Author Topic: It has been 4... 0 days since the last mass shooting official shooting thread  (Read 183828 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
https://twitter.com/TSM_OmEgA/status/1106420348407427072?s=20

:-\
Dude is not 14.

The actual profile looks to be legit things a 14 year old would post and isn’t new or anything.
Sorry, I looked at the profile and saw a photo of a dude with a beard. I assumed that was him, but maybe not.
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
I think what everyone here is capable of doing, though, is if you know a young guy who's extremely alienated from society, reach out to him, make him feel like he's a part of something, so that he doesn't have to go online and find something crazy to be a part of instead.
That last part's important because he'll just turn his account over to Glen.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Yeah, I'll avoid the video there.
Fucking terrible news.
:fbm
ὕβρις

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Puts a whole 'nother spin on shootings when it happens so close to home. Always felt like such a distant, and tbh, North American problem. Saw a few frames of the video my colleagues dl'd, I work with pretty disassociated nerds and I saw them wince and look kinda disgusted with themselves as they continued watching people getting murdered before they shut it down. Bit disgusted, but like curly said it probably didn't register for them straight away. Really depressing, horrible shit. Happy our prime minister at least denounced it as a terrorist attack immediately. Apparently the shooter had some tags on the guns indicating some white supremacy shit. Pretty clear anyway.
◕‿◕

nudemacusers

Why did I watch the New Zealand footage? It made me so fucking emotional. I’ve seen lots of videos of people dying but something about so many innocent people at once is so savage to me. Going to give me so many nightmares :/

Fuck gun supporters.
Younger me used to watch this stuff out of curiosity but some time ago I concluded it just isn’t good for the soul.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
I was getting an Uber into town today and my driver had the radio on as this was breaking. He was muslim and had been at a local mosque just before. It was horrible seeing him react to the news and keep on driving - he was stone faced and seemed incredulous. I didn't know what to do or say, I just told him I was so sorry and thought New Zealand was better than this. This attack has shaken us to the core - I never thought I would see anything like this in NZ where we are apparently so tolerant and inclusive. A horrible day for humanity.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I think rotten.com alone did damage to me that took years to overcome.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
yeah, I learned of rotten dotcom when I was ~14 circa. 2000 and I wanted no part of any of that shit. Some of the content was distributed by edgelord nerds amongst our school email system. I can understand the idea of morbid curiosity, but my moral compass overrode that even at that age. I just always considered that that type of content was procured and curated by degenerates for degenerates. Nothing positive or educational about it whatsoever

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
It was mostly pranks among nerds for me, like people would make goatse, tubgirl your desktop or create a host entry on your pc to make everything link to rotten. At some point I unironically went there to see what's 'new' and ended up browsing there, 4chan /b/ and some other places for a while, I stopped going there about 10 - 15 years ago now, but I forsure felt it's shadow on me after. It took me probably a year to enjoy the internet 'normally' after.

BisMarckie

Absolutely terrible, I haven’t seen the video of him shooting and I hopefully never will, but the way he nonchalantly takes out the gun out of his trunk and walks up to the mosque is just sickening.
What a sick fuck,

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Absolutely terrible, I haven’t seen the video of him shooting and I hopefully never will, but the way he nonchalantly takes out the gun out of his trunk and walks up to the mosque is just sickening.
What a sick fuck,

Yeah, they showed the clip of him grabbing his arsenal out of the boot on the national 6 o'clock news which I thought was super irresponsible as it showed viewers that the footage even exists. It deserves no recognition whatsoever.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
And for sure PewDiePie will have problems now. The attacker explicitly called his channel and it will be investigated by the officials. If they find *anything* there that can be linked to hate crime - it's over. Methinks he would be wiser to not wait for investigations but just close the channel himself. Sponsors etc. will avoid him like plague now.

Jesus - it begins https://twitter.com/pewdiepie/status/1106419935390171136

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Blaming pewdiepie seems to be what the shooter wanted.

daemon

saw the vid. I believe as a society we should do proper training to react better in those situations, just like we're trained into how to react on fires, quakes, etc. It made me sick to see people just piling up in a corner pretending to be dead when there's no rooms to watch. They were just waiting to be slaughtered. When you see one guy tackle him down causing him losing the weapon, it makes you realize that if that same reaction was more common, if they actually stacked as a group to retaliate once he entered the room, there would've only been a handful of victims.

May they rest in peace. And to the gunman, all seven hells.

Also the edgelord meme stuff (subscribe to pewdiepie, initialD music when fleeing)... jesus christ.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:04:07 AM by daemon »

Nola

Also, apparently, a race war triggered by American gun nuts.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Also, apparently, a race war triggered by American gun nuts.
Yeah, these people chose to press every rustle button available to them.

Himu

Disgusting!
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Why cant these fucks just sub to an mmo and veg away.

Himu

It’s crazy how he tried to do this specifically to divide the US. What the Christ
IYKYK

Himu

Dude really used memes while justifying killing people??
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
it's mental how you can go back to 2008 4chan memelogy when habbo hotel raids were all the rage and trace its cultural diaspora down to everything from facebook aunts recirculating cat macros to people who took a decade of edgeposting to heart and went and blew away a mosque.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
The video is weird as fuck watching. But my curosity still made me watch it... and then download it to be sure I had it.  :doge

Why cant these fucks just sub to an mmo and veg away.

Breivik did do that. But at some point WoW gets stale, and then we have to look at the real terrorist. Blizzard.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

daemon

Dude really used memes while justifying killing people??

I don't think he did anything else but try to persist in the internet.

You've got to understand that someone that spends 24/7 on the internet with a bunch of people glorifying what becomes famous in the internet are probably going to do actions to persist in that medium. It's pretty basic psychology stuff. He doesn't need to appear in books. In his mind, he's already in the pinnacle of what he cares about.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
It's not pewdipie or candace owen's fault. They're just entertainers.  :doge
©ZH

nachobro

• Live Más
i guess this means patrick should stick to his specialty, rape time

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
I think it's interesting to see how people are reacting more emotionally to this because video exists. It's kind of crazy how much more impact violence has on us when we can see it and not just read about it in a blurb a few hours later.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
I think it's interesting to see how people are reacting more emotionally to this because video exists. It's kind of crazy how much more impact violence has on us when we can see it and not just read about it in a blurb a few hours later.

I definitely think that’s part of the reason it hit me so hard. I’m sure other shootings have been recorded before, but this is the first time it’s been a major part of the conversation.

I can’t stop thinking about the piles of bodies. Even the chainsaw beheading video didn’t hit me this hard.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Jihadi John fucked with me for months.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Pretty glad im not gonna watch that video

Horrible fuck. Jesus christ man

the internet was a goddamn mistake
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Watched the footage with a co-worker today. It looked so unreal. Almost like that movie that recently came out with the first person shooting bits or like Borys said, a video game.

It's really fucking scary to see how far his mind has gone. He doesn't seem to have any emotional impact from killing others.
Even soldiers and criminals have this "OH SHIT" moment when they shoot someone. This guy just walks up, starts blasting away and walks away as if nothing happened.

Not sure if/why/how we can blame this on the internet though. It seems more like a problem festered in today's society and people will learn all the wrong lessons from this event.
🤴

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
what the fuck is wrong with you, watching it with a co-worker?
püp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
If I come across the video, I'll probably watch. I won't go looking for it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron

Morbid curiosity is a thing. Not to defend Nintex in general :hhh
But yeah, I don't there's anything to gain from watching that, it's already terrible as is.
ὕβρις

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Not going to watch because I'm not stupid :rejoice
每天生气

Bebpo

I didn't watch the video and I'm not going to watch the video wtf. I also don't watch the other snuff shit because why the fuck would I want to watch that.

This terrorist attack hits me as hard as all the big other ones, the Paris theater, 9/11, etc...the smaller ones are as just as awful but the ones that are done on pure bullshit pseudo-ideological hatred hurt the most. And I'd say this one maybe even the most of all because there's zero doubt this was someone raised by the internet and as we are all the group of people who've been there from the start, this is our generation. We saw this shit happen as websites got more and more group think and closed bubbles and when 2ch became 4ch became 8ch, and the filth of some of the Reddit sub-forums. When .tor and darknet came around. To some of us it was just torrents pirating movies, who cares, but along the underbelly there was fucked up shit being propagated and it just sorta was a thing that happens on the internet.

No one stopped anything, and why would people. Any infringement on internet rights like DMCA or Pirate Bay take downs was an attack on the freedom of the internet. I mean I agree about who gives a shit about internet bootlegs, but the idea that the internet had to be totally unregulated was intertwined with that and it allowed the internet to basically become a giant unfathomable abyss with all these little cesspools where people gather, live in a bubble and get radicalized.

It's just utterly depressing because it feels like it's too late and there's little we can do because we're way past when the floodgates opened. Like as an individual I feel powerless and hopeless. What can you even do? Donate to the victims, if you see someone who is isolated anti-social and only posts on reddit/4ch/whatever try to get them out of their bubble and socializing, but for the most part the only way this kind of stuff can really be addressed are for the big powerful entities like the FBI and stuff to have people watching shady forums and places and acting to try to prevent people if it looks like it's escalating. But with half the government not wanting people to spy on white supremacy groups, or force the shutdown and deplatforming of places like 8ch, it feels like nothing is going to happen and as an individual there's little you can do about it and it will just keep happening and keep getting worse as the generation raised on memes/lulz and nihilism keeps getting older and more desperate.

I had to get my car serviced today so I was sitting in the waiting room and the tv was on and some newscasters were laughing about a turkey on a road. And then the weather person was all smiling and joking about the weather. I know it's there job, but I'm just like how can anyone be smiling and laughing less than 12 hours from this. I just can't deal with anything or anyone today. I'm just so angry :(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
He was looking for news on his phone during lunch and said, wow this shit is fucked. So he showed me his screen.
To be honest just like Borys said. The first few moments you're not really aware that it is not a movie or a game.

He kinda moved like you do in an FPS game as well. As if the gun was attached to his arms. From what I could see he barely aimed down his sights.

It looked very surreal even as a video from someone who recorded the stream (so on his phone, it was this tiny frame that actually showed the horrid stuff).

We speculated that he must've actually practiced moving around like this at some point. Making sure the gun was in the camera frame whatnot.
This seemed to have been a long time in the making.
🤴

shosta

I am fascinated by human behavior so I did watch but I do regret it, and I don't usually say that. 

I feel like watching those sorts of things does not desensitize me to violence, on the contrary it feeds my general anti-war stance as actually seeing visuals of that kind of shit makes it more real.
I completely agree that there's a lot of power in seeing the results of something versus thinking about it abstractly. This is off-topic for this thread but this reminds me that it's easy to justify airstrikes etc. in Syria or Yemen against terrorism, and then you see those pictures of the entire city's buildings completely blown the fuck out, for miles and miles, and it would make anyone think twice about it.
每天生气

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Right now glad I follow a small amount of people on Twitter. Passing around the video and the manifesto is just going to cause more pain.

I follow 5000 people on Twitter and still haven't encountered any manifesto or video excerpts?
QED

shosta

I follow 5000 people on Twitter and still haven't encountered any manifesto or video excerpts?
I've read your retweets and I'm not at all surprised by this
每天生气

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
I had to get my car serviced today so I was sitting in the waiting room and the tv was on and some newscasters were laughing about a turkey on a road. And then the weather person was all smiling and joking about the weather. I know it's there job, but I'm just like how can anyone be smiling and laughing less than 12 hours from this. I just can't deal with anything or anyone today. I'm just so angry :(

go into the post history of even the most emotionally charged poster over any recent incident and you'll find that post flanked by gripes over the latest marvel poster colour scheme or whatever trivial bollocks comes to mind. one of the most prominent aspects of internet culture is the ability to alt-tab between emotions on the fly.

i saw part of the video, just like i've seen some grizzly things in life and the thing that always strikes me is how understated it all feels. we're so used to horrific moments in media being delivered in the most bombastic fashion possible that it's impossible to process seeing something horrific presented in the comparative banality of real life in the way we've been trained to. it feels like a rehearsal or unfinished out-take.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:23:56 PM by headwalk »

Himu

Amazing to me people would watch this shit. You guys who watch violence like that Jihadi John guy you mention are weird to me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:44:55 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
so judgemental

Himu

Bro you said you downloaded a video of people - real people - being massacred.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
i was afraid they would remove it, and i had to download it just in case i wanted to show a co-worker :idont

nachobro

• Live Más

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber

Fuck this dude.  I can’t fucking stand these meme nazis. 
püp

shosta

Ok, since this is a real cultural debate, now:

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1106633102808571906

Do people have a right to freely distribute information? Or does setting up online spaces to share unedited violence motivate people to become infamous? Doesn't the news already do that? I don't really know the answer to these questions.
每天生气

Himu

(Image removed from quote.)

holy shit
IYKYK

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Amazing to me people would watch this shit. You guys who watch violence like that Jihadi John guy you mention are weird to me.

I’m not usually sensitive to these kinds of videos but there was just something different about it.

Himu

I’m not usually sensitive to these kinds of videos but there was just something different about it.

Let me get this right: you're not usually sensitive of videos of people actually being murdered?

IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
as someone who enjoys ultraviolent media (gaming, film etc) and grew up in the wild west era of the internet watching kids watch dudes get beheaded in study room there's a line man. If you got dailymotion bookmarks, 8chan rss feeds and subbed to fucked subreddits like just...be better. There are more productive ways of being an edgelord, I promise. It's one thing to stubble onto photos of charred/bombed corpses. It's another to watch a video someone livestreamed of mass murder.

It's not about the strangling of the flow of information...it's about discouraging psychotic behavior. Reddit boldly considers it the "front page" of the internet. It shouldn't have fucking had a watch ppl die subbreddit in the first place.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
It's not that if you watch this ogrish shit that you're a bad person.

It's that if you watch it you are by definition an unhealthy person.
yar

team filler

• filler
  • filler
 ::)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
It's not that if you watch this ogrish shit that you're a bad person.

It's that if you watch it you are by definition an unhealthy person.

Just because someone finds themselves compulsively drawn to violence doesn't mean they're "unhealthy". Maybe try to have a little empathy jeez

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I don't think you can prevent this sort of footage from being circulated on the internet. Unless you ban all user created content from the internet. People have these tools, they can do with it whatever they want.
An article used the term: "The internet is Pandora's box with no lid" and that's right. However, I wouldn't give up the freedom of the internet just because of a handful of these terrible events.

There have already been people who live streamed rape, murder, torture, suicide and other awful shit. Did you really think that it would stop with ISIS creating snuff films of their acts?
They merely inspired other fucked up people and groups to do the same thing. You can decide not to watch it (if you don't happen to stumble upon by accident and clicking #pewdiepie was pretty much enough to have the video autoplay in your social media feed) but you can't 'erase' or 'censor' it from history.

There's an interesting documentary on this subject with regards to the Iraq war. When at some point the groups prior to ISIS started to hand over video tapes of their acts to a journalist who tried to contact them.
(suicide bombings with trucks, beatings, kidnappings, raids on US troops, everything). As a journalist he was very conflicted about what to do with the footage and it really fucked him up.
At some point he pretty much filmed his own kidnapping and his meeting with the Jihadi's before they carried out their attacks.
It is called 'Only the dead' and it really sheds an interesting light on this subject: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3587396/
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
(Image removed from quote.)

Such a sack of shit
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
It shouldn't have fucking had a watch ppl die subbreddit in the first place.

r/gore   banned
r/wpdtalk   banned
r/Pewdiepie_Submissions   banned
r/PewDiePieSubmissions   private
r/offensivememes   quarantined
r/edgymemes   quarantined
r/imgoingtohellforthis   private, top mod suspended.
r/WPD   banned
r/SeePeopleKilled   banned

I'm surprised "I'm going to hell for this" isn't banned. Then again, it was sort of a "unpopularopinion"/edgy opinion board.

Reddit's major problem is being reactionary only when major news outlets happen to advertise those subreddits. imgoingtohellforthis was a "popular"/meme'd (/r/ reply) subreddit for over like 7-8 years. How couldn't reddit have known about it?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
now we will have to go to chans for our edgy memes and radicalization. :(

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Reddit's major problem is being reactionary only when major news outlets happen to advertise those subreddits. imgoingtohellforthis was a "popular"/meme'd (/r/ reply) subreddit for over like 7-8 years. How couldn't reddit have known about it?
Yup. Ad dollars at risk? Intervention. Been that way since r/jailbait was banned. Or even earlier.