Author Topic: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE  (Read 306946 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE
« Reply #1860 on: May 03, 2019, 04:44:51 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/#

Pretty good piece. Although I'm not 100% sure about this bit :lol

This is not fraud—Roberts really is working on a game—

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1861 on: May 04, 2019, 05:20:06 AM »
The ignorance of crowds  :ussrcry
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:37:27 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:52:39 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Raist

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1866 on: May 05, 2019, 07:07:37 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bkpvp5/psa_the_deletion_of_the_0_ccus_has_reportedly/

The issue is/was the database burden. Longer operation times for searching/joining/optimizing/schema changes etc, more chances for errors, higher maintenance costs, more work to transfer, copy and backup which needs to be done regularly or it puts *all* player fleets at risk. It's purely being done to remove current and future headaches, it's not a matter of "respect", but maintainability.

The issue was that the $0 CCU was an item at all - it should be an instantaneous process instead with no need to store it anywhere. Unfortunately, that was something no one had the foresight to know when this now legacy system was first implemented, and we don't know how herculean an effort it might be to refactor everything to make such a fix workable.

Maybe a bullshit explanation but I love how this sums up the whole project.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1868 on: May 07, 2019, 04:28:00 PM »
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1869 on: May 08, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »
Thinking Disney is worried about Star Citizen.  :no1curr
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1870 on: May 08, 2019, 02:03:30 PM »
Disney's Derek Smart's Desktop Commander :thinking

nudemacusers

« Reply #1871 on: May 08, 2019, 08:01:09 PM »
Whet if the market collapses due to everyone playing star citizen  :o

They need to be stopped!
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #1872 on: May 08, 2019, 08:16:49 PM »
Whet if the market collapses due to everyone playing star citizen  :o

They need to be stopped!
they had this theoretical discussion about the in game economy:

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1873 on: May 08, 2019, 10:08:05 PM »
I love reading all the SC theorycrafting. These people are so deluded it's incredible. They've made up these worlds in their head and believe they're real. Theres nothing close to a game yet/ever and this guy is fantasising about spending in game currency in it. Amazing

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1874 on: May 09, 2019, 03:38:21 AM »
Star Citizen is great because you can have tons of fun with just reading quotes from a few years ago.

"$90 million for what he's pitching, even with a competent leadership, you couldn't do," CS1 wrote. (...)

To this, Roberts says: "How do you or they know this? Which employees said this and what makes them qualified to make that judgement? I know it's what Derek Smart loves to say but he couldn't make a good game with $200m so I don't think his opinion matters.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/star-citizen-employees-speak-out-on-project-woes-crash-and-burn.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:00:37 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1875 on: May 09, 2019, 09:08:24 AM »
I love reading all the SC theorycrafting. These people are so deluded it's incredible. They've made up these worlds in their head and believe they're real. Theres nothing close to a game yet/ever and this guy is fantasising about spending in game currency in it. Amazing

You got people out there fantasizing about Star Citizen single-handedly making all other games and even Pixar movies irrelevant.
dog

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1876 on: May 09, 2019, 10:23:45 AM »
I haven't donated anything to them, but after playing it this free week, I do kind of want to buy a starter pack tbh. It still got a loooooong way to go, but the potential seems undeniable, would like to maybe follow each update.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1877 on: May 09, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
I haven't donated anything to them, but after playing it this free week, I do kind of want to buy a starter pack tbh. It still got a loooooong way to go, but the potential seems undeniable, would like to maybe follow each update.

Space games are cool and there's still a niche between Elite and NMS that a game like Star Citizen could fill. But they've been unable to push even the simpler Wing Commander type single player game out since 2011-2012 (probably because a lot of core mechanics are the same than SC and none of them are done). I don't think they can do it even with 200m$ more unless there's a serious reckoning that they need to focus on an achievable, feature locked design.

I'd say stopping the money flow would probably be the best thing that could happen to it but considering they don't have any cushion money on their own and their burn rate, it's not an option.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1879 on: May 09, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
More like the American Disney Association. We see you, Bob Iger.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:15:27 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:41:35 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #1882 on: May 12, 2019, 05:07:21 PM »
:lol

bluemax

« Reply #1883 on: May 13, 2019, 01:20:39 AM »
Do they even have real race mechanics yet? Last time people were racing they had to manage it all by hand by sharing ghosts or something.

Spend tons of money to own the li-- media?
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1884 on: August 06, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
Haven't followed things lately, doesn't seem much has changed. Seen this on SA but I didn't look into it :

Last thing I know of, CIG tried to price Crytek out of the lawsuit by demanding they post a 2 million dollar bond to cover CIG's legal expenses if Crytek loses, arguing that Crytek is going bankrupt and by the end of this lawsuit might not be able to pay CIG's legal fees if so required. The judge pointed out that while it's true Crytek is in financial trouble, it would be wrong to price Crytek out of the courtroom, so she's set the bond to 500k. Crytek has like, a month or two to post the bond, at which point discovery will begin.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6406#post497278835
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1885 on: August 06, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »
Thoughts and prayers for benji :

When did the Gas Cloud tech disappear from the roadmap entirely?

Press F to pay farts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cl8ops/comment/evtw0wk
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1886 on: August 06, 2019, 01:44:34 PM »
When the most exciting news about your game is the legal maneuvering, and your game isn't Phoenix Wright  :goldberg
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1887 on: August 06, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1888 on: August 06, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
Oh found a new feature : heart attacks when you use too much stamina... Plus a few other injuries.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bht103/heart_attacks_are_happening_way_too_easily/

I broke my legs and died running down a normal corridor. I broke my legs and died walking down two steps after respawning in Arccorp. I died climbing down the ladder of the 300i. I died because I got too close to the windshield of the 600i.

I die constantly for no good reason. Those systems are buggy as hell.

:badass

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1156033142517448706
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:07:05 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1889 on: August 06, 2019, 11:59:47 PM »
I've been following the SA thread regularly. The game has mostly slowed into a steady cadence of releasing very little and they cut back most of their youtube shows despite still asking for paid subscriptions to their channel.

It's just a slow churn of nothingness and dreams.txt at this point.

Someone I know casually who worked there for two years as a high level producer (his linkedin states he reported to Erin!) just left CIG recently and hasn't announced a new job. So you know, same old burning out well connected senior people.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1890 on: August 07, 2019, 02:09:13 AM »
Silverware... IN SPACE ! :lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6381#post497004255

I've been following the SA thread regularly. The game has mostly slowed into a steady cadence of releasing very little and they cut back most of their youtube shows despite still asking for paid subscriptions to their channel.

It's just a slow churn of nothingness and dreams.txt at this point.

Someone I know casually who worked there for two years as a high level producer (his linkedin states he reported to Erin!) just left CIG recently and hasn't announced a new job. So you know, same old burning out well connected senior people.

Thank you to the old guard, time for new blood to finish the fight answer the call !
I'm just curious to see how far they can stretch this. Move out Duke Nukem Forever, there's a new champion in town and he's here to stay and stay and...
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1891 on: August 08, 2019, 02:31:32 AM »
I forgot they added some kind of hover mode thing that sucks and is bad and people are fighting about.

They can keep it going as long as they can keep the money coming.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is the game I wanted this to be.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1892 on: August 16, 2019, 05:47:35 AM »
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6435#post497542811

Alright it's time for the post I actually came her for tonight, another episode of INSIDE STAR CITIZEN

The 8 minute show that costs roughly half a million dollars a week to produce!

* Today's episode will be about gameplay! Haha no, just kidding! It's about particle effects.
* Do you know what a "Signed Distance Field" is? Is this another thing we just invented, and it actually means "hitbox?" We'll never tell!
* Okay today's episode is literally about making the sparks bounce nicely. That's- that's it. They put this out with their heads held high.
* Oh good there's another segment. They sent their audio team to loving sweden to record... chemistry noises? Guess you couldn't get those anywhere else, foley guys? Hope you enjoyed your paid vacation.
* And of course the "Picture of a non-functional spaceship" segment at the end. Looks like those mysterious space gypsies are really into early-2000's spooky-organic alien architecture! An extremely generic design choice from the masterminds at CIG, who no doubt had to spend 6 months underwater studying dolphin loving or something to come up with it.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1894 on: August 16, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
Imagine: all the people, living for today
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #1895 on: August 16, 2019, 05:09:19 PM »
Still waiting for a space sim that will accurately model a traditional science fair baking soda+vinegar volcano in low gravity conditions.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1897 on: August 17, 2019, 04:51:00 AM »
Comment since deleted, sadly.

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1899 on: August 21, 2019, 09:38:25 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/csvopc/cig_vs_crytek_court_case_notice_of_posting_of/

An amusing sidenote on the amount: the judge reduced it because CIG had so vehemently argued that the case was only motivated by cryteks lack of funds. The argument was basically "if CIG say crytek are out of cash, they can't expect a $2m bond"

:mueller
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #1900 on: August 21, 2019, 11:46:59 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/cszyyh/a_grand_buffet_of_juicy_rstarcitizen_drama_to/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Good roundup here
Outside of corporate and project management fuckery, the economy of this game will be a mess. You have people junking ships and claim the insurance to avoid refueling costs. :lol
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1901 on: August 22, 2019, 04:02:32 AM »
Well we don't deserve anything. They're by far better to communicate than all other companies. But the lack of it, while still showing little to no progress isn't good

:brain

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/crkk4g/comment/ex66okp
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1902 on: August 23, 2019, 12:54:37 AM »
Citizen Con is coming up and Chris Roberts has been out of sight for quite awhile.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #1903 on: August 23, 2019, 01:18:50 AM »
I didn't read that Forbes article when it was posted here, I see I should have:
Backstory: a recent Forbes print-magazine article (web edition here, /r/StarCitizen discussion, bonus /r/Games discussion) about an investigation they made into the (mis)management of Star Citizen creators Cloud Imperium Games, wrote that the Roberts Family Trust bought a $4.7m mansion in 2018.

bluemax

« Reply #1904 on: August 23, 2019, 01:54:21 AM »
Backstory: a recent Forbes print-magazine article (web edition here, /r/StarCitizen discussion, bonus /r/Games discussion) about an investigation they made into the (mis)management of Star Citizen creators Cloud Imperium Games, wrote that the Roberts Family Trust bought a $4.7m mansion in 2018.

From couch surfing to living in a mansion.

Although honestly $4mm for a mansion really means its a two story house within 10 miles of the beach in Los Angeles dollars.

Also:

https://twitter.com/RapidDarkVenom/status/1164585338347696128

I know this face. This is the face of a game dev who is so tired and broken and over your shit that they can't even fake a smile for your stupid PR shit.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #1905 on: August 23, 2019, 02:00:41 AM »
https://i.imgur.com/nn8FowA.jpg

I think  this is a cry for help.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1906 on: August 23, 2019, 06:13:21 AM »

From couch surfing to living in a mansion.

Although honestly $4mm for a mansion really means its a two story house within 10 miles of the beach in Los Angeles dollars.

Also:

https://twitter.com/RapidDarkVenom/status/1164585338347696128

I know this face. This is the face of a game dev who is so tired and broken and over your shit that they can't even fake a smile for your stupid PR shit.

They couldn't update the smile roadmap before taking the photo.
Look, it's never been done before OK !?
ὕβρις

Raist

bluemax

« Reply #1908 on: August 27, 2019, 04:02:49 AM »
Apparently ResetEra had a 10+ page thread about the latest Star Citizen thing.

A $250 VIP dinner (for people who had pledged at least $1000 dollars) and a chance to be one of the first to buy a new ship (at a reduced price of who the fuck cares its still too expensive).

Said ship:

1. Doesn't exist in the game and probably isn't close to being in.
2. Is a mine laying ship, because that makes sense in space.
3. Mine laying mechanic does not yet exist (and probably won't ever reach "tier 0")

Good times.
NO

Raist

« Reply #1909 on: August 27, 2019, 04:14:10 AM »
Apparently ResetEra had a 10+ page thread about the latest Star Citizen thing.

A $250 VIP dinner (for people who had pledged at least $1000 dollars) and a chance to be one of the first to buy a new ship (at a reduced price of who the fuck cares its still too expensive).

Said ship:

1. Doesn't exist in the game and probably isn't close to being in.
2. Is a mine laying ship, because that makes sense in space.
3. Mine laying mechanic does not yet exist (and probably won't ever reach "tier 0")

Good times.

Yes, here. https://www.resetera.com/threads/yesterday-star-citizen-held-a-275-dinner-available-only-to-users-who-had-spent-1000-where-they-announced-a-new-675-ship.137162/

With a handful of stans trying their best to justify all this, of course.

And someone got their hands on a copy of the menu.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Raist

« Reply #1910 on: August 27, 2019, 11:31:54 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cuxz18/photo_from_275_concierge_events_evening_meal/ey254da/

:lol
Eric mentioned merchandise is being revamped, along with faster delivery times. Speaking to Chris, SSOCS is targeted for 3.8 but they're realistic it might be pushed back to next year. It's a requirement for Squadron 42, as it's effectively running a server on the local machine. Static server messing is due end of 2020 but I got the impression that dynamic server meshing will take a lot longer.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1911 on: August 27, 2019, 11:34:10 AM »
One of those wines is 4,49€ at Aldi/Lidl, to quote Bismarckie too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cuxz18/comment/ey254da

Also lifted from that thread, a photo of the events and some salty info... Croberts apparently gave the impressions there would be delays (shocking). I guess "SSOCS" is what they formerly called Object Container Streaming (OCS) the milestone that will speed up development pipelines etc... But has been just over that hill line of the next update for the last few years

Eric mentioned merchandise is being revamped, along with faster delivery times. Speaking to Chris, SSOCS is targeted for 3.8 but they're realistic it might be pushed back to next year. It's a requirement for Squadron 42, as it's effectively running a server on the local machine. Static server messing is due end of 2020 but I got the impression that dynamic server meshing will take a lot longer.

There was also mention of an upcoming video in the next week that fans will really like, though Erin wasn't willing to say any more than that.

Also in relation the roadmap, CR told us that 3.8 might have some features that will slip, he was not confident about everything on the roadmap making it into that patch. (Microtech is an obvious one here).

Also Chris is hard at work coding the physics refactor of the game, and SSOCS which will be coming will come in tandem with Item Cache 2.0 which will allow much better persistence then we currently have in the game.

I wish he said this kind of stuff on ISC and not at Concierge only events tho

It's because sadly too many people here and on spectrum have proven many times over that they are not capable of handling information well. Starting with the simple missing ability of understanding what "estimate" means compared to "knowing the Future in detail".

I mean just look at the accusations and "broken promis" rants or "scope creep" discussions, etc.

If I were Cris I would also not feed the trolls, even if many trolls are not trolls on purpose and don't even know they are.

Greatest Open of All Time.
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #1912 on: August 27, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
TFW your dev heroes show up to a $275 event still wasted from the previous night, don't have much to show/say other than more ships.jpg and "more delays lol soz", and there's not enough potatoes and bread for everyone.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1913 on: August 27, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
Oh and the spaceship.jpg revealed at the dinner is 695 bucks.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1914 on: August 27, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
The potato shortage at the tables was actually a lore tie in to the great Vanduul Potato Famine of 2835, that coincidently enough, was the initiator of the great conflict.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6483#post497825811
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1915 on: August 27, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
Oh man info dump on Reddit :

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cvyml3/chairmans_club_dinner_report_lots_of_information/

Attention will be paid to the character model, animations and voice recordings coming from an actor. Thereby the character should look more real. Hideo Kojima was mentioned as a counterexample. He uses three different characters for the character model, the animations and the voice recordings.

:itagaki

Exciting DREAMS™ about the Mine gameplay (because you know, the ship they revealed at the dinner is a minesweeper).

So far two types of mines are planned (Explosive and Gun). It has been suggested that more types will be added.
The mines have small thrusters. This will allow them to maintain their position. Explosive mines can move towards a target. If mines are dropped while the ship is moving, the mines will slow down with the thrusters. This makes it more difficult to position the mines at high speed. The thrusters will be too weak to counteract the gravitational force of planets. A minefield directly above Lorville does not have to be feared.
It should not be so easy to block a jump point permanently with mines. The mines will be expensive and have to be maintained (the components age with time; just like the ships). This will prevent large minefields and a permanent blockade of important locations.
Since the mines have components just like the spaceships, their signature can be located by a scan. It can be assumed that the signature of the mines is very small and difficult to detect. The Terrapin should be well suited for this task.
Mines will occur in SQ42, nothing has been said about the Nautilus.
The Nautilus has two drones to collect the mines. Thus it is not quite so annoying if a salvage fails and the drone is destroyed.

Keywords : planned, will, should.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - the Terrapin is going to be the go-to onboard ship for the Polaris. A fighter or pair of Arrows won’t be able to accomplish many of the strategic and tactical operations a Terrapin could. You’d be better served, IMO, using Vanguards as the fighter escort.

:gamer
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 12:02:03 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #1916 on: August 27, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
After the one-hour presentation, questions about the Nautilus and the mines could be asked for half an hour.

So far two types of mines are planned (Explosive and Gun). It has been suggested that more types will be added.

The mines have small thrusters. This will allow them to maintain their position. Explosive mines can move towards a target. If mines are dropped while the ship is moving, the mines will slow down with the thrusters. This makes it more difficult to position the mines at high speed. The thrusters will be too weak to counteract the gravitational force of planets. A minefield directly above Lorville does not have to be feared.

It should not be so easy to block a jump point permanently with mines. The mines will be expensive and have to be maintained (the components age with time; just like the ships). This will prevent large minefields and a permanent blockade of important locations.

Since the mines have components just like the spaceships, their signature can be located by a scan. It can be assumed that the signature of the mines is very small and difficult to detect. The Terrapin should be well suited for this task.

Mines will occur in SQ42, nothing has been said about the Nautilus.

The Nautilus has two drones to collect the mines. Thus it is not quite so annoying if a salvage fails and the drone is destroyed.

Good to see they're still focusing on the really important stuff.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1917 on: August 27, 2019, 12:04:26 PM »

O M E G A L U L
dog

Raist

« Reply #1918 on: August 27, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »
Can't wait to jump in my $2,000 ship and roleplay as the minefield maintenance guy.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1919 on: August 27, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
Can’t wait to wear my $275 swag bag Chairman’s Club scarf out around town because minelayers don’t even exist and this is literally all I have . :fabulous
©@©™