Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 144602 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #720 on: June 15, 2022, 11:52:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/ofctimallen/status/1536782789596434432

I don't know what's worse. That a dad joke by Tim Allen becomes a cultural focal point or that so many don't even get the joke

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #721 on: June 15, 2022, 12:02:37 PM »
I read it as skittles and didnt understand
:O

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #722 on: June 15, 2022, 12:46:33 PM »
If there was a top x worst people on Twitter award Tay Tay would run away with number 1 for 2022, what a fucking weasel.
Blue Checks and their allies seem to love white women (and white male feminists) who appoint themselves to act like cops all day. :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #723 on: June 15, 2022, 12:54:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/CarlaHSands/status/1535091239246340104
I like how even CNN is in: "Buckle up folks, it's only going to get worse" mode.
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #724 on: June 15, 2022, 05:55:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/ofctimallen/status/1536782789596434432

I don't know what's worse. That a dad joke by Tim Allen becomes a cultural focal point or that so many don't even get the joke

I had to read this three times to realized it did not say skittles.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #725 on: June 18, 2022, 11:44:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/MaximMag/status/1537470448014958592

And during pride month no less. The tide truely is turning.
🤴

benjipwns

benjipwns

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #729 on: June 19, 2022, 05:33:00 AM »
All these new groups aesthetics seem based on Generic Bandit Bad Guy group from GaaS Ubisoft products.  :doge
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #730 on: June 19, 2022, 08:05:48 AM »
The Division got the character models right but forgot about the trucks

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #731 on: June 19, 2022, 09:06:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/Jim_Gannon/status/1537902178819444739

:hmm

Spoiler: the person who got mad about the purse being moved most probably would have bitched about the lady's white privilege if she left it there :society
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #732 on: June 19, 2022, 01:34:27 PM »
Yet you've used guns in playacting. Curious. I am very smart.

Wait, are you saying movies aren't real???

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #735 on: June 20, 2022, 12:15:02 PM »
 :thinking

I guess if a victim cannot be identified, then the victim is the person the joke is inflicted upon

"why did the chicken cross the road? to get to the other side [you fucking moron, you who incorrectly assumed there might be some other meaningful reason for doing so]"

technically this joke is ablist
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Tuckers Law

« Reply #737 on: June 20, 2022, 05:45:53 PM »
Can’t tell if real or memes.

benjipwns

« Reply #738 on: June 21, 2022, 03:13:12 PM »
When singer-songwriter Lizzo's new single, "Grrrls," sparked a heated online discussion over the weekend about ableist language, Black disabled activist Vilissa Thompson noticed that the conversations were dominated by certain people within the disability community.

White disabled people in the U.S. and the U.K. were calling out the singer for using the word "spaz," which many consider an ableist slur. Buried among these critiques, however, was the perspective of Black disabled people, who raised points about the need for cultural nuance and an intersectional lens to the situation.

"The erasure of Black disabled people, when it comes to a Black entertainer, has been very prominent throughout this whole thing," Thompson, a licensed master social worker, told NPR.

In online conversations, white disabled people in the U.S. and the U.K were speaking about their experiences with the word. Meanwhile, Black people in the U.S. and the U.K. pointed out how the word, which some say is a part of African American Vernacular English, is used differently by Black people within their countries. Thompson wished there were an amplification of Black disabled people who understand the nuances of those who use the word and those who are reclaiming it.

She pointed out that language evolves and that if the history of the word is offensive or has been used to oppress a particular group, it's on each person to unlearn it.

"The onus is on us to not just unlearn but also update and improve the way that we communicate with each other, so that our words are intentionally used, so that they don't cause unintentional harm," Thompson said.

Thompson believes that the way people go about critiquing others is very important. In reading the discussions online, she said she noticed they perpetuated anti-Blackness and misogynoir, or misogyny directed at Black women.

She noted that rather than fostering an open dialogue about ableist language and engaging in a conversation with Lizzo about it, the critiques piled on and missed the mark.

"I was shocked but not surprised by the way that white disabled people, especially those who claim to be in solidarity with Black disabled people, engaged in the conversation. You are not in solidarity with us if your behavior during this time in addressing Lizzo can be read as problematic [and] offensive," Thompson said.

"I'm always particular about how white people and non-Black people of color engage with Black women who look a certain way. [Lizzo is] unintentionally a polarizing figure ... because she has the audacity to be comfortable in her skin as a fat Black woman. If she does something that people don't like, the pile-ons feel exacerbated, and at times unnecessarily, when it comes to her," she said.

benjipwns

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #740 on: June 21, 2022, 03:54:23 PM »
When singer-songwriter Lizzo's new single, "Grrrls," sparked a heated online discussion over the weekend about ableist language, Black disabled activist Vilissa Thompson noticed that the conversations were dominated by certain people within the disability community.

White disabled people in the U.S. and the U.K. were calling out the singer for using the word "spaz," which many consider an ableist slur. Buried among these critiques, however, was the perspective of Black disabled people, who raised points about the need for cultural nuance and an intersectional lens to the situation.

"The erasure of Black disabled people, when it comes to a Black entertainer, has been very prominent throughout this whole thing," Thompson, a licensed master social worker, told NPR.

In online conversations, white disabled people in the U.S. and the U.K were speaking about their experiences with the word. Meanwhile, Black people in the U.S. and the U.K. pointed out how the word, which some say is a part of African American Vernacular English, is used differently by Black people within their countries. Thompson wished there were an amplification of Black disabled people who understand the nuances of those who use the word and those who are reclaiming it.

She pointed out that language evolves and that if the history of the word is offensive or has been used to oppress a particular group, it's on each person to unlearn it.

"The onus is on us to not just unlearn but also update and improve the way that we communicate with each other, so that our words are intentionally used, so that they don't cause unintentional harm," Thompson said.

Thompson believes that the way people go about critiquing others is very important. In reading the discussions online, she said she noticed they perpetuated anti-Blackness and misogynoir, or misogyny directed at Black women.

She noted that rather than fostering an open dialogue about ableist language and engaging in a conversation with Lizzo about it, the critiques piled on and missed the mark.

"I was shocked but not surprised by the way that white disabled people, especially those who claim to be in solidarity with Black disabled people, engaged in the conversation. You are not in solidarity with us if your behavior during this time in addressing Lizzo can be read as problematic [and] offensive," Thompson said.

"I'm always particular about how white people and non-Black people of color engage with Black women who look a certain way. [Lizzo is] unintentionally a polarizing figure ... because she has the audacity to be comfortable in her skin as a fat Black woman. If she does something that people don't like, the pile-ons feel exacerbated, and at times unnecessarily, when it comes to her," she said.
Using derogatory language while black
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #741 on: June 21, 2022, 03:56:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/Stanford_lands/status/1538784779406954496

"Not satisfied with destroying her current career, Taylor decided the time was ripe to destroy her future careers too!"
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #742 on: June 21, 2022, 05:48:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/Stanford_lands/status/1538784779406954496

*Lorenz jumps on guy for jokingly announcing he has covid*

*People jump on her in return*

"Omg, why is everyone jumping on Lorenz"

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #743 on: June 21, 2022, 06:36:15 PM »
Lol of course that Hobbs dude is simping :neogaf
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #744 on: June 22, 2022, 01:21:07 AM »
It is time for us to unite in thinking as a democracy about character and recognize that such abuses of power affect more than just the immediate victims. A parallel case that comes to mind is that of arguably the most famous thinker of the classical Athenian democracy—Socrates. Socrates’s flawed character, despite his superb teaching and scholarship, was ultimately his undoing in the Athenian context. How?

For decades, Socrates was the leading public intellectual in Athens, grooming students to be thoughtful and engaged citizens. In the process, he was also grooming them in other ways, sleeping with at least one of them—Alcibiades. Ultimately, the results of Socrates’s teaching were decidedly problematic. His students went on to overthrow the Athenian democracy twice in the final decade of the Peloponnesian War.

And so, when the Athenians put Socrates on trial in 399 B.C.E. on charges of impiety and corrupting the youth, it seems that they were judging, more than anything, his character. Specifically, seeing the fruits of his teaching in his students, the Athenians saw his character as dangerous to the democracy. Socrates’s defense in the process, about the high quality of his scholarship as the “gadfly” stinging Athenians into thinking more deeply, sounded as tone-deaf to those Athenians who voted to condemn him as Katz’s own words ring now to some. Cancellations of public intellectuals are never random. They represent a character judgment that should unite the left and the right, so-called liberals and conservatives, those who espouse a faith and those who live with a secular compass.

In the Athenian democracy, Socrates was able to get away with unethical behavior for decades, until the Athenians just could not take it anymore. Some leading thinkers in many areas today, whether the SBC or American academe, have also gotten away for too long with abuse—of students, of colleagues, of family members, of members of their community. But theirs is not the only story, thankfully. These same organizations also include, albeit sometimes less comfortably and certainly more quietly, thinkers and professors who care deeply for their students and communities and who produce scholarship that reflects their virtue. As the calls to cancel known abusers and harassers increase, it is time to make character judgments openly and celebrate decency of character.
Socrates can FFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK OOOOOFFFFOOOOOOFFFFFFF! :camby
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 01:26:11 AM by benjipwns »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #745 on: June 22, 2022, 03:16:31 AM »
We're really arguing that Socrates' trial was anything more than a sham designed to get rid of an inconvenient critic and that we should follow the example set by the Athenians?
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #746 on: June 23, 2022, 02:38:34 AM »
Vilifying Amber Heard Shows We Learned Nothing From GamerGate
People can’t stand imperfect women—not in the Depp v. Heard Trial, or in games, or anywhere

By Ashley Bardhan
Yesterday 4:05PM

“She’s not a perfect victim,” Mariska Hargitay says in Law and Order: SVU. Recent headlines say the same about Amber Heard. Heard said as much about herself. “But,” Hargitay says, “she is not making this up.”

I let Law and Order play on TV while I do other mindless things, like scrubbing the floor or scribbling in my journal. Like other abuse victims I know, I find comfort in a TV show that pretends victims can really win. But hearing Hargitay say those words brought my attention back to our less paradisial reality, where Amber Heard, whose name has been like a neon bar sign at the back of my head for the past two months, is still glued to online vitriol. People keep pushing for her to get cut from Aquaman 2 and posting pictures of Johnny Depp wearing a crop top 38 years ago. You can’t do anything online without seeing him smiling, seeing unwarranted hate for her. It feels inescapable, and I feel that people hate imperfect women more than they’re able to state clearly.

No one remembers what the trial was really about, but you couldn’t escape a single gory detail, not on popular Twitch streams orchestrated by cackling gaming personalities, or on TikTok, where Depp worshipers turned Heard’s testimony into millions of likes, or Instagram, or YouTube. It’s everywhere. But contrary to what our information overload would have you believe, this trial wasn’t about who people on Twitter find more personable, or who has been in more nostalgic childhood films, or who looked hotter in the ‘90s. It was a defamation trial about three vague sentences in a 2018 op-ed where Heard references her personal experience with sexual violence and abuse.

She does not mention Johnny Depp in the op-ed, but he sued her for $50 million in damages. Before this trial, Depp tried suing for libel after British tabloid The Sun called him a “wife beater,” a phrase a U.K. judge found to be accurate after deeming 12 counts of alleged assault proven.

It’s unsurprising that the judge ruled this way. You’ve probably seen Heard’s face purple with healing bruises or Depp’s bleeding middle finger, which he gives conflicting accounts on how he severed (Heard threw a bottle? It got smashed in a closing door?), though he agrees that he used its dripping wound to write Heard threatening red messages. He sent vile text messages about Heard that his attorney said were inspired by “literary giants like Hunter S. Thompson,” including a text to actor Paul Bettany that said “I will fuck her burnt corpse afterward to make sure she is dead.” How literary.

Heard lived through Depp’s proven abuse, but her name and the abuse victims she represents—imperfect because we’re crying, because domestic abuse is emotionally knotty and Heard said she still loves him—are thrown away. Our stories are scrutinized, denied because…why? Is it about movies again?

It can’t just be about movies. To me, this reaction to Heard’s imperfections is a deluge of hate that has always existed. Sometimes it gets buried—in the beginning of the #MeToo movement, believing women was more socially acceptable because women banded together, nevermind the fact that everyone already knew Harvey Weinstein was a piece of shit. But then there are darker times in pop culture, like when the world laughed as a broken Britney Spears lashed out at swarming paparazzi with an umbrella, or when GamerGate sneered and drew an ugly line in the sand: Women, especially complex women, aren’t welcome here.

Complex women can’t be perfect. People, including other women, want physical beauty, the virginal porcelain face of Jane Eyre not the wild-haired Bertha Mason (the man locks her in the attic, and somehow she’s the crazy one?), or in video games, the pink Princess Peaches, the curvy Lara Crofts. But they also demand emotional perfection. Quietness, level headedness, no conflicting facial expressions like Amber Heard had, sobbing one second and sober the next. People don’t want to see anything that indicates that this woman, pretty as she is, is really just a human. She makes mistakes. Sometimes she hits back, or she misspeaks.

When a woman misspeaks because the situation she described was so painful she wanted to forget it, because a litigious man with as much power and money as Depp has tried smacking the memory out of her, I want to say the world will come to her aid. We’re supposedly post-GamerGate, post-MeToo. I want to believe that we are all now equipped with the basic understanding that abuse is multifaceted, sometimes subtle, always insidious, and confusing. But Heard continues to be abused in the court of public opinion, and as a result, other real, imperfect victims know for certain that we aren’t supported. Not until we get our stories straight or our tears in line. That’s why I watch idyllic shows like SVU. It’s not real. It probably never will be, but I can’t stop myself from hoping.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #748 on: June 23, 2022, 12:23:45 PM »
We're really arguing that Socrates' trial was anything more than a sham designed to get rid of an inconvenient critic and that we should follow the example set by the Athenians?

Yeah reading that made my head spin. Socrates' trial is like the most famous historical kangaroo court ever outside Jesus and Pilate.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #749 on: June 23, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1539994187881480193

I always admire Netflix' skill to piss off both the pride gang and the conservatives.
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #750 on: June 23, 2022, 02:07:16 PM »

Yeah reading that made my head spin. Socrates' trial is like the most famous historical kangaroo court ever outside Jesus and Pilate.

I think I would have to disagree with this considering kangaroos were not introduced to the world at large until 1629
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #751 on: June 23, 2022, 03:34:15 PM »

I think I would have to disagree with this considering kangaroos were not introduced to the world at large until 1629

"Kangaroo court is a term they coined in Australia !"
- Alex Jones

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Paraphrased but a real segment of one of his shows.
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not that uncommon a misconception though.
[close]
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #753 on: June 23, 2022, 08:05:05 PM »
I already could tell they weren't a liberal due to the joe rogan experience license plate
Uncle

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #754 on: June 23, 2022, 08:09:15 PM »
I already could tell they weren't a liberal due to the joe rogan experience license plate
:rofl

-- nice.

benjipwns

« Reply #755 on: June 23, 2022, 10:53:04 PM »
1448? Not slick what they're trying to dogwhistle with this. :social

Tasty

« Reply #756 on: June 23, 2022, 11:06:36 PM »
1448 was my favorite Stephen King short. The movie with Sam Jackson and John Cusack was pretty good too.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #758 on: June 25, 2022, 04:53:08 PM »
 :woody

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #760 on: June 26, 2022, 06:04:15 AM »
I know the thread was shared elsewhere but I didn't see those followups then and :what
https://twitter.com/EricRWeinstein/status/1538690219808919554
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #761 on: June 26, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #762 on: June 26, 2022, 08:32:36 AM »
I know the thread was shared elsewhere but I didn't see those followups then and :what
https://twitter.com/EricRWeinstein/status/1538690219808919554

Someone shuld reply with, 'well what have you ever done?' and watch him melt the fuck down :rash
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 09:01:38 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #764 on: June 26, 2022, 07:06:34 PM »
Oh, my God, that's disgusting! Asian mail order brides? Where? Where did the link go to?
:O

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #767 on: June 27, 2022, 05:44:52 PM »

:lol

:lol
IYKYK

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #769 on: June 27, 2022, 05:52:43 PM »

https://twitter.com/SSBJournal/status/1541508636362555395
 :hesright

What a based tweet. Gamers are the most oppressed minority in America.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #770 on: June 27, 2022, 05:55:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/thelaylanoor/status/1541140118693625857

Its a genuine shame that twitter has broken some people so much that they can only blurt out the same old slogans, rhetoric and platitudes even though they barely make any sense, instead of some independent thought.
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #771 on: June 27, 2022, 05:59:07 PM »

Its a genuine shame that twitter has broken some people so much that they can only blurt out the same old slogans, rhetoric and platitudes even though they barely make any sense, instead of some independent thought.

This isn't some lol fuck da libs ting either, you don't have to look that far to find rightoids doing the same shit too :trumps
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #772 on: June 27, 2022, 06:00:44 PM »

This isn't some lol fuck da libs ting either, you don't have to look that far to find rightoids doing the same shit too :trumps

Completely agree. Twitter is where the internet goes to die.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #773 on: June 27, 2022, 06:57:37 PM »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #775 on: June 28, 2022, 08:10:34 AM »
The diaper  :walkaway

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #776 on: June 28, 2022, 11:16:31 AM »
furries and adult diaper creeps is the cross over I didn't need to know existed :info
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #777 on: June 28, 2022, 11:23:03 AM »
oh it's not an adult
Uncle

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #778 on: June 28, 2022, 11:30:03 AM »
why do this to me bruv :tocry