Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 191835 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #2220 on: September 03, 2021, 08:47:14 AM »
sony know that the ponies will queue up to give them more money for a patch/quick 'remaster' :money

nintendies are the same, xbots aren't as dedicated as either ;)
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #2221 on: September 03, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »
Microsoft is doing it right. Sony is being greedy and arrogant as fuck.

Dunno why you would pretend this is a normal way of doing things, when smaller pubs give free upgrades for their games.
I don't disagree, but $10 here or there for upgrades on games I enjoy playing is ok with me.  It's far and few between those anyways (for me at least).  The thing about Horizon though which is distinguished mentally-challenged, is the having to pay more for the lesser version as well.  That should be automatically included with the "already upgraded" PS5 version.  That in itself should've been a given.

It can always change though... They did that double pack in bowl shit for Spider-Man where you had to buy Miles to get the Remastered regular Spider-man.  You can now get that upgrade for the standalone Spider-man for free now.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2222 on: September 03, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »
Lets be honest, its just 10€ charge for upping the settings which should obviously be a free thing.

This is like paying for a patch tbh.
What

Svejk

« Reply #2223 on: September 03, 2021, 10:06:45 AM »
Lets be honest, its just 10€ charge for upping the settings which should obviously be a free thing.

This is like paying for a patch tbh.
Yeah, I can see it that way too...  But for H:FW's instance, it's like paying extra for downgraded settings.  That's taking it too far there...  Only pseudo justification is the dlc content sprinkled in there. 

Svejk

« Reply #2224 on: September 03, 2021, 12:59:22 PM »
Oh wow... it IS more distinguished mentally-challenged than I realized...  The Collector's Edition with the steelbook doesn't even come with a physical disc!!  :lol :lol :rofl

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2225 on: September 03, 2021, 11:13:17 PM »
I'm sure they put a lot more work into creating specific assets and optimisations for each platform so the game would run its best on both, relative to your average multiplat. Still a surprising tack to take; they must have anticipated the bad press but decided it was worth it anyway
◕‿◕

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2226 on: September 04, 2021, 08:15:07 AM »
 :nope Collector's Editions in general. 

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2227 on: September 04, 2021, 12:57:18 PM »
bork obliterated :dead
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #2228 on: September 04, 2021, 07:32:05 PM »
They caved on Horizon free upgrade lol. Now it's free for everyone.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1434290271286530050

Dunno wtf Sony thought they were pulling. Also giving advance notice all future PS4->PS5 upgrades will cost $10, which is still dumb but at least that's more reasonable than all this deluxe edition bullshit they were pulling with H2.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2229 on: September 04, 2021, 07:51:07 PM »
Such Smart (tm) Delivery (tm)
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #2230 on: September 04, 2021, 07:58:16 PM »

Sony still doesn't even have a Game Pass competitor. You have to give them a decade to catch up to MS for each thing.

Svejk

« Reply #2231 on: September 04, 2021, 10:16:20 PM »

Sony still doesn't even have a Game Pass competitor. You have to give them a decade to catch up to MS for each thing.
Like Nintendo, they can get away without one.. they know people will buy their games regardless.  Their install base is will suffice for now.  I'm surprised how quick they turned that around though.. they learned that tactic from MS. Lol

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2232 on: September 05, 2021, 12:37:26 AM »

Monthly PS+ stuff? PS Now?

It's not strictly the same thing, but you get access to a bunch of games for a monthly fee.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2233 on: September 05, 2021, 04:19:49 AM »
The PS+ model is such a scammy piece of shit.
I had PS+ but was out for a couple of weeks, so i forgot to "claim" Ratchet and Clank (which they recently gave out for free anyway, but regardless) and so i "lost" my opportunity.
Also you don't retroactively get anything, unlike Gamepass.

Raist

« Reply #2234 on: September 05, 2021, 06:08:06 AM »
On the other hand as long as you "acquire" them, they're yours to keep. When games rotate out of gamepass that's it.

As I said, they're not strictly identical but they're in principle similar :yeshrug

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2235 on: September 05, 2021, 06:56:37 AM »
Yeah but usually stay in for several months and you have a discount if you want to buy them (though usually there are better offers online).
I agree they're addressing the same idea, but PS+ is probably the poorest one around, if you consider price versus what you get once you sub to it.

Thing is, they're not good services if you're looking for that one game to play for 500 hours, but they are good to play games in rotation as they come out, and have an "instant library" kind of thing, which is were PS+ fails the most at (though on PS5 you do have that thing, i'm not sure how it works out).

Bebpo

« Reply #2236 on: September 05, 2021, 04:14:19 PM »
I feel like people who defend PS+ just haven't experienced Game Pass on either Xbox or PC so the frame of reference just isn't there.

There is no competition, PS+ is a joke compared to Game Pass and might as well not exist. PS+ is essentially paying $60 or whatever a year for online play. The "free games" part is generally about three old ass games worth a couple bucks 90% of the time and every once and a while there's something good but that is rare.

Game Pass is basically half of the game releases in the world, both AAA and indie, for $10/month. It's Netflix of gaming. There's more stuff than you can ever play.

PS Now is sort of more similar to Game Pass except they are old ass games and it's streaming vs local. If they upgraded PS Now to have current day 1 releases constantly, even if it was a streaming platform, it'd be a Game Pass competitor. But right now there is just nothing on Sony that is similar to what Game Pass provides.

Sony reps have been saying for years that Sony is working on a Game Pass alternative, meaning they don't view PS+ or PS Now as that and something else is in the works. They're just taking fucking forever to announce/release whatever it is.

But yeah Smart Delivery will probably happen in PS6. Sony doesn't even have VRR support yet. They lag. Fuck we lost folders and still don't have them back.

naff

« Reply #2237 on: September 05, 2021, 05:44:08 PM »
i dont think sony could eat the cost of gamepass like m$ though. xbox division alone would probably be valued higher than the entirety of sony. gamepass is sweet, but they are hemorrhaging cash on it. like amazon, m$ are using their deep pockets to offer value beyond what is possible for others (and making up for it with their highly profitable divisions like azure and aws)
◕‿◕

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2238 on: September 05, 2021, 05:48:04 PM »
M$ taking a loss so us gamers win, God bless :rejoice
(ice)

naff

« Reply #2239 on: September 05, 2021, 05:53:39 PM »
i wish m$ would fix the shitty servers they bind you to for updates in new zealand. i have to get on a vpn so it looks like im in the US of A to get ok download speeds. EA games and Epic have the best dl speeds  8) steam is aiight.

i have no idea how much cash ms are losing on gamepass, but it's def a loss leader, but it rolls in to the development of their bigger platforms (azure, windows etc). wouldnt be surprised if sony goes the way of sega p quick next gen
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2240 on: September 05, 2021, 06:14:36 PM »
I think that if Sony runs into trouble it is more likely that they end up selling PlayStation to another company that wants to use the brand name to make a head start.

Back in the day even though a Namco merger was on the table and Microsoft showed interest, SEGA just didn't have that many valuable assets to sell.
Sonic was already tanking, new 'big' hits like Shenmue went nowhere and by trying to distance themselves from SEGA Saturn they focused more on the 'Dreamcast' than the SEGA brand.
Going multiplatform was really the only play they could make.

As of yet Sony sells every PS5 they ship and GamePass won't change that.

I would keep a closer eye on Nintendo.
Moving from video games to expanding their IP's into other ventures (movies, theme parks etc.) is historically very risky for gaming companies.
Nintendo has the luck that it doesn't all depend on a single IP though so they have more room to fail than others.
🤴

Kurt Russell

« Reply #2241 on: September 05, 2021, 06:53:24 PM »
I would keep a closer eye on Nintendo.
Moving from video games to expanding their IP's into other ventures (movies, theme parks etc.) is historically very risky for gaming companies.
Nintendo has the luck that it doesn't all depend on a single IP though so they have more room to fail than others.

Within the next decade in addition to the WWE, Disney will purchase Nintendo for the IP. They'll then get swallowed up by Alibaba Group Holding.

Want to play the new Smash Bros? How's your social credit, my dude?
woke

Beezy

« Reply #2242 on: September 05, 2021, 09:20:18 PM »
On the other hand as long as you "acquire" them, they're yours to keep. When games rotate out of gamepass that's it.

As I said, they're not strictly identical but they're in principle similar :yeshrug
You keep the games you acquire through Xbox Live Gold, which is also included in the Gamepass sub. That's the same as the PS+ monthly games. And unlike PS+, games you acquire through XBL Gold are yours forever even if you let your subscription run out.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2243 on: September 05, 2021, 09:28:43 PM »
Not 100% True Beezy, only the 360 games you keep
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #2244 on: September 05, 2021, 10:30:56 PM »
Speaking of Game Pass what's up with Forza 7 leaving on the 15th? I thought MS 1st party stuff is permanent.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2245 on: September 05, 2021, 11:03:15 PM »
The car license stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #2246 on: September 05, 2021, 11:14:51 PM »
The car license stuff.

Ah, makes sense. But you can still buy it? So weird. Might go ahead and buy it for $9.99 in case I ever want to play more of a non-Horizon game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2247 on: September 05, 2021, 11:43:54 PM »
Its not delisted until later this month, every Forza game deals with it
fat

Svejk

« Reply #2248 on: September 05, 2021, 11:45:17 PM »
I've paid $78 for 3 years of PS+.  It's not that big of a rip off, especially with the Plus Collection added.  Nintendo Online on the other hand... :doge 
GP is definitely the best bang for you buck, but it's not for everyone.  It's a waste for me.  I don't have the time to play not even a portion of the games they offer.. 

naff

« Reply #2249 on: September 06, 2021, 12:14:39 AM »
I've paid $78 for 3 years of PS+.  It's not that big of a rip off, especially with the Plus Collection added.  Nintendo Online on the other hand... :doge 
GP is definitely the best bang for you buck, but it's not for everyone.  It's a waste for me.  I don't have the time to play not even a portion of the games they offer..

having never bought a PS4 ive found it to be incredible value on PS5 the last 9 months or so. already keen to play predator and hitman 2 this month. sorta things i normally wouldnt buy, but will probably enjoy somewhat and for smaller online multi titles i like the temporary boost in playerbase to get online, check 'em out then bail.
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #2250 on: September 06, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »
I can't believe it's been almost 10 months already since this launched.   :neo

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2251 on: September 06, 2021, 01:53:06 PM »
Went into an Euronics today (some big electronic store chain) to buy some minor shit and there was a guy, i guess you'd define as a FIFA/CoD type casual gamer, mumbling completely puzzled to his girl: "Not even here? [as in: at this store] where the fuck are all the Playstations?!".

Made me chuckle because i guess the chip shortage is that kind of news that doesn't directly reach that demographic, so its effects appear all the more puzzling.

Funny thing is, they had one PS5 as a demo unit, you know, under glass hooked to a TV, but it had no gamepads, so you couldn't even try that.  :lol
The struggle is real.

Beezy

« Reply #2252 on: September 06, 2021, 03:28:15 PM »
Not 100% True Beezy, only the 360 games you keep
well shit

Kurt Russell

« Reply #2253 on: September 06, 2021, 04:27:17 PM »
Went into an Euronics today (some big electronic store chain) to buy some minor shit and there was a guy, i guess you'd define as a FIFA/CoD type casual gamer, mumbling completely puzzled to his girl: "Not even here? [as in: at this store] where the fuck are all the Playstations?!".

Made me chuckle because i guess the chip shortage is that kind of news that doesn't directly reach that demographic, so its effects appear all the more puzzling.

Funny thing is, they had one PS5 as a demo unit, you know, under glass hooked to a TV, but it had no gamepads, so you couldn't even try that.  :lol
The struggle is real.

Is there still much of a shortage then? I managed to get 2 at launch (sold one to the director of my company at face value because I'm smart) and recently managed to pick up an additional PS5 online for my office. I really thought that the PS5 shortage was over.

Worth trying to pick some up and sit on them until Christmas?
woke

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2254 on: September 06, 2021, 04:32:54 PM »
Some game stores here in the Netherlands are even selling them at scalper prices. Think the disc model was going for 800 euros last time I checked. Then there's other stores that only sell them bundled with a bunch of shit to maximize profits.

naff

« Reply #2255 on: September 06, 2021, 05:01:36 PM »
Is there still much of a shortage then?

they've sold over 10 mill units so far, and they still haven't been able to meet demand so yeah there's a "shortage" that said I've bought quite a few of them at rrp (for friends, not scalping), just have to be in discords that notify you when in stock online/on waitlists at stores that just allocate to the list.  i've been keeping an eye on series x restocks here too and there basically hasn't been one in about 4 months. ps5 has been relatively easy to find

ps4 had sold 20 million by the end of it's first year
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #2256 on: September 06, 2021, 06:07:44 PM »
I read the console shortage will continue until like 2023 :cat

Then I might as well track a PS5 down soon, so I don't have to worry about it down the line. Not like it will get any cheaper or receive visions anytime soon in this situation.

Raist

« Reply #2257 on: September 07, 2021, 02:11:05 AM »
I feel like people who defend PS+ just haven't experienced Game Pass on either Xbox or PC so the frame of reference just isn't there.

There is no competition, PS+ is a joke compared to Game Pass and might as well not exist. PS+ is essentially paying $60 or whatever a year for online play. The "free games" part is generally about three old ass games worth a couple bucks 90% of the time and every once and a while there's something good but that is rare.

Game Pass is basically half of the game releases in the world, both AAA and indie, for $10/month. It's Netflix of gaming. There's more stuff than you can ever play.

PS Now is sort of more similar to Game Pass except they are old ass games and it's streaming vs local. If they upgraded PS Now to have current day 1 releases constantly, even if it was a streaming platform, it'd be a Game Pass competitor. But right now there is just nothing on Sony that is similar to what Game Pass provides.

Sony reps have been saying for years that Sony is working on a Game Pass alternative, meaning they don't view PS+ or PS Now as that and something else is in the works. They're just taking fucking forever to announce/release whatever it is.

But yeah Smart Delivery will probably happen in PS6. Sony doesn't even have VRR support yet. They lag. Fuck we lost folders and still don't have them back.

I mean let's face it, if they came up with a gamepass like thing that would be the death of PSnow. It's likely already not doing all that well, so maybe they'll revamp it.

But the main difference with MS is that they have multiple IPs that sell a metric fuckload of copies. They'd be really dumb to put them day 1 on a 10 bucks sub programme.

It's not purely streaming BTW, a bunch of PS4 games can be downloaded as well.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:18:16 AM by Raist »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2258 on: September 07, 2021, 03:23:54 AM »
Some game stores here in the Netherlands are even selling them at scalper prices. Think the disc model was going for 800 euros last time I checked. Then there's other stores that only sell them bundled with a bunch of shit to maximize profits.
Yeah same here.
Admittedly i don't want one that much yet, so i haven't been looking hard, but every once in a while i check online and when i'm in a store i usually throw an eye out, and i've never seen one sold at MSRP.
And yeah, there are stores selling them from 700€ up, some including shit like gaming chairs and shit into it.  :lol

I also haven't seen any Series X, but those seem a bit easier to find.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2259 on: September 07, 2021, 06:40:24 AM »
Not like it will get any cheaper or receive visions anytime soon in this situation.
Not sure, they might try to create a smaller revision that needs less silicon to get around the shortages and is cheaper to ship.
Nintendo's shipments were down 80% in July and 42% in August YoY.

Apart from special parts like GPU's and CPU's they're running out of common parts too.
The EU also set a goal to ban the sale of new petrol cars by 2035 which will increase demand further.

I think the golden age of cheap electronics is over. As raw materials are harder to come by.
Wasting chips on 'cheap' yearly phone revisions or 'smart' refrigerators might become a thing of the past.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #2260 on: September 07, 2021, 06:43:44 AM »
Making everything "smart" was a cancerous thing i'd be glad to see gone.
I just want them price cuts, but at this rate they'd be insane to do one before 2023.  :stahp

Let's Cyber

« Reply #2261 on: September 08, 2021, 07:55:59 AM »
If papa Phil can manage to bring GamePass to PS5 and subsidize my 3rd party game purchases, I'd be all for it. 

:success

naff

« Reply #2262 on: September 08, 2021, 05:20:43 PM »
Making everything "smart" was a cancerous thing i'd be glad to see gone.

i imagine looking back on it, it'll be a bit of a joke like when we used to try and put tv's in everything. that said, we're not going back to analogue systems anytime soon, but for sure having stuff like fridges with full tablets built into them is silly
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2263 on: September 08, 2021, 06:10:31 PM »
What

Tasty

« Reply #2264 on: September 08, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »
Emphasize it harder for me 😩

Svejk

« Reply #2265 on: September 09, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
So, Sony acquired FireSprite Studios; former Studio Liverpool folks.  Possible Wipeout successor incoming?  Yes please!

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2266 on: September 09, 2021, 08:38:16 AM »
it will be a sad dad walking sim based on one of the pilots :heh
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #2267 on: September 09, 2021, 08:45:10 AM »
it will be a sad dad walking sim based on one of the pilots :heh
:lol

Let's Cyber

« Reply #2268 on: September 09, 2021, 02:16:41 PM »
I've been getting website banner and youtube ads for this PS showcase, they're pushing it pretty hard.

If they give us a Bloodborne update, that alone will put over the top.  :aah

Raist

« Reply #2269 on: September 09, 2021, 02:46:51 PM »
So, Sony acquired FireSprite Studios; former Studio Liverpool folks.  Possible Wipeout successor incoming?  Yes please!

Squadron 42 delayed to 2035.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2270 on: September 09, 2021, 02:47:24 PM »
What if Sony buys S
spoiler (click to show/hide)
EGA
[close]
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2271 on: September 09, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
Saved before they delete it

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1436042612922798081

Most of this year's gaming events have been pretty muted (thanks to covid), but I suspect today's PlayStation show will be worth taking your lunch break to watch. Expecting surprises, superheroes, and the reveal of a game that people have been hounding me about for years

Get ready for Killzone 4 bitches
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2272 on: September 09, 2021, 03:34:13 PM »
Damn, they're finally making Vib-Ribbon 2?

Svejk

« Reply #2273 on: September 09, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #2274 on: September 09, 2021, 04:03:53 PM »
2 minutes in... already worst show ever

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2275 on: September 09, 2021, 04:04:49 PM »
Can we stop using New Order's blue monday.

Edit: Knights of the Old Republic Remake.

Svejk

« Reply #2276 on: September 09, 2021, 04:07:32 PM »
Getting somewhere now...

Bayonettawho?!  :wong

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2277 on: September 09, 2021, 04:11:40 PM »
Wish the Babymetal song was in a better game trailer.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2278 on: September 09, 2021, 04:13:43 PM »
Devil May Waifu  :mynicca
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2279 on: September 09, 2021, 04:19:35 PM »
Oh, Alan Wake is actually a remaster and not a remake. Kinda disappointed.