Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1784673 times)

Taco Bell Tower

• Your likes are brought to you by YUM! Brands
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Salty Crackers
« Reply #8820 on: November 30, 2021, 09:04:57 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ever-hear-of-a-cock-meat-sandwich.521811/#post-77925615
You literally just said "2008 was a long time ago". So, no, not everyone is going to know what this is/was. But even if they did, that's besides the point, it was homophobic then and it's homophobic now. Not to mention a bunch of other shitty things about it too. And at the very least you should let people know you're posting a "comedy" scene with slurs in it. Some people don't want to hear that shit.
:rethread

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8821 on: November 30, 2021, 09:08:53 PM »
For a forum willing to believe even the most flimsy Twitter accusations of sexual assault, I'm surprised they aren't already lynching this poor wrongly incarcerated black man.

I thought we had to "believe all women" and even questioning basic inconsistencies was akin to forcing the victim to literally relive their rape?
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8822 on: November 30, 2021, 09:09:47 PM »
For immediate release

A staggering 53% of writers in the videogames industry have either experienced or witnessed workplace bullying with almost half (48%) experiencing burn-out or stress related illness, according to a survey of over 800 videogame workers and members of the Writers’ Guild of Great Britain (WGGB), the trade union representing game writers in the UK.

The union is also dealing with an increasing number of game writing members seeking legal representation, advice and support in an industry which has an entrenched reputation for opposing trade union recognition and for allowing bullying, harassment and discrimination, including sexual predation and misogyny, to flourish.

WGGB recently represented a number of members employed in the narrative team at Fusebox Games, where dozens of staff were told they faced losing their jobs, weeks after raising concerns about content in a game. One WGGB member said: "I have never worked in an environment where such passionate, dedicated staff were so mistreated. I filed one of many HR complaints against senior-level management and my contract was immediately terminated in response without any form of resolution or investigation."

Other companies have garnered attention in an industry blighted by the Gamergate movement, which first surfaced in 2014, years ahead of #MeToo. Ubisoft and Riot Games are some of the organisations to have faced scrutiny, while most recently legal action was launched against US-based Activision Blizzard, makers of Candy Crush, Overwatch and Call of Duty, following allegations that female employees were victims of discrimination in terms of unequal pay, sexual harassment, bullying and retaliation.

To establish best practice and encourage fair, productive and safe workplaces for those involved in the creation of interactive narrative in the videogames industry, WGGB is today launching a new publication, Writing for videogames: a guide for game writers and those who work with them.

The 29-page guide also serves as a handbook for games writers, both emerging and established, and for those who employ them. It provides a blueprint for the role of the game writer, setting suggested pay bands, and covering wide-ranging topics including contracts, agents and outsourcing companies, scripts, royalties and residuals, credits, awards, non-disclosure agreements and much more.

As part of the publication launch WGGB is engaging in outreach with videogames companies in the UK, to encourage them to recognise trade unions in their workplace or work constructively with WGGB, which can provide support and advice on all employment aspects, including equality and diversity, mental health, bullying and harassment policies and negotiations.

WGGB General Secretary Ellie Peers said: “A unionised industry is a safe industry and a fair industry, and we hope that our new guidelines will not just set best practice in terms of pay and conditions for game writers, but also act as a rallying call to videogames companies to work with us, to fall back on our expertise as a trade union with a long history of championing equality and diversity, standing against bullying and harassment, protecting workers and safeguarding their rights.”

WGGB Videogames Co-Chair Samantha Webb, who is a working game writer and narrative designer, said:

"Although the results from the survey are terrible, sadly I don't think it will be a great surprise to a lot of game industry professionals. In releasing our new guidelines, we hope to give game writers more support and information, as well as advice on how to protect themselves and what they can do in cases of abusive or toxic workplaces.

“While we often hear stories of bad practice and mistreatment of employees, it's worth noting that there are lots of studios doing really fantastic work to support and protect their game writers. We hope studios like these continue to flourish in our industry."

Ends

Notes to editors

Writing for videogames: a guide for game writers and those who work with them can be downloaded from www.writersguild.org.uk/gameswriters

Photos of WGGB General Secretary Ellie Peers and WGGB Videogames Co-Chair Samantha Webb available on request

The Writers’ Guild of Great Britain (WGGB) is a trade union representing writers for TV, film, theatre, radio, books, comedy, poetry, animation and videogames. It negotiates national agreements on pay and conditions with key industry bodies, including BBC, ITV and Pact; the Royal Court, National Theatre and Royal Shakespeare Company. It campaigns and lobbies on behalf of writers and offers a wide range of benefits to its members.

Twitter: @TheWritersGuild

Facebook: www.facebook.com/thewritersguild 

For further information contact Sarah Woodley, Communications Manager, Writers’ Guild of Great Britain. Email sarah@writersguild.org.uk
Somebody should make a ResetERA.com thread so they can pat themselves on the back for not being part of this 53%. And also so they know that Fusebox Games is cancelled and to harass them.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #8823 on: November 30, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
Photos of WGGB General Secretary Ellie Peers and WGGB Videogames Co-Chair Samantha Webb available on request

Not sure but it seems inappropriate to be hawking nudes in an article about sexual harassment

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #8824 on: November 30, 2021, 09:25:54 PM »
Ree continues to be weird as fuck about everything, even scam calls -

Can you try something for me? The next time you get a scam call, take the call then immediately hang up. Next: immediately call them back. When they pick up, hang up. Wait five minutes. Call them again, then when they pick up, hang up.

Keep doing this THE ENTIRE DAY. And I do mean literally the entire day. Do it every hour or something. Do it for a week even. Fucking haunt them.

I want to know if they'll eventually block your number and never think about calling you ever again.

Imagine having so little going on in your life that you had the time to do this shite. What a luxury.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/holy-crap-i-am-getting-10-scam-calls-a-day-its-never-been-this-bad-before-how-do-i-make-this-stop.521730/#post-77913888

imagine not realizing it's all automated and how you have less than zero chance of doing anything to affect these callers in any way
Uncle

BadAss2961

« Reply #8826 on: November 30, 2021, 09:42:50 PM »
Ironically after reading some actual reporting on the case, it has started to sound to me more like the Cuomo accusations were almost entirely all bullshit rigged up by Letitia James to boost her gubernatorial run. (IIRC one remained semi-legit sounding to me, albeit Cuomo denies it completely.) The fact that James outright lied and claimed in her press conference there were criminal violations is the kicker for me.

Of course, I have chastised myself for not being skeptical about it all because it was bringing down someone I dislike politically.

I mean, i'm sure Cuomo is a touchy feely kinda guy who has no problem trying to use his status to get laid. But it doesn't appear that he actually raped anybody.

I also think the whole thing is definitely politically motivated. James and Hochul (Cuomo's replacement) have shamelessly used him as a stepping stone to springboard their own ambitions. Not that they were behind it though, they just took advantage. Cuomo made a lot of enemies in Trump circles during the pandemic, and the nursing home scandal was just the entry point needed to pursue a 'me too' type sexual harassment campaign that the left bites on every time. Even nearly caught Biden with the same thing before they realized that lady (what's her name again?) was totally full of shit.

benjipwns

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #8828 on: November 30, 2021, 09:57:31 PM »
It is pretty fucked that the state can wrongfully imprison you and doesn't have to pay a dime when you get exonerated

benjipwns

« Reply #8829 on: November 30, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »
Not that they were behind it though, they just took advantage.
True, they did it to themselves by doing what you always do and calling for an investigation. And I suppose they got what they should for trusting James to actually do a fair investigation.

In the case of Chris, people seem to be focusing on him now while ignoring that CNN kept writing him exceptions for their own rules for months. They're basically firing him for doing what they told him he could do.

BadAss2961

« Reply #8830 on: November 30, 2021, 10:19:25 PM »
True, they did it to themselves by doing what you always do and calling for an investigation. And I suppose they got what they should for trusting James to actually do a fair investigation.

In the case of Chris, people seem to be focusing on him now while ignoring that CNN kept writing him exceptions for their own rules for months. They're basically firing him for doing what they told him he could do.
Exactly. They already knew exactly what he was doing.

It's just that the story is getting heat again that they figured he needed to take a break.

Boredfrom

« Reply #8831 on: November 30, 2021, 10:22:26 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/zero-smash-player-returns-a-year-after-the-allegations-denies-everything-big-plot-to-assassinate-my-character-lies.515085/page-9#post-77927769

Regardless of who's right, the person with the money is always at a huge advantage when it comes to lawsuits. This is a really unfortunate situation for Jisu to be in...

Isn’t notoriously difficult to demand someone for defamation in the US?

Then again, the fucking Gofundme doesn’t say what he is suing her for.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8832 on: November 30, 2021, 10:28:39 PM »
For immediate release

A staggering 53% of writers in the videogames industry have either experienced or witnessed workplace bullying with almost half (48%) experiencing burn-out or stress related illness, according to a survey of over 800 videogame workers and members of the Writers’ Guild of Great Britain (WGGB), the trade union representing game writers in the UK.

The union is also dealing with an increasing number of game writing members seeking legal representation, advice and support in an industry which has an entrenched reputation for opposing trade union recognition and for allowing bullying, harassment and discrimination, including sexual predation and misogyny, to flourish.

WGGB recently represented a number of members employed in the narrative team at Fusebox Games, where dozens of staff were told they faced losing their jobs, weeks after raising concerns about content in a game. One WGGB member said: "I have never worked in an environment where such passionate, dedicated staff were so mistreated. I filed one of many HR complaints against senior-level management and my contract was immediately terminated in response without any form of resolution or investigation."

Other companies have garnered attention in an industry blighted by the Gamergate movement, which first surfaced in 2014, years ahead of #MeToo. Ubisoft and Riot Games are some of the organisations to have faced scrutiny, while most recently legal action was launched against US-based Activision Blizzard, makers of Candy Crush, Overwatch and Call of Duty, following allegations that female employees were victims of discrimination in terms of unequal pay, sexual harassment, bullying and retaliation.

To establish best practice and encourage fair, productive and safe workplaces for those involved in the creation of interactive narrative in the videogames industry, WGGB is today launching a new publication, Writing for videogames: a guide for game writers and those who work with them.

The 29-page guide also serves as a handbook for games writers, both emerging and established, and for those who employ them. It provides a blueprint for the role of the game writer, setting suggested pay bands, and covering wide-ranging topics including contracts, agents and outsourcing companies, scripts, royalties and residuals, credits, awards, non-disclosure agreements and much more.

As part of the publication launch WGGB is engaging in outreach with videogames companies in the UK, to encourage them to recognise trade unions in their workplace or work constructively with WGGB, which can provide support and advice on all employment aspects, including equality and diversity, mental health, bullying and harassment policies and negotiations.

WGGB General Secretary Ellie Peers said: “A unionised industry is a safe industry and a fair industry, and we hope that our new guidelines will not just set best practice in terms of pay and conditions for game writers, but also act as a rallying call to videogames companies to work with us, to fall back on our expertise as a trade union with a long history of championing equality and diversity, standing against bullying and harassment, protecting workers and safeguarding their rights.”

WGGB Videogames Co-Chair Samantha Webb, who is a working game writer and narrative designer, said:

"Although the results from the survey are terrible, sadly I don't think it will be a great surprise to a lot of game industry professionals. In releasing our new guidelines, we hope to give game writers more support and information, as well as advice on how to protect themselves and what they can do in cases of abusive or toxic workplaces.

“While we often hear stories of bad practice and mistreatment of employees, it's worth noting that there are lots of studios doing really fantastic work to support and protect their game writers. We hope studios like these continue to flourish in our industry."

Ends

Notes to editors

Writing for videogames: a guide for game writers and those who work with them can be downloaded from www.writersguild.org.uk/gameswriters

The Writers’ Guild of Great Britain (WGGB) is a trade union representing writers for TV, film, theatre, radio, books, comedy, poetry, animation and videogames. It negotiates national agreements on pay and conditions with key industry bodies, including BBC, ITV and Pact; the Royal Court, National Theatre and Royal Shakespeare Company. It campaigns and lobbies on behalf of writers and offers a wide range of benefits to its members.

Twitter: @TheWritersGuild

Facebook: www.facebook.com/thewritersguild 

For further information contact Sarah Woodley, Communications Manager, Writers’ Guild of Great Britain. Email sarah@writersguild.org.uk
Somebody should make a ResetERA.com thread so they can pat themselves on the back for not being part of this 53%. And also so they know that Fusebox Games is cancelled and to harass them.
Damn, right when JShylock was going to hit publish on that story he's been working in for years now.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #8833 on: November 30, 2021, 10:44:22 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/zero-smash-player-returns-a-year-after-the-allegations-denies-everything-big-plot-to-assassinate-my-character-lies.515085/page-9#post-77927769

Regardless of who's right, the person with the money is always at a huge advantage when it comes to lawsuits. This is a really unfortunate situation for Jisu to be in...

She lives in California, if he does too, and thus the case is filed in California then she can easily do an anti-SLAPP motion and have the case dismissed before anything happens. California has, I believe, the broadest anti-SLAPP statute in the country. (Still will cost money for a lawyer, but nowhere near the $150K she's asking for, and also all her (and ResetERA.com's) talk about how lawsuits are a moneysink are not applicable here.)

Assuming everything she says is true, I'm not seeing how he has a defamation case at all. In her telling, he admitted to her claims.

If anything he should be suing Kotaku for publishing the claims (and his admittance of them being true) rather than a student with no money. I mean, he'd lose that case too, but at least he'd be targeting someone with money.

edit: PopeHat's explainers on anti-SLAPP if anyone cares to know more:
https://popehat.substack.com/p/what-is-an-anti-slapp-anyway-a-lawsplainer
https://popehat.substack.com/p/what-is-an-anti-slapp-anyway-a-lawsplainer-44b
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:57:15 PM by benjipwns »

Boredfrom

« Reply #8834 on: November 30, 2021, 10:56:41 PM »
She also a little infamous because she is a NFT artist (that thing that everyone seems to either love or hate right now).

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8835 on: November 30, 2021, 11:15:32 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nft-game-puts-entire-code-on-blockchain-discovers-bug-has-to-recreate-new-copy-of-game-from-scratch-on-blockchain.521769/#post-77919444

Quote from: L Thammy, post: 77919444, member: 1928
Trying to think of a sarcastic pun and the best I can come up with at the moment is "more like cockupchain am i right"

:kobeyuck  :comeon  :camby
Margs

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #8836 on: November 30, 2021, 11:30:45 PM »

- He just "wants to live his life"

scare quotes around something literally everyone on earth wants to do, and in every other context era would be yelling at you for preventing others from "just living their lives"

we seriously arguing that anyone with allegations forfeits the right to live their life?
Uncle

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8837 on: November 30, 2021, 11:41:54 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/netflix-confirms-premieres-for-2022-vikings-re-cuphead-cyberpunk-sandman-m-tg-and-more.521709/#post-77913417

Quote from: Kyuuji, post: 77913417, member: 31943
Hopefully means we'll see a Cyberpunk 2077 property free from the transphobic trappings of the game. Would be nice for  CDPR to realise it is in fact possible.

Translation: y’all got some of them free Netflix subs?  :nintendo
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #8838 on: November 30, 2021, 11:44:10 PM »
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns Around Ableism and Homophobia
If you want drama, Sodapoppin started playing and immediately got pulled into GM jail to change his name cause he named his character “drater yag” (read it backwards).
He can GTFO of this game.
Or, maybe, we stop policing who can and cannot play FFXIV?

Seriously. If you don't like Soda, that's totally fine. Just don't watch him

ShutUp

« Reply #8839 on: November 30, 2021, 11:53:52 PM »
The audacity to still be whining about CDPR when Kyuuji played through the game more than once  :lol tell this fuck to Google what positive things CDPR has done while working within a country that, as a whole, utterly despises LGBT people. It makes them rage that CDPR didnt bend the knee to their demands.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #8840 on: December 01, 2021, 01:49:10 AM »
I’m a better ally to trans people then kyuuji, I never played Cyberpunk :ego

spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, I did finally pick it up for 10$ on Black Friday :rejoice
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #8841 on: December 01, 2021, 02:51:02 AM »

[close]
Thank you for your service.

SmokyDave

« Reply #8842 on: December 01, 2021, 03:07:53 AM »
Those who are asking for punishment for the women; she was brutally raped and then told she should be glad she's not chopped up into little pieces by the cops.  Beyond being raped what punishment are you seeking?
The cats on reset want her suicide. I can't see anything else sating them. In the last week or so she's had her film cancelled, her book pulled from stores, found out she was instrumental in falsely imprisoning someone, and by extension that her actual rapist* has gone unpunished. She's apologised, and they're still seething. It's not hard to see where they want this to go.

*Pretty sure they don't really believe there was a rape at all.

[close]
Never played Cyberpunk, never read Harry Potter. I'm basically perfect.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8843 on: December 01, 2021, 04:31:44 AM »
Those who are asking for punishment for the women; she was brutally raped and then told she should be glad she's not chopped up into little pieces by the cops.  Beyond being raped what punishment are you seeking?
The cats on reset want her suicide. I can't see anything else sating them. In the last week or so she's had her film cancelled, her book pulled from stores, found out she was instrumental in falsely imprisoning someone, and by extension that her actual rapist* has gone unpunished. She's apologised, and they're still seething. It's not hard to see where they want this to go.

*Pretty sure they don't really believe there was a rape at all.

[close]
Never played Cyberpunk, never read Harry Potter. I'm basically perfect.
They do have history here
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #8844 on: December 01, 2021, 06:59:00 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/netflix-confirms-premieres-for-2022-vikings-re-cuphead-cyberpunk-sandman-m-tg-and-more.521709/#post-77913417

Quote from: Kyuuji, post: 77913417, member: 31943
Hopefully means we'll see a Cyberpunk 2077 property free from the transphobic trappings of the game. Would be nice for  CDPR to realise it is in fact possible.

Translation: y’all got some of them free Netflix subs?  :nintendo

*Netflix anime doesn't contain any transgender characters*

Kyuji: "A win for Transgender rights!"

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8845 on: December 01, 2021, 07:08:27 AM »
What exactly is transphobic about Cyberpunk2077? Is it that one energy drink ad?

SmokyDave

« Reply #8846 on: December 01, 2021, 07:11:11 AM »
What exactly is transphobic about Cyberpunk2077? Is it that one energy drink ad?
I'd hope not, as that would demonstrate a profound misunderstanding of the difference between sex and gender.

....oh, wait, it'll be that then. All mouth, no brains.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #8847 on: December 01, 2021, 07:46:33 AM »
Also that one joke on twitter about assuming one's gender.
That alone probably killed thousands of trans folks. :ufup

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #8848 on: December 01, 2021, 07:58:07 AM »

cyberpunk is one of the most progressive games ever created

there is softcore gay porn on billboards and chicks with dicks like it's just straight up accepted in this world, this game would've given conservatives coronaries a decade ago

trans content was created by actual trans people, they did their research and made sure it was all above reproach
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #8849 on: December 01, 2021, 08:35:51 AM »
RE being all "I don't approve that they canceled the event *wink* but actually the reasoning is totally solid"

As a Muslim, I can see why they did this.
I know the huge difference between what ISIS believes in and islam, but I'd say that most westerners don't. And bringing someone to talk to young students about the terrible atrocities done to her and many others in the name of what those monsters claim was Islam can be misunderstood and used against average Muslims. I'd say that even people who think of themselves as educated in the matter think that ISIS are Muslim extremists, as in that they follow islam very strictly, which is incorrect. It's why even in mainstream western media the only "good" Muslims are the ones that don't really follow Islam (the only exception I've seen is Hassan from Midnight Mass)

Is it though? We live in a world of anti-maskers, covid deniers, and its a speech taking place where thankfully the US sucks up all the bigotry press in N. America so they end up covering up, I dunno, murdered indigenous children for the last hundred years or so. Your utopia of bigotry free rationality doesn’t exist.

While I think she should speak, you ‘Well it idiotic to think people would take the wrong lessons from it’ completely ignores the state of the world today. I can’t be mad at their concerns, even if I might feel its an overreaction.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/canadian-school-cancels-event-with-isis-survivor-out-of-fear-of-offending-muslim-students.521694/post-77910753

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #8850 on: December 01, 2021, 08:57:57 AM »
Ree continues to be weird as fuck about everything, even scam calls -

Can you try something for me? The next time you get a scam call, take the call then immediately hang up. Next: immediately call them back. When they pick up, hang up. Wait five minutes. Call them again, then when they pick up, hang up.

Keep doing this THE ENTIRE DAY. And I do mean literally the entire day. Do it every hour or something. Do it for a week even. Fucking haunt them.

I want to know if they'll eventually block your number and never think about calling you ever again.

Imagine having so little going on in your life that you had the time to do this shite. What a luxury.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/holy-crap-i-am-getting-10-scam-calls-a-day-its-never-been-this-bad-before-how-do-i-make-this-stop.521730/#post-77913888

Most of those calls are robocalls that have unlisted/spoofed numbers or will go to a call center.  It's not like Chopra in Bangladesh is dialing every number and when you call back, you'll get him on the line.  If anything, it will generate more calls to your number because they know there's someone on the other end of the line.  Just get a decent phone/provider (and don't put your real number on everything you buy online) and it shouldn't be an issue to begin with.

benjipwns

« Reply #8851 on: December 01, 2021, 08:59:33 AM »
RE being all "I don't approve that they canceled the event *wink* but actually the reasoning is totally solid"

I know the huge difference between what ISIS believes in and islam, but I'd say that most westerners don't. And bringing someone to talk to young students about the terrible atrocities done to her and many others in the name of what those monsters claim was Islam can be misunderstood and used against average Muslims. I'd say that even people who think of themselves as educated in the matter think that ISIS are Muslim extremists, as in that they follow islam very strictly, which is incorrect. It's why even in mainstream western media the only "good" Muslims are the ones that don't really follow Islam (the only exception I've seen is Hassan from Midnight Mass)

Is it though? We live in a world of anti-maskers, covid deniers, and its a speech taking place where thankfully the US sucks up all the bigotry press in N. America so they end up covering up, I dunno, murdered indigenous children for the last hundred years or so. Your utopia of bigotry free rationality doesn’t exist.

While I think she should speak, you ‘Well it idiotic to think people would take the wrong lessons from it’ completely ignores the state of the world today. I can’t be mad at their concerns, even if I might feel its an overreaction.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/canadian-school-cancels-event-with-isis-survivor-out-of-fear-of-offending-muslim-students.521694/post-77910753
What that second post is a reply to is funny:
Am sorry this is ridiculous. This is one of the most recent genocides in the world. Thousands murdered, thousands sold as slaves and raped/mistreated for years. There were literal slave markets where people went in the town and picked up their Yazidi slaves. Its fairly disgusting to suggest a victim is talking about this to push against ISIS sympathisers/supporters - their talking about their experience of events that took place practically yesterday.

Shes a nobel prize winner who this very article explains is an advocate for survivors. Thats literally all shes doing. Shes talking about her story and you shouldn't judge or suggest it shouldn't be heard because its not convenient. ISIS caused harm to many muslims as well and their stories are just as important.

A very short google search shows Muslims helped her escape into territory liberated by muslims fighting ISIS. Your point is totally reactionary to the negative.
It's valid to ignore the ISIS sex slaves lived experience because some people might take it out on Muslims (a totally non-patriarchal religion) in general due to Americans!

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8852 on: December 01, 2021, 09:11:46 AM »
the joke is what caused most of the outrage and placed the game on the no no list. I doubt they would have cared too much about the dickgirl ad if it wasn't for that tweet (and the fact that cdpr are dirty polacks)
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #8853 on: December 01, 2021, 09:30:31 AM »

Am sorry this is ridiculous. This is one of the most recent genocides in the world. Thousands murdered, thousands sold as slaves and raped/mistreated for years. There were literal slave markets where people went in the town and picked up their Yazidi slaves. Its fairly disgusting to suggest a victim is talking about this to push against ISIS sympathisers/supporters - their talking about their experience of events that took place practically yesterday.

Shes a nobel prize winner who this very article explains is an advocate for survivors. Thats literally all shes doing. Shes talking about her story and you shouldn't judge or suggest it shouldn't be heard because its not convenient. ISIS caused harm to many muslims as well and their stories are just as important.

A very short google search shows Muslims helped her escape into territory liberated by muslims fighting ISIS. Your point is totally reactionary to the negative.
It's valid to ignore the ISIS sex slaves lived experience because some people might take it out on Muslims (a totally non-patriarchal religion) in general due to Americans!

The only answer to anti-intellectualism is more anti-intellectualism!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8854 on: December 01, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ever-hear-of-a-cock-meat-sandwich.521811/#post-77925615
You literally just said "2008 was a long time ago". So, no, not everyone is going to know what this is/was. But even if they did, that's besides the point, it was homophobic then and it's homophobic now. Not to mention a bunch of other shitty things about it too. And at the very least you should let people know you're posting a "comedy" scene with slurs in it. Some people don't want to hear that shit.

Only thing offensive about that whole post was when the OP said that Harold and Kumar was a childhood film of his. Damn I'm getting old  :-\
^_^

Mediocre Lager

« Reply #8855 on: December 01, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »
A black man is higher on the oppression ladder than a white woman. That's it. They don't really care about rapes, or victims, or any of that.

Averon

« Reply #8856 on: December 01, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-her-ass-is-part-of-her-character.275780/page-204#post-77694066

They consider THAT a scandalous female design? Even very mild female cleavage seems to be too much for them to handle. It is amazing how similar their views about sex and the female body are to right-wing Christians and Islamic conservatives.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #8857 on: December 01, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-her-ass-is-part-of-her-character.275780/page-204#post-77694066

They consider THAT a scandalous female design? Even very mild female cleavage seems to be too much for them to handle. It is amazing how similar their views about sex and the female body are to right-wing Christians and Islamic conservatives.

what they did to Ellie is criminal

:shaq2

Propagandhim

« Reply #8858 on: December 01, 2021, 12:07:48 PM »

the duality of man

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #8859 on: December 01, 2021, 12:10:48 PM »
I can honestly state that I couldn't and wouldn't masturbate to either of those pictures, so if that was the intended effect it didn't work.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #8860 on: December 01, 2021, 12:18:09 PM »
more for me

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #8861 on: December 01, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »
Also that one joke on twitter about assuming one's gender.
That alone probably killed thousands of trans folks. :ufup

And the fact that the pronouns NPCs use to refer to you is tied to your voice choice.

No, I'm not joking, that got their panties in a twist.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/your-tone-of-voice-determines-the-pronouns-assigned-to-you-in-cyberpunk-2077.236938/

Boredfrom

« Reply #8862 on: December 01, 2021, 12:55:48 PM »
Quote from: Krazen
Your utopia of bigotry free rationality doesn’t exist.

Why is this dude allowed to post anything anywhere?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #8863 on: December 01, 2021, 02:15:35 PM »
I'm going to get some narcan and fentanyl test strips. I don't even use drugs, but just like it's useful to carry an Epipen with you, I want to have this stuff available in my home, because you just never know if someone you invite over had drugs before they came by, and what they're on, and it might be too late if they OD in your presence

:dunno

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8864 on: December 01, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »
I'm going to get some narcan and fentanyl test strips. I don't even use drugs, but just like it's useful to carry an Epipen with you, I want to have this stuff available in my home, because you just never know if someone you invite over had drugs before they came by, and what they're on, and it might be too late if they OD in your presence

If I invite someone into my home and they are on drugs and OD, the best they'll get is me dragging their arse out to the street and calling an ambulance. Very much a case of fuck you, not my problem.

Fuck off junkies.
Spud

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #8865 on: December 01, 2021, 02:36:46 PM »

I'm starting to think most of this guy's posts are bullshit to try and get him attention.

If someone's coming by my house fucked up on fenty/opiods (and yeah you can tell when someone's on it unlike most of the posters in that thread seem to think) they're not coming in the door.  If they're at that point where they're ODing, they belong in a hospital/detox/rehab and not having someone trying to revive them on a couch.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:40:56 PM by porkbun »

« Reply #8866 on: December 01, 2021, 02:36:57 PM »

Nothing Loud is seriously drawn to chaos and can't help but constantly overshare and humblebrag all at the same time. I know he's got mental issues and is in therapy but holy shit dude. He's a serious trainwreck that you can't look away from and feel bad for but man he also annoys me.

If anyone needs an intervention and a break from the internet, it's him.

I'm starting to think most of this guy's posts are bullshit to try and get him attention.

I think they've got enough issues that they're completely unaware of how they come off to others.

His husband is a special education teacher in Seattle and openly mentions it from time to time, this can't be a good look for him.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:41:00 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #8867 on: December 01, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »
If someone's coming by my house fucked up on fenty/opiods (and yeah you can tell when someone's on it unlike most of the posters in that thread seem to think) they're not coming in the door.  If they're at that point where they're ODing, they belong in a hospital/detox/rehab and not having someone trying to revive them on a couch.

Read through his post history. The dude is attracted to this shit and just can't shake it. He hides under the guise of "My psychiatrist and therapist are both of aware of these things and encourage me because we're all so progressive" but then you get a post about how he's addicted to weed, and then making posts about buying a shitload of expensive electronics or how they nearly failed out of the PhD program, or they're going to an orgy in midst of Covid but don't forget he lives in Seattle where we're totally better than everyone else in how we're handling Covid, then his homeless boyfriend is sleeping on their couch and now the homeless ex-boyfriend almost died from an OD.
野球

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #8868 on: December 01, 2021, 02:46:17 PM »
Nothing Loud is seriously drawn to chaos and can't help but constantly overshare and humblebrag all at the same time. I know he's got mental issues and is in therapy but holy shit dude. He's a serious trainwreck that you can't look away from and feel bad for but man he also annoys me.

If anyone needs an intervention and a break from the internet, it's him.

He's definitely addicted to chaos and is co-dependent/enabling all of the "broken" people in his life because it gives him some validation.

He reminds me of the people in rehab that made everything about themselves with their "woe is me" stories but took zero responsibility about the situation they put themselves in.  You can feel sorry up to a point but there comes a time you need to take a hard look in the mirror.

But of course the REEE mental health circle jerk will continue to affirm his behavior and nothing's going to really change.

He hides under the guise of "My psychiatrist and therapist are both of aware of these things and encourage me because we're all so progressive"

If that is true, he needs to get new therapists.  A good therapist should be challenging you, not enabling poor behavior.  That's almost shit that should cost someone their license.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8869 on: December 01, 2021, 02:51:56 PM »

The only answer to anti-intellectualism is more anti-intellectualism!
Well, we wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea about Muslims and Islam, would we?

Sefton Plaza shopping centre stabbing victim attacked by own family because of boyfriend's faith, court told
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-01/woman-stabbed-in-adelaide-car-park-over-faith-dispute-court-told/100667088

Police have told a court a 21-year-old Adelaide woman was ambushed and stabbed by members of her own family because she was dating someone outside her faith.

• Five people have now been charged with attempted murder over the alleged attack.
  • Witnesses reported that the stabbing victim, a 21-year-old woman, was forced into a car
  • The court heard the victim, from a Muslim family, had been dating a Christian man whom her family disapproved of

All religion is a cancer.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #8870 on: December 01, 2021, 02:55:58 PM »
Introduction
There are some movies that I watch every year whether I want to or not. Movies on television sort of just manifest around us, especially around the holidays. We watch Hocus Pocus over and over in the fall, a movie I have learned to love, and we watch the Home Alone movies in the winter, which I have not. Still, there is something cozy about the familiar. It’s why we gravitate towards these kinds of movies when they’re on TV. It doesn’t matter when the movie started or how much has left, it doesn’t matter if we already watched it yesterday, it’s just nice to have something seasonal on the television while we fold the laundry or make dinner. They’re movies we’ve watched many hundreds of times in our lives. They have transcended the limits of actual films and simply become ambience.

But they are, in fact, movies. While I am often able to ignore the details and accept the ambience, my dissatisfaction with Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is something that grows more and more each year. I can feel that the movie has transitioned from film, to mindless ambience, back to film, and now morphed into something else entirely. It has become a grim, wicked aura. It is a specter of the holidays that only I can see. Christmas is not the same since my heart closed to Home Alone 2.

For years I have regaled my friends, and occasionally posted online, about how much I don’t like Home Alone 2. Some people think it’s really funny. Some people think I’m completely right. But I’ve been urged year after year to put all my feelings together in one place. I have decided that this is the year. This is the year I make “The Home Alone 2 Thread.” This is not an analysis thread, but more of a stream of consciousness post of some thoughts I’ve had over the years.

But before I really get into it, I want to remind folks this is just for fun. I don’t think I’m going to say anything too outrageous or extreme. I don’t think there’s anything I’m about to say that’s particularly controversial. They’re just Christmas movies, after all.

Part One: We Need to Talk about Kevin
Kevin McCallister is a bad person and I always wish The Wet Bandits would catch and kill him.

The entire McCallister brood, who are rude and numerous, are exorbitantly wealthy monsters. We meet them in Home Alone 1. They plan to bring their curse overseas to debase Europe. Their abode is an opulent suburban mansion, which they inhabit savagely, and it far exceeds the standard of living of most viewers. But it is not enough. They want Paris, the romantic and storied city. Like everything else in this world, it must be theirs. Everything is not enough.

And worst of them all, the most vulgar of all the creatures, is the self-obsessed Kevin McCallister. The Kevin Creature resents his wealth. He resents his clan. He, like them all, seems only invested in personal fulfillment and outward destruction. He wishes them all dead — his only merciful act — so that he can be the horrible young king of the kingdom he hates.

His rule is violent and terrible. His sadism and cruelty is boundless. And what does he want us to do? He wants us to laugh. He wants us to appreciate his art. I cannot cheer at this hateful demon. I must look away. May God be with the Wet Bandits of the world.

Still, there are the faintest shreds of something pitiable in Kevin McCallister. His horrible family exposes him to many a variety of disgraces. He is at the bottom of a pecking order that leaves his unfeathered hide bloody with the marks of dominance. The broken boy is so diminished among his classless upper-class hive of cretins that even I can identify a cloak of sadness over his meager existence. There is the thought that perhaps Kevin may be capable of kindness somehow in a different environment.

Kevin’s actions over the course of Home Alone 1 are, without question, questionable. He is Home Alone. He is able to exist outside the context of his family for a short time and define himself as something new. Naturally he chooses decadence and violence, as abuse begets abuse and the powerless crave power, not justice. He parades and pilfers around his family home with a freedom he’s never been afforded. The Wet Bandits challenge the freedom he has yet only just begun to grasp. Kevin must assert his dominance over his invaders if he is to remain defined beyond his bloodline. Kevin’s assault on the bandits is existential.

Regardless of my feelings towards Kevin McCallister (evil), I believe his actions are largely justified in the film. Kevin wished for freedom and was granted a reprieve from his family. He must prove to himself, and of course God, that he can maintain himself under these circumstances. The pleasure he takes in brutalizing The Bandits is certainly sadistic, but he remains within his right to protect himself and his property. This is his world now. I cannot condemn Kevin for doing what he must do to preserve it.

Home Alone 1 ends on a happy note for Kevin. Over the course of the film he learns that not everyone is his enemy. He reconciles with his mother. He got to live as he wanted and proved he could. Even his foul brother begrudgingly pays him a small tribute. Kevin McCallister begins Home Alone 1 as a pauper, but he ends the film as a prince.

Part Two: Lost in New York
Home Alone 2 gets a lot of flack for being too similar to Home Alone. It has many of the same story beats. But Lost in New York is a radically different story because during these similar story beats we are following a very different Kevin. This is not powerless Pauper Kevin, this is Prince Kevin who knows how to kill and could if he wanted to. This is Kevin in a new environment where his character can truly be tested.

Lost in New York begins with a conflict between Kevin and his brother, who embarrasses him publicly. Kevin responds violently, punching him in the face to indicate he is not to be trifled with. The extreme response alarms his family. They corral around older brother Buzz to indicate Kevin shall not usurp the natural order and so long that he remains a threat to their hierarchy they will remain united against him. This is infuriating to Kevin who is deposed back to the bottom of a kingdom he once ruled. He fumes and bides his time, denouncing their latest holiday conquest as the clan makes plans to invade Florida for another wretched holiday.

Through a series of predictable mishaps where the horrible family fucks up another routine and makes it everyone else’s problem, Kevin and his family are separated at the airport. Kevin flies to New York City while his family flies to Miami. It is here that we must pause to respect the different context in which this story begins.

In Home Alone 1, Pauper Kevin becomes king of McCallister Castle for a short time. We can denounce his actions in the first film, but we cannot deny his claim to his ancestral abode. His actions are justifiable in the name of personal protection against outside forces that threaten him. Over the course of this film he embraces the necessity of violence to ensure his own safety in his own home. By the end of the film he loses control and cedes rulership back to his family, but he remains in control of his violent tendencies. Prince Kevin will not tolerate being under foot for long. The taste of the boot is most loathsome when you have worn the boot even once. Kevin has worn the boot.

When Kevin arrives in New York, he is recast from invaded to invader. He arrives in the city hungry for power and freedom and is determined to get it. Provided with infinite economic resources backed by his father’s credit card, Kevin selects The Plaza Hotel as his new castle. He overthrows its residents and bends them to subservience.

What’s important to remember about The Plaza and its staff is that they have every right to be there. That is their station. It is their job. Kevin is the one who should not be there, and he must bend rules and manipulate people to settle inside. Every act of resistance he faces from the hotel staff is entirely warranted, but it is through these rational actions we are meant to develop an animosity towards them. How dare they stand in the way of Kevin McCallister, the destroyer?

How can we blame the service staff for doing their jobs? How can we deny them the right to resist Kevin’s invasion? Are we really to sympathize with Kevin, the interloper, as he admonishes and torments wage workers who depend on this work for their livelihoods? If Kevin’s actions in Home Alone 1 were justified because he was being invaded, is the resistance of the service staff not justified in the face of Kevin’s own invasion? Every action they take is in accordance with the policy and procedure of their hotel, the laws of the land Kevin is occupying, but Kevin pushes through until he is seated in control of the building.

Once Kevin is indulged and given control of the building and the staff, he degrades and humiliates them at every turn. He makes them fear for their very lives. These people who work here, who have objectively done nothing wrong, are treated with tremendous indecency. This is not Kevin versus his family, this is not Kevin versus bandits. This is rich and spoiled Kevin McCallister, with infinite money he did not earn, defiling and deprecating wage staff who must indulge him for the wages they need to live. This is the horror of how Prince Kevin treats his subjects - with all the hatred in his heart. Under literal threat of death they must serve him.

One of the repeated story beats in Lost in New York from the first film is that Kevin encounters a mysterious older character whom he fears and does not understand. In the first film, he learns that the old man he was afraid of was actually a kindly neighbor who is suffering the burden of a long-held grudge. Kevin is meant to learn from his experience with this man - that kindness and forgiveness is the path to happiness. It is this lesson he internalizes to reconcile with his own family at the end of Home Alone 1. But when Kevin comes face to face with the “Pigeon Lady” in Central Park, he recoils in abject horror and disgust. Kevin cannot extend to her the same learned decency and kindness he gave to the old neighbor and his own family because he does not view her the way he views these people. This woman is hardly human. This woman is homeless.

The Pigeon Lady, who is not even respected enough in Kevin’s world to have a name, lives in the park covered in pigeon shit. Kevin fears her until she saves his life, after which he is able to see her utility because she has benefitted him. We learn from The Pigeon Lady in a surprisingly insightful sequence that she has trouble connecting with people because they act as if she is not there. This is something the homeless often describe as the most degrading aspect of their plight - to be treated with such little consideration that they barely exist to people. She says she was not always homeless - that she had a family, and a house, but all of that is gone now because the people closest to her abandoned her. Paralyzed by her heartache and trauma, she lives alone with the birds in the margins of society where nobody cares if she lives or dies.

Kevin listens to her story with vague interest. He affirms that it is her fault she is like this because she refuses to open her heart to people. He claims that he understands what it’s like to be homeless because his family doesn’t pay attention to him all the time. The poor woman just accepts his lecture, which we are meant to perceive as sound advice, and then the old woman explains that good deeds makeup for bad deeds and good deeds count even more on Christmas. Kevin tells her that he will not forget her and she tells him not to make promises he won’t keep.

The ethical structure the old woman proposes is that it is never too late to stop doing bad deeds and start doing good ones. Kevin, who lives selfishly, can make the choice to be selfless at any time. As Kevin sits there in the cold with the shit-covered woman who has no place to live, he meditates on what it might mean to do a good deed. He puts the thought in the woman’s head that he will remember her. Any sensible viewer would imminently expect Kevin to be charitable towards his rescuer, but Kevin has no honor. Instead, he resolves that the best good deed he could do is get revenge on The Wet Bandits.

Of course, there is another motivation. There is a toy store who donates their holiday profits to the children’s hospital, because it is an American hospital and there is no publicly funded healthcare. The Wet Bandits are robbing the toy store, which will deprive the children’s hospital of their donation that they need to keep babies alive. Kevin realizes that part of being rich is giving away the money of the working class while taking credit and reaping the accolades for allowing it to happen.

He lures The Bandits to his rich uncle’s New York City penthouse, which is being lavishly renovated while the family vacations in Europe (as usual). He tortures The Wet Bandits and prevents them from stealing the money. Kevin takes credit for preventing the robbery and we are meant to understand that this was his “good deed” that was meant to erase his cruelty.

But what of The Pigeon Lady, whom Kevin swore he would keep in his thoughts and not forget? Well, you see, he gives her a bird ornament. You know, the woman covered in real birds that serve as her only companionship, he gives her a small toy bird. Let it be clear here that Kevin has infinite access to money. He has access to two separate residences - a five star hotel where he is staying and enjoys every luxury and the empty penthouse belonging to his uncle - and he offers no shelter to the woman. He doesn’t offer her anything to eat. He doesn’t offer to let her come back to the hotel and take a shower. He doesn’t even offer her a ride somewhere in his limo. He gives her a toy and leaves her behind forever - because she is homeless in New York City and Kevin lives in a mansion in Chicago.

Kevin is reunited with his family and is cosmically rewarded for his long string of misdeeds and receives a bounty of gifts from the toy store as his actions. Kevin’s intensely material existence continues and the rich get richer, but the nameless woman in Central Park stays cold.

Epilogue
This year on Disney+ they released another Home Alone cash-in called “Home Sweet Home Alone”, in which they did the only thing they could possibly do to make Kevin worse and turned him into a British boy. They did something else too - something that was supposed to be subversive that landed flat on its face.

In Home Sweet Home Alone, two hard on their luck parents are being forced to sell their home due to their financial difficulties. This is something they hide from even their own children, whose Christmas they are trying to preserve. The couple are played by Rob Delaney and Ellie Kemper and are portrayed as entirely affable, good natured people suffering hard times. Their plight is tragic and heartbreaking and the actors who play them are some of the most likable and charming faces imaginable. These “New Bandits” are our sympathetic leads. The New Bandits discover a box of old dolls in their house that have been in the family and find one with an unusual imperfection. They wonder if they might be able to sell them to give their kids a better Christmas.

The “Kevin” character, whose name is not Kevin but I will continue to call him Kevin, is a repugnant snot who constantly roasts everyone in his family because he hates everyone so damn much. To this Kevin, life is a dreadful stage show for him to jeer and boo from the comfort of the palace he lives in with his international family. He ends up at an open house for the home of the new bandits where Rob Delaney’s character playfully denies New Kevin a can of soda when he demands one. Kevin’s eyes fill with rage as he plots his revenge and he swipes something from the home to punish his lessers. The world belongs to him, don’t they know?

After the open house, the couple discovers that the doll with the imperfection is a legendary collector’s item worth $200,000 - a huge amount of money that could turn around their fortunes and save their family home. But when they rush to the box to retrieve the doll - it’s gone! Horrible Kevin has stolen the doll! He knows not what he’s done, but his quest to harm those around him for any perceived slight has succeeded better than he ever imagined.

Desperate to reclaim the doll and save their family and their home, the couple attempts to reclaim the doll from New Kevin. He Home Alones the shit out of them, punishing them with gruesome acts of extreme violence. In the original films, The Wet Bandits made no concessions towards wanting to murder Kevin. Harry literally says he’s going to bite Kevin’s fingers off in Home Alone 1. They are going to shoot him under a bridge in Home Alone 2. The Wet Bandits pose a severe and lethal threat to Kevin. But the New Bandits? They are just a poor couple trying to take back something that was stolen from them. And Rich British Kevin punishes them for it most horrendously and violently.

This movie understands something about Home Alone, and that’s that Kevin McCallister is evil and hates the lower class. But what it wrongfully assumes is that this is why we watch it. Home Sweet Home Alone is more of an honest take on Home Alone than I’d expect and in being so honest it explains what is so perverse about Kevin McCallister and his behavior. Home Sweet Home Alone is the mask-off movie - but I have seen through the mask for years. I have glared through its eye holes at the dark, lifeless pits behind them and seen the deep hollow wickedness of Kevin McCallister for years. I did not need Home Sweet Home Alone to spell it out for me.

The “twist” of the movie is that New Kevin did not steal the doll. He stole a can of soda. The doll was in the house all along. It has a happy ending and everyone becomes friends. The father willingly gives New Kevin a can of soda. Kevin always gets his way. The rich get richer and the rest freeze in the park.

---

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas, readers. May you hold as much hate in your heart for Kevin McCallister as he does for you and have the courage to strike him down should you ever meet one cold night in Central Park. Peace and love to all.

:wut

Jansen

« Reply #8871 on: December 01, 2021, 02:57:07 PM »

If I invite someone into my home and they are on drugs and OD, the best they'll get is me dragging their arse out to the street and calling an ambulance. Very much a case of fuck you, not my problem.

Fuck off junkies.

Can you imagine being such a piece of shit that if you had a way to save somebody's life you wouldn't and just let him die on the street

I know you idiots like to shit on everything re but this ain't the one. Narcan blocks the opioid receptors in your brain and can easily save someone from an overdose

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #8872 on: December 01, 2021, 02:58:34 PM »

Only thing offensive about that whole post was when the OP said that Harold and Kumar was a childhood film of his. Damn I'm getting old  :-\
SAME lol...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-firmware-update-21-02-04-50-00-is-out.521901/page-4#post-77959095
It's kind of funny that Resetera has both an 11-page outrage thread over an $8 cosmetic in a F2P game and another where people are defending a $3,000+ TV that lacks a great QoL feature lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #8873 on: December 01, 2021, 02:58:35 PM »
bribe people with giftcards to try and get engagement with your unfunny and untimely rants about a film noone gives a shit about breh

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #8874 on: December 01, 2021, 03:00:56 PM »
bribe people with giftcards to try and get engagement with your unfunny and untimely rants about a film noone gives a shit about breh

Also that he apparently watches them on FreeForm, where movies take twice as long to watch because of the commercials.

:goty

« Reply #8875 on: December 01, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »

Fuck off junkies.

Can you imagine being such a piece of shit that if you had a way to save somebody's life you wouldn't and just let him die on the street

I know you idiots like to shit on everything re but this ain't the one. Narcan blocks the opioid receptors in your brain and can easily save someone from an overdose

Having Narcan on hand is likely the smartest thing that dude has done recently. Everything else is just a sliding scale of bad choices.
野球

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #8876 on: December 01, 2021, 03:11:12 PM »
Is Finale Fireworker okay?  Da faq did I just read

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8877 on: December 01, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »
Introduction
There are some movies that I watch every year whether I want to or not. Movies on television sort of just manifest around us, especially around the holidays. We watch Hocus Pocus over and over in the fall, a movie I have learned to love, and we watch the Home Alone movies in the winter, which I have not. Still, there is something cozy about the familiar. It’s why we gravitate towards these kinds of movies when they’re on TV. It doesn’t matter when the movie started or how much has left, it doesn’t matter if we already watched it yesterday, it’s just nice to have something seasonal on the television while we fold the laundry or make dinner. They’re movies we’ve watched many hundreds of times in our lives. They have transcended the limits of actual films and simply become ambience.

But they are, in fact, movies. While I am often able to ignore the details and accept the ambience, my dissatisfaction with Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is something that grows more and more each year. I can feel that the movie has transitioned from film, to mindless ambience, back to film, and now morphed into something else entirely. It has become a grim, wicked aura. It is a specter of the holidays that only I can see. Christmas is not the same since my heart closed to Home Alone 2.

For years I have regaled my friends, and occasionally posted online, about how much I don’t like Home Alone 2. Some people think it’s really funny. Some people think I’m completely right. But I’ve been urged year after year to put all my feelings together in one place. I have decided that this is the year. This is the year I make “The Home Alone 2 Thread.” This is not an analysis thread, but more of a stream of consciousness post of some thoughts I’ve had over the years.

But before I really get into it, I want to remind folks this is just for fun. I don’t think I’m going to say anything too outrageous or extreme. I don’t think there’s anything I’m about to say that’s particularly controversial. They’re just Christmas movies, after all.

Part One: We Need to Talk about Kevin
Kevin McCallister is a bad person and I always wish The Wet Bandits would catch and kill him.

The entire McCallister brood, who are rude and numerous, are exorbitantly wealthy monsters. We meet them in Home Alone 1. They plan to bring their curse overseas to debase Europe. Their abode is an opulent suburban mansion, which they inhabit savagely, and it far exceeds the standard of living of most viewers. But it is not enough. They want Paris, the romantic and storied city. Like everything else in this world, it must be theirs. Everything is not enough.

And worst of them all, the most vulgar of all the creatures, is the self-obsessed Kevin McCallister. The Kevin Creature resents his wealth. He resents his clan. He, like them all, seems only invested in personal fulfillment and outward destruction. He wishes them all dead — his only merciful act — so that he can be the horrible young king of the kingdom he hates.

His rule is violent and terrible. His sadism and cruelty is boundless. And what does he want us to do? He wants us to laugh. He wants us to appreciate his art. I cannot cheer at this hateful demon. I must look away. May God be with the Wet Bandits of the world.

Still, there are the faintest shreds of something pitiable in Kevin McCallister. His horrible family exposes him to many a variety of disgraces. He is at the bottom of a pecking order that leaves his unfeathered hide bloody with the marks of dominance. The broken boy is so diminished among his classless upper-class hive of cretins that even I can identify a cloak of sadness over his meager existence. There is the thought that perhaps Kevin may be capable of kindness somehow in a different environment.

Kevin’s actions over the course of Home Alone 1 are, without question, questionable. He is Home Alone. He is able to exist outside the context of his family for a short time and define himself as something new. Naturally he chooses decadence and violence, as abuse begets abuse and the powerless crave power, not justice. He parades and pilfers around his family home with a freedom he’s never been afforded. The Wet Bandits challenge the freedom he has yet only just begun to grasp. Kevin must assert his dominance over his invaders if he is to remain defined beyond his bloodline. Kevin’s assault on the bandits is existential.

Regardless of my feelings towards Kevin McCallister (evil), I believe his actions are largely justified in the film. Kevin wished for freedom and was granted a reprieve from his family. He must prove to himself, and of course God, that he can maintain himself under these circumstances. The pleasure he takes in brutalizing The Bandits is certainly sadistic, but he remains within his right to protect himself and his property. This is his world now. I cannot condemn Kevin for doing what he must do to preserve it.

Home Alone 1 ends on a happy note for Kevin. Over the course of the film he learns that not everyone is his enemy. He reconciles with his mother. He got to live as he wanted and proved he could. Even his foul brother begrudgingly pays him a small tribute. Kevin McCallister begins Home Alone 1 as a pauper, but he ends the film as a prince.

Part Two: Lost in New York
Home Alone 2 gets a lot of flack for being too similar to Home Alone. It has many of the same story beats. But Lost in New York is a radically different story because during these similar story beats we are following a very different Kevin. This is not powerless Pauper Kevin, this is Prince Kevin who knows how to kill and could if he wanted to. This is Kevin in a new environment where his character can truly be tested.

Lost in New York begins with a conflict between Kevin and his brother, who embarrasses him publicly. Kevin responds violently, punching him in the face to indicate he is not to be trifled with. The extreme response alarms his family. They corral around older brother Buzz to indicate Kevin shall not usurp the natural order and so long that he remains a threat to their hierarchy they will remain united against him. This is infuriating to Kevin who is deposed back to the bottom of a kingdom he once ruled. He fumes and bides his time, denouncing their latest holiday conquest as the clan makes plans to invade Florida for another wretched holiday.

Through a series of predictable mishaps where the horrible family fucks up another routine and makes it everyone else’s problem, Kevin and his family are separated at the airport. Kevin flies to New York City while his family flies to Miami. It is here that we must pause to respect the different context in which this story begins.

In Home Alone 1, Pauper Kevin becomes king of McCallister Castle for a short time. We can denounce his actions in the first film, but we cannot deny his claim to his ancestral abode. His actions are justifiable in the name of personal protection against outside forces that threaten him. Over the course of this film he embraces the necessity of violence to ensure his own safety in his own home. By the end of the film he loses control and cedes rulership back to his family, but he remains in control of his violent tendencies. Prince Kevin will not tolerate being under foot for long. The taste of the boot is most loathsome when you have worn the boot even once. Kevin has worn the boot.

When Kevin arrives in New York, he is recast from invaded to invader. He arrives in the city hungry for power and freedom and is determined to get it. Provided with infinite economic resources backed by his father’s credit card, Kevin selects The Plaza Hotel as his new castle. He overthrows its residents and bends them to subservience.

What’s important to remember about The Plaza and its staff is that they have every right to be there. That is their station. It is their job. Kevin is the one who should not be there, and he must bend rules and manipulate people to settle inside. Every act of resistance he faces from the hotel staff is entirely warranted, but it is through these rational actions we are meant to develop an animosity towards them. How dare they stand in the way of Kevin McCallister, the destroyer?

How can we blame the service staff for doing their jobs? How can we deny them the right to resist Kevin’s invasion? Are we really to sympathize with Kevin, the interloper, as he admonishes and torments wage workers who depend on this work for their livelihoods? If Kevin’s actions in Home Alone 1 were justified because he was being invaded, is the resistance of the service staff not justified in the face of Kevin’s own invasion? Every action they take is in accordance with the policy and procedure of their hotel, the laws of the land Kevin is occupying, but Kevin pushes through until he is seated in control of the building.

Once Kevin is indulged and given control of the building and the staff, he degrades and humiliates them at every turn. He makes them fear for their very lives. These people who work here, who have objectively done nothing wrong, are treated with tremendous indecency. This is not Kevin versus his family, this is not Kevin versus bandits. This is rich and spoiled Kevin McCallister, with infinite money he did not earn, defiling and deprecating wage staff who must indulge him for the wages they need to live. This is the horror of how Prince Kevin treats his subjects - with all the hatred in his heart. Under literal threat of death they must serve him.

One of the repeated story beats in Lost in New York from the first film is that Kevin encounters a mysterious older character whom he fears and does not understand. In the first film, he learns that the old man he was afraid of was actually a kindly neighbor who is suffering the burden of a long-held grudge. Kevin is meant to learn from his experience with this man - that kindness and forgiveness is the path to happiness. It is this lesson he internalizes to reconcile with his own family at the end of Home Alone 1. But when Kevin comes face to face with the “Pigeon Lady” in Central Park, he recoils in abject horror and disgust. Kevin cannot extend to her the same learned decency and kindness he gave to the old neighbor and his own family because he does not view her the way he views these people. This woman is hardly human. This woman is homeless.

The Pigeon Lady, who is not even respected enough in Kevin’s world to have a name, lives in the park covered in pigeon shit. Kevin fears her until she saves his life, after which he is able to see her utility because she has benefitted him. We learn from The Pigeon Lady in a surprisingly insightful sequence that she has trouble connecting with people because they act as if she is not there. This is something the homeless often describe as the most degrading aspect of their plight - to be treated with such little consideration that they barely exist to people. She says she was not always homeless - that she had a family, and a house, but all of that is gone now because the people closest to her abandoned her. Paralyzed by her heartache and trauma, she lives alone with the birds in the margins of society where nobody cares if she lives or dies.

Kevin listens to her story with vague interest. He affirms that it is her fault she is like this because she refuses to open her heart to people. He claims that he understands what it’s like to be homeless because his family doesn’t pay attention to him all the time. The poor woman just accepts his lecture, which we are meant to perceive as sound advice, and then the old woman explains that good deeds makeup for bad deeds and good deeds count even more on Christmas. Kevin tells her that he will not forget her and she tells him not to make promises he won’t keep.

The ethical structure the old woman proposes is that it is never too late to stop doing bad deeds and start doing good ones. Kevin, who lives selfishly, can make the choice to be selfless at any time. As Kevin sits there in the cold with the shit-covered woman who has no place to live, he meditates on what it might mean to do a good deed. He puts the thought in the woman’s head that he will remember her. Any sensible viewer would imminently expect Kevin to be charitable towards his rescuer, but Kevin has no honor. Instead, he resolves that the best good deed he could do is get revenge on The Wet Bandits.

Of course, there is another motivation. There is a toy store who donates their holiday profits to the children’s hospital, because it is an American hospital and there is no publicly funded healthcare. The Wet Bandits are robbing the toy store, which will deprive the children’s hospital of their donation that they need to keep babies alive. Kevin realizes that part of being rich is giving away the money of the working class while taking credit and reaping the accolades for allowing it to happen.

He lures The Bandits to his rich uncle’s New York City penthouse, which is being lavishly renovated while the family vacations in Europe (as usual). He tortures The Wet Bandits and prevents them from stealing the money. Kevin takes credit for preventing the robbery and we are meant to understand that this was his “good deed” that was meant to erase his cruelty.

But what of The Pigeon Lady, whom Kevin swore he would keep in his thoughts and not forget? Well, you see, he gives her a bird ornament. You know, the woman covered in real birds that serve as her only companionship, he gives her a small toy bird. Let it be clear here that Kevin has infinite access to money. He has access to two separate residences - a five star hotel where he is staying and enjoys every luxury and the empty penthouse belonging to his uncle - and he offers no shelter to the woman. He doesn’t offer her anything to eat. He doesn’t offer to let her come back to the hotel and take a shower. He doesn’t even offer her a ride somewhere in his limo. He gives her a toy and leaves her behind forever - because she is homeless in New York City and Kevin lives in a mansion in Chicago.

Kevin is reunited with his family and is cosmically rewarded for his long string of misdeeds and receives a bounty of gifts from the toy store as his actions. Kevin’s intensely material existence continues and the rich get richer, but the nameless woman in Central Park stays cold.

Epilogue
This year on Disney+ they released another Home Alone cash-in called “Home Sweet Home Alone”, in which they did the only thing they could possibly do to make Kevin worse and turned him into a British boy. They did something else too - something that was supposed to be subversive that landed flat on its face.

In Home Sweet Home Alone, two hard on their luck parents are being forced to sell their home due to their financial difficulties. This is something they hide from even their own children, whose Christmas they are trying to preserve. The couple are played by Rob Delaney and Ellie Kemper and are portrayed as entirely affable, good natured people suffering hard times. Their plight is tragic and heartbreaking and the actors who play them are some of the most likable and charming faces imaginable. These “New Bandits” are our sympathetic leads. The New Bandits discover a box of old dolls in their house that have been in the family and find one with an unusual imperfection. They wonder if they might be able to sell them to give their kids a better Christmas.

The “Kevin” character, whose name is not Kevin but I will continue to call him Kevin, is a repugnant snot who constantly roasts everyone in his family because he hates everyone so damn much. To this Kevin, life is a dreadful stage show for him to jeer and boo from the comfort of the palace he lives in with his international family. He ends up at an open house for the home of the new bandits where Rob Delaney’s character playfully denies New Kevin a can of soda when he demands one. Kevin’s eyes fill with rage as he plots his revenge and he swipes something from the home to punish his lessers. The world belongs to him, don’t they know?

After the open house, the couple discovers that the doll with the imperfection is a legendary collector’s item worth $200,000 - a huge amount of money that could turn around their fortunes and save their family home. But when they rush to the box to retrieve the doll - it’s gone! Horrible Kevin has stolen the doll! He knows not what he’s done, but his quest to harm those around him for any perceived slight has succeeded better than he ever imagined.

Desperate to reclaim the doll and save their family and their home, the couple attempts to reclaim the doll from New Kevin. He Home Alones the shit out of them, punishing them with gruesome acts of extreme violence. In the original films, The Wet Bandits made no concessions towards wanting to murder Kevin. Harry literally says he’s going to bite Kevin’s fingers off in Home Alone 1. They are going to shoot him under a bridge in Home Alone 2. The Wet Bandits pose a severe and lethal threat to Kevin. But the New Bandits? They are just a poor couple trying to take back something that was stolen from them. And Rich British Kevin punishes them for it most horrendously and violently.

This movie understands something about Home Alone, and that’s that Kevin McCallister is evil and hates the lower class. But what it wrongfully assumes is that this is why we watch it. Home Sweet Home Alone is more of an honest take on Home Alone than I’d expect and in being so honest it explains what is so perverse about Kevin McCallister and his behavior. Home Sweet Home Alone is the mask-off movie - but I have seen through the mask for years. I have glared through its eye holes at the dark, lifeless pits behind them and seen the deep hollow wickedness of Kevin McCallister for years. I did not need Home Sweet Home Alone to spell it out for me.

The “twist” of the movie is that New Kevin did not steal the doll. He stole a can of soda. The doll was in the house all along. It has a happy ending and everyone becomes friends. The father willingly gives New Kevin a can of soda. Kevin always gets his way. The rich get richer and the rest freeze in the park.

---

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas, readers. May you hold as much hate in your heart for Kevin McCallister as he does for you and have the courage to strike him down should you ever meet one cold night in Central Park. Peace and love to all.

:wut
Where is the next page?

:hesright
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #8878 on: December 01, 2021, 03:34:48 PM »
 :social2 :social :gamergate

Nintex

• Finish the Fight