Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140993 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #38520 on: February 14, 2021, 01:00:05 PM »
How's the comic? Never bothered with it.

Tasty

« Reply #38521 on: February 14, 2021, 01:19:36 PM »
Can't go wrong with 80's Alan Moore IMO.

Tasty

« Reply #38522 on: February 14, 2021, 07:25:38 PM »

Whoah. This guy shot six weeks as V! Not as bad as doing the whole movie then James Earl Jones dubbing you after, but damn. He sounded pretty hyped, and honestly his voice isn't too far off.

I would never, ever replace Weaving, but I hope it was a case of him choosing to leave rather than "Oh shit Hugo's available? See ya Jimmy!"

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38523 on: February 14, 2021, 07:43:54 PM »
Such a shame they replaced him for Red Skull in The Avengers and he won't be in Matrix 4  :'(
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38524 on: February 14, 2021, 08:25:44 PM »
"Is it meaningless to apologize?"

"Never."

Snoopycat_

« Reply #38525 on: February 14, 2021, 08:32:14 PM »
I watched Moneyball. It was alright up until he brought in his ugly kid with the guitar. Holy fuck the cringe factor went through the roof when she started singing. Also they really wanted to make it seem like he was some kind of hero for not taking the Red Sox deal. I thought he was a fuckin idiot. He lost the season and turned down 12 million. What a knob.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #38526 on: February 14, 2021, 09:03:55 PM »
it's a weird thing to be mad about. fact is dude was already fairly rich, got a decent deal acquiring a small amount of the A's and had a solid career on contract 'til fairly recently. there are so many reasons he might've avoided the sox contract, he didn't feel the system would work there, too much uncertainty, if things didn't work out it could tank his long term career etc etc.

the film also massively overplays the underdog data angle ignoring the solid established core players in the starting rotation at the A's. 
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #38527 on: February 14, 2021, 09:42:51 PM »
http://www.shadowgalaxy.net/Vendetta/Henkin.html

What might have been...

The headquarters of Norsefire's government are in the shape of their namesakes: The Nose's building is a huge nose, The Ear's building is indeed an ear, etc. Bishop Lilliman presides over an surreal religion that is literally one part Catholicism and one part airplane safety-demonstration. And, in the most striking visual, Norsfire's Fingermen are genetically engineered half-man/half-goat creatures.

...At the end of the script, V is revealed to indeed be Evey's father, giving a true face behind his mask.

:anhuld :crazy :donot

https://researchworks.oclc.org/archivegrid/collection/data/828560605

Apparently the University of Michigan has a copy? And it seems like checking it out in person is the only way to read it? :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #38528 on: February 15, 2021, 12:20:02 AM »
Turned on V just for a scene or two and ended up watching the full thing. :lol It's two hours but the pacing is just absolutely phenomenal. I think there's like, one or two scenes that are a bit perfunctory, but they're both less than 3 mins each.

Also forgot they straight up kill a kid on camera. :crazy

Some interesting directing choices. The CG rain falling on Eevee felt a little out of place for instance.

I hope that the world turns and that things get better.

But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you.

With all my heart, I love you.
Valerie.

Bebpo

« Reply #38529 on: February 15, 2021, 01:07:26 AM »
Judas and the Black Messiah was good. Sad, but good. Daniel Kaluuya was really good and way better than the other stuff I've seen him in.
The movie is a bit too traditional by the books safe informant movie, which maybe holds it back a little in terms of style and originality. But the impact of the history of the events along with the acting are what elevate it.

Bebpo

« Reply #38530 on: February 15, 2021, 01:22:58 AM »
Also I really want to like Lakieth Stanfield, but something about his acting in a lot of stuff just feels like he's not pulling the quality of acting he should be. I've liked him since Sorry to Bother You and then his version of L in Death Note was the best part of that, and his small role in Knives Out was great but way too small, but like his role in this movie is super dramatic but he seems like he's just kinda coasting and doesn't bring the level of emotional performance you'd expect. Especially compared to Kaluuya whose acting completely overshadows him. He's good but he's an actor that seems like he should be a great A-lister, not a B-lister.

Tasty

« Reply #38531 on: February 15, 2021, 01:27:25 AM »
his version of L in Death Note was the best part of that

In a sea of dogshit, he may have been the least smelly turd, but I alternate annoyed and bemused at his awful performance as the worst rendition of L there will ever be.

He also acts like a fucking moron half the time and spends the other half chasing Light like some kind of action star?

Did the producers even watch the show??

Bebpo

« Reply #38532 on: February 15, 2021, 01:29:39 AM »
I think the Death Note manga/anime are pretty dumb and I liked his L /shrug

Tasty

« Reply #38533 on: February 15, 2021, 01:30:00 AM »
The movie wasn't even really about Light vs. L either, it was Light vs. Mia. :dead

Tasty

« Reply #38534 on: February 15, 2021, 01:33:59 AM »
I think the Death Note manga/anime are pretty dumb and I liked his L /shrug

Then we have completely contrary opinions and I cannot even begin to imagine where you're coming from.

You're basically telling me you prefer Evolution to Z.

I'm glad you will always have the 2017 movie, and I'm just as glad that film franchise is apparently stillborn and-

https://cbr.com/netflix-death-note-2-alive-in-good-hands

GODDAMNIT

Bebpo

« Reply #38535 on: February 15, 2021, 02:04:10 AM »
Hahahaha, I'd watch a sequel.

Though I don't know how they'd do it since the movie has the better than comic/anime ending where

spoiler (click to show/hide)
L wins and kills Light
[close]

Which from what I understand is how the live-action Japanese films ended? I didn't watch those.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38536 on: February 15, 2021, 04:33:03 AM »

Whoah. This guy shot six weeks as V! Not as bad as doing the whole movie then James Earl Jones dubbing you after, but damn. He sounded pretty hyped, and honestly his voice isn't too far off.

I would never, ever replace Weaving, but I hope it was a case of him choosing to leave rather than "Oh shit Hugo's available? See ya Jimmy!"
Did you just "this guy" Mark Antony?  >:(

Purefoy is the goat.
You can see his peener in Rome S1.  ;)
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38537 on: February 15, 2021, 05:53:40 AM »
Rome  :aah

Why did it have to die for Game of Thrones to live
long enough to make us hate it
[close]
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #38538 on: February 15, 2021, 08:39:14 AM »
Hahahaha, I'd watch a sequel.

Though I don't know how they'd do it since the movie has the better than comic/anime ending where

L wins and kills Light
[close]

Which from what I understand is how the live-action Japanese films ended? I didn't watch those.

In the Japanese movies,

L writes his own name in the Death Note in order to prove Light is Kira (through various plot shenanigans, of course.) L gives himself like three months to live or something, which is the bases for the third movie (which does not have Kira at all) L: Change the WorLd. (Never watched that one but IIRC it was about his quest to find Near.)
[close]

In the manga/anime,

Light kills L by guilting his girlfriend's Shinigami into doing it, eliminating both of his main obstacles in one stroke. (Shinigami automatically die if they explicitly interfere in human affairs for an emotional reason, and Misa's Shinigami truly loved her.)

(Man, already that description is WAY better than anything in the movie. Light is a twerp who flat out admits he's Kira in his first confrontation with L, and Mia is some bitch out of the movie Nerve or something.)

Light is then eventually taken down by L's two proteges in an arc not as well received by the fans, but I still enjoyed it to the end. I also like the dynamics in the second half too -- Light accepted and in charge basically, and has to resort to what are basically proxy battles with Near and Mello.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #38539 on: February 15, 2021, 08:40:02 AM »

Did you just "this guy" Mark Antony?  >:(

Purefoy is the goat.
You can see his peener in Rome S1.  ;)
[close]

Never saw it, is it as good as Spartacus? Only way you'll get me to watch historical fiction. :P

Good to know about his peener. He starred in Altered Carbon s1 and I assume you see it there, too.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38540 on: February 15, 2021, 08:49:35 AM »
Never watched Spartacus, but Rome is a must watch, esp. Season 1.
No better buddy couple than Pullo & Voreno on tv.  :respect

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38541 on: February 15, 2021, 08:53:00 AM »
:sistine
Spud

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #38542 on: February 15, 2021, 09:57:18 AM »
V for Vendetta is one of my absolute favorite movies/books and I hate that the Fawkes mask got co-opted by some real shitbirds. In any case the movie is so great. Just enough action to give it some flash and just enough story that has been distilled to keep the spirit of the book. Stephen Fry is forgotten in this movie but he represents the "degeneracy" of everyone in the society and is just... whisked away like trash.

Evey's transformation scene nearly brings me to tears and it is nearly perfect to the spirit and tone of the comic.

How's the comic? Never bothered with it.

I read it once a year, I'm a Moore stan. There are a few strings left out of the movie and some plots and characters are combined, simplified, or removed, but there spirit is till there. Worth reading.

It is closer in spirit to Moore original work than Watchmen, and hell I love Watchmen.
rub

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38543 on: February 15, 2021, 10:34:45 AM »
:sistine
Also one of my favorite lines on TV from Cato:
"So in fact, this is not a humiliating defeat at all?
But a rare species of victory?
"
 :lol
The delivery just kills me

Tasty

« Reply #38544 on: February 15, 2021, 01:39:20 PM »
Never seen Spartacus? Jesus Christo fix that shit ASAP.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38545 on: February 15, 2021, 07:55:34 PM »
Spartacus wasn't the same after Andy Whitfield died tho. :(
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #38546 on: February 15, 2021, 08:23:53 PM »
Spartacus wasn't the same after Andy Whitfield died tho. :(

Yup, that first season is still the best. I kinda wrote the show off after that, and took a bit to get to the prequel and s2, but they roped me back in hardcore. Andy cannot be replaced, but the writing is what made the show at the end of the day.

Goddamn was Andy perfect in that role though. :(

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38547 on: February 15, 2021, 10:15:33 PM »
I've only seen the episodes where women expose their breasts, and specifically only those parts of those episodes. Great show btw

Tasty

« Reply #38548 on: February 15, 2021, 10:17:34 PM »
They also don't shy from portraying somewhat-period-accurate homo relationships :rejoice

Barca :mynicca

Malcolm from Jessica Jones :uguu

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38549 on: February 15, 2021, 10:31:57 PM »

I like the part where Crassus says he's bisexual (by talking about eating snails and oysters) to let the male slave know that he was bought solely for ass pounding, then Crassus goes on this big monologue about the power of Rome, and then when he turns around the slave has quietly nope'd out of there because he doesn't want his ass pounded.

Bebpo

« Reply #38550 on: February 15, 2021, 10:53:23 PM »
I somehow missed that Trial of the Chicago 7 was a Sorkin film until I was looking up stuff on Fred Hampton after watching Judas and the Black Messiah last night and saw a mention of his involvement in that trial.

Watched Trial of the Chicago 7 tonight and enjoyed it a lot. Always enjoy Sorkin stuff and he's a good director as shown by Molly's Game and this. Good cast too.

Tasty

« Reply #38551 on: February 16, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »

Guess who had the last laugh. :jawalrus

(RIP John Hurt.)

Tasty

« Reply #38552 on: February 16, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
Hurt said of Bong [Joon-ho], "I just fell in love with him. He was wonderful. I hadn't seen anything. I hadn't seen Mother or anything, which I immediately did when I got home. I went, 'Wow, that's the chap I was talking to.' Thank God instinct has left me completely. I adored him then, I adored him ever since."[33][34] as well as previously adding, "He is quite different but technically, he is as clever as Hitchcock. That's saying something. ... He is one of the best directors I've worked with. I absolutely adore working with him."[35]

:)

Bong Joon-ho would go on to direct last year's Academy Awards winner for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best International Feature Film, Parasite.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #38553 on: February 16, 2021, 11:10:57 PM »
I watched Moneyball. It was alright up until he brought in his ugly kid with the guitar. Holy fuck the cringe factor went through the roof when she started singing. Also they really wanted to make it seem like he was some kind of hero for not taking the Red Sox deal. I thought he was a fuckin idiot. He lost the season and turned down 12 million. What a knob.
it's a weird thing to be mad about. fact is dude was already fairly rich, got a decent deal acquiring a small amount of the A's and had a solid career on contract 'til fairly recently. there are so many reasons he might've avoided the sox contract, he didn't feel the system would work there, too much uncertainty, if things didn't work out it could tank his long term career etc etc.

the film also massively overplays the underdog data angle ignoring the solid established core players in the starting rotation at the A's.
I always thought Moneyball was an odd thing to adapt, the book isn't about a season or whatever, it's about a process. There's basically no drama in it and it's more about the A's building their farm system up on the cheap not even having a winning season/streak or whatever the film's dramatic moment was about. :lol

I still thought the film was pretty okay for a sports movie though.

Tasty

« Reply #38554 on: February 16, 2021, 11:19:58 PM »
It was Steven Soderbergh's passion project until Amy Pascal chopped $8 million off the budget at the last minute. And that dude's known for sometimes making weird movies that don't make sense on paper, but do in practice.

« Reply #38555 on: February 17, 2021, 12:01:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1351582090307973120

Why

Haven't you ever wondered where Willy Wonka got the sheet covering the Everlasting Gobstopper machine?

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38556 on: February 17, 2021, 12:16:34 AM »
Moneyball is so smooth. A kind of movie where if I stumble upon it on TV (theoretically since I don't have cable, but remember what it's like) and I'll leave it on.
Just nice little scenes peppered about

edit: Thinking about it. Moneyball reminds me of the Jordan doc. Just instead of being 10 hours long it's just feature length movie long.

Bebpo

« Reply #38557 on: February 17, 2021, 01:54:24 AM »
Moneyball was great, the Sorkin script really made it work imo. He just makes very entertaining dialogue and fun characters.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38558 on: February 17, 2021, 02:07:30 AM »
I liked his biopics Steve Jobs, Moneyball and The Social Network (which he wrote but didn't direct), but his latest two Molly's Game and The Trial of the Chicago 7 (which he wrote and directed) I hated. Maybe he's just losing his touch.

Tasty

« Reply #38559 on: February 17, 2021, 02:17:43 AM »
Molly's Game was a good script based on an uninteresting story not worthy of being a movie IMO.

Amy Pascal lobbied hard for Sorkin on Moneyball after Soderbergh left (see earlier post), and hey, sometimes fat stacks of cash do the trick.

Steve Jobs was absolutely fantastic and it's one of the few movies I rewatch continually, especially certain scenes. I don't see Fass as Jobs at all, but the writing (again) is what makes it all work.

The Social Network (not Sorkin directed as mentioned) is in my personal Top 10 Films Ever, I think.

Haven't seen Trial yet.

Tasty

« Reply #38560 on: February 17, 2021, 02:19:01 AM »
One of these days I'll watch an episode of West Wing. Some day.

Bebpo

« Reply #38561 on: February 17, 2021, 04:22:59 AM »
I liked his biopics Steve Jobs, Moneyball and The Social Network (which he wrote but didn't direct), but his latest two Molly's Game and The Trial of the Chicago 7 (which he wrote and directed) I hated. Maybe he's just losing his touch.

I guess maybe you just don't like him as a director since the last two were the only ones he directed himself.

I thought Molly's Game was great, same with Trail of Chicago 7. I never seen a bad Sorkin script movie tbh. I know people hate Newsroom but I never saw that one.

One of these days I'll watch an episode of West Wing. Some day.

Yeah I've never watched West Wing either.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #38562 on: February 17, 2021, 05:09:14 AM »
West Wing is complete garbage. Not even the absurd John Goodman plot saves it.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38563 on: February 17, 2021, 05:24:19 AM »
West Wing kind of seems redundant now, just like any show centred on US presidential politics. Nothing they do can ever be as absurd as the shitshow that was Trump.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38564 on: February 17, 2021, 07:04:37 AM »
I've enjoyed all of Sorkins TV stuff and most of his movies, even though all his TV stuff inevitably has hilarious :usacry moments.

West Wing is super weird from a non-US perspective as the endlessly bible quoting war hawk is a democrat?  ???

Although its a pretty good meta-TV thing to bounce out of West Wing after Martin Sheen wins his second term and then watch Dead Zone, about a bible thumping Martin Sheen president who has to be assassinated by Christopher Walken before he nukes the planet

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38565 on: February 17, 2021, 08:05:51 AM »
So did Sorkin have a stroke when writing The newsroom or is he just inconsistent?
I think i only watched Steve Jobs and Social Network of his.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38566 on: February 17, 2021, 08:22:03 AM »
I mean... I generally like his stuff, it just seems like he wants to keep going back to a big shouty melodrama well as an emotional payoff, and while a "I want THE TRUTH!", "You can't HANDLE THE TRUTH!" is an amazing payoff in a courtroom drama about the wrongful killing of a young marine, it's veering into lolworthy when its the newsroom blogger shouting at the other bloggers about how they're ONLINE JOURNALISTS because he's butthurt about click bait articles

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38567 on: February 17, 2021, 09:25:14 AM »
West Wing was golden-age tv before golden-age tv.  The episode where he gets angry at God cause God killed an old women and then decides it's Ok that he lied to the American people about his MS is amazing. Fight me. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38568 on: February 17, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »
So in the live action Cruella movie, the puppies not wanting to be skinned alive, are actually the bad guys?  :doge

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38569 on: February 17, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
Justice for Horace and Jaspar baby!!!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38570 on: February 17, 2021, 12:11:30 PM »
So in the live action Cruella movie, the puppies not wanting to be skinned alive, are actually the bad guys?  :doge

Disney's already done that for Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, so why not?
dog

« Reply #38571 on: February 17, 2021, 12:27:12 PM »
Are people clamoring for Cruella de Ville's origin story?

Are these the same people who desperately wanted to know how the rebels stole some blueprints?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38572 on: February 17, 2021, 12:38:18 PM »
Rogue One made a billy, and the two Maleficent movies made a billy point two, so I'd say there's definitely a market for that sort of thing.
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38573 on: February 17, 2021, 12:46:14 PM »

Disney's already done that for Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, so why not?
The subversion is cute once, this really feels like a cheap gimmick.
People calling it a CollegeHumor skit in the RE thread, were spot on imo.

Bebpo

« Reply #38574 on: February 17, 2021, 01:45:42 PM »
So I'm gonna guess the Cruella movie...she doesn't want to kill & skin dogs.

Because basically people like dogs a lot and that is a deal breaker for everyone from reactions I'm seeing to the film. Like Joker murdering hundreds of people because SOCIETY...sure, people can feel he's a sympathetic character. But murder a bunch of dogs? Nah, fuck that. No sympathy ever.

So pretty sure they're gonna change it to like she's trying to ban dogs or lock up dogs or something and not outright kill & skin dogs. Idk, maybe dogs won't even factor into the movie.

If the reviews are alright I'd probably watch it because 1) Free and 2) Emma Stone is hot.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38575 on: February 17, 2021, 02:07:26 PM »
In this one, the dogs have rabies.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38576 on: February 17, 2021, 02:10:57 PM »
This is just Disney's Harley Quinn movie.
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38577 on: February 17, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »
Apparently they're
German shepards who worked in concentration camps, disguised as dalmatians to avoid trial.
Nobody will believe Cruella, and the mob will try to hang her in the city square, but it'll start to rain, and the spots will wash off at the last moment.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38578 on: February 17, 2021, 09:23:32 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38579 on: February 17, 2021, 10:15:00 PM »
Doubt it'll be as good as the 90s movies.
dog