Author Topic: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo  (Read 617043 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Wank Dad 2: Electric Wankaloo
« Reply #4980 on: June 28, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
I wonder if that young kid in Pakistan understood Temple of Doom in the same way. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4982 on: June 28, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
lol, wokeism. it's just a continuation of the same thing (pc culture) conservatives and culture critics (zizek et al) have been complaining about for decades.

There was a bunch of cultural angst about campus PC culture and about sexual harassment allegations "going too far" in the 90's. It's crazy how much of the IDW/PragerU just recycled that same stuff. The 90's even had people trying to recapture masculinity through Jungian mythopoetic analysis.

Nothing new under the Sun.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #4983 on: June 28, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »
all the cultural marxism conspiracy tropes originated in 90s american paleoconservatism. most of the standard lines of attack got hashed out during the first few years of the culture wars and everything’s been iterations on those ever since.

the whinging about ‘wokeism’ is the latest iteration of a charge of suspicion that what really animates leftward moralization is self-regard, that altruism is actually just a desire to feel self-important. ‘virtue signaling’ occupies the same rhetorical space. this is what pretty much every episode of south park trades in: a priori belief in everyone else being as selfish as you are, and everyone's altruism getting revealed as narcissism. and repose in being clear-headed and mature enough to recognize all this

Oblivion

« Reply #4984 on: June 28, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
the idea of cultural marxism is even older than that:

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #4985 on: June 28, 2020, 08:41:57 PM »
sure, thinking that commies are behind every social movement of the 20th century isnt new, i was talking about thinking that they’re behind the entertainment industry to make us all gayer, specifically

Oblivion

« Reply #4986 on: June 28, 2020, 09:03:58 PM »
i've recently been re-watching avatar: the last airbender, and there's this episode where katara wants to learn water bending from a master, but the master refuses to teach her because his customs don't allow women to be water bending warriors. eventually he relents, and katara not only proves to be a capable water bender, but has advanced further and faster than any of his male students.

this episode was aired all the way back in 2005. the trope of a girl fighting sexism by doing something only boys could do wasn't new even then, and i'd been familiar with it on almost every cartoon or live action kids show growing up. by that point, such a thing was so uncontroversial that it was unremarkable. i've always been pretty socially liberal, but this was at a time before i ever paid attention to politics. i just thought it was a nice, positive, uplifting message for the girls watching the show and didn't think much of it at the time or since. and i'm sure lots of people agreed since i never encountered any backlash toward it.

but re-watching it now, i can only imagine the absolute shitstorm that would arise from the anti-PC/gamergate/IDW/chud crowd if it was aired today. it sucks to realize that as time went on, we've actually somehow regressed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:09:43 PM by Oblivion »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #4987 on: June 28, 2020, 09:12:46 PM »
Glenn must be listening to Red Scare or something these days

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1277398360970969088

Having avoided all but a couple screengrabs of White Fragility I am only now discovering it's written by a white person and am undergoing a minor :ohhh

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4988 on: June 28, 2020, 11:58:27 PM »
Glenn must be listening to Red Scare or something these days

Given how he wrote about immigration on his old blog and the way the Intercept became a hub of left-adjacent sjw-skepticism (Fang, Jilani, Gray), not the most surprising trajectory.

Also sure there's a ton of leftover bitterness from the 2016 primaries (or more specifically the batshit Twitter culture that developed around it).

Oblivion

« Reply #4989 on: June 29, 2020, 12:15:12 AM »
yeah i was actually just about to post that.

it's only a matter of time before he starts retweeting that aimee terese chick as well

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4990 on: June 29, 2020, 12:43:09 AM »
i've recently been re-watching avatar: the last airbender, and there's this episode where katara wants to learn water bending from a master, but the master refuses to teach her because his customs don't allow women to be water bending warriors. eventually he relents, and katara not only proves to be a capable water bender, but has advanced further and faster than any of his male students.

this episode was aired all the way back in 2005. the trope of a girl fighting sexism by doing something only boys could do wasn't new even then, and i'd been familiar with it on almost every cartoon or live action kids show growing up. by that point, such a thing was so uncontroversial that it was unremarkable. i've always been pretty socially liberal, but this was at a time before i ever paid attention to politics. i just thought it was a nice, positive, uplifting message for the girls watching the show and didn't think much of it at the time or since. and i'm sure lots of people agreed since i never encountered any backlash toward it.

but re-watching it now, i can only imagine the absolute shitstorm that would arise from the anti-PC/gamergate/IDW/chud crowd if it was aired today. it sucks to realize that as time went on, we've actually somehow regressed.

Nerds universally agreed that X-Men was a big metaphor for the civil rights struggle (including the pretty inaccurate Dr. X/MLK vs. Magneto/Malcolm X bit) and would frequently hold that up as an argument for the genre being taken seriously!

Now I'm imagining dorks getting apoplectic at Eowyn saying "I am no man."

Oblivion

« Reply #4991 on: June 29, 2020, 01:29:38 AM »

Nerds universally agreed that X-Men was a big metaphor for the civil rights struggle (including the pretty inaccurate Dr. X/MLK vs. Magneto/Malcolm X bit) and would frequently hold that up as an argument for the genre being taken seriously!

Now I'm imagining dorks getting apoplectic at Eowyn saying "I am no man."

the x-men thing is particularly great because it's always funny to see them struggle explaining why metaphors involving civil rights was okay when they did back in the 60s, but not okay and completely different when comics try the same thing  in the present  :brain

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4992 on: June 29, 2020, 02:52:57 AM »

I was listening to RLM yesterday and there's a point they made a couple of times that some films that could potentially trigger those sort of conversations did not. I don't want to brush it all off as a "extremely online" phenomenon but the CULTURE WAR is being fought on what is a pretty narrow front and I am hopeful that we're actually making progress overall even if the kneejerks have gotten a lot more violent. Counterpoint is Trump or the recent developments in some Central European countries where it translates into real despicable policies, sadly, so it's not all just rearguard action we could just ignore. But there's definitely a fixation on what is both perceived as popular AND where demographics are susceptible to those arguments or to the same style of rhetorical vindictiveness. That's why console warriors can shift to culture warriors easily, perhaps, because no matter the set of arguments it's really the interaction mode &style of arguing they crave.

all the cultural marxism conspiracy tropes originated in 90s american paleoconservatism. most of the standard lines of attack got hashed out during the first few years of the culture wars and everything’s been iterations on those ever since.

the whinging about ‘wokeism’ is the latest iteration of a charge of suspicion that what really animates leftward moralization is self-regard, that altruism is actually just a desire to feel self-important. ‘virtue signaling’ occupies the same rhetorical space. this is what pretty much every episode of south park trades in: a priori belief in everyone else being as selfish as you are, and everyone's altruism getting revealed as narcissism. and repose in being clear-headed and mature enough to recognize all this

I like this and it is concise. But I'd say, as I recognize myself in some of it ("Social Justice Skeptic" I am though as a couple of others here) that it's a common set of views if you're an individualist and a materialist, I'd reckon. Everything is a spectrum and a question of degrees, probably... I think the mistake is thinking maturity and clear headedness ends there when it's really just the starting point.
ὕβρις

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #4993 on: June 29, 2020, 04:34:50 AM »
I like this and it is concise. But I'd say, as I recognize myself in some of it ("Social Justice Skeptic" I am though as a couple of others here) that it's a common set of views if you're an individualist and a materialist, I'd reckon. Everything is a spectrum and a question of degrees, probably... I think the mistake is thinking maturity and clear headedness ends there when it's really just the starting point.
but the repose just is the point for the south park centrist. they arent interested in weighing evidence or argument, they’re trying to find a way out of (really: above) partisan cut and thrust. they want smug withdrawal above the mess of political contestation, and they purchase that by either appealing to some nebulous common sense and/or deflating the bite of the moralizer by exposing the psychological makeup of the moralizer as merely self-regarding.

but this dollar store cynicism’s ‘maturity’ is just as underthought and naive as the straw positions it’s trying to pillory. we dont have any more reason to think, or at least we arent ever given any by the centrist/reactionary, that people are reducibly selfish than that altruism is possible*. it ends up being a (excuse the expression) moral-stance argument. an argument whose persuasive force lies not in its demonstration -viz. its validity or its correspondence with reality- but in the kind of moral stance it necessarily implies for its adherent. the south park centrist might just be attracted to the idea of them living in a world that’s disinterested or unforgiving (because then they’d get to self-aggrandize wrt their own station/accomplishments and they’d get to posture as the adults in the room towards the people who don’t think the world’s disinterested or unforgiving), and that’s where the reductive cynicism argument finds traction.

*in practice, the reactionary is never actually consistent in applying this principle; for them, there’s always a select group of people who manage to be genuinely altruistic, and they just so happen to be the people the reactionary identifies with

re: social justice skepticism, whomst amongst us cant admit that the :social crowd could or has been guilty of excesses? the line to hold here would be to not see these excesses, whatever their frequency or importance, as giving the lie to the claims of injustice or to the capacity to rectify those injustices. because that’s what the south park centrist and reactionary do, and that’s what makes them clowns.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4994 on: June 29, 2020, 01:20:48 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #4996 on: June 29, 2020, 02:32:40 PM »
[post]
i need to stop posting at 1 in the morning :snoop

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4997 on: June 29, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »
[post]
i need to stop posting at 1 in the morning :snoop
Looking at those likes, I would say you should post more at 1 in the morning.
🤴

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #4998 on: June 29, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/ClipsDave/status/1277306342575796224

I guess Dave isn't a classical liberal anymore.

benjipwns

« Reply #4999 on: June 29, 2020, 03:22:31 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5000 on: June 29, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
Please review.

10/10
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5001 on: June 29, 2020, 03:59:01 PM »
Reddit banned a whole bunch of things today, including TD, which was mostly dead. 

Oblivion

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #5003 on: June 29, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »
lmao, they banned chapo too :dead

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #5004 on: June 29, 2020, 04:23:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1277653212053585923

“He didn’t watch the video for long enough”

Bruh it’s literally the first 9 seconds of the video
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:27:08 PM by EightBitNate »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5005 on: June 29, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
Reddit banned a whole bunch of things today, including TD, which was mostly dead.
I lost chapo and cumtown on the same day... now all I've got is r/aww, forbiddensnacks, and cursedimages
每天生气

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5006 on: June 29, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »
all on the same day filler got banned on the bore :stahp
(ice)

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5007 on: June 29, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »
Throwback:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

benjipwns

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5010 on: June 29, 2020, 05:32:41 PM »
What do these nerds even get out of trying to defend Trump on shit like this? Dude has been quoting George Wallace and Walter Headley, talking up heritage, and being more concerned with Confederate monuments than police assaulting and killing people all over the country for the past month.

I think they're scared shitless of their own customer base.

Edit : Also very charitable to think Shapiro or his kind of wank dad have real moral issues with everything you mention.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:56:08 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5011 on: June 29, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
No one really knows who they are at this point so I guess they all think their audience is the 'silent majority'  :yeshrug
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5012 on: June 29, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
Are hardcore Trumpers really the Ben Shapiro audience

I don't know about "hardcore" but at this point it's clear Trumpism has seeped into large parts or most of the base. There's nothing to gain criticizing Trump or your side in such a rigid and antagonist bi-partisan system and it's not like they really disagree with him, I think. Shapiro and most wank dads made their bread and butter of being more radical and Trump is all the shit they wanted embodied.

I'm sure they only have contempt for him and they hate that it turned out they're the bottoms in that relationship but they're not going to score well with the audience by bringing up their supposed intellectual superiority.
ὕβρις

Oblivion

« Reply #5013 on: June 29, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »
benny made a name for himself when he left breitbart as the 'principled conservative who sometimes criticizes trump". this was, as you can imagine, very short lived, and given that trump has been doing a fantastic job giving conservatives goodies (mainly in the courts), ben has felt less of a need to criticize him. besides, his biggest problem with trump was mainly the way he talks. there was nothing substantive in his disagreements.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5014 on: June 29, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »
Plus 2015/16 was when the cartoon frog nazis were running wild on Twitter. So he could be someone who held the line against Trump and the alt-right. He pivoted to anti-anti-Trump AFAICT.

Defending a white person from accusations of racism (unless it's a liberal who you're hoisting by their own petard) is sine qua non for being a pundit in good standing with rightwing American audiences.

BisMarckie

« Reply #5015 on: June 29, 2020, 07:19:34 PM »
all on the same day filler got banned on the bore :stahp

What the hell happened?

#justiceforfiller  :maf

benjipwns

« Reply #5016 on: June 29, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »
I demand a statement, the post has been up for three hours now and I'm starting to get comfortable assigning blame.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5019 on: June 29, 2020, 08:18:43 PM »
I demand a statement, the post has been up for three hours now and I'm starting to get comfortable assigning blame.
I am more shadow-banned today than I ever have been. Typically I get over 50,000 likes per post. Today I am averaging 12,000.

With almost 2000 members, that should be statistically impossible.

Oblivion

« Reply #5021 on: June 29, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
i do have a question: RE: the anti-PC stuff

how exactly the was the anti-PC movement in the 90s?i didn't pay much attention to it back in the day since i was young and not into politics, but all i can think of that immediately pops up is stuff like married with children, howard stern and uh...i guess bill maher's Politically Incorrect show. was it as bad as it is now?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5022 on: June 29, 2020, 10:29:29 PM »
Married With Children and Howard Stern fit into a certain sort of dirtbag ethos that had a moment in the 90's and which created a lot of their own backlash and angst (a lot of people were genuinely worried by Beavis and Butthead, the Simpsons, Mortal Kombat, etc).

When I mentioned the 90's anti-PC trend I mean more in a sort of PragerU way, ie backlash against feminist or multicultural discourse that had "gone too far," showed that young people were oversensitive, infringed on "free speech" etc. I think the 90's is when political correctness really gained traction as a term, and was typically used in a derogatory way. So you got Maher's "Politically Incorrect," the movie PCU, Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, etc. The New Republic ran a whole issue on campus culture in the early 90's. I don't know if they used the term PC in the headline but it was about a lot of the same stuff Charlie Kirk's yelling about currently.

There was also a real sentiment that accusations of sexual harassment had gotten out of hand, after only a very few big public cases (Clarence Thomas and Bob Packwood off the top of my head). In fiction there were several examples where fake harassment charges are central to the plot: Disclosure by Michael Chrichton, Oleanna by David Mamet, The Human Stain by Philip Roth. Throw in Kevin Spacey at the start of American Beauty (in that case it's his way of striking back at his capitalist masters) and the Homer Badman episode too.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5023 on: June 29, 2020, 10:33:24 PM »

Look at this shit!

neoliberalism.jpg

Oblivion

« Reply #5024 on: June 29, 2020, 10:41:12 PM »
dinesh d'souza was part of The New Republic?  :brazilcry

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5025 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:12 PM »
The New Republic back then was crypto-fascist like how people call something like Quillette these days.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5026 on: June 29, 2020, 11:03:50 PM »
The gag from the 80's and 90's was "even the liberal New Republic..." because it would reliably take "contrarian" centrist positions and publish "serious" conservatives like Charles Krauthammer.

Look at the listed authors, though. They run a cover with "RACE ON CAMPUS" and a drawing of a black vs. white arm wrestling contest, and is even one of the writers they listed black? Imagine pulling that now and the shitstorm they'd deal with.

Bonus: Besides DeSouza, who'd publish "The End of Racism" in 1995, Jim Sleeper would publish "Liberal Racism" in 1997.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #5027 on: June 29, 2020, 11:11:42 PM »
the culture wars were opened up with a cantankerous screed about kids these days being dangerously pluralistic and permissive and how college campuses are part of the problem, no?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5028 on: June 29, 2020, 11:13:57 PM »
God and Man at Yale or...?

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #5029 on: June 29, 2020, 11:15:19 PM »
Closing of the American Mind

but now that you mention it :larry

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5030 on: June 29, 2020, 11:18:02 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5031 on: June 29, 2020, 11:20:26 PM »
Fukuyama also had some thoughts on "political correctness" in his book on biotechnologies. That's the late nineties IIRC.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5032 on: June 30, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:59:19 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5036 on: June 30, 2020, 03:32:39 PM »
but it was the most philosophically important hour in the history of Twitch (and mankind)
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Oblivion

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5039 on: June 30, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1277997089046355968

It's Alex Jones current schtick too ("We can't breathe" is his latest stunt) up to saying masks actually are more dangerous and that some guy measured dangerous level of CO2 within a coupl of minutes.
Nevermind that health professionals and a variety of other professions use masks for longer periods of times even before the pandemic and never passed out
ὕβρις