Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 146363 times)

Boredfrom

Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #660 on: June 05, 2022, 03:34:22 PM »
I think you are overestimating how much big papers care about the quality of celebrity gossip and tech sections of their news papers. Because for them, hiring a tumblerina is a “step up in quality”.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #661 on: June 05, 2022, 03:46:29 PM »
No one is overestimating anything.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #662 on: June 05, 2022, 04:47:34 PM »
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #663 on: June 05, 2022, 05:23:50 PM »

🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #664 on: June 05, 2022, 07:12:20 PM »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #665 on: June 06, 2022, 01:15:11 PM »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #666 on: June 06, 2022, 01:23:32 PM »
This CNN guy just sitting there enjoying the show  :popcorn

Boredfrom

« Reply #667 on: June 06, 2022, 02:25:46 PM »
So I needed to search why misidentify Breonna Muir with  Breonna Taylor was offensive to her:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Breonna_Taylor

No idea on how you can prove he didn’t just confused names unless he has been acting like an asshole behind cameras to her.

Probably the best idea to keep it private if that is your only prove.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #668 on: June 06, 2022, 02:41:27 PM »
Someone once called my Jimmy and you can bet your ass I did everything I could to get him cancelled 
:O

Tuckers Law

« Reply #669 on: June 06, 2022, 09:22:07 PM »
Don't you let anyone steal your joy, Jimbo!

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #670 on: June 06, 2022, 09:34:19 PM »
Jimmy mad

Jimmy wants ups

Jimmys gonna get what he wants.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #671 on: June 06, 2022, 10:21:04 PM »
George’s Jimmy’s getting upset!
Margs

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #672 on: June 06, 2022, 10:21:27 PM »
Mods please change james' username to jimmy tyia

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, his tag to "Donate to the JIMMY FUND"
[close]

BisMarckie

« Reply #673 on: June 06, 2022, 10:24:40 PM »
TFW you watched enough local Boston sports broadcasts to know what the jimmy fund is :ego

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #675 on: June 07, 2022, 03:26:38 AM »
Georgetown then suspended Shapiro pending the results of an “investigation,” which took more than three months, even though the only source material to investigate was three short tweets that Shapiro wrote and deleted.

The actual cause of the delay was an irresolvable contradiction between the University’s free-speech policy and demands of student protesters. Georgetown’s official policy pledges to safeguard the “free and open inquiry, deliberation and debate in all matters, and the untrammeled verbal and nonverbal expression of ideas.” Protesters depicted Shapiro’s tweets as causing damage so severe they could not tolerate his continued employment.

Georgetown’s solution was to evade the contradiction. It concluded its investigation by determining Shapiro could not be punished because he had not yet begun his job at Georgetown. (Presumably Georgetown could have discovered this fact in a considerably shorter time period than three months.)

However, Shapiro reports, the school’s Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Affirmative Action sent a report calling for “appropriate corrective measures” for his “objectively offensive comments” — Shapiro is not the only person involved who thinks the word objective means the opposite of what it actually does — “and to prevent the recurrence of offensive conduct based on race, gender, and sex.”

“The University’s anti-harassment policy does not require that a respondent intend to denigrate,” the report says, according to Shapiro. “Instead, the Policy requires consideration of the ‘purpose or effect’ of a respondent’s conduct.” The emphasis on effect allows anybody to claim that ideas they find offensive have harmed or threatened them, and obligates the University to punish whoever has uttered them.

Georgetown has previously (and correctly) allowed left-leaning scholars to express ideas that could certainly be construed as offensive or threatening. Shapiro cites professor Carol Christine Fair of the School of Foreign Service tweeting during Justice Kavanaugh’s confirmation process: “Look at this chorus of entitled white men justifying a serial rapist’s arrogated entitlement. All of them deserve miserable deaths while feminists laugh as they take their last gasps. Bonus: we castrate their corpses and feed them to swine? Yes.”
nice :lawd

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #676 on: June 07, 2022, 04:18:48 AM »
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #677 on: June 07, 2022, 10:48:03 AM »
Did she just make fun of the people making up latinx while saying you shouldn't make fun of the term?

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #678 on: June 07, 2022, 02:06:09 PM »
"Language is fluid"

Ok, Latinos is now gender neutral

"No, not like that!"

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #679 on: June 07, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »
"language is fluid"

I know that's why I phonetically pronounce lgbt as "lugbutt" (as in: it's lugbutt pride month) and encourage everyone I know to adopt it as well

don't complain, language is fluid and I'm embracing its fluidity
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #680 on: June 07, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »
Another great legislative victory for the squad  8)
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #681 on: June 07, 2022, 04:20:51 PM »
"language is fluid"

I know that's why I phonetically pronounce lgbt as "lugbutt" (as in: it's lugbutt pride month) and encourage everyone I know to adopt it as well

don't complain, language is fluid and I'm embracing its fluidity
Well, you've convinced me this is the future. Lugbutt it is!
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #682 on: June 07, 2022, 04:23:03 PM »
lugbutae

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #683 on: June 07, 2022, 04:34:25 PM »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #685 on: June 08, 2022, 03:28:40 AM »
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #686 on: June 08, 2022, 03:38:16 AM »
Every woman knows that people who like jokes don't respect women:

benjipwns

« Reply #687 on: June 08, 2022, 03:42:35 AM »

how does this always happen

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #688 on: June 08, 2022, 03:57:36 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I told you that in confidence!

benjipwns

« Reply #689 on: June 08, 2022, 04:17:34 AM »

I told you that in confidence!
Welcome to The Washington Post office rules, shitlord!

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #690 on: June 08, 2022, 03:43:41 PM »

:brain

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #691 on: June 08, 2022, 03:54:37 PM »
lol Breitbart is still going?
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #693 on: June 08, 2022, 06:50:17 PM »
And this is why you handle this shit internally

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #694 on: June 08, 2022, 10:07:38 PM »

:brain

He's also a gun owner, and has a pro-2nd-Amendment stance. But like most Americans, he's tired of gun violence and wants to see stronger controls in place.

I have friends who served in the Marines. Each is pro-gun, and pro-EVERYONE-owning guns, and I ask them, "Didn't you train? Didn't you have to re-qualify for being allowed to keep your gun, in your job that required you to have a gun?"

I just want people who have access to guns to know what they're using, and be responsible for how they're used. We do it with cars, we need to do it with guns.

benjipwns

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #696 on: June 09, 2022, 12:55:05 AM »
Yet you've used guns in playacting. Curious. I am very smart.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #697 on: June 09, 2022, 01:20:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/hpmacd/status/1534591496267124739
Content warning: This column contains references to disordered eating.

Sharp stomach pains distracted me as I sit in a CS section during my first quarter at Stanford in the fall of 2017. I hadn’t eaten enough that morning, as my mind convinced me to take a very small portion of the “healthiest” vegetarian food I could find in the dining hall. I was too stressed to even attempt a dining hall lunch, and was now stuck waiting until dinner.

After thinking about my hunger for most of the section, I made my way to the dining hall after class, but I could bring myself to eat only a plate of grilled cauliflower. And before I even finished that, it was time to go to my nighttime economics section.

The specific type of disordered eating I experience has not been diagnosed, but it can be described as a compulsion to eat less than needed when I’m either in social settings or when I have trouble estimating the amount of food I’m consuming.

In theory, Stanford’s dining halls present students with the opportunity to eat as much as they need given its buffet format. Yet students like me may struggle to take enough of any of the available food when they are charged with portioning it themselves.

Disordered eating does not affect everyone in the same way. What helps me could make matters worse for others and vice versa. Still, there are basic actions the University could take to be more supportive of students who may not get enough food otherwise.

Provide pre-portioned options in dining halls, alongside their buffet-style counterparts, for students who experience stress associated with buffet-style dining. Stanford has been pre-portioning food throughout the pandemic, and it can continue that practice even when the buffet style returns. Like ordering food at a restaurant, receiving a predefined serving of something is much less stressful for me than portioning it myself, especially when surrounded by peers.
Give all students on any meal plan unlimited swipes so they may visit and revisit any dining hall whenever they choose. Stanford Dining says the meal plan is required to ensure students have “easy access to food.” If that’s the case, it makes no sense that there is a limit to the number of swipes students receive on any of the offered plans, especially from a health and wellness perspective. Punishing students who “didn’t plan well” by withholding food is unacceptable. And it could be especially harmful to those who can’t afford to buy food whenever they realize they need it. This practice would also assist students who leave a dining hall without eating enough and can’t swipe back in for more.
Educate the student body regarding disordered eating and the resources available on and off campus. Before I began at Stanford, I received an email from the University about how I identified as someone who had experienced disordered eating. I didn’t seek help and was never again contacted about it. The fact that this email was the only dedicated outreach, especially for someone with a history of disordered eating, is deeply concerning. Students could benefit from a session during NSO, but they need recurring outreach to remind them of resources available.

While changes to meal swipes, education and outreach on disordered eating did not happen in my time at Stanford, I caught a glimpse of what pre-portioned food could do to alleviate my stress when Stanford required it in dining halls due to the pandemic in March 2020.

Pre-pandemic, I was comfortable taking only a few things from dining halls: mostly the bagels, English muffins and veggie burger patties, because they were pre-portioned. Even then, I felt self-conscious about walking in and stuffing things into my backpack. Pandemic dining gave me increased options without any of the stress I experienced previously.

While brief, the comparison was stark — after all, I had spent two and a half school years under the buffet system. Because that system caused me so much stress, I chose to spend most of the money I received from on-campus work — money that not all students have at their disposal — toward day-to-day nourishment at restaurants and supermarkets.

Once I started buying my food instead of using the meal plan, my health improved, and I didn’t find myself painfully hungry. I wish Stanford had included this kind of option in its dining halls. Disordered eating can happen to anyone at any time. If someone finds themselves not feeling up to the buffet style at any point, the alternative should be available without extra cost.

Despite my struggles, I never sought help with my disordered eating from Stanford. But it’s not fair to place the blame squarely on my shoulders. Simple changes to campus dining could help students without relying on their time and energy when they are not ready to seek help.

While there are changes that Stanford needs to make, the below resources are already available to students:

Vaden has a guide, including general online resources and Stanford-specific resources ranging from nutrition counseling and visits (solo and group appointments are unlimited for students living on campus) to CAPS sessions and Vaden medical services. It is also possible to organize group workshops via the Vaden Flourishing Alliance.
Stanford Dining offers exemptions to the meal plan “for serious medical issues/disabilities or religious reasons.” It also offers “support for students with food allergies and specialized dietary requirements through the Food Allergies @ Stanford program.” That program’s webpage also has religious accommodations listed below the allergies section.

I was unaware of most of these resources before doing research for this article. That alone is a problem Stanford needs to fix. It’s also true, however, that I never used the resources I knew about. The University can’t rely on students to explicitly ask for help — so system-level changes like the ones I’ve described are so important.

Giving all students on a meal plan unlimited access to open dining halls, providing non-buffet options in the dining halls and reminding students of the resources available to them in a transparent and sensitive manner are not big asks. Yet they could have made a huge difference for my Stanford experience.

If nothing else, this is an issue Stanford should start addressing more proactively with students through outreach, surveys, open conversations and more. Disordered eating can happen to anyone at any time — lack of proactivity by the University can be damaging to all of us.
No, no, "Holden Saige Foreman" is not a real person. This is completely made up. This is some kind of money laundering thing.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #698 on: June 09, 2022, 01:28:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/hpmacd/status/1534591496267124739
*Removed unhinged "why won't everyone acknowledge my undiagnosed and unclassified and most likely made up eating disorder" rant
No, no, "Holden Saige Foreman" is not a real person. This is completely made up. This is some kind of money laundering thing.
Why does none of this surprise me?
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

« Reply #700 on: June 09, 2022, 06:28:59 PM »
Always. Tweet. From. An. Anonymous. Burner. Account.

james

« Reply #701 on: June 09, 2022, 06:31:02 PM »
Bye Felicia!

benjipwns

« Reply #702 on: June 09, 2022, 06:32:43 PM »
So her plan to jump from a job she hates into a social media superstar who the misogynists at the Washington Post tried to silence worked out?

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #704 on: June 09, 2022, 08:56:28 PM »
So her plan to jump from a job she hates into a social media superstar who the misogynists at the Washington Post tried to silence worked out?

Not sure what her plan was but if this is what success looks like it was a really shitty plan.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #705 on: June 09, 2022, 09:54:53 PM »
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

benjipwns

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #708 on: June 10, 2022, 10:51:29 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #709 on: June 10, 2022, 05:53:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1535228689046282242
Their snarky memes and trendy videos are riling up thousands of followers on divisive issues including abortion, guns, immigration and LGBTQ rights. The Department of Homeland Security warned Tuesday that such skewed framing of the subjects could drive extremists to violently attack public places across the U.S. in the coming months.

References to hate-filled ideologies are more elusive across mainstream platforms like Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Telegram. To avoid detection from artificial intelligence-powered moderation, users don’t use obvious terms like “white genocide” or “white power” in conversation.

They signal their beliefs in other ways: a Christian cross emoji in their profile or words like “anglo” or “pilled,” a term embraced by far-right chatrooms, in usernames. Most recently, some of these accounts have borrowed the pop song “White Boy Summer” to cheer on the leaked Supreme Court draft opinion on Roe v. Wade, according to an analysis by Zignal Labs, a social media intelligence firm.

U.S. extremists are mimicking the social media strategy used by the Islamic State group, which turned to subtle language and images across Telegram, Facebook and YouTube a decade ago to evade the industry-wide crackdown of the terrorist group’s online presence, said Mia Bloom, a communications professor at Georgia State University.

“They’re trying to recruit,” said Bloom, who has researched social media use for both Islamic State terrorists and far-right extremists. “We’re starting to see some of the same patterns with ISIS and the far-right. The coded speech, the ways to evade AI. The groups were appealing to a younger and younger crowd.”

For example, on Instagram, one of the most popular apps for teens and young adults, white supremacists amplify each other’s content daily and point their followers to new accounts.

As society becomes more accepting of LGBTQ rights, the issue may be especially triggering for young men who have held traditional beliefs around relationships and marriage, Bloom said.

“That might explain the vulnerability to radical belief systems: A lot of the beliefs that they grew up with, that they held rather firmly, are being shaken,” she said. “That’s where it becomes an opportunity for these groups: They’re lashing out and they’re picking on things that are very different.”
I trust they'll catch Nintex yet. :american

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #710 on: June 10, 2022, 06:13:12 PM »
They hint darkly that the CIA or the FBI are behind mass shootings.

Michael German, who infiltrated white supremacy groups as an FBI agent

:info

In one Instagram post identified by The Associated Press, an account called White Primacy appeared to post a photo of a billboard that describes a common way Jewish people were exterminated during the Holocaust.

Instagram is literally just thots, ads, cats and endless product placement, you'd need to do some real digging to find this boomer meme billboard shit Mia.  :foodcourt
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #711 on: June 10, 2022, 10:11:45 PM »

:hmm

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #714 on: June 13, 2022, 03:40:33 PM »

:hmm

Why do they all says "met through _____"  except for family?

:thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #715 on: June 14, 2022, 01:58:11 AM »
https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/the-good-white-man-roster

So many brave Culture War veterans saluted for their sacrifices in the great conflict by Freddie. :salute

I can't decide whether Jason Stanley's single sentence or Will Wilkinson's photo will have more collateral damage. (Possibly Chase Strangio trying to use the entire ACLU budget against a Substack post.)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #717 on: June 14, 2022, 11:16:44 AM »
https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/the-good-white-man-roster

So many brave Culture War veterans saluted for their sacrifices in the great conflict by Freddie. :salute

I can't decide whether Jason Stanley's single sentence or Will Wilkinson's photo will have more collateral damage. (Possibly Chase Strangio trying to use the entire ACLU budget against a Substack post.)

Dutch directness :lawd

idk who any of these heroes are but do enjoy a good blue tick shitting piece.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 11:23:00 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

benjipwns

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #719 on: June 15, 2022, 07:18:45 AM »
If there was a top x worst people on Twitter award Tay Tay would run away with number 1 for 2022, what a fucking weasel.
(ice)