Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 601949 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #780 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:31 PM »
Ignoring for the moment that Steve King's whole thing has been pretty obvious for a long time, I think that's actually pretty good of him to openly update an article from 2017 like that. Most of the Wank Dad would just memory hole it completely or dig in more. Shapiro sometimes seems like he's trying to be better than he has to be.

agrajag

« Reply #781 on: January 11, 2019, 09:32:24 PM »
Shapiro sometimes seems like he's trying to be better than he has to be.

:iface

benjipwns

« Reply #782 on: January 11, 2019, 09:50:51 PM »
I mean in that he actually does journalistic like things like this or firing really bad writers, he is often actually nice to people dunking on him on twitter and will play along, he will go on YouTube channels to poke fun at himself and the "this is epic" meme, is willing to debate/appear on non-positive-only sites, agreed with Sandy on the debate thing others were trying to start but said he was still open to a debate on her terms, etc.

Compare that to the rest of the Wank Dad and the conservative media in general who are completely humorless and don't even feign integrity. (edit: I don't think he's totally reversed his Trump position either like Tucker did) He clearly doesn't have to do these things and keep his fans. Hell, compare to a "comedian" in Steven Crowder and it seems like Shapiro is massively more comfortable with it all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:55:27 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #783 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »
I mean in that he actually does journalistic like things like this or firing really bad writers, he is often actually nice to people dunking on him on twitter and will play along, he will go on YouTube channels to poke fun at himself and the "this is epic" meme, is willing to debate/appear on non-positive-only sites, agreed with Sandy on the debate thing others were trying to start but said he was still open to a debate on her terms, etc.

Compare that to the rest of the Wank Dad and the conservative media in general who are completely humorless and don't even feign integrity. He clearly doesn't have to do these things and keep his fans. Hell, compare to a "comedian" in Steven Crowder and it seems like Shapiro is massively more comfortable with it all.
wow why don't u marry him or bump ur love letter thread

benjipwns

« Reply #784 on: January 11, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »
basically what i'm saying is I MADE A GLORIOUS INTELLECTUAL BEN SHAPIRO THREAD ALREADY, DON'T HIDE HIS GLORY IN HERE :maf :maf :maf :maf

we won't be able to see him if all the rest of the Wank Dad's stand up front

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #785 on: January 11, 2019, 10:16:47 PM »
Shapiro very clearly wants to be the next in the Buckley/Safire/Will line of big time conservative public intellectuals, and probably thought that he would already be at that point by now.

Probably kills him inside that he has to keep shilling brain pills and crypto currency instead of taking the spot on the ideas festival circuit that is rightfully his.

benjipwns

« Reply #786 on: January 11, 2019, 10:33:07 PM »
Last time I saw a clip of him on a Fox show, maybe Tucker, you could see that doing a remote, while the other guest was in studio, was offensive to him. :lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #787 on: January 11, 2019, 10:49:56 PM »
On a similar note, I had the problematic thought that if the libertarian gun girl would be a much bigger deal than she is if she were actually hot.

agrajag

« Reply #788 on: January 14, 2019, 10:46:06 PM »
You gotta love how the entire Rubin Report subreddit is nothing but people dunking on Dave Rubin. Take a look

https://www.reddit.com/r/daverubin/

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
QED

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #790 on: January 17, 2019, 10:36:18 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Yo pretty sure JPs gammy molested him, seems to make sense

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #791 on: January 18, 2019, 02:50:46 PM »
Shapiro reminds us that he's unfortunately not dead yet.
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1086301380334272512
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #792 on: January 19, 2019, 08:20:07 AM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #793 on: January 19, 2019, 09:24:25 AM »
I expected a voiceover at the end of the first video telling me to donate for Poland.

Besides that, monoculture in Poland? Danzig or Breslau are just weird sounding Polish names. Lithuania? Never heard of it.

BisMarckie

« Reply #794 on: January 19, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
This guy has clearly no idea about Poland. Communist architecture being left up to remid the people of the horrors of communism? No Pole worth his salt would tear down a perfectly functional building just to send some ideological message. :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #795 on: January 19, 2019, 09:40:13 AM »
the music and the constantly swaying camera work just fucking kills me, he's not even in the frame for like twenty seconds at one point :dead

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #796 on: January 19, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #797 on: January 28, 2019, 02:18:42 PM »

Mandark

• Icon

benjipwns

« Reply #799 on: January 28, 2019, 02:36:15 PM »
Peterson promoted this video against him:
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1089250376098947072

While the CBC apparently aired this documentary:

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #800 on: January 28, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
did jordan peterson do anything in 2018 at all besides hanging out with dave rubin
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #801 on: January 28, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
did jordan peterson do anything in 2018 at all besides hanging out with dave rubin

:gurl :ufup

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #802 on: January 28, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
A Discord I started posting in has a dedicated channel for shit posting but it's basically one for politics and there are some genuine Daddy P fans in it. They also have massive self own health issues like alcohol-induced gout under the age of 40.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #803 on: January 28, 2019, 03:07:09 PM »
did jordan peterson do anything

fixed
©ZH

benjipwns

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #805 on: January 28, 2019, 04:39:57 PM »
Idk man, Jesus was about far left as can be

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #807 on: January 28, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
Guys I've now started to ponder the possibility that being "anti-identity politics" might sometimes carry some unstated beliefs or attitudes.

BisMarckie

« Reply #808 on: January 28, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
When I was a kid, I believed we would have jet packs and vacations to Mars by now

I will never forgive those who destroyed this dream

:stahp

benjipwns

« Reply #809 on: January 28, 2019, 04:56:12 PM »
like the only explanation i can come up with is that he accidentally linked the wrong news story or something

benjipwns

« Reply #810 on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »
Guys I've now started to ponder the possibility that being "anti-identity politics" might sometimes carry some unstated beliefs or attitudes.
Hey Ross, can you show me on the Internet where you have posted this about someone who is NOT white?

Or have you just been programmed to hate whites, and know that no white is going to try and destroy your life for abusing an icon?

Whites are safe to attack.

Won’t last though.

BisMarckie

« Reply #811 on: January 28, 2019, 05:00:52 PM »
like the only explanation i can come up with is that he accidentally linked the wrong news story or something

Maybe he was trying to link the news story in which Poland went on a mission to the sun - at night. :rimshot

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #812 on: January 28, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »
Stefan getting into the analytics hustle:

https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/961011649300914177

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #814 on: January 28, 2019, 05:44:49 PM »
"[E]xposure to modernity" is doing some heavy lifting in that tweet.

edit: Also, Molyneux's reasoning there is basically the same as super-respectable Andrew Sullivan's:

https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/979808130480697344

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #815 on: January 28, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »
holy shit
didn’t know you could name spoilers
simply amazing
thx benji
[close]
[close]
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #816 on: January 28, 2019, 07:16:43 PM »
I knew something was up with that guy when I was playing Black & White.
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #817 on: January 28, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »
I knew something was up with that guy when I was playing Black & White.

Reworking this joke over and over is now a bore meme

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #818 on: January 28, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »
That’s because it was after mine, fool

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #819 on: January 28, 2019, 08:05:20 PM »
Listen, it’s not Black & White

OH THATS PETER NVM

Really puts a different perspective on the game Black and White.

How the mighty have fallen, throwing out my Fable body pillow.

I was gonna do a post collecting them all but turns out people around here talk about black and white all the time
and
Peters
[close]

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #820 on: January 28, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
I watch a lot of pimple popping videos, and my recommendations are a mess

Kara

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #822 on: January 29, 2019, 09:17:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/nfergus/status/1089593617675628545

Reminds me of something I was just reading about how state legislators in the 18th and 19th centuries were constantly beating the shit out of each other. But I'm sure they were doing in a rational, clear-headed manner.

BisMarckie

« Reply #823 on: January 29, 2019, 09:18:51 PM »
Don't need productive political discourse when you're in a monarchy. :ufup

Kara

« Reply #824 on: January 30, 2019, 02:20:14 AM »
Niall's dork-ass is here in the United $nake$.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #825 on: January 30, 2019, 02:41:55 AM »
He really is a proto-IDW figure, isn't he. A historian who got on the map by saying things amenable to reactionary white people ("actually the British empire was good"), then parlayed that into being a "public intellectual" which really means an orthodox conservative pundit with one foot still in academia.

Kara

« Reply #826 on: January 30, 2019, 03:03:07 AM »
iirc he wrote a fair history about the Rothschilds, which is sort of an outlier for an Intellectual Dark Web guy / gal / nonbinary web spinner, but I also think that was before he went way out there with his nonsense. The Niall of today is definitely a Billy Beane of the conservative intellectual hustle: right ballpark (no pun intended), wrong organization.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #827 on: January 30, 2019, 03:16:13 AM »
I've heard other people who know more than me say his early stuff, both academic and popular history, is good.

Reminds me that I thought From Beirut To Jerusalem by Tom Friedman was good when I read it. That was over 15 years ago so I don't know how much to trust my opinion from then, but he seemed like a completely different person from the columnist who was hearing from taxi drivers about how great US military interventions were.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #828 on: January 30, 2019, 12:32:07 PM »
I've heard other people who know more than me say his early stuff, both academic and popular history, is good.
even this is overstating it. There’s one well received monograph written for a scholarly audience (his first publication) and one well received book written for a popular audience (his second, and the one on the rothschilds).

Everything else is varying levels of agitprop and/or fire-stoking hot takes.

benjipwns

« Reply #829 on: January 30, 2019, 02:24:41 PM »
It's fair to say if you've heard of a historian that's usually the case. Most historians write one, two significant books in their life, if they write more it's almost always on the same topic over and over again. Their articles are always on the same topics. Ferguson appears to have actually hit these standards before he shifted to popular history.

This is actually why many of these guys are often so convincingly good, they've done the real work once in their life, so they can pretty well fake it on multiple subjects. You can see it compared to someone like (since he's on this page and I don't have to search for a better name) Molyneux who is essentially a complete amateur despite having a grad school desk in the university library. But generally if you "know" of a historian and they write lots of books, regularly, on many different topics*, they've basically "left" academia with their works, even if they keep their "day job" in academia. This has actually become increasingly common in history because of its different publishing standards. The best way to make money and keep your own interest for decades is to establish in academia and then just publish outside it.

Also, most historians in academia will focus on one area and even though they will teach lots of areas because they're "best at the school" they'll rarely actually present works outside of their specific fields. Ferguson for example appears to have his root expertise in British foreign policy history around 1914 and specifically British economic history regarding the turn of the century. He then extrapolates above that into general economic history and British history and then above that to his general popular histories about the West or whatever. He would, had he remained purely in academia have continued to only write about the British foreign policy decision making in 1914 and British economic histories of different types around that early 20th century period, with some backwards into the Gilded Age stuff to build the history. Like his Rothchilds book goes backwards to 1849 since that's when the family starts becoming relevant. He would teach general British history and economic history courses. He may teach history courses on other topics because often these can be entirely interest based but he would never for example publish the Kissinger or any of his American history books, it is so far outside of his expertise.

That's not to say that people can't switch focuses in history or even produce such a book, but it's highly unlikely as it would require simply too much work to shift appropriately. If anything you would expect him to partner with someone who "knows" Kissinger to approach British foreign policy for World War I either from a Kissingerist POV or how it is reflected in Kissinger's foreign policy. To write a two-part biography of the guy though off his notes? Never.

To be clear, I actually don't have a problem with popular history. Just wanted to build off what jake said.

*David McCullough, Doris Kearns Goodwin, etc.

benjipwns

« Reply #830 on: January 30, 2019, 02:34:39 PM »
History is an interesting field actually because popular histories are the foundation of it more than academic histories are, academic history is a relatively new phenomenon. It's a field that has always leaned more towards everyone fights over the history versus true peer review. History journals have always struggled with this because a history that upends everything can be both absolutely correct and also trashed entirely by the field because of the threat it represents. It's not uncommon that certain views of history literally have to die off before other views become standard. I mentioned the "Dark Ages" mythology in the dumpster thread, but that was an example where every new piece of research discovered was tearing it even more apart, but many of the historian gatekeepers were desperately wedded to it.

The expansion of the world over the last few decades has really helped in this, because for a long time a few guys in the UK and in the Ivy League could control entire subfields simply because you had to go through them for translations. (Also common was stuff like certain subfields tied to French colonies were essentially controlled via translations into French first.)

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #831 on: January 30, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »
Idk, Mary Beard is probably a comparable case in terms of celebrity and she still makes good ‘pop-history’ (which you’re right that there’s nothing wrong with), without being, you know, a crank. Ferguson writes his PhD*, publishes an expanded version of his PhD through an academic press, and then immediately starts the Public Intellectual™ circuit.

Also, totally, academic specialization is a real thing, and it gets lamented about constantly. But I can picture a lot of historians, some of whom I took classes from, who contributed more than just a couple books/articles to their field, worked mid-career to acquire competency in a related field, and kept tabs on stuff happening in the discipline that wouldn’t even be incorporated into their work. Like, some of those people are really fucking studious; and what legit struck me was how high a volume those studious people seemed to represent the discipline. But also obviously there are people who only kinda give a shit. And none of the above elides the fact that academia is, at bottom, horseshit.

Or maybe you were only talking about people who wanted to pivot from university to the real world. In which case I’m just talking to myself here.

*on Hamburg during German inflation, actually, had no idea

History is an interesting field actually because popular histories are the foundation of it more than academic histories are, academic history is a relatively new phenomenon. It's a field that has always leaned more towards everyone fights over the history versus true peer review.
wait, what?

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #832 on: January 30, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »
Also, books are way more important in history than like any other field I fell into. Like, to a really weird degree.

benjipwns

« Reply #833 on: January 30, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »
I meant that most historians really only write one or two BIG books in terms of they write it for many years and it's dense, like a career capstone. They aren't dashing off 400 page works every other year like the popular historians do. Obviously I'm stereotyping but usually most of their other contributions will be like chapters more than constant books.

Those ones who make the leap are who will usually do it with their early career book. A lot of historians will like Ferguson do that same dissertation update, then work on something to jump into the field and then try to make their definitive work. Because they're working on these for so long they don't have the opportunity to be putting stuff out constantly. In other disciplines you'll see people who have their names on ten papers a year even if they probably only contributed to one. History, it's not unusual to see multi-year gaps on a CV, but each time it's a full fledged book.

Yeah, books are really the main thing in the field still. To compare to poli sci for example, it's all articles, you'll get books that are really just articles fleshed out more and people will ignore the books and just cite the articles still. Many times in history if you find an article the person likely has written a book on it, or the article has become a chapter in a book, so the articles rarely are cited as much.

What I mean with the academic history being new thing is that the major historians for a long time were not trained in the university or similar to be historians they were trained in something else and became historians on their own. The historiography of history only goes back to the 19th century really. I know you can say that for many of the social sciences but history has huge gaps in its own historiography that you don't see in many of the others. It was never really set up in the university and established in the academic manners as quickly as they were. It often would get established at universities and then cut or merged into another department. For a long time there were broader "social studies" departments that history only recently (by this I mean, like the 1970s or so) has been spun out of, even at some major universities that are renowned for their history departments now.

benjipwns

« Reply #834 on: January 30, 2019, 05:04:18 PM »
One other thing you often see on History CV's but not others. Speeches. Historians still give speeches rather than "Presentations" even though they'll often be basically the same thing when it comes down to it. :lol

edit: actually one other one other thing is that the U.S. does not dominate History like other fields, the UK, Germany, etc. are all major major players in it still, so a lot of their more unique conventions are still in the field. Plus we get a lot of historians who are trained overseas and then come here to teach (where else to get a great German-reading historian than Germany?), which is not at least from my experience the case in other fields, you come here and get trained and then stay here or go back home.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:11:05 PM by benjipwns »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #835 on: January 30, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
Every other social science/humanities department I’ve been around has been journal based. In philosophy you try to get your article pushed through the referee process for whichever niche you’re working in like phil of mind, history of phil, whatever and do that until you hopefully get tenure and then hopefully die. Books are only ever published well into your career and 90% of the time they’re just collections of papers you’ve published/delivered individually elsewhere; sometimes editing goes in to making it less disjointed but that usually just makes it more convoluted.

Also, on topic, apparently Molyneux was involved in some next level self-ownage.

benjipwns

« Reply #836 on: January 30, 2019, 05:21:36 PM »
History journals can be kinda weird, some of them are just like previews of books. Like the person is almost done with the book, so they'll write up a ten page article for a journal which is giving you a taste of what's coming.

That reminds me, what I should have mentioned about the fights. Book reviews are where they have fights. Someone will review your book, then you have to respond to their review, then they respond until the journal cuts it off. I know this is done in other fields, but like you mentioned books really matter in history, so the book reviews and responses will take up a lot of pages of the journals. In some poli sci journals the book reviews are pretty useless and I don't even know why they do them.

Some of the book review fights are even in people's Wikipedia entries.

edit: I think the highest level I saw was like a twelfth response to a review, and it had pulled in like four other people by that point and dude was responding to all of them. Journal finally cut if off because it had been like a year and a half. :lol

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #838 on: January 30, 2019, 05:29:22 PM »
dear god, his timeline for this week is just fighting with random people on twitter like this

https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/1090437498885550080

https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/1090585789363294209

benjipwns

« Reply #839 on: January 30, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »