Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 191327 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Playstation 5 Reveal
« Reply #600 on: June 14, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »
No way they have Hellblade 2 for launch.
I don't even think it's a 2021 title.

The game just swiutched engine to UE5, which isn't even coming out till end of 2021, now ofc. thay have preferential treatment, but if they're still that early as to be able to switch around engine, there's no way they're out by the holidays.

Forza Motorsport and Halo Inf. are the only big titles i think are plausible for launch (and Forza is still a niche product).
And tbh, 343 still has to demonstrate the ability to do a decent Halo experience, not a sure fire hit at all.
By comparison Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, are much better established studios.

MS Flight Sim looks amazing, but it's also super niche.

Thing is, even in the nostalgia department, they don't all that much.

If they cultivate these studios well, i think we'll see the benefits by halfway through the gen.
Ah I missed the UE5 for Hellblade 2. That won't ship until 2021 then.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #601 on: June 14, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
After reading a lot of stuff about the PS5 load times and their new UI that loads in milliseconds. Am I the only weirdo who isn't bothered by load times and the current UI's response time all that much? Sure, it would be nice to have everything instantly, but it's not as big a deal to me, especially compared to people who say it's a game changer.  :doge
https://twitter.com/ThePrimaryGamer/status/1271656533957332993
:fbm
But her SSDs...

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #602 on: June 14, 2020, 09:11:01 PM »
After reading a lot of stuff about the PS5 load times and their new UI that loads in milliseconds. Am I the only weirdo who isn't bothered by load times and the current UI's response time all that much? Sure, it would be nice to have everything instantly, but it's not as big a deal to me, especially compared to people who say it's a game changer.  :doge

it's more that it will allow higher definition texture streaming, devs won't need to be as creative with load time workarounds and everything will just be more responsive. it's not a minor effect, if you've used a pc with an ssd vs. without you must surely get it.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #603 on: June 14, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
try replaying HL2, even with an SSD, and lmk afterward how much you think load times dont matter.
◕‿◕

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #604 on: June 14, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »
The most next gen thing possible would be something like Elder Scrolls with no load times, not short or instant load times, straight up you walk into every building and dungeon with no interruptions.

If that's achievable next gen, I'd be impressed beyond belief. It's not about doing an old process at lightning speed, it's about new processes made possible with the technology.
OH!

naff

« Reply #605 on: June 14, 2020, 09:31:05 PM »
that's clearly achievable. whether devs will put in the effort to do that will be done on a game by game basis.

This thing isn't even pushing a brand-new physical media format :confused

:thinking eh whatchu talking about?
◕‿◕

BisMarckie

« Reply #606 on: June 14, 2020, 09:35:44 PM »
it's not a minor effect, if you've used a pc with an ssd vs. without you must surely get it.

I have a SSD in my PC, have had one for like over 5 years. I still put games on my HDD because I just don't care that much :trumps

naff

« Reply #607 on: June 14, 2020, 09:41:07 PM »
like, if asset complexity (read: size on disk) is increased relative to the increase in ssd streaming speeds then they'll be in a similar/the same place they were last gen. it will continue to be a balancing act. ssd's aren't magic. goddamn console technology hyperbole is cringe
◕‿◕

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #608 on: June 14, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »
i love the idea that every cost analysis metric tells them $599 is the magic price, but every time they run it upstairs they get met with "no, no we don't want to hear that number. come back with another one"

naff

« Reply #609 on: June 14, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »
it's not a minor effect, if you've used a pc with an ssd vs. without you must surely get it.

I have a SSD in my PC, have had one for like over 5 years. I still put games on my HDD because I just don't care that much :trumps

unless you're using high def texture packs or the game is specifically optimised for it most games will load pretty fast/at a similar speed off an ssd relative to an old platter drive after initial boot. having the tech included as a standard part of every sku between both manufacturers will significantly ease the io bottleneck on consoles though. idk how exactly devs will take advantage of it with "game changing" features, mostly it will be quality of life stuff like less/zero load times and higher quality textures  :trumps
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #610 on: June 14, 2020, 09:58:50 PM »
what i was getting at before with the HL2 quip (and it's the same with many old games) even with an ssd, the load times are copious and shite (but marginally better with an ssd vs without). the big gains come when hardware is standard as the target for everything. with m$ and sony standardising with nearly like for like hardware we (incl. pc only ppl) will be rewarded with lots of great games over the coming decade. thank fucking jebus console manufacturers have stopped being stupid fucks and everyone's just using the same hardware now (except nintendo of course, but switch is pretty sweet and the difference p justifiable)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:04:23 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #611 on: June 14, 2020, 11:08:20 PM »
As long as PC ports of multiplatforms, have an SSD storage as a minimum requirement.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #612 on: June 15, 2020, 01:07:25 AM »
My mind literally melts when I think of a PC gamer not using an SSD. But I know there are probably some weirdos that probably only have HDD’s in. And if so, fuck em let them spend $100 on an SSD. I think The pricing on the PS5 is gonna be high because I’ve never seen a company hold onto a price for this long before when releasing a console. I will imagine that Xbox will release the price at the July event, so hopefully we’ll know how much the PS5 is by end of august. Which is absolutely crazy, considering it’ll be out three month-ish later. Will also be interesting to see who will release first. Most likely Sony again but who knows. Also if Halo is a launch title then it has to be finished within five months... Which considering they’re all working from home unless it’s just bug fixes etc I don’t see that happening, but we’ll see in July I guess...

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #613 on: June 15, 2020, 02:55:04 AM »
Anyhow, another reason why I think these boys will be expensive is their size:
(Image removed from quote.)
Both PS5 and Xbox Series X are quite large compared to earlier consoles hinting at not only expensive hardware but also expensive cooling solutions.
We know what the Series X cooling solution is, Microsoft even let DF take the thing apart.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #614 on: June 15, 2020, 07:46:31 AM »
SSD's are only part of what causes consoles to load.
Disk I/O and of course filling up the memory with all those gorgeous 4K textures takes time as well.

Loading times will be shorter, like they are on PC. And honestly that's a nice improvement but they won't disappear altogether unless it's some small indie game that fits into the entire memory.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #615 on: June 15, 2020, 08:08:01 AM »
The PS5's SSD has a throughput of 5.5GB/s raw, 8 to 9GB/s with compression.
The XSX' SSD can do 2.4GB/s raw, 4.8GB/s with compression.

Both have 16GB of GDDR6, i.e. they can fill their RAM in 2-4 seconds.

If you see load screens or transition animations that are longer than this (or any streaming hitches whatsoever), someone fucked up.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2020, 08:10:35 AM »
you could see the streaming hitches in the ratchet demo when it changed from world to world. but hey, showed that it was actually real.  :-[

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2020, 08:11:47 AM »
Yeah, that was unfortunate. I wonder what the bottleneck is.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »
i cant get over how ugly this thing is

its just... ugly

its so fucking uglyyyyyyyy AAAAAAAH

The Colonel showing 'em how it's done. :pimp
https://twitter.com/kfcgaming/status/1271487675929890816
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
Both PS5 and Xbox Series X are quite large compared to earlier consoles hinting at not only expensive hardware but also expensive cooling solutions.
They're basically just PC's now.

You forgot one. :smug

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:lol Stadia
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #620 on: June 15, 2020, 10:38:59 AM »
that's clearly achievable. whether devs will put in the effort to do that will be done on a game by game basis.

Like the PS3 was. PS3 including one of the first Blu-ray (movie) drives IMO offered way more value at launch, even at $600, than the PS5 does. Cheap 4K Blu-ray players abound, and Blu-ray isn't a brand-new format anymore. The value proposition is way less.

Svejk

« Reply #621 on: June 15, 2020, 11:32:13 AM »
Apparently Astro's Playroom comes pre-installed on all PS5's.  :aweshum

Svejk

« Reply #622 on: June 15, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
The top 100 most played games according to this site....

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/acpu37/ourps4life_100_most_popular_ps4_games_ranked_by/

Man... Gamers suck.
 :dead

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »
You mean casuals

Most if not all on that list is casual trash
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »
I played all of those feefers and NBA’s :smug
(ice)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #625 on: June 15, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »

Like the PS3 was. PS3 including one of the first Blu-ray (movie) drives IMO offered way more value at launch, even at $600, than the PS5 does. Cheap 4K Blu-ray players abound, and Blu-ray isn't a brand-new format anymore. The value proposition is way less.

And the PS2 pushed dvd

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2020, 12:20:53 PM »
The top 100 most played games according to this site....

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/acpu37/ourps4life_100_most_popular_ps4_games_ranked_by/

Man... Gamers suck.
 :dead

Wow whst a drop for Fifa 19 compared to 16/17/18

Ouch!

Edit: ok numbers are for mid november 2018 so just after fifa 2019 launch, im sure these numbers surge after xmas

Svejk

« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »
I was expecting certain titles like Sekiro, Dark Souls 3, Yakuza 0 or even Def Stranding..  :doge
Just hope the PS5 BC isn't basically a FIFA/Dooty machine based off those stats. 

I just want to play a Soulsborne game I already paid for on a PS system that doesn't run like doodoo.   :noah
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:39:23 PM by Svejk »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2020, 12:33:29 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »
I don't see a single gay furry high schooler interactive book.

Casual morans!

Yup cause thats what casuals play  :heh
What

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #630 on: June 15, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »
I was expecting certain titles like Sekiro, Dark Souls 3, Yakuza 0 or even Def Stranding..  :doge
Just hope the PS5 BC is basically a FIFA/Dooty machine based off those stats. 

I just want to play a Soulsborne game I already paid for on a PS system that doesn't run like doodoo.   :noah

FIFA is what makes Sony nr 1 since the 90s

Champions League is sponsored by Playstation since 97

Every football fan knows where to play it

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #631 on: June 15, 2020, 12:49:35 PM »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #632 on: June 15, 2020, 12:58:47 PM »
I don't see a single gay furry high schooler interactive book.

Casual morans!

Yup cause thats what casuals play  :heh

Not what I was saying; words R hard for you.

Having to decipher your meaning is quite hard indeed.
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #633 on: June 15, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »
 :whew
(ice)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #634 on: June 15, 2020, 01:34:55 PM »

Truly the U2's Songs of Innocence of video games.
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #635 on: June 15, 2020, 01:51:56 PM »
Now geometry wars  8)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #636 on: June 15, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »

It's hilarious to see people spending so much time trying to decipher dimensions with the "super accurate" USB port and disk tray comparisons.

Those are way off. The Xbone is slightly larger than the PS3, for instance. But according to that pic it's significantly smaller.

Same thing with the early pics comparing the PS5 and XxXbOxXx Series XxX. According to those, the DS5 (Dualsense, whatevs) was gigantic compared to the Xbox controller :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #637 on: June 15, 2020, 02:06:34 PM »
It doesn't look like the S, but it doesn't look like the final Xbox One unit either.
In some renders it looks thinner than it actually was.
🤴

Raist

« Reply #638 on: June 15, 2020, 02:08:46 PM »

It's hilarious to see people spending so much time trying to decipher dimensions with the "super accurate" USB port and disk tray comparisons.

Those are way off. The Xbone is slightly larger than the PS3, for instance. But according to that pic it's significantly smaller.

Same thing with the early pics comparing the PS5 and XxXbOxXx Series XxX. According to those, the DS5 (Dualsense, whatevs) was gigantic compared to the Xbox controller :lol

I think they are just using the Xbox One S instead of the OG.

Which still wouldn't make sense since the One S and One X have pretty much the exact same width, so in that pic they should be just as tall.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #639 on: June 15, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
It's the original Xbox One, without the slanted bottom. Which makes it look more aesthetically pleasing than the thicc boi originally was :yeshrug

Still, PS5 and Xbox Series X don't differ much in terms of volume. One is tall and slim, the other blocky and thicc.
🤴

Raist

« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »
I said One S and One X you muppet.

edit: and stop using distinguished mentally-challenged fellow units.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2020, 02:26:31 PM »
They used all sorts of visual trickery to make it look less thicc like displaying it at an angle.

Or give it an all dark background so you couldn't see the bottom

[close]

But then you got it
[close]

This is the bullshot render used for the comparison it seems.

🤴

Raist

« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2020, 02:28:23 PM »
I remember the reveal, people were like "shit that looks big". Then websites etc got their units, and were like "so huh yeah... it's bigger than the Phat 3".

Then teardowns were published and the thing was 50% empty space :lol

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »
They made it massive so it would cool better and they wouldn’t have another red ring fiasco on their hands iirc.
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2020, 02:34:03 PM »

Hey...you got a PC- all of those are on there.  And run better than the PS4 versions.  :doge

This is your time to make the switch
:rejoice
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2020, 02:53:49 PM »
The most next gen thing possible would be something like Elder Scrolls with no load times, not short or instant load times, straight up you walk into every building and dungeon with no interruptions.

If that's achievable next gen, I'd be impressed beyond belief. It's not about doing an old process at lightning speed, it's about new processes made possible with the technology.

I’ve been wanting this for something like Zelda for ages.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »

Hey...you got a PC- all of those are on there.  And run better than the PS4 versions.  :doge

Time to join the kings
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »

For real
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2020, 02:55:53 PM »
Even Microsoft and Sony just gave up and built PC's  :idont
🤴

Raist

« Reply #649 on: June 15, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
This still cracks me up :lol

You can almost hear the iFixit guy going "... what?"

The 360 was a thing of beauty too. It's like it was slapped together with whatever they could find in a random warehouse.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #650 on: June 15, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »
Now wonder the towel trick worked

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #651 on: June 15, 2020, 03:21:13 PM »
Not every console can be perfectly designed

And all you could hear was the prrrr of the disk drive  :heart

:delicious
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #652 on: June 15, 2020, 03:50:17 PM »

Spend over $1000 to reach "next-gen" levels only to buy those games all over again.   :fbm  With children invested in my PS library now, I might be in a hole I can't dig myself out of...
My work PC has a decent card, but it's still putting along with an i3.  :-\  Upgrading that alone will be at least $200ish..

Unless I win some sort of lotto.  :money

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #654 on: June 15, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1272611309641760769
I gotta make a financial plan if i want to order take out, instead of eating frozen broccoli.
To get a PS5, i'll have to organize meetings with the bank.  :doge

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #655 on: June 15, 2020, 06:43:24 PM »
God fucking damn that's a rough lookin' 36

paprikastaude

« Reply #656 on: June 15, 2020, 06:46:55 PM »

3D platformer comeback finally reality next gen :lawd

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #657 on: June 15, 2020, 07:16:37 PM »

At least tell me I'm brave for posting this picture of myself. :(
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #658 on: June 15, 2020, 07:25:26 PM »

Most Sony fans :(

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #659 on: June 15, 2020, 07:39:36 PM »
what % of load times is shuffling raw data from the HDD into the RAM? surely there's a bunch more processes needed to be done if you're loading an entirely new environment that are going to ruin the "no load times ever" dream?