Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 192783 times)

Pennywise

Re: Playstation 5 Reveal
« Reply #540 on: June 13, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »
I dunno, is there any credibility to the previous rumor the PSCinco's cost was roughly $450? (honestly considering everything that's in it, I'm not sure, although maybe they got money back from some out of business router company for taking dead inventory off their hands for the shell of the units)

I could see a reality where the Cinco disc version comes in at $500, the digital version at $400, and the series X is already rumored to be $600 right?

WHO CAN SAY BUT SPECULATION IS FUN

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Both regular, non-nerfed consoles will be $600
[close]

BOM cost of the xbox was a bit higher than PS5. It just depends on what they're going to do both.
Eating cost or living with a small profit margin.

They're surely gonna eat more cost for the digital version. After all that one bring in more cash in the long run.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #541 on: June 13, 2020, 05:02:53 PM »
This just started with a PS5 game premiere that wasn't included on Sony's stream.

ど助平

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #542 on: June 13, 2020, 05:23:00 PM »
What game was that?! I’m done watching streams after that PC gaming one.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #543 on: June 13, 2020, 05:24:48 PM »
What game was that?! I’m done watching streams after that PC gaming one.

TeamKill Media has released a new trailer for Quantum Error, its upcoming “cosmic horror” first-person shooter for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4.
ど助平

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #544 on: June 13, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »
Cheers will watch it. I bet this one will be better than the PC gaming show.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #545 on: June 13, 2020, 06:57:20 PM »
Skipped through it and it seems like its full of jank indie stuff.

They also had the Ember lab bros "talk a bit more" about Kena. Which was introduced as an "exclusive" thing :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #546 on: June 13, 2020, 07:13:43 PM »
I watched all 3 presentations.
Completely skippable, all 3.

Will not waste my time with the rest, until we hit a big one (cyberpunk/microsoft/Ubisoft, etc)

Svejk

« Reply #547 on: June 13, 2020, 07:52:05 PM »
That shmup looked cool.

Ghoul

« Reply #548 on: June 13, 2020, 07:54:22 PM »

Will not waste my time with the rest, until we hit a big one (cyberpunk/microsoft/Ubisoft, etc)

Ubi is an instant skip for me. After mr caffeine I can’t go back.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #549 on: June 13, 2020, 08:49:24 PM »

Ubisoft games tend to be my jam, and they haven't been particularly annoying with their E3 presentations, as long as you have your phone to look away when the dancing starts.
I'm really interested in both AC and Watch Dogs Legion, plus i hope to see something of Beyond Good & Evil 2 and maybe a tease for Splinter Cell..

Coax

« Reply #550 on: June 13, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
The UHD drive throws off the balance. The digital only version looks fine.

Sony will deffo make the disc drive version more expensive so they can trick people into going digital...

The conflicting thing to me with this is Sony is an important member of the Blu-Ray association, pushing both UHD BD as a medium and having published a consistent record of reference-tier discs. To make the designs so markedly different (and assuming price differences) is disappointing from the perspective of marketing UHD BD to a wider audience (selfish disclosure: I always hope UHD BD becomes more popular to encourage studios to release films I'm interested in on the format :P).

paprikastaude

« Reply #551 on: June 13, 2020, 11:02:24 PM »

Ubisoft games tend to be my jam, and they haven't been particularly annoying with their E3 presentations, as long as you have your phone to look away when the dancing starts.
I'm really interested in both AC and Watch Dogs Legion, plus i hope to see something of Beyond Good & Evil 2 and maybe a tease for Splinter Cell..

Reminds me that Michel Ancel's Sony game seems dead for good now... Might have been my game of choice now that BG&E2 is online-only. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that also becomes vaporware.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #552 on: June 13, 2020, 11:08:26 PM »

Reminds me that Michel Ancel's Sony game seems dead for good now... Might have been my game of choice now that BG&E2 is online-only. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that also becomes vaporware.
Dont remind me of Wild... :fbm
Probably my most anticipated game ever.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #553 on: June 13, 2020, 11:30:31 PM »
I mean I realize that even if AA games have somewhat come back, that games themselves are still expensive to make and so yeah we are going to get less games. So indie games become nice "fodder" to show off. A bit cynical, as they do deserve a spotlight.

But I watched the GamesRadar show which yeah why would I expect a game website to have some awesome show. Still it highlights why I don't care that much about the indie scene.

I don't consider myself a pretentious person, so I like my guns and shooting. So I'm not striving for games as an artform with the ability to do more than that. It's possible that I could enjoy anything, it's just I'm not on twitter decrying that another Call of Duty sold millions and it's a shame for the industry.

But it's also that indie games just kind of blend together. Lots of meh looking platformers trading on whimsy, yet another 2d game with some sort of unique art stye but whatever gameplay, or a jrpg want to be that claims to be inspired by Chrono Trigger.

I told my friend that I'm waiting for people that got into games with the PS1 and PS2 to make their indie games. Who's inspiration was Xenogears and Metal Gear Solid 2 and want to make games like that. That Cris Tales game looks great and seemed ok by the demo. But like every jrpg indie does nothing for me because it's like "oh we want to make Disney light adventures with Chrono gameplay". Where's my dark and teen angst edgy Xenogears or Evangelion inspired jrpg that Japan won't make?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #554 on: June 14, 2020, 12:12:04 AM »
when i look at the indie scene i see a ton of competent looking games that seem like they might be fun but they have little identity of their own. like yes the gameplay looks awesome but that's because it's a carbon copy of some mechanics that were perfected decades ago. 
pcp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #555 on: June 14, 2020, 12:23:24 AM »
Seeing what gets published on Steam, I find it hard to say anything specific about the broad "indie scene" but it's really easy to say things about the "indie scene" that gets promoted to event trailer status and lots of current games journalists coverage.

paprikastaude

« Reply #556 on: June 14, 2020, 12:44:21 AM »
Overreliance on indie support usually means that your platform just doesn't have an exclusive interesting lineup yet, see Vita, early PS4, Switch etc.  :doge Thankfully PS5 seems to keep the ball somewhat rolling from all kinds of publishers this gen. Indies can be a decent distraction, but very few of them I ever considered outstanding. I also don't buy new platforms for them, when most of these titles will run on my toaster PC even.

There's so many things "inspired by Zelda", inspired by Contra, Metroidvanias, Roguelikes, inspired by Ducktales, by this and that - yet it's clear that most of these small teams or one-man-projects just can't compete with the originals that were designed by pros with a budget in their prime. While lacking the resources to really expand the scope of their games, unless you go for randomly generated (i.e. inferior) level design, or cut gameplay altogether in 3D walking simulators. Mark of the Ninja and Cuphead are some of the very few indie games I consider the best in their genre. Iirc both of them had Microsoft support. Also both at least try to have their own game design and identity instead of aiming too heavily to be fan copies of classics.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:50:24 AM by Spieler1 »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #557 on: June 14, 2020, 05:16:31 AM »
I enjoyed the stream with mr north

That ghostrunner game looks cool

What

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #558 on: June 14, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
Mirrors Edgy

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #560 on: June 14, 2020, 10:48:57 AM »
"Value" aka 600$ :lol

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #561 on: June 14, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #562 on: June 14, 2020, 11:20:30 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #563 on: June 14, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »
Arrogant Sony is back :lawd

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #564 on: June 14, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
Will they really dare to charge 599 US dollars?
Hi

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #565 on: June 14, 2020, 11:43:32 AM »
Will they really dare to charge 599 US dollars?

With Covid affecting manufacturing, along with an incredibly probable recession, Sony's strategy is most likely making a couple million consoles, or something very conservative, consoles either trickle out or sell out. Basically make small batches of consoles and drip feed them to consumers.

Microsoft will do something similar. At least with Xbox shit though, the value of game pass and BC will help justify the price tag. Sony is basically asking people to drop $700+ for a console, game, sales tax.

OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #566 on: June 14, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »
It's gonna be interesting with Sony moving development over to the PS5 when sales won't be that high, especially in the first year. I imagine they'll still have to put ps4 games out like MS.

Arrogant Sony™ won't do this, but I imagine most third parties will.  It was like this with the PS4 for a while.  IIRC for almost two years after the PS4 launch, a lot of games still came out for PS3 and in some cases the only difference was the resolution and/or 30 vs. 60 FPS.

I bet despite the promise of a lot of PS4 games being backwards compatible, Sony will still re-release at least one game on the PS5 with little-to-no discernible differences at all from PS4.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #567 on: June 14, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »
I know what could justify the price...

Raist

« Reply #568 on: June 14, 2020, 01:16:22 PM »
Tasty talking about price while buying Nintendo's 10yo hardware for 300 bucks day 1 :lol

mormapope

« Reply #569 on: June 14, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »
Like it or not though, that 10 year old hardware has been the most popular and successful world wide  :doge

OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #570 on: June 14, 2020, 01:27:28 PM »
I'll be surprised if it lands anywhere below $699
I bet those fancy controllers cost $79 a piece. Switch Pro Controllers already cost $69 and Joy-Cons $79

'Value' means they'll probably pack-in the stand next to the free game (Astrobot) and the controller.

The earlier rumors indicated that Sony would release a PS5 and PS5 Pro but they probably settled for specs right in the middle.
Specs were also boosted from the rumored 9TF to 10+ TF. Likely making it more expensive.

Microsoft may offer the $499 option with the 7TF 'Lockhart' down the line. For the first 1 - 2 years these are to be premium machines though as they continue to sell PS4 and Xbox One models.
MS and Sony are basically both waiting for the other to reveal pricing so they can undercut the competition or convince their management to take a hit on the bottom line.

A comparable 9TF RDNA GPU (5700XT) from AMD would set you back $400 without Ray Tracing support.
The PS5 is using a newer RDNA 2.0 architecture which won't be available for PC GPU's until late 2020.
I can see Microsoft dropping the Series X at $749 at launch or even $799 at 12TF. Unless they managed to cut costs somewhere.

Unlike the previous gen we're getting a real generational leap on paper.
These machines were designed for the economic boom not a recession.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #571 on: June 14, 2020, 01:30:29 PM »
Tasty talking about price while buying Nintendo's 10yo hardware for 300 bucks day 1 :lol

Wow, got 'em :asuka

mormapope

« Reply #572 on: June 14, 2020, 01:31:46 PM »
I'll be surprised if it lands anywhere below $699
I bet those fancy controllers cost $79 a piece. Switch Pro Controllers already cost $69 and Joy-Cons $79

'Value' means they'll probably pack-in the stand next to the free game (Astrobot) and the controller.

The earlier rumors indicated that Sony would release a PS5 and PS5 Pro but they probably settled for specs right in the middle.
Specs were also boosted from the rumored 9TF to 10+ TF. Likely making it more expensive.

Microsoft may offer the $499 option with the 7TF 'Lockhart' down the line. For the first 1 - 2 years these are to be premium machines though as they continue to sell PS4 and Xbox One models.
MS and Sony are basically both waiting for the other to reveal pricing so they can undercut the competition or convince their management to take a hit on the bottom line.

A comparable 9TF RDNA GPU (5700XT) from AMD would set you back $400 without Ray Tracing support.
The PS5 is using a newer RDNA 2.0 architecture which won't be available for PC GPU's until late 2020.
I can see Microsoft dropping the Series X at $749 at launch or even $799 at 12TF. Unless they managed to cut costs somewhere.

Unlike the previous gen we're getting a real generational leap on paper.

Bro, I don't know how retail works at Dutch stores, but a videogame console costing $800 is fucking suicide. The PS5 was rumored to cost $450 to manufacture, without distribution.

OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #573 on: June 14, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »
PS4 Pro is currently 399 Euro / $399

Microsoft dropped the Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X edition for 499 Euro / $399
(but it was an Xbox so one store ran a promotion for 299 Euro)

With the old generation consoles still at those prices and in high demand prior to the new generation I'm not expecting it to come in below $599 and that would honestly surprise me given the hardware that's packed into these machines.

There's also the trend of Sony 'premium pricing' all their TV's, devices and electronics.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #574 on: June 14, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
Sure Switch is "300" bucks with that bi-yearly controller replacement :goldberg

Like it or not though, that 10 year old hardware has been the most popular and successful world wide  :doge

And Mahvel is the most successul movie brand. Still is trash for any enthusiast of the medium though. :idont Though Raist is the last one that should shit on Nintendyearolds, considering he's acting the exact same but for Sony.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #575 on: June 14, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »
I just got a One X second hand for 200 so Im good for now.

Wont upgrad if its more then 399.

If you dont count ps4?

Svejk

« Reply #576 on: June 14, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
At $600 even... like the PS3 launch price... should at least have a better launch line up I would think... Right??  :-\

I mean... compare the prices of the PS3 launch (US) 
US$499.99 (20 GB model) US$599.99 (60 GB model)
$100 for dat extra phat 40GB  :lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #577 on: June 14, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »
At $600 even... like the PS3 launch price... should at least have a better launch line up I would think... Right??  :-\

I mean... compare the prices of the PS3 launch (US) 
US$499.99 (20 GB model) US$599.99 (60 GB model)
$100 for dat extra phat 40GB  :lawd

The 20 GB model didn't have wifi, too, lol.
ど助平

Raist

« Reply #578 on: June 14, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
There is not a single chance either MS or Sony go for 700. Are you out of your goddamn mind :lol

Though Raist is the last one that should shit on Nintendyearolds, considering he's acting the exact same but for Sony.

:lol I got my PS4 in 2016.

The 20 GB model didn't have wifi, too, lol.

Couldn't even get it in Europe. Sony went "nope, you're only getting the more expensive one. Will go well with your 20% VAT  :drool "
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:19:35 PM by Raist »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #579 on: June 14, 2020, 03:19:46 PM »
They keep beating that "value" drum, but i don't get what this is offering that's so special?

1) Power increase like any other gen-ump and actually less than the competition.
2) Decent quality title line-up (allegedly) from their first party studios... just like PS4 and 3.. and even 2.
3) The.. ehm.. gamepad vibrates better?

I mean really, like Tasty said, it doesn't even have the "oh i'll get it as a cheap dvd/bluray player" argument, infact, they want you to get the driveless version.
I know it's all buzzwords, but are they relly this desperate for an angle to sell this thing, beyond "buy it 'cause it's playstation"?

EDIT: Oh yeah, i suppose they just expect to sell a few million copies to absolute nerds at launch, for a massive price spike, and think about big numbers later on.
They don't even have a Gamepass-like value, to help sweeten the deal.

Raist

« Reply #580 on: June 14, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »
They've also used "value" when they talked about the PS4 price :yeshrug

You'll get your free on-disk copy of Astrobot and you'll LOVE IT.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #581 on: June 14, 2020, 03:25:26 PM »
They've also used "value" when they talked about the PS4 price :yeshrug

You'll get your free on-disk copy of Astrobot and you'll LOVE IT.
In that case it made more sens tho, 399$ was relatively cheap for a new console, and 100$ less than the competition, at launch.

mormapope

« Reply #582 on: June 14, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »
PS4 Pro is currently 399 Euro / $399

Microsoft dropped the Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X edition for 499 Euro / $399
(but it was an Xbox so one store ran a promotion for 299 Euro)

With the old generation consoles still at those prices and in high demand prior to the new generation I'm not expecting it to come in below $599 and that would honestly surprise me given the hardware that's packed into these machines.

There's also the trend of Sony 'premium pricing' all their TV's, devices and electronics.

The X/Pro are most likely going to be discontinued very soon, in favor of the S and Slim sticking around a lil bit longer. The X and Pro have been selling well due to Rona, but....why have those manufacturing costs, for consoles that are now three years old, in a generation that's seven years old?

I just got a One X second hand for 200 so Im good for now.

Wont upgrad if its more then 399.

If you dont count ps4?

Switch is at 50 million sold in three years, we'll see how well it does when it's $300 for a Switch, vs. $500/$600+ for next gen consoles.  :doge

Sure Switch is "300" bucks with that bi-yearly controller replacement :goldberg

And Mahvel is the most successul movie brand. Still is trash for any enthusiast of the medium though. :idont Though Raist is the last one that should shit on Nintendyearolds, considering he's acting the exact same but for Sony.

True regarding market appeal not equaling quality, but like I said to Lager, and to elaborate on your point, it'll be $300 versus $600 at launch.

Having an Xbone X and a massive backlog,along with cross gen being part of Microsoft's new first party stuff, a Switch for the next couple big years to fill a next gen void is definitely appealing.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:31:49 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Svejk

« Reply #583 on: June 14, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
Need that BC info.  If it is indeed BC for the majority of games out of the box, that alone is worth the price of $600, imo.  Shoot, the PS4Pro model is still sitting at $400... Why not "future proof" (I use that word loosely) your backlog for at least a few years longer (with "next-gen benefits") for an extra $200?  I got well over 200 games on PS4 currently.. It's simply a no brainer for someone so invested into the pit of despair ecosystem. 

paprikastaude

« Reply #584 on: June 14, 2020, 03:46:52 PM »
Need that BC info.  If it is indeed BC for the majority of games out of the box, that alone is worth the price of $600, imo. 

Maybe if it was PS1-4. But right now they can't even confirm full PS4 with a clear language  :foodcourt

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #585 on: June 14, 2020, 04:17:03 PM »
If it has full BC, maybe with even boostmode, how am i asked to rebuy GTAV, instead of just getting my PS4 disc in?  :doge
(I don't have GTAV on ps4, but i'm just saying).

Svejk

« Reply #586 on: June 14, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
If it has full BC, maybe with even boostmode, how am i asked to rebuy GTAV, instead of just getting my PS4 disc in?  :doge

But yeah, I totally get it (or don't per se).  That's one of my burning questions particularly for Cyberpunk 2077.  Will my PS4 version be boosted in any way?  But they up and say there'll be a free upgrade for the boner smegma X edition... what about PS4 to 5??  How much more will it be "enhanced" other than resolution?  That technical stuff is totally out of my league, but I still want answers.  :P

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #587 on: June 14, 2020, 04:33:12 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

But yeah, I totally get it (or don't per se).  That's one of my burning questions particularly for Cyberpunk 2077.  Will my PS4 version be boosted in any way?  But they up and say there'll be a free upgrade for the boner smegma X edition... what about PS4 to 5??  How much more will it be "enhanced" other than resolution?  That technical stuff is totally out of my league, but I still want answers.  :P

I can’t see soyny doing their own version of smart delivery at this point, maybe a small fee for an upgrade like they did with nba 2k14 at the start of this gen, unless they get data that the new Xbox is trending hotter or some shit :yeshrug
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #588 on: June 14, 2020, 04:48:00 PM »
Yeah, i also don't think they'll do smart delivery on PS4, but at the same time, i can't see CDP bragging about that stuff on Xbox, and then having you pay up on PS5.
Assuming it's still up to devs to eat that cost (which is also true on Xbox, they don't force anyone to abide by Smart Delivery), i assume CDP will just make the PS5 update free.

Svejk

« Reply #589 on: June 14, 2020, 05:02:13 PM »
Huh... never heard of Smart Delivery.  After looking that up, wonder how long MS will support that. 15 years down the road, buy a used copy of GTAV for XBX for $3.99 bargain bin, only to drop it into XX Box Pro Series Y Ver. 10 w/ disc drive only to upgrade to a Enhanced version that they'll still charge $30 for.  Thinking about it more, I guess they'll support it until physical media becomes irrelevant to them?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #590 on: June 14, 2020, 05:28:13 PM »
Huh... never heard of Smart Delivery.  After looking that up, wonder how long MS will support that. 15 years down the road, buy a used copy of GTAV for XBX for $3.99 bargain bin, only to drop it into XX Box Pro Series Y Ver. 10 w/ disc drive only to upgrade to a Enhanced version that they'll still charge $30 for.  Thinking about it more, I guess they'll support it until physical media becomes irrelevant to them?
Smart Delivery is only "guaranteed" on first party titles, AFAIK.
3rd parties are free to implement it (like CDP) or not.

So it could still be that you need to pay up if you want GTAV's enchancements on XboxSeX.
But BC itself should still be there regardless, with perhaps some minor automatic enhancemens (?) like 4k upscaling and HDR.

Raist

« Reply #591 on: June 14, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
The minute MS isn't getting their ass destroyed in marketshare anymore, you can bet they'll scale it back.
Remember how much better PS+ used to be?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #592 on: June 14, 2020, 06:26:01 PM »
The minute MS isn't getting their ass destroyed in marketshare anymore, you can bet they'll scale it back.
Sure, but that may take a while.

I saw people on RE (and other gaming places) expecting MS to come at this hard this coming July event, but i'm here thinking: It takes a base minimum of 2/3 years to develop a modern AAA game, make that 4 or 5 for an open world, they just bought these studios, many of which were relatively small to begin with... how are we expecting them to pull out a line up that can contrast Sony's when they've been pouring in cash in their first party stuff since PS3's second half, at least? Especially with COVID having slowed down everything slated for 2021 and beyond.

Their current chance, is just the EGS strategy of "hey, just take these "free" games!".

But maybe the Forza Horizon team really has been working on a new Fable game that will blow people's minds, i have my doubts, especially if crossgen.

mormapope

« Reply #593 on: June 14, 2020, 06:45:08 PM »
Can't wait till God of War is eventually on Game Pass in 2026 on the Xbox 10. Can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars to play that shit  :lol
OH!

Svejk

« Reply #594 on: June 14, 2020, 06:50:51 PM »
Can't wait till God of War is eventually on Game Pass in 2026 on the Xbox 10. Can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars to play that shit  :lol
By that time, the monthly subscription will be like $40.  :doge

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #595 on: June 14, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »

Tbh I think smart delivery won’t amount to much more than what a Xbox one x or PS4 pro patch for current gen games was a few years ago. With Sony’s first party and the lite cult they have though they‘ll probably sell you ‘remasters’ from their PS4 library instead
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #596 on: June 14, 2020, 07:06:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/SavedYouAClickV/status/1272299938181861376

:thinking 

Can't see it being that cheap at release, but if it is, it's gonna sell right out at launch.  But then...it's gonna sell right out at launch no matter how much it costs.

Need that BC info.  If it is indeed BC for the majority of games out of the box, that alone is worth the price of $600, imo.  Shoot, the PS4Pro model is still sitting at $400... Why not "future proof" (I use that word loosely) your backlog for at least a few years longer (with "next-gen benefits") for an extra $200?  I got well over 200 games on PS4 currently.. It's simply a no brainer for someone so invested into the pit of despair ecosystem.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-backwards-compatibility-ps4-compatible-playstation-6300#section-2
During the PS5 system specs deep dive in March 2020, Mike Cerny revealed that nearly all of the top 100 PS4 games (ranked by playtime) would be playable on the PS5 at launch.

This was later elaborated on in a post by Hideaki Nishino on the official PlayStation blog about the PS5 specs. There it was explained that Sony hopes that the majority of games released for the PS4 will be playable on the PS5.

It's important to note that only games from the top 100 games played by PS4 users will be backwards compatible by launch and, even then, the whole list might not be available. The list of backwards compatible games for the PS5 will steadily grow after the console's release, similar to, we imagine, how the list of 360 games playable on the Xbox One has grown since it's debut.

So not everything will work and it's possible it may never be the entire library, which sucks.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #597 on: June 14, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »
Sure, but that may take a while.

I saw people on RE (and other gaming places) expecting MS to come at this hard this coming July event, but i'm here thinking: It takes a base minimum of 2/3 years to develop a modern AAA game, make that 4 or 5 for an open world, they just bought these studios, many of which were relatively small to begin with... how are we expecting them to pull out a line up that can contrast Sony's when they've been pouring in cash in their first party stuff since PS3's second half, at least? Especially with COVID having slowed down everything slated for 2021 and beyond.

Their current chance, is just the EGS strategy of "hey, just take these "free" games!".

But maybe the Forza Horizon team really has been working on a new Fable game that will blow people's minds, i have my doubts, especially if crossgen.
They're probably going to try and score the nostalgia points.

The initiative doing Perfect Dark, Fable by PlayGround maybe a Banjo reboot by Double Fine?
Especially PD should be relatively easy to do.

So you'd be looking at:

(launch?)
- Hellblade 2
- HALO Infinite
- Forza Motorsport
- MS Flight Simulator
- Sea of Thieves Series X enhanced
(I expected a bunch of 'souped' up BC games)

(2021?)
- Age of Empires IV
- Everwild
- Fable
- Perfect Dark
- Forza Horizon
- Gears of War 6

Which would be a stronger line-up than they've had in a decade.
I think MS is in an ok position if they can release 4 - 6 'big' first party games a year next to the occasional Cupheads and Oni's.

Anyhow, another reason why I think these boys will be expensive is their size:

Both PS5 and Xbox Series X are quite large compared to earlier consoles hinting at not only expensive hardware but also expensive cooling solutions.
They're basically just PC's now.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #598 on: June 14, 2020, 07:56:15 PM »
No way they have Hellblade 2 for launch.
I don't even think it's a 2021 title.

The game just swiutched engine to UE5, which isn't even coming out till end of 2021, now ofc. thay have preferential treatment, but if they're still that early as to be able to switch around engine, there's no way they're out by the holidays.

Forza Motorsport and Halo Inf. are the only big titles i think are plausible for launch (and Forza is still a niche product).
And tbh, 343 still has to demonstrate the ability to do a decent Halo experience, not a sure fire hit at all.
By comparison Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, are much better established studios.

MS Flight Sim looks amazing, but it's also super niche.

Thing is, even in the nostalgia department, they don't all that much.

If they cultivate these studios well, i think we'll see the benefits by halfway through the gen.

BisMarckie

« Reply #599 on: June 14, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »
After reading a lot of stuff about the PS5 load times and their new UI that loads in milliseconds. Am I the only weirdo who isn't bothered by load times and the current UI's response time all that much? Sure, it would be nice to have everything instantly, but it's not as big a deal to me, especially compared to people who say it's a game changer.  :doge