Author Topic: It has been 4... 0 days since the last mass shooting official shooting thread  (Read 183875 times)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Amazing to me people would watch this shit. You guys who watch violence like that Jihadi John guy you mention are weird to me.

I’m not usually sensitive to these kinds of videos but there was just something different about it.

Let me get this right: you're not usually sensitive of videos of people actually being murdered?

(Image removed from quote.)

No. I mean I can go on /r/watchpeopledie and feel fine. Not sure if that makes me a psychopath or whatever lol.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Reddit's major problem is being reactionary only when major news outlets happen to advertise those subreddits. imgoingtohellforthis was a "popular"/meme'd (/r/ reply) subreddit for over like 7-8 years. How couldn't reddit have known about it?
Yup. Ad dollars at risk? Intervention. Been that way since r/jailbait was banned. Or even earlier.

Honestly I might prefer reactive approches to preemptive ones (without going into specifics, I guess there's some stuff that should be common sense to not allow).
ὕβρις

Himu

Amazing to me people would watch this shit. You guys who watch violence like that Jihadi John guy you mention are weird to me.

I’m not usually sensitive to these kinds of videos but there was just something different about it.

Let me get this right: you're not usually sensitive of videos of people actually being murdered?

No. I mean I can go on /r/watchpeopledie and feel fine. Not sure if that makes me a psychopath or whatever lol.

That's exactly my point though. You can watch people die and feel nothing. It's weird to me.
IYKYK

EightBitNate

That's exactly my point though. You can watch people die and feel nothing. It's weird to me.

It’s years of conditioning on the internet. I was more of an edge lord in my youth. I’ve moved away from that but the inability to recognize that images on a computer screen are real still hasn’t really kicked in all the way.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
that is weird. i would feel very excited doing that.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I don't think it's a good thing to make a habit of, but it's also quite normal to feel nothing about. I used to be the guy that clicks every link, so I know from personal experience. You can too, probably, depending on a variety of factors, some damning to our sensibilities (i.e. do those dying look like us?). You might even be satisfied with the outcome and quitly think "good" if it's an agressor or whatever.
Hell, public executions are still around and nobody satisfied by the spectacle thinks of themselves as a psycho. The vast majority of them are correct.

See it this way. Most of our news are essentially rubbernecking. Crime, accidents, disasters and all manner of ominous hidden dangers that we have an instinctive need to know about. It helps us calibrate to our environment. Stare at the result and learn what not to do, where not to go, etc. What makes you a psycho is deriving sadistic pleasure from it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
A part of me feels like people need to watch the video [to understand and internalize just how easily the shooter did what he did, how quickly it all happened, the devastating nature of gun violence, ect.], but on the other hand...I really don't want to watch that video after hearing the details.
dog

Himu

I don't think it's a good thing to make a habit of, but it's also quite normal to feel nothing about. I used to be the guy that clicks every link, so I know from personal experience. You can too, probably, depending on a variety of factors, some damning to our sensibilities (i.e. do those dying look like us?). You might even be satisfied with the outcome and quitly think "good" if it's an agressor or whatever.
Hell, public executions are still around and nobody satisfied by the spectacle thinks of themselves as a psycho. The vast majority of them are correct.

See it this way. Most of our news are essentially rubbernecking. Crime, accidents, disasters and all manner of ominous hidden dangers that we have an instinctive need to know about. It helps us calibrate to our environment. Stare at the result and learn what not to do, where not to go, etc. What makes you a psycho is deriving sadistic pleasure from it.

I think it's okay to watch the occasional video for clarification. I watched the murder of Tamir Rice by police for instance. I've also seen the murder video of Eric Garner. But willingly seeking videos of people being murdered? Seeing videos of people dying like that, I have zero want in me to pursue watching the Christchurch shooting. Guns are deadly force and not to be taken lightly. I know exactly what they can do and do not want to gawk at such brutality.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Yeah, I hear you. Just trying to put things into perspective. Other people have a higher tolerance. I myself have long since had my fill. Don't even want to read about the grizzly details any more.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I haven't seen this video nor do I care to see it.

Himu

Stories of heroism from nyt:

Abdul Aziz, 48, was in the Linwood mosque praying with his four sons when he heard gunshots. He immediately knew something was wrong.

Rather than running from the sound, he ran toward it and grabbed the first thing he could find — a credit card machine — and flung it at the attacker. He tried to distract the attacker in a move that many fellow worshippers have described as heroic, weaving through cars in the parking lot, attempting to draw the gunman’s attention away from the mosque.

Latef Alabi, the acting imam of Linwood, told the Associated Press he believed the death toll would have been far higher at the mosque without Mr. Aziz’s actions.

Mr. Aziz said he saw the attacker drop one of his guns and managed to grab it but when he pulled the trigger, the gun was empty. When the gunman went to his car, presumably to grab more ammunition, Mr. Aziz said he threw the gun at the assailant’s windshield, shattering the glass. The assailant sped away.

Mr. Aziz remained humble, saying in an interview with The New York Times that anyone in his position would have done the same. “I was prepared to give my life to save another life,” he said.

Subscribe for original insights, commentary and discussions on the major news stories of the week, from columnists Max Fisher and Amanda Taub.

Originally from Kabul, Afghanistan, Mr. Aziz lived in Australia for 27 years after having fled the violence of his home country. He moved to New Zealand a few years ago, describing it as a beautiful country.

IYKYK

Himu

The most frightening element of the shooting is how he related it to the internet. Like I don't understand who or what would murder people for internet points while throwing out memes but it pushes the disregard for life even further.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/technology/facebook-youtube-christchurch-shooting.html?action=click&module=RelatedCoverage&pgtype=Article&region=Footer
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
Active shooter at the University of Michigan.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
police confirm no active shooter
每天生气

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
It's not that if you watch this ogrish shit that you're a bad person.

It's that if you watch it you are by definition an unhealthy person.

Just because someone finds themselves compulsively drawn to violence doesn't mean they're "unhealthy". Maybe try to have a little empathy jeez

No, I'm quite fine with this judgment, especially considering all the other characteristics those that have admitted to watching it here consistently display.

Seek therapy.
yar

team filler

• filler
  • filler
 :zzz

Human Snorenado

• Icon
:zzz

I'm sorry you find your need/"right" to have the lulz to supersede basic human empathy and not wanting to see other human beings lose their lives on camera. Again, this is not the behavior of a healthy human being. Seek therapy.
yar

team filler

• filler
  • filler
 ??? I haven't watched the video, mate

chronovore

• relapsed dev

::)

Just because someone finds themselves compulsively drawn to violence doesn't mean they're "unhealthy". Maybe try to have a little empathy jeez

NARRATOR: Filler, in fact, is not a healthy person.

Transhuman, reflect on your own choice of words. Maybe it's a lack of empathy - itself unhealthy - that drives those who are "compulsively drawn to violence."

team filler

• filler
  • filler
 :zzz :zzz

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
filler's pretty normal when the veil drops, this other stuff is mostly escapism for him. well that's my take.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
 :-*

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0

::)

NARRATOR: Filler, in fact, is not a healthy person.

Transhuman, reflect on your own choice of words. Maybe it's a lack of empathy - itself unhealthy - that drives those who are "compulsively drawn to violence."

I am so empathetic that I try to not even hurt people in self-defence, whether physically or otherwise. There's quite a few who would consider that unreasonably pacifistic, or an unsustainable and foolish stance. Is self-abnegation unhealthy? Many would say yes. And sure, empathy is great- but most killers and rapists have empathy. That's not their problem.

Personally, I didn't watch the video. I assume nearly all of the people who did, did so because everyone was talking about it and they didn't want to feel left out, or there was a video on Facebook that started auto-playing. I'd guess the number of people who watched it because they desperately wanted to see someone — anyone — die, is minuscule. Not that there's anything wrong with that compulsion in isolation.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
filler's pretty normal when the veil drops, this other stuff is mostly escapism for him. well that's my take.

When I drop the veil it just gets worse : (

team filler

• filler
  • filler

When I drop the veil it just gets worse : (
when you drop the veil  :nope
when you drop the egg  :ohyeah

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Seems there has been a shooting in Utrecht. (The Netherlands)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Man I was in Utrecht 6 years ago

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Nintex taking his trolling too far.

Dutch Marrocan Mosque Organization telling Mosques in the neighbourhood to keep closed.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Man I was in Utrecht 6 years ago

Stay safe.
Margs

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I watched an Utrecht FC match on TV 12 years ago

BisMarckie

I watched an Utrecht FC match on TV 12 years ago

I hope you had some money on it I wouldn't be caught dead watching an Eredivisie game. :yuck :trash

If not then you're the real terrorist here.

Himu

I won’t begrudge others watching if they were Muslim.

One time I watched Brazilians kill a trans woman. They savagely beat her bloody and then dumped her into wheelbarrow to be carried off into an alley where she was murdered. They don’t show the murder but they do show them running full blast while she’s in the wheelbarrow pleading for her life. I warched that to understand the pain people around the world who are lgbt suffer.

So I understand wanting to see the harsh reality of a situation if you’re close to it. It’s also why I watched the Tamir Rice video.

What I don’t understand are people who would go to those violence subreddits or liveleak and willingly look for violent videos of people being murdered. You aren’t close to the situation, it’s not relevant to you.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Filler is a chud [cannibalistic humanoid underground dweller] who desperately wants to be relevant, but everybody knows he's unable to actually drive or even influence the conversation [unlike his idols etiolate and assimilate].
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
What I don’t understand are people who would go to those violence subreddits or liveleak and willingly look for violent videos of people being murdered.

It's not overly complicated. People are drawn to things that are forbidden or taboo.

That's why banning or arresting people who distribute it are wrong-headed. It only makes the content more valuable and salacious to those who are drawn to that type of thing.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
3 people confirmed dead by mayor of Utrecht.

9 wounded of which another 3 are in a bad state.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Sucks ass

EightBitNate

I won’t begrudge others watching if they were Muslim.

One time I watched Brazilians kill a trans woman. They savagely beat her bloody and then dumped her into wheelbarrow to be carried off into an alley where she was murdered. They don’t show the murder but they do show them running full blast while she’s in the wheelbarrow pleading for her life. I warched that to understand the pain people around the world who are lgbt suffer.

So I understand wanting to see the harsh reality of a situation if you’re close to it. It’s also why I watched the Tamir Rice video.

What I don’t understand are people who would go to those violence subreddits or liveleak and willingly look for violent videos of people being murdered. You aren’t close to the situation, it’s not relevant to you.

Oh so will telling you I come from a Palestinian-Muslim background make you stop thinking less of me for watching the video?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
People couldn't possibly think any less of you anyways. Don't worry.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Seems the suspect in the Utrecht shootings has been caught. Hope they got the right guy.

EightBitNate

People couldn't possibly think any less of you anyways. Don't worry.

Just randomly mean to me and I have no idea who you are  :'(

Himu

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/gun-owners-in-new-zealand-brace-for-big-changes-to-their-right-to-carry/2019/03/18/6460f8e0-48ec-11e9-8cfc-2c5d0999c21e_story.html?utm_term=.50c4915a5c29

see, this isn't so hard

No mass  shooting in like 30 years

“We need to make it harder for people to obtain guns”

>levels will stay flat because it’s a low crime place
> anti gun activists will consider this a victory despite this being the first mass shooting in NZ in 30 years
> “see? The laws work”
> some nutter does another shooting in 30 years from now, first one since the Christchurch one
> “We need to do something” :brazilcry

Also, the killer said he wanted them to change gun laws. Now they’re doing it despite him saying politically he wants and knows it’s going to happen. Terrorists win. Good job. *claps for the NZ pm*

Never mind the act of making policy right after a horrifying, traumatic event. See: Going to war after 9/11. It’s almost like reactionary policy doesn’t work.

Thankfully, I’m an American. :american it’s almost like people that don’t like guns find them déclassé and won’t stop until they are completely out of “polite” society. Except if you’re rich, and can afford security guards. Or the government, and can own the police. This is why you never give up an inch. They’ll always want to take more.

Oh, but,”humanity is facing a crisis with climate change. It will completely alter the Earth’s resources.” Thankfully we have the government and the rich to protect us. :american
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Not sure what was wrong with NZ gun laws, I dont know the place. Did this jackass get guns legally?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:22:30 PM by Momo »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Did this jackass get guns legally?

Looks that way.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Zealand

sounds like they hand them out easier than maga hats

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I was actually supposed to go to Utrecht today and then the news rolled in so we cancelled the plans.
Last week we had to cancel because I had the flu. So maybe this meeting is cursed.  :doge

Anyway, the motive is not clear at this time. They arrested a suspect with a Turkish background.
In 2011 he went viral on the internet for telling a Playmate reporter "Her ass was half open" and "She was a democrat, not Sharia".
The police seems pretty certain that this is their guy.

The motive could be terror related but it might also have something to do with relationsip struggles or a revenge killing to clear his family 'honor'.
🤴

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
I'm okay with calling honor killing terrorism as it terrorizes an entire gender caught in a sharia community.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I'm okay with calling honor killing terrorism as it terrorizes an entire gender caught in a sharia community.
That's pretty much our PM's take on it as well because 3 people are dead and 3 more are in critical condition.

Anyway we have senate elections in 2 days so the timing of this for our government is pretty bad.
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Nvm next paged

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Filler is a chud [cannibalistic humanoid underground dweller] who desperately wants to be relevant, but everybody knows he's unable to actually drive or even influence the conversation [unlike his idols etiolate and assimilate].
I only want to be filler  :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
the state that gave us mike pence just keeps on giving  :stahp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Tarrant (PDP killer) apparently got upset with his appointed attorney so he dismissed him and is going to represent himself. Just like the monster Tim Heidecker.

Legal experts are likely wondering if he will he raise the Chinese Connection* issue.

*Not to be confused with Epic Games Store's new queue system.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
He's going to meme the court

VomKriege

• Do the moron
He's going to meme the court

I don't know what NZ law says on the matter of audiovisual reporting in the court room but by all means let him bury himself.
ὕβρις

agrajag

I read about one, she had depression due to survivor's guilt. Just reading about the other one now. This is incredibly sad.

Propagandhim

These poor fucking kids, man.  Awful shit.

team filler

• filler
  • filler