Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140606 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #38400 on: January 17, 2021, 07:39:06 PM »
it's always fan campaign SZN  :rejoice

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38401 on: January 18, 2021, 02:08:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/people/status/1351224401656754177

Guess she did not like the Snyder Cut  :ohhh
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38402 on: January 18, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »
We got a chance again boys

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:mike :social
[close]

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38403 on: January 18, 2021, 03:22:01 PM »
is she a cubcomm  :thinking

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38406 on: January 19, 2021, 06:30:25 PM »
Shit that's a hot trailer concept tho

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38407 on: January 19, 2021, 09:05:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1351582090307973120

Why
I'm very glad that this will inevitably lose a truckload of money.
Spud

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #38408 on: January 19, 2021, 09:09:41 PM »
y'all reckon willy going to fuck a oompa loompa?
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38409 on: January 20, 2021, 01:55:07 PM »
aaawww yiiisssss

First teaser released for Can’t Get You Out of My Head: An Emotional History of the Modern World, the latest series from journalist and BAFTA award-winning filmmaker, Adam Curtis. The series will premiere exclusively on BBC iPlayer on 11 February 2021.

Can’t Get You Out of My Head tells the story of how we got to the strange days we are now experiencing. And why both those in power - and we - find it so difficult to move on.

The films trace different forces across the world that have led to now, not just in the West, but in China and Russia as well. It covers a wide range - including the strange roots of modern conspiracy theories, the history of China, opium and opiods, the history of Artificial Intelligence, melancholy over the loss of empire and, love and power. And explores whether modern culture, despite its radicalism, is really just part of the new system of power.

And the films are told in a different way - they are an emotional history of what went on inside the heads of all kinds of people. Because in the age of the individual - what you felt and what you wanted and what you dreamed of were going to become the driving force across the world.

What was forgotten in that age was that much of what we feel is also formed by the society around us. Above all by the power structures. And now those structures are decaying - everywhere - their weakness and uncertainty makes us feel empty and frightened of the future.

That is what is paralysing us - and blocking us from imagining different kinds of societies and a better future

Can’t Get You Out of My Head is an epic history that shows how and why that happened. How we made this particular world. And that it was not inevitable.
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #38410 on: January 20, 2021, 02:05:30 PM »
 6 Adam Curtis docs  :win

2021 off to a bang!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38411 on: January 20, 2021, 03:04:14 PM »
"This is a story about our minds. How we must protect ourselves against our own thoughts and convictions"

*footage of The Matrix, Boris Johnson drinking a pint and ducks in a pond for no apparent reason"

"Our series of films begins in Vietnam. Where reality managed to overtake the facade and make belief world the Americans and their allies had created for themselves"

*footage of Sadam smiling, McNamara driving his car, kids walking their dog and what could possibly be a burning tree in Vietnam but also Switzerland*

:rejoice
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38412 on: January 21, 2021, 08:02:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/007/status/1352416833815633922

NO
   TIME
         TO
            RELEASE
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38413 on: January 21, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »
Next one will have been cast, shot, and released before the last Craig movie :dead

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38414 on: January 21, 2021, 08:06:06 PM »
Next one will have been cast, shot, and released before the last Craig movie :dead
MGM is for sale but apparently no one has bought it yet  :doge

I dunno, I'm fearing for the future of Mr. Bond at this point.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38415 on: January 21, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »
It’s kind of a shame the movies make so much money for them, as I think the property is prime material for a badass serial show somewhere like HBO or Netflix

chronovore

• relapsed dev

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38417 on: January 22, 2021, 12:17:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1350881488934367233

4 hours of Snyder :rejoice
Not drawing this BS out over multiple episodes :rejoice
It’s a “save the marketing department“ move. If consumers watched the first episode and then didn’t watch the remaining ones, it would be clear evidence that this was a bad move. I making it a one episode entry, they can always argue that the viewers will tune in later to watch the rest of it, because it’s four hours.

Guaranteed, this is simply positioning.

Tasty

« Reply #38418 on: January 22, 2021, 12:19:28 AM »
Bingo.

Coax

« Reply #38419 on: January 22, 2021, 01:01:12 AM »
NO
   TIME
         TO
            RELEASE

It's so strange seeing it pushed back a year and a half from its original date. I'm curious how they'll re-market it next year given the build up is kinda lost and the existing promotional media about it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38420 on: January 22, 2021, 05:07:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1352255420371447808

:usacry

Why don't they just deep fake this shit at this point :lol
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38421 on: January 22, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »
Going to watch Psyco Goreman tonight. 

edit: was really dumb.  I enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:29:32 PM by Madrun Badrun »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38422 on: January 22, 2021, 03:38:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1352255420371447808

:usacry

Why don't they just deep fake this shit at this point :lol

I need to go to some red state movie theater surrounded by boomers whooping and hollering and clapping to see this.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38423 on: January 23, 2021, 06:53:42 PM »
Re-watched Fifth Element for maybe the fifth time (hey!). Really enjoyed it this time, as I think I was hoping for a less-eurocomic plotline every other time I'd seen it. It's beautiful and dumb and makes more sense as an emotional journey rather than actual science fiction. Also, in what world does Luke Perry get a special callout credit in a movie with Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, and Ian Fucking Holm?

Watching DOOM (2005) with consistently awesome Karl Urban, can't-decide-on-an-accent Rosamund Pike, and "this predates his ability to save any movie" Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. When groping for a means to make a movie about a videogame about a single marine destroying hordes of demons, Director Andrzej Bartkowiak decided to just poorly ape almost every beat of the movie Aliens, where a whole group of soldiers spend most of the movie tracking down the source of an incident rather than fighting.

Speaking of movies that The Rock can't save (for me) I got about 45 minutes into Hobbs and Shaw (Japanese title: WILD SPEED: SUPER COMBO) before I couldn't take the stupid any more. I'm always up for the level of childish joy afforded by the other fast-and-furious films, but this was missing some sort of internal coherence that those other Hot Wheels inspired movies have. Just super-dumb.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38424 on: January 23, 2021, 08:35:38 PM »
Watched Constantine and hadn't seen it in a long time. I like the look of this film and the setting. The CG hasn't really aged well (as with some other mid-2000's movies) and I think this would be a movie that would benefit from a modern day reboot. (considering the ending, they could actually do a sequel with Keanu and Weisz regardless). I had forgotten that Peter Stormare who was part of the John Wick cast also shows up in this movie. Although it can be messy and convoluted at times it's also a fun and interesting watch that was made before every comic book movie had to end in a massive CG fight. Part comic book movie, part detective film noir.

Constantine also reminded me again about the bad luck Rachel Weisz had in her career and how underrated she is. Despite doing the excellent Enemy at the Gates around the same time it didn't land her a lot of big roles.
Instead she got supporting roles in The Mummy and Constantine (which never got a sequel). When she finallly got to do Bourne, it ended up being the Jeremy Renner film but she didn't make the cut for Dark Knight Rises
Then she started doing more drama and horror until she finally got an award for a TV show in 2018 I think and now she's (finally) entering the Marvel universe with Black Widow.
I feel like she could've easily been cast for Bond movies and all that if she hadn't been tied to some big flops.

Underrated
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38425 on: January 23, 2021, 08:51:54 PM »
Man I was so hype for Constantine back in the day. The style still holds up. Keanu is great. Best Lucifer and Gabriel in fiction.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38426 on: January 23, 2021, 09:03:18 PM »
Man I was so hype for Constantine back in the day. The style still holds up. Keanu is great. Best Lucifer and Gabriel in fiction.
It's sort of Blade Runner esque I would say. Putting the focus entirely on Angela and Constantine while everything else plays out in the background makes it work.
Also none of those lengthy explanatory dialogues, when Angela asks how things work Constantine simply shows her. That makes for a much more effective way of story telling as she (and by extension the audience) doesn't know what's going to happen before it does and can genuinely be surprised by events.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38427 on: January 23, 2021, 09:16:55 PM »
It's sort of Blade Runner esque I would say. Putting the focus entirely on Angela and Constantine while everything else plays out in the background makes it work.
Also none of those lengthy explanatory dialogues, when Angela asks how things work Constantine simply shows her. That makes for a much more effective way of story telling as she (and by extension the audience) doesn't know what's going to happen before it does and can genuinely be surprised by events.

You're right, and while back in the day I think a blockbuster film (especially comic book adaptation) would get dinged for focusing on the "lower-powered" characters in comparison to the "epic struggle," it worked for Constantine I think because: a) both "sides" were both good and balanced well, and b) it's only a ding when used as an excuse to cheap-out, and Constantine had a visibly high budget.

And it knew when to use it, the Hell scenes are still dope. :lawd

Bebpo

« Reply #38428 on: January 24, 2021, 01:31:33 AM »
Watched Psycho Goreman

It was...a good movie? Color me surprised  :lol
It's dumb and should be bad, but it's pretty consistently funny and it somehow all works?

I was mixed on The Void and didn't see his Leprechaun Returns, but Psycho Goreman feels like Marvel could poach him to do something similar to Guardians (he's definitely channeling some James Gunn) if he's just willing to tone down his gore because his stuff is reaaaaaal gory, which ain't gonna fly for Marvel. But the humor is pretty similar to Guardians of the Galaxy in Psycho Goreman and the costume and practical effects are really good for the budget.

Thumbs up.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38429 on: January 24, 2021, 06:39:47 AM »
Constantine also reminded me again about the bad luck Rachel Weisz had in her career and how underrated she is.

post-#metoo, you have to wonder about 'bad luck' in actress careers versus just getting stealth blacklisted for not sucking old man dick

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38430 on: January 24, 2021, 07:13:47 AM »
She was in some big movies.  ???
The Mummy was a popular blockbuster, and recently with Lanthimos in Lobster and The Favourite, which won an Oscar (not her, but still).

Not everyone can be Meryl Streep-level of stardom.

Also watch her in Agorà. really nice movie, and she was great in it.
I think the first time i saw Oscar Isaac, too.

Tasty

« Reply #38431 on: January 24, 2021, 08:41:18 AM »
She was also da green witch in the last Oz 8)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38432 on: January 24, 2021, 11:27:19 AM »

You're all forgetting her best role

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38433 on: January 24, 2021, 01:08:42 PM »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #38434 on: January 24, 2021, 02:26:41 PM »
As someone that liked Kong and liked 50% of KOTM, that trailer looks pretty terrible. No wonder they waited two months before release to drop any footage. Tonally seems bad.

Also, they really shrunk Godzilla down and sized up Kong. Zilla looks lame af.

nudemacusers

« Reply #38435 on: January 24, 2021, 02:37:14 PM »
As someone that liked Kong and liked 50% of KOTM, that trailer looks pretty terrible. No wonder they waited two months before release to drop any footage. Tonally seems bad.

Also, they really shrunk Godzilla down and sized up Kong. Zilla looks lame af.
i hope it flops tbh
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38436 on: January 24, 2021, 11:15:33 PM »
KOTM was one of the worst movies i've seen in the last 5 years tbh.
Just a miserable experience, but i also disliked Kong, so...

Then again, one is armed with a nuclear laser, the other with impenetrable Plot Armor, we know who wins.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38437 on: January 25, 2021, 01:24:32 AM »

You're all forgetting her best role

I really love that movie.

Bebpo

« Reply #38438 on: January 25, 2021, 03:05:26 AM »
Yeah Brothers Bloom is great. Rian Johnson is probably the best 2000s era newer writer/director.

And Weisz has always been great. She reminds me of Winona Ryder a lot. Also her Snow White photoshoot is pretty great if you haven't seen it.

Tasty

« Reply #38439 on: January 27, 2021, 09:26:43 AM »

Lol they heavily downplaying Dune now compared to past spots (maybe more a release timing thing I guess.)

Was so hyped to have just 1 second of Matrix footage but no :rage

It still got my kinda hyped tho :-[

Bebpo

« Reply #38440 on: January 27, 2021, 03:25:41 PM »

Lol they heavily downplaying Dune now compared to past spots (maybe more a release timing thing I guess.)

Was so hyped to have just 1 second of Matrix footage but no :rage

It still got my kinda hyped tho :-[

I mean they're still showing Dune footage, so it seems like it's still included in Day 1 streaming.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38441 on: January 27, 2021, 07:30:49 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Possession_of_Hannah_Grace

There is so much voicing aloud of details that could have just been shown, not just people saying things they're clearly feeling, but even an unrealistically thorough elevator floor computer announcement that somehow extends into the entire morgue. The telegraphing of plot points is ridiculous. Not just Chekov's Gun, but his holster, bullets, fireplace, fireplace runner, and ash-guard. Really awkward. It's a shame a competent Director of Photography and reasonably skilled actors are wasted on this.

It's not horrible — but it's within spitting distance of it while somehow being otherwise within reach of competent. The core of a decent story is also present, but maybe this resulted from over-reliance on focus testing, re-shoots, or voiceover. Feels like it's genre-lost.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38442 on: January 27, 2021, 07:53:33 PM »
I thought The Predator was really good once I realized it was meant to be a parody of the franchise.  It also is pretty interesting because it walks the line of parody so well, especially at the beginning

and then Olivia Munn shoots herself in the foot with a tranq gun and takes a nose dive off the top of a bus :lol
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38443 on: January 28, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »

Just what you'd expect from the Masters, Anno-san and Higuchi-san. :rejoice
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:39:15 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Tasty

« Reply #38444 on: January 29, 2021, 05:52:40 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/friday-the-13th-producer-sues-warner-bros-paramount-for-profits

On the one hand, yet another obstacle between us and a new movie :nope

On the other hand, gives me more time to perfect my own take on the series :curious

Tasty

« Reply #38445 on: January 29, 2021, 08:42:27 PM »
There's nothing stopping you from making a movie about a serial killer named Mason in a lacrosse mask killing pot smoking, sex having teens or young adults at a camp.

True, but certain meta aspects of the story (and winks to fans) wouldn't work as well. I've thought about it and gone back and forth over the years, and right now I'm doing it as a F13 spec purely for the trunk / "portfolio".

If I ever get to make it some day, cool. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38447 on: January 30, 2021, 03:20:14 PM »
WangdaVision
©@©™

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38448 on: January 31, 2021, 02:29:38 AM »
Finally got around to watching Phantom Thread.  Excellent movie, what a twisted girl that Alma is. :shaq

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38449 on: January 31, 2021, 07:47:53 AM »
Watched Baby Driver with a friend because that was the only thing short enough so he could be back home in time for the curfew.  :doge

One of my recent favorite easy going action films I guess, you can watch this anytime with anyone. Some heartfelt moments (Joe, Deborah), some cool action and of course Jamie Foxx, being Jamie Foxx.
Very creative use of licensed music and because it's an Edgar Wright movie a lot of time has been spend to give it a distinct look.

Although I'm still not sure if that ending is a dream in his head or if that actually happens  :thinking
🤴

« Reply #38450 on: January 31, 2021, 08:47:27 AM »
I'm excited to see Godzilla vs. Kong, but the trailer was godawful. Wooden Actors, Pointless Exposition: The Trailer, they should have called it.

"Kong bows to no one!" -- Except to a child, and also he's in chains.

"Godzilla is out there, hurting people, and we don't know why!" -- This is possibly the stupidest line of dialogue since "Let them fight!" Godzilla the gigantic monster is hurting people? With its giant body and atomic breath? Hurting people?

And Millard Fillmore Booby Bonilla Downtown Julie Brown: There's something provoking Godzilla! We don't see it!

What a ridiculous and wholly unnecessary way to ruin your monster movie.

Give us some angry rap music and 30 seconds of punching. End trailer.

Tasty

« Reply #38451 on: January 31, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »
Agreed, bad trailer for what should be a decent popcorn flick.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38452 on: January 31, 2021, 10:03:30 AM »
Saw Nightbreed first time since I was a kid.  What a great movie.  It really needs like a 3 season netflix adaptation. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38453 on: January 31, 2021, 10:14:53 AM »

Only quote you need:
https://twitter.com/armonz2408/status/1186628103554191360

G The Resurrected

« Reply #38454 on: January 31, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »
In & Of Itself (Hulu)

I’d suggest not reading much about it and just watch it. I’m still haunted by it days later, it’s an experience.

I understand all of the mechanics of the “show” but that doesn’t detract from the message at the end of the day. It was an amazing performance and well worth the emotional tax. I fucking cried so fucking much. :'(
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38455 on: January 31, 2021, 01:21:54 PM »
I'm excited to see Godzilla vs. Kong, but the trailer was godawful. Wooden Actors, Pointless Exposition: The Trailer, they should have called it.

"Kong bows to no one!" -- Except to a child, and also he's in chains.

"Godzilla is out there, hurting people, and we don't know why!" -- This is possibly the stupidest line of dialogue since "Let them fight!" Godzilla the gigantic monster is hurting people? With its giant body and atomic breath? Hurting people?

And Millard Fillmore Booby Bonilla Downtown Julie Brown: There's something provoking Godzilla! We don't see it!

What a ridiculous and wholly unnecessary way to ruin your monster movie.

In my headcanon, there were no humans in the trailer and Rob Zombie's Superbeast was playing the entire time.
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38456 on: January 31, 2021, 01:25:18 PM »
In & Of Itself (Hulu)

I’d suggest not reading much about it and just watch it. I’m still haunted by it days later, it’s an experience.

I understand all of the mechanics of the “show” but that doesn’t detract from the message at the end of the day. It was an amazing performance and well worth the emotional tax. I fucking cried so fucking much. :'(
[close]

"A combination of monologue, one-man show, conceptual art piece, and doorway to radical intimacy"

So it's basically my four least favourite fucking things rolled into one. Plus the guy is a magician, so five things.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38457 on: February 01, 2021, 07:19:24 PM »
Found some nice 4K Blu Ray Steelbook deals on the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes films and V for Vendetta  :rejoice
Still looking for the LOTR one that I missed last christmas  :'(
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38458 on: February 03, 2021, 11:48:37 PM »
Tombstone – A summer popcorn flick with a bit more heart to it and stakes. Several memorable lines and scenes. Really neat cast. Thought Val Kilmer was particularly strong.

At times it’s a strange mix of happy go lucky “we are suave gentlemen who know exactly what we are doing and everything goes our way as if it was fate”, until that luck does eventually run out. Blatant good vs. evil. It’s part of what gives off that popcorn summer flick vibe for an action movie. It’s heavy on bravado. In a good way. It’s like what you imagined as a kid about the wild west when it came to good guys vs bad guys. It’s slightly goofy and over the top like a theater play rather than fully played straight.

The revenge tour is pretty great. Shootout at the OK Corral was great. There were two odd scenes that I don’t know if Kurt Russel played them weird or it was just off directing. One when he is in the rain covered in blood. Just how he plays it seems almost out of character. And then in the river during the revenge tour where he just goes all Rambo and keeps saying “no, no” like some idiot. I started to laugh at that scene. Pretty sure I was meant to think “damn, Wyatt is a bad ass”. The action scenes are usually rather entertaining, but sometimes during the montages they almost seem a little too abrupt and not letting enough action flow. But it gets the point across. Shout out to some of the nighttime scenes in terms of composition. Really nice. And then the view when our revenge boys are at some other stable somewhere talking to another group of do gooders. That look into the distance was superb.

I watched the Blu Ray version which is the theatrical cut. I learned about a director’s cut that is only about 5 minutes longer and I wish they included that in the Blu Ray release. 2 of the 3 scenes I think add some more context for things that left me going “so what happened to her?” and “why was that dude someplace and now dead?” The other deleted scene is just more Wyatt and his girlfriend fussing over her drug abuse which is shown 2 or three times in the theatrical cut. So that I don’t really mind missing.

It’s a nice blockbuster with a little bit of that grand wild west American mythos wrapped in one. I’m your Huckleberry ;)

------

The Goonies – My childhood was in the burbs. Surrounded by forest. Kids all over the place. The idea of going a on a grand adventure and investigating your surroundings in hope for something interesting to happen is very nostalgic.

This movie is playing into that and then turns into a Universal Studios ride about halfway through. And I enjoyed it. Oozing that 80s kids movie vibe, but also being a little messed up and having some adult language or themes peppered in. In a way sort of more believable that these kids and teens would speak like that. Some questionable things that likely wouldn’t fly today, but not something I would hold against a movie from that time. Doesn’t ruin the experience, but just being aware that sensibilities have changed in decades since. The biggest flaw to me was the running time. Cut 20 minutes and you wouldn’t lose anything in terms of character development (which goes out the window once we hop on the Universal Studios ride part of the movie. Not literally. I just mean the feeling of it.) I mean it’s a simple and shallow movie. That’s fine too as I think the strength is just the kids being who they are. You feel like you could see your own friends and acquaintances in these characters to some degree.

You know what though. Corey Feldman. Kinda sucks. I thought that maybe it’s just him now being this kooky musician way over his head, but even as a child actor I shrug at his performance here. And why does the main dad who is going to lose his house look like a Who from Whoville? I’ll have to look. Maybe he was in The Grinch for all I know.

The main baddies I liked as our antagonists. Particularly the evil mom and the one son who likes to sing a lot. The deformed son… yeah I think that would be a character that would need to be revised if it was made today haha, but on the inside he’s stellar and I like his tag team with Chunk in the movie. Chunk kicks ass.

Fun movie, hella nostalgic in terms of remembering my own childhood in a roundabout way. Just needed to be edited down to a shorter running time as it loses steam during the loooooong chase that is the second half of the movie.

edit: minor spelling edit

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:33:47 PM by EchoRin »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #38459 on: February 04, 2021, 08:37:31 AM »
I posted this about Tombstone a month ago:

I rewatched Tombstone for the first time in about 25 years. I remember loving it, or at least the Doc Holliday parts. I had forgotten how overwrought and corny the drama was in it. The death scenes in particular were like a throwback to 1930’s Hollywood. It was comical. Obviously, you overlook those parts and it’s just a fantastic distilled Western. But it really could’ve been so much more.

That's my take on the "out of place" scenes in Tombstone. I think they were paying homage to the old Westerns.