fair bit of shit on Sony lately, but if instead of just more endless Ass Creed-em-ups one of those games is a new Jumping Flash, I’ll eat my words and get back on the train.

Svejk

« Reply #1967 on: May 13, 2021, 07:35:20 AM »
I’ve been talking a fair bit of shit on Sony lately, but if instead of just more endless Ass Creed-em-ups one of those games is a new Jumping Flash, I’ll eat my words and get back on the train.
I don't see them making a full-on, stand alone jumping flash.. if they did, it would have to have VR integrated to make it stand alone (same with GITS  :lawd).... However, I can very easily see them having a homage to JF in Astrobot Rescue Mission 2.  :ohyeah

naff

◕‿◕

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1969 on: May 13, 2021, 07:30:43 PM »
give us this

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1970 on: May 13, 2021, 07:50:07 PM »
They did for the PS4 so maybe.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1971 on: May 13, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #1972 on: May 15, 2021, 03:10:22 PM »
Had a good sesh in Returnal last night.  Got past the first boss the second attempt pretty easily.  Died once in the second biome, but got past the second boss first try.  Totally had a good adrenaline streak and just ripped through enemies.  Had to stop at the 3rd biome for the night and will pick up there tonight.  Not sure why I haven't put two and two together, but this game is really starting to give me PN03 vibes... Just swap the sass with eerie grit.  :heh   This game is good stuff.

Beezy

« Reply #1973 on: May 17, 2021, 02:52:43 PM »
Not sure why I haven't put two and two together, but this game is really starting to give me PN03 vibes... Just swap the sass with eerie grit.
Sold

Svejk

« Reply #1974 on: May 17, 2021, 03:11:12 PM »
This game hasn't really been that hard (so far).  Sure, there's challenge, but anyone that's played a videogame from the 8-bit/16-bit era should feel ok with "starting over" when you die.  The important stuff you permanently keep.  This isn't Soulslike hard, just old-school arcade style tough... But upgrading your weapon to suit your play style, you can shred through enemies with ease.  I've died twice in the 3rd biome only because of doing stupid shit I could've easily avoided.
It was a good incentive to put it down and move onto another game for the remainder of my playtime.  Will pick up and play again next sesh... That being said, I'm starting to think the questionable save mechanic is a bit blown out of proportion.  I'd like to see it remedied still, but not as bad as some folks make it out to be... It shouldn't deter someone from trying this game.  If you want fast paced, sci-fi, pew pew pew goodness, ..this game is it.

Bebpo

« Reply #1975 on: May 17, 2021, 03:25:12 PM »
It's not that hard it's just that if you die you lose so much progress and it's a pain in the ass.

I got to the boss of biome 3 on a good run where I cleared biome 2 on the first try and got there. But I died on the boss on the final part because it was confusing with the platforms disappearing and I didn't know what to do and now if I ever want to retry that fight I have to spend 40-60 mins to get back for another attempt and I just don't want to spend that much time where I might die again and make no further progress.

I've tried speedrunning back to the boss in 10-20 mins but I always die in biome 3 on the way because this game is horrible for speedrunning and will murder the crap out of you. The drones would always show up in a huge pack and kill me if I rushed.

If there were at least saves and I could start at the beginning of Biome 3 each time with my loadout I had when I first got to the boss then it'd only take me 5-10 mins to get back for another try and I'd keep fighting the boss until I cleared it. But the rogue-way it is where I have to spend an hour for 1 more attempt just isn't worth it to me.

Returnal is solid but it's the worst game I've bought this year for my tastes. Definitely regret the $70. Maybe would've been ok at $20-30.

Svejk

« Reply #1976 on: May 17, 2021, 04:04:18 PM »
If there were at least saves and I could start at the beginning of Biome 3 each time with my loadout I had when I first got to the boss then it'd only take me 5-10 mins to get back for another try and I'd keep fighting the boss until I cleared it. But the rogue-way it is where I have to spend an hour for 1 more attempt just isn't worth it to me.
I mean, I agree... that would make it much more tolerable.  Especially from me saying that, who complains all the time about not having enough time for gaming.  :-[  Granted, I only have about 6-8 hours logged in, it hasn't gotten stale yet.  Gotten new weapon upgrades each time I've played, so it's felt fresh still.  But also, I feel I've been lucky with certain randomizations.  One of those 2 times I died in biome 3, the gates to the 2nd biome were only 2 little hubs from my crash site, so I got there in less than a minute.   It's very possible I haven't played nearly enough though for it to start affecting me.   Again, I hope they do something soon, because I can't really imagine going through it all when getting to 6th biome tier runs.   I'm sure by then I'll be carrying a different tune.  :doge  Still loving the gameplay immensely.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1977 on: May 17, 2021, 05:32:59 PM »
I really don't get the appeal of rogue-likes.
I get it's supposed to mimic the arcade experience, but that has always been a miserable one for me, when i was kid.
I mean i loved going to the arcade of course, but because you'd go with friends, and they'd have these unique games, or premium cabinets with bike peripherals, car seats, guns etc.... not because you had to spend a fortune to get through a couple of levels.  ???

Even in Souls games, which aren't even rogue-like, the worst part is doing the little gauntlet before retrying a boss.
Usually it's just tedious to me.

naff

« Reply #1978 on: May 17, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »
You get better each iteration, you improve, but things also change enough that it's not the same. A distillation of what heaps of popular games that focus on "replayability" rely on like playing a multiplayer FPS or a multiplayer crpg like Diablo. Repeating a gameplay loop, improving, getting a little further, doing it a little faster etc. Roguelikes are just the og.
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1979 on: May 17, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »
Uhm, yeah maybe the illusion of halted progression is what puts people who don't like RL off.
Because i can play a game with no apparent progression (like Trackmania or PES or even Nex Machina) and have fun with no problem.

Though thinking about it, something like Souls just isn't fun to pop in and play for 10 minutes, like these other games are.
Dunno where Returnal falls into that spectrum.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:44:22 PM by Don Rumata »