Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 192064 times)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #2160 on: July 31, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »
people have been saying that every year i've been on gaming forums. and then half gets delayed, and half of what is left turns out to be a bit shit

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2161 on: July 31, 2021, 02:12:46 PM »
2024 :lawd
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2162 on: July 31, 2021, 02:43:21 PM »
people have been saying that every year i've been on gaming forums. and then half gets delayed, and half of what is left turns out to be a bit shit
FWIW, i'm not at all hyped for God of War or Horizon in the first place.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2163 on: July 31, 2021, 05:46:57 PM »
That’s what we said about 2021 last year  :goty
tbf it was well on it's way before Covid fucked everything up.

2022 might be 2017 redux  :drool I just hope Nintendo and Sony can spread out Zelda and Horizon by more than a few days this time.  :lol

Svejk

« Reply #2164 on: July 31, 2021, 06:00:53 PM »
That’s what we said about 2021 last year  :goty
tbf it was well on it's way before Covid fucked everything up.

2022 might be 2017 redux  :drool I just hope Nintendo and Sony can spread out Zelda and Horizon by more than a few days this time.  :lol
Plus Nier Automata around then too... That shit was nuts with choice nug games dropping.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2165 on: August 01, 2021, 03:12:16 AM »
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1421163370061910032

I like how Grubb's a "rumour" that is "confirmed" by Schreieieiieier's anonymous source :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2166 on: August 01, 2021, 07:27:06 AM »
There's just too many games coming in 2022: KOFXV, Elden Ring, Gotham Knights, Horizon 2, Splatoon 3, Pokemon Legends, Dragon Age, Starfield, Metroid Prime 4, God of War...
Some of it will get delayed or you're looking at 1998 + 2007 + 2013 + 2017. Between PC/Xbox/PS5 there's about 50+ big releases scheduled, up to 80+ if you count the annual sports games and indies and projects rumored for a 2022 release (like the new Bioshock).
Plus a ton of DLC for games released this year and last year like Assassins Creed Valhalla.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2167 on: August 01, 2021, 07:43:46 AM »
I'm mentally adding on 6 months to a year to any release date anyway, aside from annual sports titles :trumps

Activision haven't even announced a new COD afaik :titus
(ice)

Let's Cyber

« Reply #2168 on: August 01, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
Plus Nier Automata around then too... That shit was nuts with choice nug games dropping.
And Persona 5 in April. It was a bonkers 4 months to start the year.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2169 on: August 01, 2021, 03:48:00 PM »
I would bet lots of American dollars on MP4, Starfield, Dragon Age, and probably God of War all being delayed.

Locks from that list for 2022 imo are: Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West, probably Splatoon 3. I guess Pokemon Legends but I don't pay attention to Pokemon games because I am not a child, literally or at heart, so I don't fucking care. I'm fully aware plenty do but it's just not my bag.

I would also be surprised if BotW2 releases next year, but with Nintendo you really just never fucking know.
yar

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2170 on: August 01, 2021, 04:07:00 PM »
unfortunately pokemon legends looks like ass, but I'm definitely keen on a pokemon arpg
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2171 on: August 01, 2021, 06:30:32 PM »
I would bet lots of American dollars on MP4, Starfield, Dragon Age, and probably God of War all being delayed.
Something like Starfield would boost GamePass. I think we will see a lot of games launch in the first 6 months of 2022 and depending on how those perform the publishers will either open the flood gates or spread them out well into 2023.
Overall Nintendo has ample room to drop all their games througout the year. More interesting is if long delayed or early announced titles like Bayo 3, Ghostwire Tokyo and Pragmata surface.
🤴

Raist

« Reply #2172 on: August 01, 2021, 06:50:02 PM »
I have the new sn850 western digital black drive on order for a pc I'm building, but a friend just said he can get Samsung 980 evo pro's on sale as well though a partner deal w his office. afaik these are the only two nvme drives worth considering rn. might keep the black order and grab a pro 1tb also....

Confirmed

https://twitter.com/cerny/status/1421686135936348161

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2173 on: August 01, 2021, 07:41:11 PM »
2022 is gonna be a banger

The big one for me is Trails from Zero... then 2023 it'll be Azure, Nayuta, and Reverie... '23 is gonna be an amazing year as a Falcom fan. Hopefully we'll also get news of the long-overdue Ys 5 remake too during that time.
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2174 on: August 01, 2021, 08:29:13 PM »
Something like Starfield would boost GamePass. I think we will see a lot of games launch in the first 6 months of 2022 and depending on how those perform the publishers will either open the flood gates or spread them out well into 2023.
Overall Nintendo has ample room to drop all their games througout the year. More interesting is if long delayed or early announced titles like Bayo 3, Ghostwire Tokyo and Pragmata surface.

Starfield is a Bethesda game with no gameplay footage ready to be shown at E3 this year. We know fuck all about it aside from that it exists and supposedly it will be released next November. Of all those 4 games, I would bet the most that it will be delayed.
yar

naff

« Reply #2175 on: August 01, 2021, 11:27:07 PM »
I have the new sn850 western digital black drive on order for a pc I'm building, but a friend just said he can get Samsung 980 evo pro's on sale as well though a partner deal w his office. afaik these are the only two nvme drives worth considering rn. might keep the black order and grab a pro 1tb also....

Confirmed

https://twitter.com/cerny/status/1421686135936348161

lol, i can't imagine that heatsink being necessary for regular gaming, but we'll see i guess i think sony are just covering their bases mentioning the heatsink shit. pretty hard to overheat an ssd unless you're video editing or something else that puts it under sustained continuous load (gaming is more random r/w speed matters/short burts of speed streaming in data etc).

i would also be surprised if there was any in game/noticeable difference between any of the gen4 ssd's currently available. longevity is another story but in terms of performance buy whatever
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2176 on: August 01, 2021, 11:35:45 PM »
very funny sony took sooooo long to support this and still haven't got a playstation branded drive to launch with it for consumers not au fait with buying pc parts, or at least an official portal linking to drives like "buy these"
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2177 on: August 02, 2021, 02:50:01 AM »
I mean it's just like the PS4.

PS4 took forever to support expanded storage. Is there an official portal to what the PS4 supports? Is there anything official beyond some Segate HDDs that are blue and have the logo for $10 more?

naff

« Reply #2178 on: August 02, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
also quite a janky solution. m$ once again showing them how it's done. sure, the peak r/w bandwidth is a little lower, but they sustain similar speeds after the initial peak, random r/w seems p similar or maybe even better and the drives are easily hot swappable using a great connector (same connection RED use for their production cameras)
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2179 on: August 03, 2021, 03:05:13 AM »
But MS requires you to use proprietary format, no?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2180 on: August 03, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »

PS4 took forever to support expanded storage. Is there an official portal to what the PS4 supports? Is there anything official beyond some Segate HDDs that are blue and have the logo for $10 more?

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps4-upgrade-hdd/

You can use any hard disk of the correct form factor, doesn’t need to be Sony. The Sony website only fails to make a differentiation between what type of system download you need to get it working. Otherwise, if you have a great reading comprehension, the whole thing is really simple.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 03:19:48 PM by chronovore »

naff

« Reply #2181 on: August 03, 2021, 05:29:52 PM »

not sure what you mean? i assume it uses their proprietary ntfs format like windows yeah
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2182 on: August 03, 2021, 05:41:04 PM »
all im saying is m$ nailed it with an easily hot swappable solution akin to a modern memory card whereas sony have gone with an nvme slot they expect you to buy an off the shelf gen4 nvme drive with a heatsink for but have no guidance/transparency on what drives they've tested, what heatsinks are appropriate etc. confusing for consoomer.

it's only in beta anyway, im sure they'll come out with more info it's just a bit of a clusterfuck imo
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2183 on: August 03, 2021, 06:29:45 PM »
From a Pushsquare article

The most important thing is whether your heatsink will fit. It can't exceed 110 x 25 x 11.25 millimetres in size, and must not take up more than 2 millimetres beneath the SSD and 8 millimetres above it.

No mention of any of this anywhere via official Sony channels -_- the only gen4 nvme drive available here (corsair mp600) with a heatsink pre-installed would not fit this.
◕‿◕

Raist

« Reply #2184 on: August 04, 2021, 02:02:55 AM »

not sure what you mean? i assume it uses their proprietary ntfs format like windows yeah

He meant there's only the one proprietary drive option from MS, can't use anything "off the shelf".

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2185 on: August 04, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »

The most important thing is whether your heatsink will fit. It can't exceed 110 x 25 x 11.25 millimetres in size, and must not take up more than 2 millimetres beneath the SSD and 8 millimetres above it.

No mention of any of this anywhere via official Sony channels -_- the only gen4 nvme drive available here (corsair mp600) with a heatsink pre-installed would not fit this.
Can't you order an Aorus Gen4 SSD? I have one of those without a heatsink because my board had slots with built-in heatsinks.
A number of brands have models both with and without heatsinks.

Plus in most cases the heatsinks are detachable to accomodate for the high-end boards. Same with the MP600.
The heatsink on the MP600 has been well designed so it can be easily detached so that the drive can make use of a motherboard’s own M.2 cooling system if it has one fitted or if space is at a premium. To remove the heatsink is just a matter of releasing the four clips that hold the heatsink to the backing cradle.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2186 on: August 04, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »
Man, I can't wait to drop a 2TB drive in this thing for all these new PS5 games I want to play.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2187 on: August 04, 2021, 03:41:34 PM »

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps4-upgrade-hdd/

You can use any hard disk of the correct form factor, doesn’t need to be Sony. The
If website only fails to make a differentiation between what type of system download you need to get it working. Otherwise, if you have a great reading comprehension, the whole thing is really simple.
I was mistaken then and yeah adding storage on the PS5 seems more annoying.

A shame as I like having everything installed. Hopefully as things mature the prices and ease becomes easier.

naff

« Reply #2188 on: August 04, 2021, 05:45:52 PM »

Can't you order an Aorus Gen4 SSD? I have one of those without a heatsink because my board had slots with built-in heatsinks.
A number of brands have models both with and without heatsinks.

Plus in most cases the heatsinks are detachable to accomodate for the high-end boards. Same with the MP600.
The heatsink on the MP600 has been well designed so it can be easily detached so that the drive can make use of a motherboard’s own M.2 cooling system if it has one fitted or if space is at a premium. To remove the heatsink is just a matter of releasing the four clips that hold the heatsink to the backing cradle.

sony are saying you need a heatsink, but not saying anything about the specs for said heatsink. yes i can easily buy a separate gen4 nvme drive and heatsink, i am used to buying pc components (though i would have to ask a clerk to measure the heatsink or do it myself in store lol). also the aorus gen4 drive doesn't meet sony specs (only 5GB read, sub 5 write) and is already notorious for failures (though it would probably be fine)
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2189 on: August 04, 2021, 06:15:53 PM »
It's funny to me watching people freak out about this shit but then I remember that so few of you console only dirt people have ever built a computer.

:snob
yar

naff

« Reply #2190 on: August 04, 2021, 06:51:35 PM »
lol, i build pc's. this is just shitty product delivery imho

seen this meme a bunch among the discourse on twitter

extra funny given sony are saying installing a naked nvme drive will likely result in it thermally throttling. lots of people are clearly confused.

i have an sn850 at home and a 980 pro on the way. will test this shid at some point once i find a compatible heatsink :p
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2191 on: August 04, 2021, 07:36:35 PM »
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2192 on: August 04, 2021, 07:41:47 PM »
In roughly 2 years when enough new PS5 games I want to own are out, I'll buy a NVMe drive for it. At that point I'm sure any issues will have been at least noticed, probably not fixed tho lol.

tbh I'm way more curious about how easy it will be to stick a larger drive in a Steam Deck and if it will void any warranty the thing ships with.
yar

naff

« Reply #2193 on: August 04, 2021, 07:55:41 PM »
im so keen for a couple extra tb's, my drive is stacked and im always shuffling things. obviously the majority of my library is ps4 content, but i also don't like deleting content i installed from disc like demon's souls and FFVIIr seemed to take around half an hour to install but maybe that was also just me being extremely impatient. i don't play either game much any more, but every few weeks i will jump back in and play a few hours of a new char or ng+ in demon's souls or some VIIr hard mode. from those ive read that have been testing this, it is pretty stable and not causing rest mode bugs and stuff like the external drives were
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2194 on: August 04, 2021, 08:37:12 PM »
more testing https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22608153/ps5-ssd-speed-test-storage-expansion-m2-playstation-5

just sequential read/initial load times but still kinda interesting vs the actual in game random read times for in game loading where i would assume nearly all gen4 drives are relatively equal (though wd black, samsung and seagate firecuda drives all clearly come out on top in pc testing)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:46:49 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2195 on: August 05, 2021, 02:45:27 AM »
It's funny to me watching people freak out about this shit but then I remember that so few of you console only dirt people have ever built a computer.

:snob
It's not that I think it's hard. I had to put a nvme and other ssds into my computer. I do think it should be plug in go because it's a console, but I also think it should be painless to know what to buy.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2196 on: August 05, 2021, 05:25:17 AM »

🤴

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #2197 on: August 05, 2021, 08:06:18 AM »
This is what happens when you turn everything into a touchscreen app.

Bring back the good old days of screwdrivers, soldering irons, and queueing for patches on GamersHell.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #2198 on: August 05, 2021, 08:07:08 AM »
Make 'em flash the bios when the install a new SSD. That'll teach 'em.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Bebpo

« Reply #2199 on: August 05, 2021, 01:30:13 PM »
Yeah, I modded all my old systems for region-free through like PS2/Dreamcast. My favorite mods were where you had an actual switch installed in the back to switch between regions. My Saturn has that.

Raist

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2201 on: August 07, 2021, 02:07:45 PM »
yar

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2202 on: August 08, 2021, 12:29:24 AM »
Yeah, I modded all my old systems for region-free through like PS2/Dreamcast. My favorite mods were where you had an actual switch installed in the back to switch between regions. My Saturn has that.
I fried my first Xbox soldering it in 2004. Called it a learning experience. An expensive one now that I look back on it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2203 on: August 09, 2021, 12:32:40 PM »
hard mods :scust

soft mods  :bernie
fat

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2204 on: August 10, 2021, 06:59:01 PM »
After 9 months, I've finally secured this baby  :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #2205 on: August 10, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »

I was about to congratulate you on the birth of your child, then re-read the thread title. :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2206 on: August 10, 2021, 09:41:00 PM »

I was about to congratulate you on the birth of your child, then re-read the thread title. :lol
Looking at the prices on ebay, probably what you'd have to exchange for one.

Svejk

« Reply #2207 on: August 20, 2021, 07:49:54 AM »
Ghost of Tsushima DC/PS5 version out today.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2208 on: August 25, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »
Horizon Forbidden West has a release date of 2/18/22 apparently
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #2209 on: August 25, 2021, 05:47:51 PM »
Everything is getting announced for that week at the same time. Very odd. Saints Row, KoF15, Horizon 2. Normally stuff comes out at the end of the fiscal late March.

Bebpo

« Reply #2210 on: August 25, 2021, 05:56:06 PM »
Horizon 1 is now 60fps on PS5 BC

I still need to play it before H2, was going to go PC version for 60fps, but I already own the PS4 version so this is probably good enough for me.

Raist

« Reply #2211 on: August 25, 2021, 06:08:07 PM »
Everything is getting announced for that week at the same time. Very odd. Saints Row, KoF15, Horizon 2. Normally stuff comes out at the end of the fiscal late March.

Late March is the traditional Kratos Time.

Svejk

« Reply #2212 on: August 25, 2021, 06:15:30 PM »
Also Elden Ring time too..  :lawd

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2213 on: August 25, 2021, 06:19:37 PM »

I would be shocked if God of War II: Ragnarok Boogaloo makes it out next year at all, but if it does it will probably be Novemberish.
yar

Raist

« Reply #2214 on: August 25, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »
It will be announced for March 2022.

Then delayed to March 2023 of course.

Bebpo

« Reply #2215 on: August 25, 2021, 06:37:30 PM »

I would be shocked if God of War II: Ragnarok Boogaloo makes it out next year at all, but if it does it will probably be Novemberish.

It'll be their fall/winter game.

Unless Spider-Man 2 is ready. Then it'll get delayed because Spider-Man sells more.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #2216 on: August 26, 2021, 03:48:30 AM »
I was going to say it's impossible the spider-man sequel is ready next year but at the rate Insomniac pumps out quality games, I don't know.  :lol

Let's Cyber

« Reply #2217 on: September 03, 2021, 12:58:17 AM »
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1433406942890930177

Tune in next Thursday, September 9 at 1:00pm Pacific Time / 9:00pm BST / 10:00pm CEST for a look into the future of PS5. The Showcase will weigh in at around 40 minutes and include updates from PlayStation Studios and some of the industry’s most imaginative developers, for games releasing this holiday and beyond. And stick around after the presentation to get more updates from some of the studio teams featured in the Showcase.

Svejk

« Reply #2218 on: September 03, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »
Horizon: FW is up for pre-order.  REEEEE is absolutely losing their minds over the pricing. It hurt my head just reading the whining.  Granted, it would be nice if it were a straight forward price around the board, but until this cross-gen nonsense stops, I expect them to continue this route. 

But speaking of H:FW, I'm a bit torn because I wouldn't mind having the PS4 version too for reasons.  I was ready to pay the now standard $70 for the PS5 version, but to pay $10 on top of that just to have the last gen one too is a bit hard to justify... granted, it does come with a bunch of other content, like a soundtrack, comicbook, artbook, and a handful of in game items, but I usually don't care about that crap.

What I do know for sure, is that I ain't pre-ordering shit till about a week from the supposed release.  Tired of getting burned on delays.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2219 on: September 03, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
Microsoft is doing it right. Sony is being greedy and arrogant as fuck.

Dunno why you would pretend this is a normal way of doing things, when smaller pubs give free upgrades for their games.
What