Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 192526 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #1980 on: May 17, 2021, 06:39:29 PM »
Well I do think the game is hard. They can throw some nasty deployment of enemies at you and in general you can get a run that doesn’t give you what you need or want.

But also the more you play the more you are aware of how enemies attack and how you want to engage in them. Also the more you play the more you do find yourself in the “zone”. It’s truly arcade in that way.

But I do think one of the problems with Returnal is it can be a slog. You die and there’s a lot of ground to cover to get back where you were. And the seams of the randomly generated world become even more obvious and less interesting.

It’s a good game, but perhaps also a case that this genre doesn’t need to be AAA. A lot of what I’ve read about this genre seems to be how pick and play and quick it is, which I don’t think really applies to this game. On a work day I don’t want to really spend all that time only to die and do it over.

That said, I spent plenty of runs trying to get past the fourth Biome and I did it last night. The game is a rush.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1981 on: May 17, 2021, 06:51:03 PM »
i was speaking generally to roguelikes because you were speaking generally. i haven't played returnal. tbh, i haven't gotten really into a roguelike in a while, but i used to love playing nethack with friends in the compsci labs, and i really enjoyed what i played of spelunky, FTL, enter the gungeon etc and yeah, souls games do riff on the genre too and is one of my favourite series. hades is in the backlog
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1982 on: May 17, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »
re returnal, i dont think people need to worry about it marking the beginning of a wealth of AAA roguelikes. shit is already selling for half the rrp 2nd hand here, i'll grab it when it's $30 is a year or so :p

im old and cbf with this shit either, but i also dont hate that someone gave it a crack. commercially it seems like they made a lot of really cooked decisions though, would've been so much more popular if it wasn't so oddly designed
◕‿◕

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1983 on: May 18, 2021, 07:39:12 AM »

Made me laugh. Oh well, back to playing Medievil remake at 60fps.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1984 on: May 18, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »
I wanted to shooty-bang some monsters so I bought Binding of Isaac: RTX On (Returnal). Did one run yesterday evening and made it to the Biome 1 boss and got killed. Seems fun.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1985 on: May 26, 2021, 04:14:37 PM »
Oh cool, my brother was keeping a lookout for PS5's for me and managed to secure one off Amazon. I'll still have to pay him, I told him I should've asked for it as a wedding gift but my fiancee would probably kill me :P

Think that Village, Intergrade, and Demons Souls HD will be my first titles... later Scarlet Nexus. Anything else worth picking up?
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #1986 on: May 26, 2021, 04:52:31 PM »
Oh cool, my brother was keeping a lookout for PS5's for me and managed to secure one off Amazon. I'll still have to pay him, I told him I should've asked for it as a wedding gift but my fiancee would probably kill me :P

Think that Village, Intergrade, and Demons Souls HD will be my first titles... later Scarlet Nexus. Anything else worth picking up?
And ASTROBOT ASTROBOT ASTROBOT ASTROBOT ASTROBOT!!!  :awesome

If you have PS+, definitely take advantage of the Plus Collection too.

Bebpo

« Reply #1987 on: May 26, 2021, 06:02:02 PM »

Miles is a solid game if you liked the PS4 Spider-Man. Also AC Valhalla looks and runs pretty awesome on PS5 if you like the AC western rpg thing.

But Demon Souls & Astrobot still the best. Also PS4 titles that got a 60fps boost if you haven't played them like Ghost of Tsushima.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1988 on: May 26, 2021, 06:18:12 PM »
Tsushima and God Of War are straight sex at 60 FPS. Never noticed any bad drops in either game.

I'm playing Valhalla right now and while it runs well at 60 most of the time, there is some bad screen tearing in the medium to large sized towns. Running around in Jorvik has nasty performance issues, for whatever reason.

Bebpo

« Reply #1989 on: May 26, 2021, 06:33:01 PM »
Tsushima and God Of War are straight sex at 60 FPS. Never noticed any bad drops in either game.

I'm playing Valhalla right now and while it runs well at 60 most of the time, there is some bad screen tearing in the medium to large sized towns. Running around in Jorvik has nasty performance issues, for whatever reason.

I noticed the tearing in Jorvik, but I've been playing 60fps mode for the last few months and haven't really noticed any tearing in England (I'm sure there's some, but it's not very noticable). I'm more than happy with the performance. Best an AC has run since Black Flag on consoles.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1990 on: May 27, 2021, 12:41:53 AM »

Miles is a solid game if you liked the PS4 Spider-Man. Also AC Valhalla looks and runs pretty awesome on PS5 if you like the AC western rpg thing.

But Demon Souls & Astrobot still the best. Also PS4 titles that got a 60fps boost if you haven't played them like Ghost of Tsushima.

I played one of the ACs back in the 360 days... think it was the second one? Felt a bit too sluggish movement-wise, and I am not really into the whole open world checkbox gaming game.
Totally forgot about Like A Dragon, was skipping the PS4 version bc of PS5... so I'll just buy it there. And maybe DMC and NiOh.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #1991 on: May 27, 2021, 12:46:44 AM »

I played one of the ACs back in the 360 days... think it was the second one? Felt a bit too sluggish movement-wise, and I am not really into the whole open world checkbox gaming game.
Totally forgot about Like A Dragon, was skipping the PS4 version bc of PS5... so I'll just buy it there. And maybe DMC and NiOh.

Oh yeah, Yakuza 7 is a good pick. Nioh is a good deal if you like Souls. DMCV is the best version of the game but depends on if you care about the genre. The story/levels/everything suck outside the combat imo, but the combat is pretty great.

archnemesis

« Reply #1992 on: May 27, 2021, 01:58:06 AM »
My PS5 showed up last week and I'm loving Returnal.

Svejk

« Reply #1993 on: May 27, 2021, 09:20:19 AM »
In Returnal, I've been stuck on Biome 3.  The mobs are brutal there...   A least once you get there, you can reach it in a matter of minutes, completely skipping Biome 2 every time afterwards; going from a level one gun to a level ten next pickup..  Read everywhere though that Biome 3 is the huge hurdle of the game with a very high difficulty spike.  You definitely want the best gun you're comfortable with.  Once past though, it should be smooth sailing the rest of the way. 

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1994 on: May 27, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
5h long screensaver before the actual stream :rejoice

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1995 on: May 27, 2021, 06:08:31 PM »
lol, no release date, this ain't coming out this year either
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #1996 on: May 27, 2021, 07:15:34 PM »
lol, no release date, this ain't coming out this year either

It's over?

Oh well, I wonder what Sony will have in store for the holidays if it's not this.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1997 on: May 27, 2021, 07:48:12 PM »
They're probably waiting for Nintendo and Microsoft to show more cards first. Last time they got swamped by BOTW and Nier Automata.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #1998 on: May 27, 2021, 11:16:47 PM »
Game looks stunning though.. They showed a bunch of improvements in combat and traversal, and that's what I wanted most.  Day flippin one. 

Now where the hell is the 60fps performance mode reveal and a ZD 60fps patch for PS5??  :hmph

Let's Cyber

« Reply #1999 on: May 28, 2021, 12:07:55 AM »
They've been weird with release dates, we didn't get a Returnal date until 2 months before release. 4 months for R&C. Miles Morales and Demon's Souls were November launch games but they didn't really reveal that until September of last year.

Deathloop is Sept, Ghostwire is October. I could still see Horizon being the Nov/Dec game.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2000 on: May 28, 2021, 12:24:51 AM »
I think them not revealing a release date and then saying it's on track is them legitimately not knowing. They are probably playing a wait-and-see game, if they can get it out this year they will. If they can't I expect a January-March 2022 date. Don't want to promise only to disappoint.

That said I thought it looked great. The human combat looks a little Souls for babies, but that's still a lot better than the shit human combat from the first game.

The new gadgets look cool and I can't wait to use them on the robo enemies, which look as fun as ever to fight. 

The graphics look very good. Great for a first-year cross gen title. Even if it's 30fps, the first game was one of the most solid feeling 30fps games of the last gen. I do hope there is a 60fps mode though.

Can't wait. Personally, Horizon was my favorite first party game.

Bebpo

« Reply #2001 on: May 28, 2021, 12:33:33 AM »
I’ll definitely play Horizon 1 whenever 2 is getting within months of release. One of the few big exclusives last gen I never got around to.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #2002 on: May 28, 2021, 12:45:28 AM »
As for the actual trailer...The hookshot looked neat, we needed more mobility options. I was kind of hoping for the anchor and rope tech from Death Stranding but the BotW style glider makes that moot. Super moves are a cool edition, the close combat with humans was the weakest part of the first game.

The underwater stuff looks unbelievable.   :hyper

MOTHER FUCKING ROBO RAPTOR MOUNTS:aah

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2003 on: May 28, 2021, 02:52:25 AM »
Graphics and raptors look cool.
The game looks kind of dated (design wise), in particular the traversal.

This the same issue Ghost of Tsushima, and to a degree the first Horizon, had.

TBH i expected something more exciting, but it is cross gen after all.
I like the setting much more though.

Bebpo

« Reply #2004 on: May 28, 2021, 08:56:02 AM »
Saw that the new Trails of game by Falcom this fall isn’t having a native ps5 version. Goddamn PS5 is a fucking mess over there. Sales so bad these companies are just releasing on PS4 and saying “use BC” and you know in a year or two they’ll release the native ps5 version.

Nier Replicant, TWEWY2, Trails of the Black, Japan ps4 Devs really dropping the ball. I think Tales of Arise is the only one getting a native ps5 version?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2005 on: May 28, 2021, 09:29:20 AM »
Saw that the new Trails of game by Falcom this fall isn’t having a native ps5 version. Goddamn PS5 is a fucking mess over there. Sales so bad these companies are just releasing on PS4 and saying “use BC” and you know in a year or two they’ll release the native ps5 version.

Nier Replicant, TWEWY2, Trails of the Black, Japan ps4 Devs really dropping the ball. I think Tales of Arise is the only one getting a native ps5 version?

Not surprised when it comes to Falcom TBH.  But for a lot of these games in general, what's the point?  PS4 games run on PS5 and nobody can get a PS5 anyway so they probably want to wait for a larger userbase.  It took a couple of years for a lot of games to stop releasing on the PS3 (or to only get PS4 releases instead of PS3/PS4) last gen, too.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #2006 on: May 28, 2021, 09:33:18 AM »
Falcom are Sony fanboys and they said last fall they were working on a ps5 game.

So this really looks like they got cold feet and are holding off on releasing it.

Ps5 native makes a difference for fast loading, dual sense, and 4k like how Nier Replicant is still 1080p/60fps in BC.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2007 on: May 28, 2021, 09:37:50 AM »
Falcom are Sony fanboys and they said last fall they were working on a ps5 game.

So this really looks like they got cold feet and are holding off on releasing it.

Again- Falcom.  :P

Ps5 native makes a difference for fast loading, dual sense, and 4k like how Nier Replicant is still 1080p/60fps in BC.

Prepare to be disappointed for another year or two.
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2008 on: May 28, 2021, 10:10:13 PM »
I'm sure Kuro will eventually get a PS5 up-port.. probably when it's finally time to release it over here.

Fuck, I'm still waiting on Hajimari (and holding out further hope that we get Crossbell and Nayuta Kai). If even goddamn Dragon Quest (the epitome of heavy-text games that are much more popular in Japan than the states) is getting worldwide same-day releases, Falcom could at least be a bit more receptive to their rapidly-expanding western fans. I heard a rumor that Falcom licenses their games out only after they've been on the market for at least a year in Japan, and then of course you have NIS or Xseed or whoever taking another year plus to translate. At least eliminate that rule and let the US team go ham as soon as the game has gone gold.
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2009 on: June 01, 2021, 12:00:44 PM »
Seems Returnal is going down in price pretty fast. Started at 75 euros over here, now you can get a new copy for 53.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2010 on: June 02, 2021, 03:46:18 AM »
Wow 53€ so cheap
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2011 on: June 02, 2021, 03:59:26 AM »
It is in this economy :trumps
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2012 on: June 02, 2021, 04:10:57 AM »
Laughs in glorious pc gaming
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2013 on: June 02, 2021, 05:03:26 AM »

And ASTROBOT ASTROBOT ASTROBOT ASTROBOT ASTROBOT!!!  :awesome

If you have PS+, definitely take advantage of the Plus Collection too.

What's the Plus Collection?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2014 on: June 02, 2021, 05:12:57 AM »

What's the Plus Collection?

A collection of games that gets added to a PS5 owners account when they subscribe to PS Plus.

Batman: Arkham Knight
    Battlefield 1
    Bloodborne
    Call of Duty Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles
    Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
    Days Gone
    Detroit: Become Human
    Fallout 4
    Final Fantasy XV
    God of War
    inFAMOUS: Second Son
    The Last Guardian
    The Last of Us Remastered
    Monster Hunter: World
    Mortal Kombat X
    Persona 5
    Ratchet & Clank
    Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    Until Dawn

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2015 on: June 02, 2021, 01:15:43 PM »
Miles Morales on PS4
Sackboy on PS4
Horizon 2 on PS4
God of War 2 on PS4
Gran Turismo 7 on PS4
Astrobot Playroom
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank

"We believe in generations"

"Play has No Limits"
fat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2016 on: June 02, 2021, 02:06:11 PM »
God of War delayed to 2022, Horizon release date "uncertain"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/2/22465232/god-of-war-ragnorok-ps5-ps4-delay-2022
yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2017 on: June 02, 2021, 02:31:08 PM »
Miles Morales on PS4
Sackboy on PS4
Horizon 2 on PS4
God of War 2 on PS4
Gran Turismo 7 on PS4
Astrobot Playroom
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank

"Play has No Limits"
Meanwhile on the Xbox family of consoles:

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2018 on: June 02, 2021, 02:48:52 PM »
Miles Morales on PS4
Sackboy on PS4
Horizon 2 on PS4
God of War 2 on PS4
Gran Turismo 7 on PS4
Astrobot Playroom
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank

"Play has No Limits"

I don't think anyone cares because of Gamepass.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2019 on: June 02, 2021, 02:51:57 PM »
Not like they have a choice.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2020 on: June 02, 2021, 02:52:24 PM »

MLB The Show 21 on Xbox GamePass
fat

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2021 on: June 02, 2021, 02:58:24 PM »
Miles Morales on PS4
Sackboy on PS4
Horizon 2 on PS4
God of War 2 on PS4
Gran Turismo 7 on PS4
Astrobot Playroom
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank

"Play has No Limits"

Can't piss people off with delays or cross-gen games if you're not making any :rollsafe

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2022 on: June 02, 2021, 03:03:14 PM »
They already delayed their one cross gen game by a year.

Bebpo

« Reply #2023 on: June 02, 2021, 03:06:05 PM »
The only thing I'm disappointed about is that God of War has always been a holy shit visual showoff game, and if it was ps5 exclusive I would expect it would be the best looking videogame in existence at release, even PC included.

As cross-gen though? Nah. Won't even be the best looking PS5 game most likely.

Maybe GoW3 in 2026/2027...

Bebpo

« Reply #2024 on: June 02, 2021, 03:09:08 PM »
I think for cross-gen titles they should go the old down-port by some other port studio making a whole different game just re-using assets.

They don't do that anymore, but that would make the most sense to not have new system games held back.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2025 on: June 02, 2021, 03:31:41 PM »
But think of the raytracing accurately reflecting of his bald head on the PS5. Higher quality volumetric lights wafting through his beard.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2026 on: June 02, 2021, 03:44:52 PM »
Maybe now GoW will have ray tracing at 60fps.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2027 on: June 02, 2021, 04:05:02 PM »
AMD's machine learning substitute (FSR) is getting rolled out to their pc video cards starting next month, and since both new systems use AMD gpus with the same RDNA2 architecture, the expectation is that it will come to consoles eventually too. Any delays might let them implement FSR to improve performance across the board (with raytracing on or off)
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2028 on: June 02, 2021, 04:10:14 PM »
Maybe now GoW will have ray tracing at 60fps.
Doesn't seem like a title that would benefit all that much from reflections, and ray traced GI is probably way to expensive for PS5.
Unless AMD plans to implement their super resolution thing on consoles?

Oh PS5 is not RDNA2, IIRC, only Series X is, i wonder if that's going to be a problem for it.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2029 on: June 02, 2021, 04:48:52 PM »
??? Do a google search on "PS5 RDNA2" or "PS5 GPU"
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2030 on: June 02, 2021, 04:56:18 PM »
PS5 should be using a custom hybrid between RDNA1 and 2.
While Series X uses standard RDNA2.

I doubt it'd be an issue if FSR was ever implemented on consoles though, since it should work on older AMD card too.

Bebpo

« Reply #2031 on: June 02, 2021, 05:10:17 PM »
DLSS and AMD's version will be a game changer in the console space for all the systems once they implement it.

The biggest issue is going to be the unlike PC there will likely be no way to turn it off and from using DLSS on PC, in some games the implementation is crappy and nukes the IQ. So I can see a whole generation of console exclusive games looking shitty because the devs don't know how to implement this stuff great or force it on the equivalent of performance > IQ DLSS and you can't turn it off.

When used correctly though, yeah 60fps/4k gaming with RTX and maxed out visuals.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2032 on: June 02, 2021, 05:25:55 PM »
Weird, most things I find either say "uhhh" or that the Oberon soc the PS5 is running on is using RDNA2. But who knows.

As for whether it matters, probably not since FSR will reportedly work even on shit as old as an NVIDIA 1060.
yar

thetylerrob

« Reply #2033 on: June 02, 2021, 06:41:39 PM »
I think we'll probably see better implementation of DLSS once the consoles start relying on it more. It's definitely hit or miss right now on PC.

naff

« Reply #2034 on: June 02, 2021, 06:55:54 PM »
we still don't know what the differences between sony and m$ custom SoC's are, it's all speculation. but i bet it ends up like Ms has specific directx function support on chip whereas sony doesn't. tl;dr they will both have some customisations that differ. ms implied sony doesn't support the "Full RDNA2 spec" on twitter once, but what that actually means ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ once again nerds be speculating about shit they don't understand
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #2035 on: June 02, 2021, 07:13:44 PM »
I think we'll probably see better implementation of DLSS once the consoles start relying on it more. It's definitely hit or miss right now on PC.

I'd like to be optimistic, but there's so many examples of games where they could've changed one slight feature and improved the IQ significantly like AFx16 instead of like AFx4 (or zero) and they still don't.

Especially Japanese developers.

Especially Japanese developers

Remember those decades of jaggy Japanese games because "Japanese developers/players don't notice aliasing"  ::)

Let's just say outside Capcom/Square Enix I'm extremely cautious about giving DLSS to Japanese developers if you can't turn it off.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #2036 on: June 03, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »
God of War delayed to 2022, Horizon release date "uncertain"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/2/22465232/god-of-war-ragnorok-ps5-ps4-delay-2022
eh, that's not promising at all for Horizon. If they're shooting for November, it's probably a spring 2022 game.  :gloomy

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2037 on: June 03, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
i'm expecting this year to be the driest of all time for new releases, so dry that i wouldn't be stunned if call of duty skips a year, and it will probably continue next year. I doubt anyone is willing to risk being the next cyberpunk :lol

(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2038 on: June 03, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »
60fps mode and real free climbing seem to be confirmed.
Now my interest is piqued.  :ohhh

https://twitter.com/dejongemathijs/status/1400463629560938501
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 11:42:31 AM by Don Rumata »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2039 on: June 03, 2021, 11:52:50 AM »
i'm expecting this year to be the driest of all time for new releases, so dry that i wouldn't be stunned if call of duty skips a year, and it will probably continue next year. I doubt anyone is willing to risk being the next cyberpunk :lol
2021 will be 2020 Definitive Edition  :trumps
🤴