Poll

When will Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time be released?

3 (23.1%)
Before 2029
3 (23.1%)
Maybe Next Decade
5 (38.5%)
Never
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: You know, Shinji, we really are the End of Evangelion.  (Read 75672 times)

Bebpo

Re: Great news, Glen! Evangelion is available on Netflix now!
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2019, 04:03:30 AM »
Rewatched last 30 mins of EoE tonight.

Still boss  :lawd :tauntaun

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2019, 04:47:56 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I downloaded an AMV based on this fight over a metered 56k line. It was worth it. :gun

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #242 on: June 27, 2019, 05:14:51 AM »
I downloaded an AMV based on this fight over a metered 56k line. It was worth it. :gun

This thread is better than any Ronito confession thread.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #243 on: June 27, 2019, 05:52:28 AM »
Can we get back to posting memes or talking about Nadesico?
itm

« Reply #244 on: June 27, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
While answering an ad in Animage magazine calling for animators for Hayao Miyazaki's 1984 sophomore feature Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Anno would impress Miyazaki so much that he was put in charge of one of the most difficult sequences in the movie: the God Warrior's attack sequence. He would subsequently spend almost every waking hour at Studio Topcraft's offices for the duration of his involvement (the film's complete production would run roughly nine months, and be fraught with borderline-disasters and complications), and would grow so close with Miyazaki that their friendship endures to the present day.

Anno the GOAT. :whew

Anno made a short for the Ghibli Museum, too. The Invention of Destruction in the Imaginary Machines. It was showing in a little film box when I went there in 2006, and a lot of artwork from it was on display there and it's detailed in the big book I bought at the museum. I think I watched it, but honestly had no idea Anno was behind it until after I left the museum.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:36:52 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #245 on: June 27, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
I like the episode where Shinji and Asuka have to train with DDR.

I think it's my favourite episode, really.

Also, something I'm a bit confused on, it seems Anno took the swerve into moving away from the mythology angle into exploring depression in the last few episodes "midway through development".

Is there any interviews out there on how late in production it was decided on? It seems wild to see how well they appropriated the reoccurring scenes in the last few episodes if they really did it in the 11th hour.

I'm sure an EvaHead has some interview ready ? But I don't think the switch was that drastic or sudden at the production level. The tone doesn't so much shift than drift. My fanwank is that narrative expediency and budget issues (perhaps in part caused by a change in priorities) accounts for quite a bit in the individual pacing of episodes getting a bit erratic towards the end.

This talks about it a bit.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-06-17/hideaki-anno-before-evangelion/.147940
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-06-19/hideaki-anno-after-evangelion/.148019
野球

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:53:47 AM by toku »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #249 on: June 27, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2019, 08:05:18 PM »

i wish that i could turn back time,
'cause now the guilt is all mine.
can't live without the trust from those you love.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2019, 08:18:24 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot we were talking about anime.

Misato best girl, EASY

BEER

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[official media]
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2019, 04:21:24 PM »
I like the episode where Shinji and Asuka have to train with DDR.

I think it's my favourite episode, really.

Also, something I'm a bit confused on, it seems Anno took the swerve into moving away from the mythology angle into exploring depression in the last few episodes "midway through development".

Is there any interviews out there on how late in production it was decided on? It seems wild to see how well they appropriated the reoccurring scenes in the last few episodes if they really did it in the 11th hour.

I'm sure an EvaHead has some interview ready ? But I don't think the switch was that drastic or sudden at the production level. The tone doesn't so much shift than drift. My fanwank is that narrative expediency and budget issues (perhaps in part caused by a change in priorities) accounts for quite a bit in the individual pacing of episodes getting a bit erratic towards the end.

This talks about it a bit.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-06-17/hideaki-anno-before-evangelion/.147940
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-06-19/hideaki-anno-after-evangelion/.148019

Oh man the Sarin gas attacks again. The Kobe earthquake and Sarin attacks are often invoked for why a lot of creators toned down the massive apocalyptic fetish of 80-90's manga and anime (most notably Akira and everything Otomo). They didn't find that so rad when facing the real life incarnation they possibly influenced. IIRC set designers for Godzilla also visited post-quake Kobe for documentation and you see keiju eigas aiming at being grittier shortly thereafter.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #253 on: June 28, 2019, 05:33:13 PM »
The scene where Shinji gets a boner in the hot spring and Pen Pen notices it is kind of weird IMO.

shosta

« Reply #254 on: June 28, 2019, 08:10:49 PM »
I keep putting on kom susser tod :beli
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #255 on: June 28, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »
From personal experience, that's not a good sign.

You ok man?

shosta

« Reply #256 on: June 28, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
I know what you mean but I'm just playing it because it's good
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »

shosta

« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »
When Shinji rescues Rei the same way that Gendo rescued Rei. :whew

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2019, 06:13:39 PM »
So Netflix removed the Italian dub from Evangelion, due to the backlash, and they say on their facebook page that they're "fixing it" (and the subtitles).
I hope this will address the almost unintelligible syntax and grammatical problems more than specific nitpicking about this or that term being changed ('cause some people bitched that they changed "Angel" into "Apostle" or some shit, but i don't care about that stuff).

I'm glad it wasn't just me going crazy though, i had to stop watching it, because it felt like Google translate level of weirdness at times.
I read that even the voice actors wanted to walk out mid recording, because the text made no sense to them.  :lol

(BTW this was directly translated by the Japanese, from the same guy translating all Ghibli movies, and who did the 90's Eva translation too, so i dunno wtf happened).

Kara

« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2019, 10:59:33 PM »
The stretch of episodes 7 through 9 is honestly unbeatable stuff. :whoo :whew :lawd

Could do without a little of the perv stuff though. :doge
[close]

shosta

« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2019, 01:44:49 AM »
Comparing the Netflix dub and sub - the dub is so much better. Funimation dubs were completely unlistenable. The Netflix dub also totally fixes the stilted speech in the subs. I tried watching with subtitles on for a few scenes with the dubbed audio and some of the sentences are truly bizarre. Watch with dubs.
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2019, 03:36:50 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2019, 04:23:48 AM »
Dissolving into the LCL is maybe taking fan adulation of Evangelion a bit too far, Glen.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
Comparing the Netflix dub and sub - the dub is so much better. Funimation dubs were completely unlistenable. The Netflix dub also totally fixes the stilted speech in the subs. I tried watching with subtitles on for a few scenes with the dubbed audio and some of the sentences are truly bizarre. Watch with dubs.

ADV dubbed the original; Funimation has only handled the Rebuild movies. The latter have most of the same cast as the original ADV dub, but much better direction. (Plus, the VAs had grown a lot since then too.)

How does the Netflix dub compare to the Rebuild dubs?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2019, 10:13:16 AM »
Pretty dumb take, but hey whatever floats her boat.

« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »

ADV dubbed the original; Funimation has only handled the Rebuild movies. The latter have most of the same cast as the original ADV dub, but much better direction. (Plus, the VAs had grown a lot since then too.)

How does the Netflix dub compare to the Rebuild dubs?

Netflix is better.

Rebuild made the mistake, at least in the first one, of largely mimicking the old adv performances, including the straight up errors they made with it.  So while it may have gotten better upon the divergence, it's much too "informed by the original dub" in both scripting and performance.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #268 on: July 01, 2019, 06:47:33 PM »

you're a dumb take
◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #269 on: July 01, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »

It's a bit of reactionary frustration on her part probably but I think there's some truth to the "fandom" never being happy and being overly smug and dogmatic both in interpreting a work & quick at disparaging technicians and artists despite very little expertise in how the sausage is made.
In particular with a show like Evangelion where the engagement from fans can get extreme.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2019, 10:43:22 PM »
went to netflix and the first thing popped up was evangelion taking up the entire screen.

gotta admit I was very nostalgic. Reminded me of my friend and I trading anime dvds in 2001. He got an evangelion dvd a week, and I got a Kenshin dvd. We'd trade. It took a few weeks to get through Evangelion because we were watching one dvd a week. I, of course, taped all of it to vhs just like I did the Cowboy Bebop dvds.

tempted to rewatch because it makes me nostalgic for the Suncoast anime days, but...

:larry
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2019, 10:49:14 PM »
Get in the robot queue, Cindi.

Himu

« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2019, 10:58:34 PM »
Evangelion is why I finally got my own VCR btw. :aah

In 2000 I picked up the Evangelion VHS from Suncoast. People online were talking about this crazy mecha anime and I was a fan of Gundam. Evangelion was the *it* anime before Love Hina tainted all of us with its harem degeneracy. I didn't have a VCR and my parents were in the room with the tv so I watched it in front of them, not giving a fuck and marveling at the Eva-01 freak out. :lawd

My parents saw first hand the demonic JAPANIMATION I was into. My dad already knew because I made him watch my Escaflowne tape, but this my moms first ride.

"Don't forget about fanservice~!"

My mom was scared as I was smiling gleefully at Unit-01 massacre that poor Angel.

I got a VCR that Christmas a few weeks later. lmao

Basically "please never put that demonic videos in front of me ever again, please do it in your own room!"

I understand you Shinji, I understand you. :tocry
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #273 on: July 01, 2019, 11:03:48 PM »

:lawd
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
I waited until my parents went to sleep to watch my demonic japanimation [that I taped off the Scifi Channel].
dog

Tasty

« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
My dad and I watched DBZ on Toonami together before dinner every weekday. :)

Himu

« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2019, 11:15:09 AM »
My dad and I watched DBZ on Toonami together before dinner every weekday. :)

So did my dad I. But there’s an ocean between eva and dbz
IYKYK

Kara

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »
Don't give Hideo ideas :lol

Kara

« Reply #281 on: July 02, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
The only anime on VHS I watched was Macross Plus, which now that I think about it shares with Eva what Esch posted earlier: humanity has reached unimaginable levels of technological progress and withstood cataclysmic events but they still have to do competitive bids with an arms industry for next generation special forces multirole combat aircraft and the decision of whether or not we should be beholden to artificial intelligence was left to the anarchy of production until it predictably got out of hand.

Kara

« Reply #282 on: July 02, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »
Yeah, that's in the episode 7. :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #283 on: July 02, 2019, 02:07:20 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Tasty

« Reply #285 on: July 02, 2019, 06:40:27 PM »
I can see it.

shosta

« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »
This run of songs :lawd

[close]

[close]
"Sever the nerve connection!" "It's too late!" :busta
"Shinji, move!" :notlikethis
"Unit-01 has reactivated!" :gladbron
每天生气

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2019, 11:41:22 PM »
Never seen this show before but now I'm like 15 episodes in. I'd say like 80% of each episode is slice of life horny teenage boy scenes, some surprisingly fun action scenes that involve giant robots walking like an old man stabbing giant aliens, and maybe like 1% has to do with the origins of the story and where all the religious symbolism comes from.

I'm gonna finish the series once and then rewatch it stoned in the original Japanese. It's clear the writers intended it that way.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2019, 09:20:49 AM »
The oyster bar I drank at in Japan for a run of 4 nights with a group of friends was a blast, but all 4 nights they were playing the Rebuild movies on repeat on a projector despite the clientele.

Q's intro must be a blast to drink to. :aah
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2019, 02:05:20 AM »

Stand in reverence.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2019, 02:49:20 AM »
Friendly Reminder: The span of time between the first episode of Evangelion and Evangelion 1.0 was ~12 years. This is almost the same amount of time that's passed between Evangelion 1.0's release and now.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #292 on: July 06, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »

Starts after ~4:00.

A mission involing Ritsuko and Mari "reviving" Paris(?) so they can access "Euro NERV." Gonna need to see a fan breakdown of this one. :lol

But it confirms the "reddenning" for lack of a better term from Near-Third Impact is somehow reversible by humans. Which makes it curious that the Japanese NERV HQ was still affected by it. :thinking
[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2019, 02:35:59 PM »
I hate the Rebuild movies. Just so much dumb looking shit.

Tasty

« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2019, 04:09:46 PM »
Kaworu getting one episode :nope

Kaworu getting a whole movie :ohyeah

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2019, 04:32:47 PM »
I hate the Rebuild movies. Just so much dumb looking shit.

Yes.
It's glorious.  :lawd
ὕβρις

Rahxephon91

« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2019, 06:36:11 PM »
I don't think I'm the kind of fan that thinks series have to be one way and then gets mad when they don't do what I want them to.

But Evangelion is kind of a special exception. The Rebuild movies just aren't Evangelion to me. I'd probably like them if I never saw the tv show.

And man do I dislike Mari.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:19:38 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2019, 10:19:23 PM »
I wish Glen were alive to see this.
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #298 on: July 07, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »
Up to episode 20 so far.
I'm glad they stopped recycling the "pervert don't look at my underwear" joke, after the 20th time.  :doge

Aside from that though, it started to get pretty cool, in these last few episodes, with the 01 going on all 4s acting like a monkey, and eating that other angel.  :leon

Yeah some of the monologuing in the dream sequences is overwritten, like many anime can be, but it's bearable so far.
It's got a cool atmosphere, tbh.

I wish there was a bit more world building when it came to anything outside of the GeoFront though (or even the GeoFront itself) a thousand shots of screens and escalators are cool, but i'm not quite sure where and how the population goes about in this world, since anything outside of the homebase and school, is barely implied at best.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »
Haven't watched animu in like forever.

Watched 3 episodes of this.

- Sorta reminds me of Nier Automata with the weird face on the angel and the shots of the destroyed cities  8)
- Episodes are short and sweet (20 - 30 min tops) easy to digest during breaks  :)
- Misato is total animu waifu  :heart

So far so good, would weeaboo again
🤴