Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018445 times)

Tasty

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #31260 on: September 25, 2022, 01:05:03 PM »

:hesright

Sakurai must have said something to Aonuma between TP/SS and BotW, lol.

Bebpo

« Reply #31261 on: September 25, 2022, 01:09:34 PM »
Yeaaaah, Skyward Sword was easily one of the worst offenders of that.

Polident Hive

« Reply #31262 on: September 25, 2022, 01:21:13 PM »
Have had moments where I’m fed up with long intros I retreat to arcade and older games. Some games I know I’ll enjoy, I need to save for when I have an hour or two of uninterrupted time to play.

Something I appreciate about the whole rogue like genre is how immediate it is. You’re expected to be confused. You’re expected to lose. There’s no faffing about. Just tossed into the deep end.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31263 on: September 25, 2022, 01:21:32 PM »

No he's not.

Like Im sorry, I know Sakurai is Nintendo fanboy jesus and Nintendo fans are usually pretty narrow-minded on what a game should be, but games are more than interactive toys at this point. There are plenty of games that take their time to open up and are better off for it.

Tasty

« Reply #31264 on: September 25, 2022, 03:21:42 PM »
Yeaaaah, Skyward Sword was easily one of the worst offenders of that.

Even though I think it's the far better game, if you play them both back-to-back you'll see Twilight Princess's intro is actually worse.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31265 on: September 25, 2022, 03:23:04 PM »
There is no game in existence that's better for me having to sit through 10 minutes of poorly written and directed cutscenes before I even get to do anything.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #31266 on: September 25, 2022, 06:02:12 PM »

I love how he mentioned game trailers taking too long to show gameplay when I made that note just few posts before on the last page :lol
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #31267 on: September 26, 2022, 02:50:23 PM »

No he's not.

Like Im sorry, I know Sakurai is Nintendo fanboy jesus and Nintendo fans are usually pretty narrow-minded on what a game should be, but games are more than interactive toys at this point. There are plenty of games that take their time to open up and are better off for it.

I’d say there’s probably ten-fold more games that would have greatly benefited from the developers not being so precious with their expository intros and instead opened up immediately with at least something interactive.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31268 on: September 27, 2022, 02:47:08 PM »
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31269 on: September 27, 2022, 06:22:40 PM »
That's from Patrick Soderlund former CEO of DICE's studio. Embark has a whole bunch of Battlefield people at it.

Can sign up for the playtest on the Steam game page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2073850/THE_FINALS/

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31270 on: September 27, 2022, 10:51:45 PM »
Looks crazy and annoying.

I just want a good Battlefield game.

Bebpo

« Reply #31271 on: September 28, 2022, 04:25:54 PM »
So Trails in the Black II came out this morning and sometimes watching Japan devs struggle with graphics in the post-PS2 world is kind of  :duh
I really wonder if Japanese gamers just can't notice framerate and tech stuff in games?

Like the last games on this engine by Falcom:

Trails in the Reverie - PS4 game that runs locked 60fps on PS5, looks clean IQ and damn nice (they had it perfect here)
Trails in the Black I - PS4 game that on launch was locked to 30fps on PS5, eventually unlocked and was perfect locked 60fps. Like the game instantly runs 60fps locked and the last game was 60fps, why wouldn't they have thought to unlock it from the start? Do they not own any PS5s at Falcom? (jokingly I think this was possible)
Trails in the Black II - PS5 version on launch, same graphics as the last game, runs like 55-60fps with heavy dips pretty regularly. Without VRR the game is a juddery mess. With VRR it's generally smooth 60fps feel but has Elden Ring-like dips a lot. Oh and alternatively you can play the PS4 version on PS5 but then they locked the framerate to 30fps in that version and turned off the anti-aliasing.

The only difference I think between Black I and Black II PS5 is they probably increased the native resolution and added AA. But like if they're not hitting 60fps, they could have easily just rendered it a bit lower at 1440p or something (with cell-shaded anime art you can't even tell the difference) and had a locked 60fps. It's just like...they don't care and are fine with juddery mess Elden Ring style games? Very bizarre.

At least when it comes to the US I'm sure it'll have a Steam version which will run on a toaster at locked 60fps or more.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31273 on: September 29, 2022, 03:51:52 AM »
What if it's a black man? They're allowed to use that word.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31274 on: September 29, 2022, 10:46:33 AM »
Maybe he's gay too  :doge
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31275 on: September 29, 2022, 11:59:08 AM »
Man, PC gamers must be ecstatic. That dogshit Sackboy game is coming to pc. :D

Himu

« Reply #31276 on: September 29, 2022, 01:43:18 PM »
What even is the point of having a playstation 5? :lol
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31277 on: September 29, 2022, 02:02:54 PM »
The same point of having a high end PC or Series Xbox. To play current games at the best possible way within your means. With a few Sony exclusives here and there.

If you have either of those other options sure there isn't really any. Unless you don't want to wait for say God or War R.  But if your preference is Playststion and or consoles in general and you want the best version of these games then sure there's a point.

Himu

« Reply #31278 on: September 29, 2022, 02:05:04 PM »
Not every game on Series X comes to PC Gamepass.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31279 on: September 29, 2022, 02:40:17 PM »
Yeah and?

If its not on PC gamepass, I'm sure PC gamers have and are use to buying games through the several storefronts they are ascomtend too.

That's my point. It's really about preference and choice.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 03:13:39 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Tasty

« Reply #31280 on: September 29, 2022, 04:26:32 PM »
What even is the point of having a playstation 5? :lol

:whatsthedeal

Bebpo

« Reply #31281 on: September 29, 2022, 04:52:39 PM »
Not every game on Series X comes to PC Gamepass.

Every exclusive one does.

Svejk

« Reply #31282 on: September 29, 2022, 05:22:13 PM »
I love my PS5.   :rejoice It shits astronomical heights over my PC, Switch and PS4.  All for $400. 
 Whole lotta win for me.  :win Y'all enjoyoselves.

Bebpo

« Reply #31283 on: September 29, 2022, 06:58:29 PM »
I mean...outside XB3 I haven't touched my Switch in like 2 years. Haven't turned on my PS4 in three years. Don't have an Xbox. So pretty much just play PC and PS5 and perfectly happy with that combo. PS5 does me well for console stuff and Sony games. I'm not going to wait 2 years+ for maybe a PC port down the road. At least with MS games it's Day 1 on PC. If MS exclusives were 2-3 years later on PC I might get an Xbox.

My only real complaint about PS5 now that it has VRR and 1440p and folders, is I wish VRR went covered drops to 40fps instead of 48fps and I wish the system had Dolby Vision for 4k BDs instead of HDR10 only (I can't tell the difference but people like DV a little better). Also I wish the disc drive was separate from launch like the new rumors because I'm pretty sure my disc drive is gonna die and fuck me over with my 4k BD collection.

Svejk

« Reply #31284 on: September 29, 2022, 09:15:20 PM »
If my PC had something better than crappy i3 and could play it in my living room, I'd play it A LOT more than I do.  Nothing beats modding.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31285 on: September 29, 2022, 10:48:07 PM »
A few years ago I bought a very up-to-date computer.

I used it to play Dead Space 2 and Quantum Break.

It was nice to play them at higher fidelity than their console versions.

Now I mostly use it to play Final Fantasy XIV at 120FPS.

It's cool, but in the end I like my console and playing on the tv. I like buying my physical discs. That's just the way I like to interact with my video games.

As of right now, PS5 is basically a Super PS4 Pro, and thats fine with me. It's playing PS4, cross-gen, and PS5 exclusives very well. My Switch is great for those exclusives and multi-console jrpgs that seem perfectly fine on it.

I do have a series X for the occasional MS game.

And thats what it really comes down to. Why get any system? Why invest in pc gaming? Because thats how you want to play your games. If you are fine with a PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One still then yeah stay with that. Games are still perfectly fine on the PS4, but I mean I'd rather play Resident Evil 8 on 60fps yknow. Sure the pro can run God of War fine, but the PS5 can run it better. And thats what I want.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31286 on: September 30, 2022, 04:30:37 AM »
Cheaper than a PC. Can be used for at least another 5 years. Likely the last viable platform for offline gaming and physical (though apparently Xbox seems to have done somthing about DRM a few days back?). Ugly, but still not as manchildish as neon glowing graphics cards in your appartment. Replay/keep playing one of the biggest gaming libraries through enhanced backwards compat and without your TV setup turning into a jet engine :idont
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 04:35:36 AM by paprikastaude »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31287 on: September 30, 2022, 05:53:36 AM »
PC is almost there as a console replacement but not yet.

PlayStation is in a weird spot because Sony has given up on Japan in favor of the US and Europe.
This means there aren't as many exclusives as before but the PS4 is still getting a lot of those Japanese releases, sometimes those are VITA upscales/ports.

According to my brother the game industry has 2 big problems right now.
- The new engines (UE5) aren't ready
- There's a lot of artists and developers but not enough good game designers

So he says the remaster/remake/asset flip train will keep rolling for a number of years so developers get familiar with all the new tools and technology.
This gives the game designers some more time for pre-production on their next games.

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31288 on: September 30, 2022, 06:10:22 AM »
Again, I say, this is the most pointless generation of consoles ever.

What is the purpose of these things aside from playing higher definition remakes of games already released or games being released on previous generation consoles?

Nothing this gen needed these consoles in order to be played. It's not even like the experience of a particular game on the current gen is really any better than the previous gen either.
Spud

Svejk

« Reply #31289 on: September 30, 2022, 07:17:51 AM »

What is the purpose of these things aside from playing higher definition remakes of games already released or games being released on previous generation consoles?

Nothing this gen needed these consoles in order to be played. It's not even like the experience of a particular game on the current gen is really any better than the previous gen either.
Load times.  Night and day difference and worth every penny.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31290 on: September 30, 2022, 09:05:26 AM »
You can play on your tv, on a couch, dualshock 4 in hand, cock in your other hand, with gsync full 4k 120hz oled display and never have to worry about a fucking console again
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31291 on: September 30, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »
Seems kind of dumb to say this generation is pointless when it hasn't really kicked in thanks to the thing that pretty much hamstringed the world for three years
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 10:22:35 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31292 on: September 30, 2022, 09:41:17 AM »
You can play on your tv, on a couch, dualshock 4 in hand, cock in your other hand, with gsync full 4k 120hz oled display and never have to worry about a fucking console again
I don't play with my cock in my hand, but if that's your preference than great.

My preference is consoles. I don't know why it's hard for some of you to understand this.  You want a PC? That's great. Plenty of people don't.

Himu

« Reply #31293 on: September 30, 2022, 10:01:00 AM »

I wouldn't say so. A lot of stuff was held back because the consoles had shit hardware even at the time.
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #31294 on: September 30, 2022, 12:40:22 PM »
“Shit hardware”  ::)

Bebpo

« Reply #31295 on: September 30, 2022, 12:42:02 PM »

I mean, a lot of the games I have been playing on my PS5 which are cross-gen
...I wouldn't have wanted to play them on PS4.

Getting 60fps instead of 30fps and some extra anti-alaising, higher resolution, some added effects...is still a pretty good experience. Like Rahx said, PS5 is PS4 Super Pro or something most of the time, but I was fine buying a PS4 Pro for the better versions (like buying a new gpu every 3-4 years) and I'm fine with PS5 doing that as well.

Don't forget these new consoles PS5 and XSX are also 4K BD players. The average price for a decent 4K BD player is like $500-800. If you have a 4K tv and still watch physical media movies, this is a big plus to the systems value-wise.

Plus, non-cross-gen is coming. I'm sorry, but in 5 years we're still not going to be playing cross-gen PS4 games outside rare stuff from Japan. Meanwhile this gen is gonna easily last 8-10 years because of the pandemic delay. Hold your horses, plenty of time.

And games still look good so I'm not gonna complain. I mean Horizon 2, while I don't like the game much, is one of the best looking games on the market and it's a cross-gen game.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #31296 on: September 30, 2022, 12:48:50 PM »
SSD's are the biggest thing about the new gen, I would never even consider playing anything on my ps4 again cuz FUCK waiting 2 mins for a level to load :scust
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #31297 on: September 30, 2022, 12:53:52 PM »
Another thing is that if Nvidia is determined to keep raising GPU prices through the roof, the mid-gen refresh consoles may be a huge value better than comparable PCs at that point.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31298 on: September 30, 2022, 12:56:27 PM »
SSD's are the biggest thing about the new gen, I would never even consider playing anything on my ps4 again cuz FUCK waiting 2 mins for a level to load :scust

Even some last gen games were a nice surprise. There's still load times in Bloodborne, but like going into the Nexus is down to something around 6 or 7 seconds. From circa 20 at the beginning.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #31299 on: September 30, 2022, 01:00:50 PM »
Waiting for load times builds character.  The amount of character I built while waiting on PS3 Dark Souls 2 load times…shits off the charts.

Himu

« Reply #31300 on: September 30, 2022, 01:08:53 PM »

Are you saying last gen hardware wasn't limited by the cpus?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31301 on: September 30, 2022, 01:42:05 PM »

My preference is consoles. I don't know why it's hard for some of you to understand this.  You want a PC? That's great. Plenty of people don't.

Thats fine just dont oretend you cant use your pc like a console id you put a modicum of effort into it 😂

" I like sitting on my couch" yeah, me too. I can do that with my pc just fine
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #31302 on: September 30, 2022, 02:04:16 PM »

Nope.  Console hardware is always limited, and current gen is no different.  I’m only saying last gen hardware isn’t shit (apart from dual shock battery life, maybe Wii U as well if we’re going to include Nintendo insanity in the mix).

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31303 on: September 30, 2022, 02:38:53 PM »
Faster loading times...

That's the only reason this generation of consoles exists?

But the pandemic...

It's been 2 years and still nothing unique about this generation. It's almost like there's no reason for this generation to exist...

A lot of copium in this discussion...
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31304 on: September 30, 2022, 02:44:18 PM »
The Xbox One and PS4 were shit because of the CPU. In general that line of AMD CPU's was horrible and almost killed their PC CPU business.
That's mostly why all improvements in games were focused on visuals and some games that look better actually regressed in physics (Gears of War 2 vs 4 for example).
I was quite dissapointed when I fired up Destiny as my first game on the original Xbox One. Sure, it looked ok but the framerate was sluggish and the resolution low.
In general the Xbox One felt even less responsive UI wise than the Xbox 360 at times.

That gen didn't get good hardware wise until the PS4 Pro but especially the Xbox One X hit.
The Xbox One X punched far above its weight in many games as consoles used to do and was basically what the Xbox One should've been like at launch.

Thankfully The Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5 and even Xbox Series S are not bottlenecked by their CPU's and offer great value for their hardware configuration.

🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #31305 on: September 30, 2022, 03:00:17 PM »
it seems the gaming is going to be stuck in a zone of diminishing returns of being largely the same as the past gen but looking varying degrees of better until the realism filters or whatever the fuck they're called like in that matrix demo are ready for market.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #31306 on: September 30, 2022, 03:05:17 PM »
Faster loading times...

But the pandemic...

It's been 2 years and still nothing unique about this generation. It's almost like there's no reason for this generation to exist...

If you're looking for innovation because more GPU...that's asking a lot. Like you want them to add a 3rd analog stick or something?

I mean PSVR2 is out soon and is doing some new stuff and you need a PS5 for it, so I guess PS5 is doing something new there?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31307 on: September 30, 2022, 03:05:25 PM »
What

Polident Hive

« Reply #31308 on: September 30, 2022, 03:07:27 PM »
At this moment the consoles are a pretty good value. Mix of the PC market and the overhead of running PS4 games on PS5. Haven’t felt that since the 8800gt dropped.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31309 on: September 30, 2022, 03:32:58 PM »

Thats fine just dont oretend you cant use your pc like a console id you put a modicum of effort into it 😂

" I like sitting on my couch" yeah, me too. I can do that with my pc just fine
I don't have to put any effort. That's the convenience of consoles.

Most people don't have their computer in their living or family room. I don't, so am I going to lug my PC to my tv everytime and then move my tv set up to plug it in?

I could run a long hdmi I guess or just have a console that is geared for this.

Maybe stream the Pc with Nividia shield or whatever and then deal with any issues that come up.

I rather just have a console plugged in.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31310 on: September 30, 2022, 03:38:21 PM »
Faster loading times...

But the pandemic...

Seens kind of stupid to downplay the pandemic and the tech that has actually improved games.

But what do I know. I'm just coping by enjoying my consoles instead of complaining about them. I guess that's what copium is, people enjoying things.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31311 on: September 30, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »
Graphics are fine at this point. Now we need to go back turn-on-and-play-gaming without loading times as it was in the beginning. Definitely a priority I support and one reason I picked up next gen. Still could be a second faster or two on PS5 though. :stahp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31312 on: September 30, 2022, 04:19:32 PM »
I dunno I didnt really have to put in any effort besides sit the PC next to my TV, put in a HDMI cable and install steam, put in my DS4 to the USB port and im ready to play
What

Himu

« Reply #31313 on: September 30, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »

Nope.  Console hardware is always limited, and current gen is no different.  I’m only saying last gen hardware isn’t shit (apart from dual shock battery life, maybe Wii U as well if we’re going to include Nintendo insanity in the mix).

Consoles were always limited it wasn't until last gen when consoles set the tone for gaming. Especially with western devs in the past they made the PC versions more robust. But even the PC versions were limited and set by the standard of the consoles.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31314 on: September 30, 2022, 07:25:27 PM »
I dunno I didnt really have to put in any effort besides sit the PC next to my TV, put in a HDMI cable and install steam, put in my DS4 to the USB port and im ready to play
The one thing that always sucks for me is the sound settings.

Switching between audio devices in windows is a pain not found on consoles. Plus there's the random screen 1 is actually screen 2 or vice versa moments  :doge
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31315 on: September 30, 2022, 08:04:01 PM »
Where do you think the majority of people have their computer and use it for?

Also what kind of tvs do you think the majority of people have?

Do you think the majority of people can or are interested in troubleshooting why their DS4 may not work with every game?

What about trying to scale desktop settings for a regular sub $500 Vizio or LG.

What about making those settings work with one audio?

Aren't you in the tech field? Well gee I'm not surprised setting up a computer is no problem.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #31316 on: September 30, 2022, 09:07:52 PM »
I remember when PC as a platform had either definitive versions of games or exclusives outright. Half Life 2 absolutely smoked everything in 2004 regarding fidelity, physics, animation, art design, and eventually modding ability. It blew everyone away, the actual GOTY in 2004.

When's the last time that happened for a PC game? Something on that platform that demolishes any and all console games?

:freeze
OH!

Polident Hive

« Reply #31317 on: September 30, 2022, 10:16:50 PM »
Closest, and no irony in saying this, is Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Cyberpunk is the game game people treat as a benchmark. All new consoles have 60 FPS modes, or 30 with debatably worthwhile RTX. On PC, lower end cards are maxing it out and hitting 60 FPS. People who shelled out for a $1K GPU can play at 100+ frame rates and whatever. If demands ever get to that Matrix UE5 demo levels, maybe we’ll see something. Show us how many more rubber ducks or meat cubes new consoles can render.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31318 on: September 30, 2022, 10:30:05 PM »

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #31319 on: September 30, 2022, 11:14:15 PM »
I remember when PC as a platform had either definitive versions of games or exclusives outright. Half Life 2 absolutely smoked everything in 2004 regarding fidelity, physics, animation, art design, and eventually modding ability. It blew everyone away, the actual GOTY in 2004.

When's the last time that happened for a PC game? Something on that platform that demolishes any and all console games?

:freeze

I feel Half Life 2 is one of the most overrated games of all time but yeah it really does feel like the PC's last true killer app. For the longest time it has basically been just the best way to play console games, rare exclusives like Valorant not included.
IYKYK