Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140601 times)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #40620 on: June 17, 2022, 02:13:12 AM »
rewatching juno

no wonder cera hasn't done anything for a minute

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40621 on: June 17, 2022, 06:12:57 AM »
Watching contact, and it's amazing the amount of chemistry these two gay actors have on screen.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #40622 on: June 17, 2022, 10:56:30 AM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40623 on: June 17, 2022, 12:34:52 PM »
Now that’s an actor.  Even when his anger takes control he’s still got masterful control of voice.

Tom and Rita both handled that pretty well overall, I know most people wouldn’t be as patient.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40624 on: June 17, 2022, 12:36:08 PM »
RITA!

that's her name.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #40625 on: June 18, 2022, 06:47:01 PM »
I watched The Adam Project, it was pretty fun, and even somewhat tugged on my heartstrings  :cry

I also watched Red Notice, another flick with that Deadpool dude. He really kinda plays the same character in every movie but I still find him enjoyable to watch
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40626 on: June 18, 2022, 07:49:24 PM »
Ya Adam Project was better than I expected it to be.  Red Notice was exactly what I expected it to be and I liked it. 

Tasty

« Reply #40627 on: June 18, 2022, 09:16:14 PM »
https://deadline.com/2022/06/ezra-miller-the-flash-fate-warner-bros-discovery-david-zaslav-1235048001/

During the first incident, the Hawaii Police Department Hilo Patrol reported that Miller became “agitated” when patrons began singing “Shallow” from A Star Is Born.

Okay yeah, throw Miller in the trash where he belongs. :trash

Polident Hive

« Reply #40628 on: June 18, 2022, 11:05:09 PM »
Independent of whatever the hell is going on with Ezra, the trajectory of The Flash movie as a growing headache for WB is funny.

Anyway, I enjoyed Everything Everywhere All at Once. Can’t elaborate but it felt very 2015 with with touches of 2004. I’d say it dragged moments past the impact. The jokes, the messages, the homages. Like it wanted to make sure you got it. It’s a me thing that I’d rather be a little confused than have it blunt. I mean, I really enjoyed The Fountain.

Read the daughter was originally gonna be played by aquafina. Whatever caused that scheduling conflict, thank you.

Bebpo

« Reply #40629 on: June 18, 2022, 11:57:55 PM »
I would be so down to watch the Flash movie where they badly CGI some other actor's face over Ezra's for the entire film and have another actor dub all their lines over.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40630 on: June 19, 2022, 12:58:33 AM »
Peanut Butter Falcon was a really uplifting and heartwarming film.

Great performances all round.
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #40631 on: June 19, 2022, 01:28:47 AM »
I would be so down to watch the Flash movie where they badly CGI some other actor's face over Ezra's for the entire film and have another actor dub all their lines over.

Just completely paint over their Flash with the Flash from the Justice League cartoon. Make it a Roger Rabbit type movie in post.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40632 on: June 19, 2022, 04:18:16 AM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40633 on: June 19, 2022, 06:01:37 AM »
WB should release The Flash movie as it is (no visual replacement) once the planned visual effects and post-production are finished, but make it a limited special release event where the stream it for free on several services as well as their own HBO Max, but also do a large theatrical release where the gross profits are donated to various charities that probably have some things to say about Ezra Miller's actions (maybe this way they're able to make it not a total-loss and even build goodwill and support going forward).  Make it a big talking point in their advertising, lean extra extra hard into it with their publicity. Blast out something like, "We're disappointed by the problematic behaviors of our lead, and do not support them whatsoever in their continued avoidance of cooperation with the appropriate authorities regarding their personal matters.  That said, they are just one person amongst the many hundreds who also have put effort, time, and passion into this project, and we feel it would be unjust to those creators, as well as the many long-waiting fans, if we were to keep this from them due to the unfortunate and irresponsible actions of one person."

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40634 on: June 19, 2022, 08:47:37 AM »
You know how modern corpo ball washing works right?
First they ignore the elephant in the room, when that doesn't work they pretend they/them is the victim of a hateful gamergate mob and deserves our symphaty and support.

It'll end up with a low audience score and a high critics rating and in the end people that didn't go see it are transphobes.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40635 on: June 19, 2022, 02:46:07 PM »
Pixar finally gets to release one of their movies in theaters again and then it does less than half of the previous toy story movies

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/19/lightyear-box-office-pixar-film-nabs-51-million-in-domestic-opening.html
Expectations were high because the last two films in the Toy Story franchise both opened to more than $100 million in ticket sales, according to data from Comscore. “Toy Story 4” in 2019 topped $120 million in its domestic debut and “Toy Story 3″ generated more than $110 million during its opening 2010.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40636 on: June 19, 2022, 03:14:02 PM »

🤴

Tasty

« Reply #40637 on: June 19, 2022, 03:19:50 PM »
Pixar finally gets to release one of their movies in theaters again and then it does less than half of the previous toy story movies

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/19/lightyear-box-office-pixar-film-nabs-51-million-in-domestic-opening.html
Expectations were high because the last two films in the Toy Story franchise both opened to more than $100 million in ticket sales, according to data from Comscore. “Toy Story 4” in 2019 topped $120 million in its domestic debut and “Toy Story 3″ generated more than $110 million during its opening 2010.

Some trades/newsletters I sub to were thinking Disney was underestimating at $70 mil. :lol

Can't wait to read their pearl clutching followups.

Tasty

« Reply #40638 on: June 19, 2022, 03:23:28 PM »
LMAO the spin on that story's lede. :lol

Disney's Pixar's LIGHTYEAR: A Toy Story ROCKETS past $51 million and SHATTERS pandemic records!!!!

Some smelly """analysts""" predicted between $70 and 80 million, but whatever...

CNBC isn't owned by Disney too is it? :thinking

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40639 on: June 19, 2022, 03:24:55 PM »
Pandemic records, when movie theatres were literally closed. lmao
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #40640 on: June 19, 2022, 05:06:36 PM »
Lol I actually paid to sub to this one...

Quote from: Matthew Belloni via PUCK.news
Box office over-under: The tracking for Pixar’s Lightyear is about $75 million domestic (Disney is lowballing at $70 million), so I’m gonna take the over. It won’t get anywhere near the $120 million debut for Toy Story 4 in 2019, of course, but a spinoff of Pixar’s biggest franchise has got to play broader than one of its originals, right? [Emphasis not added.]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 05:10:58 PM by Tasty »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40641 on: June 21, 2022, 08:15:15 AM »
Sometimes I get the impression that these paid experts also don't have much more of a clue than any random person on the internet

Tuckers Law

« Reply #40642 on: June 21, 2022, 08:30:45 AM »
You know how modern corpo ball washing works right?
First they ignore the elephant in the room, when that doesn't work they pretend they/them is the victim of a hateful gamergate mob and deserves our symphaty and support.

It'll end up with a low audience score and a high critics rating and in the end people that didn't go see it are transphobes.

Maybe so, but I’d still like to see at least one of the big studios stand up against this insistence of late that all aspects of the current political landscape and discourse should be completely intertwined with creative output in the arts.  Maybe I’m being naive, but it seems like that would be a nice and public “Fuck you” from WB to Disney.

Regardless, it’s not happening.  They’ll probably just sit on it until things die down with Ezra and then release it to die in January or February.

Tasty

« Reply #40643 on: June 21, 2022, 05:43:57 PM »
Sometimes I get the impression that these paid experts also don't have much more of a clue than any random person on the internet

Pretty much yeah, they've just been "in"/following the industry a bit longer than most. Also, the follow-up:

What happened with Lightyear? I took the over on the $75 million tracking, and it came in at just $51 million, more in line with lesser Pixar originals and not a Toy Story spinoff. Yikes. I polled a few distribution experts, and nobody thinks the same-sex kiss was a meaningful deterrent (sorry, Ted), but it certainly didn’t help. The bigger problems were a) The movie isn’t thematically connected to Toy Story; b) marketing didn’t properly explain the tricky conceit; and c) Disney’s streaming strategy has devalued Pixar by dumping its past three movies on Disney+. The Quorum’s David Herrin, who does the WIH movie polling chart, has a couple other explanations:

1. We don’t fully understand the post-pandemic box office: We have a pretty good read on superhero and tentpole movies in this era, but it doesn't mean the same will be true for family films. It could be that at this moment there is a $70 million ceiling (like Sonic 2). Three animated films are opening in July. If Minions—likely the strongest of the three—performs in line with Lightyear, then we'll know that the family audience hasn't fully returned to theaters.

2. The reviews weren’t there: Lightyear ranks No. 21 among Pixar films. Those at the bottom of this list are among Pixar's softest performers.

3. The market is becoming more saturated: As I wrote a few weeks ago, big films haven't had much competition. Now they do. Perhaps we need to revise our assumptions.

Tasty

« Reply #40644 on: June 21, 2022, 05:46:03 PM »
Reviews and word-of-mouth effect a film's financial performance, I am very smart :derp

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40645 on: June 21, 2022, 05:53:45 PM »
a) The movie isn’t thematically connected to Toy Story; b) marketing didn’t properly explain the tricky conceit;

The way Disney tried to explain how the movie ties into Toy story was pretty hilarious

https://twitter.com/thebigstevesy/status/1537839392630480899

Polident Hive

« Reply #40646 on: June 21, 2022, 06:01:26 PM »
Lots of the marketing seemed built around the captain America guy voicing buzz. Hollywood stars as a concept are hanging on by a thread. It’s Tom cruise keeping it alive.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40648 on: June 21, 2022, 06:10:35 PM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cineplex-fee-1.6496117

Ya fuck this
Fuckers have been doing that here since they started online bookings.

Offensive bullshit if you ask me.
Spud

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40649 on: June 22, 2022, 01:06:19 PM »
The ol' "convenience fee" scam works again!
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40650 on: June 22, 2022, 02:04:27 PM »

The Black Phone has been reviewing pretty well, mostly based on the strength of the source material and Ethan Hawke's performance (and decent child actors). I might have to check it out this weekend.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #40651 on: June 22, 2022, 02:20:57 PM »
Scott Derrickson knows horror. I'm a fan of his. Excited for his movie and excited for a mid-budget non-franchise movie widely hitting theaters. We probably won't get much more of those outside October going forward.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40652 on: June 22, 2022, 04:13:45 PM »
While this doesn't appear to have any relation to the amazing 2010 flick Troll Hunter, any film about giant trolls in the Norwegian wilderness is going to catch my attention.

Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #40653 on: June 23, 2022, 02:55:25 AM »
Dr. Strange 2

Can Sam Raimi just direct every MCU movie until he retires?

Not the best MCU film but I'd argue it was the best directed MCU film. A lot of fun, crazy fast paced with very little exposition and while the writing has issues I guess it's still less lolz than NO MORE MUTANTS.

Also coming from Marvel TV, the difference in budget with their films is GIGANTIC. Really makes the budget of the TV shows feel shitty. Movie looked amazing.

Oh and I appreciated all the callbacks to Evil Dead. So many!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 03:03:41 AM by Bebpo »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40654 on: June 23, 2022, 06:45:01 AM »
I just watched it too. Thought it was just another shitty cape movie where almost all of the conflict is resolved by superpowered beings throwing orange and blue light at each other.

All the cameos and Easter eggs in the world couldn't save it from being a bore fest.
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40655 on: June 23, 2022, 10:23:10 AM »
I rewatched strange 2.

The CG is worse at home.  wanda's performance is trope tier.  "MY BOYS!" lol

I didn't understand what people meant by being able to detect "raimi" until I realized how much WALKING everyone does and eating and sipping on drinks.

Dr. Strange was wronged.  Gotta watch Blackphone now.   Now wonder the people from DrS1 bounced on disney's multiverse.

Bebpo

« Reply #40656 on: June 23, 2022, 01:19:53 PM »
I rewatched strange 2.

The CG is worse at home.  wanda's performance is trope tier.  "MY BOYS!" lol

I didn't understand what people meant by being able to detect "raimi" until I realized how much WALKING everyone does and eating and sipping on drinks.

Dr. Strange was wronged.  Gotta watch Blackphone now.   Now wonder the people from DrS1 bounced on disney's multiverse.

I just watched it too. Thought it was just another shitty cape movie where almost all of the conflict is resolved by superpowered beings throwing orange and blue light at each other.

All the cameos and Easter eggs in the world couldn't save it from being a bore fest.

:(

The story was very popcorn comic-book. Like reading a Mark Miller run. Still, at least it felt like a weird Dr. Strange run. The first film was too plain for Dr. Strange.

But man it was so stylishly directed. Sucks y'all didn't enjoy it. To me it felt like it had the biggest director imprint on an MCU film that I can remember and not just a conveyor belt designed by committee Feige feel. I liked Sinister and Dr. Strange 1 direction was okayish, but losing Derrickson and going to Raimi was a huge step up. I can't imagine this script with Derrickson directing working at all.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40657 on: June 23, 2022, 01:32:08 PM »
I can't imagine this script with Derrickson directing working at all.

Neither could disney or derrickson apparently.

:awesome

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #40658 on: June 24, 2022, 06:33:42 AM »

watch this fartknockers
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 03:52:47 AM by MMaRsu »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #40659 on: June 25, 2022, 10:18:41 PM »
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was ehhh, wish it was a better B-movie. The dialogue kinda sucks and script is pretty weak. More like a boring C film but Cage and Pascal make it worth watching maybe on a free streaming service.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40660 on: June 25, 2022, 11:24:23 PM »
Dr Strange 2 was entertaining. The multiverse hook was empty. Like they decided it’s gotta involve the multiverse before a story or script. It’s no The One.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Was ??? when it ended on Strange walking outside, getting the third eye from reading the evil bad book, and yelling in pain. Minute later there’s another scene of Strange walking outside, this lady shows up, and he casually summons the third eye. Second one felt like some second unit guy filmed it against a green screen.

If the illuminati people aren’t one offs, somehow Black Bolt of all characters has the most true to comic suit. But Xavier looking too short for his plastic power wheels hover chair. Sometimes things don’t work.
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40661 on: June 26, 2022, 08:20:57 AM »
Next goal wins was a great little sports documentary. I really like underdog stories, so this was right up my alley.
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40662 on: June 26, 2022, 08:28:17 AM »
Dr Strange 2 was entertaining. The multiverse hook was empty. Like they decided it’s gotta involve the multiverse before a story or script. It’s no The One.

Was ??? when it ended on Strange walking outside, getting the third eye from reading the evil bad book, and yelling in pain. Minute later there’s another scene of Strange walking outside, this lady shows up, and he casually summons the third eye. Second one felt like some second unit guy filmed it against a green screen.
[close]

That part was pretty strange to me as well. They gave it a sequel hook, then undid that sequel hook instantly and then gave it another sequel hook. I imagine it had to be some studio meddling

Sman

« Reply #40663 on: June 26, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »

If the illuminati people aren’t one offs, somehow Black Bolt of all characters has the most true to comic suit. But Xavier looking too short for his plastic power wheels hover chair. Sometimes things don’t work.
[close]

Got bored after 30 minutes. Debating if I'll ever watch the rest.

Same problem with The Batman. An hour in, over 2 hours left.  :-\

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40664 on: June 26, 2022, 09:55:31 AM »
The Batman is pretty awesome, not as good as Top Gun but still great stuff. Looking forward to receiving the Blu Ray.

Yesterday I watched Spider-Man Homecoming. I forgot how good Michael Keaton was as the Vulture.
In general I enjoy these super hero movies more when the enemies don't have 1000's of nameless CG soldiers.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #40665 on: June 26, 2022, 10:43:55 PM »
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was pretty fun.  Cage and Pedro were a great pair.
It's more of a traditional buddy comedy action movie than I expected it to be, which I think would have been boring had they not had the meta jokes telling the audience exactly how the final act is going play out.
[close]

I'd honestly watch a sequel if they could up the weirdness. 

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40666 on: June 27, 2022, 07:20:59 AM »
Titane

Was promised a fucked up movie and got a fucked up movie. Memorable with some great performances

Bebpo

« Reply #40667 on: June 28, 2022, 03:30:24 PM »
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was pretty fun.  Cage and Pedro were a great pair.
It's more of a traditional buddy comedy action movie than I expected it to be, which I think would have been boring had they not had the meta jokes telling the audience exactly how the final act is going play out.
[close]

I'd honestly watch a sequel if they could up the weirdness.

Yeah, I think it just needed to be more funny aka better script/writer.

This is a movie that should have been written & directed by Spike Jonze.

Polident Hive

« Reply #40669 on: June 29, 2022, 07:35:29 PM »
As far as time-bendy, mindfuck sci-fi comedies go I liked Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes way better but that one doesn't aspire to teach any big lessons. It's on Amazon Prime now and it's only like 70 minutes long so hopefully people will get to see it.

Added this to my list back then and watched it last night. It was awesome. Glad I knew little about it going in.

It’s on Tubi, too.

https://tubitv.com/movies/671945/beyond-the-infinite-two-minutes

Bebpo

« Reply #40670 on: July 01, 2022, 12:44:11 AM »
So I re-watched True Romance for the first time in like 20 years. In the 90s as teen it was a cool stylish cult film.

Watching it now, it's a mixed bag. A lot of it doesn't hold up...great today. Tarantino's script throws around a looooot of homophobic and racist bits. Dennis Hopper & Christopher Walken's entire scene being two white guys throwing around the N* word and talking down on black people in...1993...is pretty bad.

Plot is really short, characters show up and vanish never to be seen again and not a lot of depth. Feels like it comes from an era of every other film being a bunch of drug kingpin standoffs.

But, then some scenes are great with really enjoyable Tarantino dialogues, the Hans Zimmer score and main theme along with the art direction with the California Dream look gives it a unique feel. Cast, especially today, is insanely stacked. Directing by Tony Scott is solid. Christian Slater was such a fun actor. Rappaport is hilarious.

Overall was still enjoyable, but today doesn't really feel like a classic/cult classic. I think other movies since have done the concept better. End of the Fucking World S1, which referenced and pulled from this heavily, for one. But what a great theme though.

Oh and the opening at the movie theater to Sonny Chiba films is still great.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 12:54:53 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #40671 on: July 01, 2022, 01:20:37 AM »
Hmmmmm, reading some of the essays on True Romance I never knew the theme song was an homage to Terrence Malick's first film Badlands...which I've never seen.

Time to check that out!

Bebpo

« Reply #40672 on: July 01, 2022, 01:25:24 PM »
After going through some of the essays/extras on True Romance, I kinda take back some of that. I'd say less the movie doesn't hold as much, as that it's more than a bit problematic in parts and generally kind of 90s dated. Also the behind the scenes stuff makes me appreciate Patricia Arquette's performance a lot more. Her scene on the billboard in the opening is really good.

One thing that seems really dated/weird to me is reading all this stuff about how shocking the violence in the film was in 1993. How it had an X-rating and needed 43 cut submissions to the MPAA to get an R-rating. How 2/3rds of the audience walked out after the first gun fight.

This is so weird these days when watching it now the violence is like ...TV level. A few people get shot with some bullet stains on their clothes. Big whoop. Even compared to horror movies at the time it seems tame. But back in the early 90s there was such a fuss about VIOLENCE in MOVIES (and videogames later on). It just seems so ridiculous these days. But maybe that just shows how desensitized to violence we've all become in the post-internet-era.

Also some of these essays, including Edgar Wright's, make me want to watch the 18% RT Tony Scott film Domino...

Bebpo

« Reply #40673 on: July 01, 2022, 02:10:04 PM »
As a 13 year old kid, these movies where people get married after a one night stand were peak romantic,

As a 40 year old, it turns them all into horror films.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40674 on: July 02, 2022, 01:34:48 PM »
Hmmmmm, reading some of the essays on True Romance I never knew the theme song was an homage to Terrence Malick's first film Badlands...which I've never seen.

Time to check that out!

Badlands is great, out of the few Malicks I saw it's definitely the best.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #40675 on: July 03, 2022, 03:45:32 AM »
Yeah, Badlands was good. Feels like the pre-cursor to Natural Born Killers with a bit more quirky. At first seemed kind of too normal for the later career Malick stuff that I'm familiar with, but by the second act when they're living out in the forest it definitely has its oddness. Some really nice cinematography with great landscape shots on the plains and some cool low angle stuff. Feels like the car chases must've been impressive for their time too.

Martin Sheen & Sissy Spacek are great. Music was great. Well directed.

When I saw afterwards that it was more or less based on a true story of Charles Starkweather, I think it makes the screenplay a bit less impressive. Like without knowing that, the story seems original for its time and a trend-setter, but less so if it's an actual series of events that actually happened.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40676 on: July 03, 2022, 11:16:26 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #40677 on: July 03, 2022, 02:00:06 PM »
And yeah, cinematography in Badlands was gorgeous. Couldn't even find screenshots of some of my favorite shots in the film.

Also Sissy Spacek in this movie is hngggg

Bebpo

« Reply #40678 on: July 05, 2022, 02:42:46 PM »
Thor reviews really ain't so hot.

Sounds like trying to do the same thing as last time with two separate serious & dark comic storylines handled with a jokey farcical tone doesn't work this time around. I really liked Ragnorak because it was lolz, but even critics that liked Ragnorak a lot seem down on this one as it sounds like the tonal whiplash is way worse.

Oh well, will watch on D+ and laugh at some jokes and move on. Marvel movies/TV definitely got some quality control issues post-endgame. Shang-Chi (at least the first 2/3rds of it) still the main bright spot of this phase.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #40679 on: July 05, 2022, 02:51:23 PM »
I bet they're trying to "build out" ragnarok universe and just fucking it up like everything else marvel.