Author Topic: Depression/mental health thread  (Read 107953 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: Depression/mental health thread
« Reply #720 on: August 16, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
Always take care of yourself, bebs! I tell all my friends to stop reading the news if the news is depressing. One of the best things you can do for your mental health.
每天生气

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #721 on: August 16, 2020, 02:11:45 PM »
I never read Era ever. 8) I'm on twitter more than is healthy but I'm kind of just numb to shit at this point.
Hi

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #722 on: August 16, 2020, 02:16:13 PM »
Yeah, I just stick to the few community threads I'm a part of on Era. After seeing that was just a continuation of GAF at its end I kinda zoned out and leaned heavily into a few of the discords those communities had set up. But then discord got a little addictive so I scaled that way back. The Bore seemed like the nice pace that I was looking for, for the most part. So I spend most of my posting time here.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #723 on: August 16, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
Going to take a break from reading Era and FB. FB is nothing but a million posts on all the terrible things going on in the world/USA, and Era is nothing but doom & gloom nihilism lately about the world/USA news. The combination of which is triggering some existential depression going on.

It's important to stay abreast of what's going on in the world, but I just need a break for a week or so.
Sounds good, just chill out and play some video games breh or watch more positive YouTube channels.
The world will still be here next week. A lot of news doesn't really matter.

Reading era indeed is very bad for your health, I rarely go that place anymore
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #724 on: August 16, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »
I tried to follow a bunch of food based accounts on Twitter to drown out all the depressing real work news, but they never show up on my feed. I think Twitter is intentionally trying to hurt us.
:O

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #725 on: August 19, 2020, 07:38:40 AM »
Hello queens.

I'm too much of a coward to actually do anything, so do not worry, but overwhelming feeling of wanting to just die the last 24 hours. Been having huge fights with everyone around me from parents, friends to even my boss and Co workers. Just feels like I'm beyond caring about anything at this point. Can't find any peace anywhere, and the smallest things about people is setting me off into a rage. Doesn't feel sustainable.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #726 on: August 19, 2020, 10:10:00 AM »
 :(

Give yourself a meal you really like or chill out with a few favorite drinks while listening to some music/watching film/playing vidya. Hope that when you wake up tomorrow you will feel more positive.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:38:50 AM by EchoRin »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #727 on: August 19, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »
Seems you're self-aware enough to not fall into a hole or burn bridges. It's not your fault life is screwing you over. It's OK to ask for space and step away when people won't give you any.

bluemax

« Reply #728 on: August 20, 2020, 12:33:23 AM »
Went to visit my new PCP for the first time this past Friday. After talking it over with her I decided to switch meds up. The anxiety levels I've felt this year are unlike any other year of my life. Obviously there's been a lot of shit going on (painful breakup, drama with my previous work place, global pandemic), but I feel like when you rate yourself as suffering from severe anxiety, and you take stock of the whole year and realize there hasn't been more than a few day stretch where I haven't felt this way... it is probably time to change. And it isn't like I haven't been trying other stuff, I do therapy, I journal, I have done some meditation, albeit not consistent. But, I just feel like my baseline is all screwed up.

It sucks, 8 months ago I was doing a half dose of the meds I've been on and my life seemed like it was completely on the rise. Now I'm trying to just get a stable baseline again. The medication I have been on (wellbutrin), is one I switched to after talking to my previous doctor about how I felt the previous meds (zoloft) were totally messing me up sexually. And while the wellbutrin made this aspect somewhat better, apparently it does not treat anxiety as well. But I guess if I have to pick between being able to have an orgasm slightly more often (and still less than most people) and not feeling like a complete emotional wreck every day, I'll choose the latter for now.

Predictably of course, the last two days have been unpleasant as I taper off the old meds and on to the new ones. I don't think I had this issue when switching from zoloft to wellbutrin, but at least I've experienced these feelings in the past, so I know it is temporary enough and don't totally lose my shit.

I also got a referral to a psychiatrist since I've never actually spoken to one. And to a urologist, just to see if my issues are all brain chemistry related or not. And the doctor prescribed me a secondary med that is a take as needed for anxiety. I forget the name, something with a p, that is supposedly safer than xanax.

Somewhere out there is an alternate universe me who didn't fuck things up to start the year and still has a wonderful and caring girlfriend so he doesn't need all these meds, sigh.

I've forgotten to update, but I spoke with the Psychiatrist and she agreed that I am doing the right things for myself and that I made the correct choices on medication. I also went to the urologist and they were pretty helpful with everything as well. In general things have been a lot better the past month or so. My brain feels a lot calmer than it was the past 7 month or so. I'm not constantly panicking, I'm not getting into thought loops, I'm not excessively fixated on things. I am still depressed and sad and have issues, but my baseline feels like it has readjusted a lot.

The timing of my trip to my PCP was really good as it came a day after a really bad stress/panic day and it helped me to feel the need to ask for help. I've struggled most of my life with expressing myself and especially with asking for help and I think that therapy has helped me have this ability. While those months before I switched meds were awful, I am glad they were only months and not years.
NO

Akala

• Easy Victor

Bebpo

« Reply #730 on: September 05, 2020, 02:02:00 AM »
I've been having really bad extreme fatigue/tiredness in the evenings lately. Like feels like heavy bags under my eyes and don't have the energy most nights and even on some days and just need to lay down and rest for a bit. Almost like extreme food coma and happens a few hours after lunch and then after dinner/exercise.

I thought it could be depression since I am at least somewhat depressed, but now I'm starting to think it's vitamin D deficiency after months of no sunlight since Covid quarantine. I only see the sun maybe 1 day a week these days and I looked through my daily diet stuff and I'm only get 66% of the DV of Vitamin D (50% from a multi-vitamin, 16% from yogurt drinks) and that's been going on for like 5-6 months at 66% of recommended Vit D. I was drinking some Vit D fortified orange juice early on but I had to cut it because of the acidity, which might explain this coming on now vs earlier in the quarantine.

I also though it could be diabetes but I'm not hitting any of the other symptoms and I'm in decent shape and exercising daily and eating healthy (although undereating and not getting enough calories for sure). I think it's probably lack of Vit D + Depression.

Gonna try to add more Vit D in, unfortunately looking it up it supposedly takes about 5 weeks of adding in Vit D for your body to get 100% back to normal if you're deficient.

Bebpo

« Reply #731 on: September 19, 2020, 02:38:18 AM »
Was/am very depressed with RBG passing and the implications. Was really tempted to indulge in self-destructive behavior with some alcohol or drinking a nice cup of coffee and staying up until 6am but stopped myself and did some exercise and baked some cookies to eat over the weekend instead.

Still am depressed and splurge bought some videogames to feel better (Suda51's Fire Pro World DLC story, Hades, Roki). Installed them but didn't play them.  :'(

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #732 on: September 19, 2020, 05:45:57 AM »
Suda51's Fire Pro World DLC story

Not sure if that's the best thing to play. Seeing that it's a sequel to the story that dealt with suicide.

Bebpo

« Reply #733 on: September 19, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »
Haha, good point there.

Though if I never actually play these games I guess it doesn't matter  :brain

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #734 on: September 19, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »
Installing the video game is half the journey, you have nearly succeeded and one day soon you will hit that play button :playa
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #735 on: October 20, 2020, 02:14:21 AM »
liver pruritus is back in full force recently making me unable to sleep, and this kind of sleep deprivation is truly making my brain melt. my doctor referred me to a psychologist, for 5 free consultations so far, but not sure what that will really help. better than doing nothing i guess, and maybe it can help me actually stay asleep when i do manage to fall asleep, if he can help me worry a bit less. as it is right now, i can sleep for an hour or two and wake up wide awake, despite obviously being tired as fuck. only phenobarbital helps me sleep, and that is not really something you want to be chewing down every day. first time ever actually talking to a psychologist though, even if people will say i should have done it long ago, so a bit excited to see what it's even all about. in my mind it's just dr melfi and tony talking about the recycling business.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #736 on: October 20, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
I see and hear things that aren't there, but there are varying levels to it. after a few days of little to no sleep I experience full psychosis, putting me in a different reality. the medication(Olanzapine) they gave me during my inpatient stay def helps me get better, deeper sleep. it's also keeping my out of control sex drive in check somehow  :doge it's still there, just isn't grabbing the wheel of the car anymore. like I can call it up when I want. was a bit scary at first when I thought it was gone completely  :stahp

psychosis is a spectrum that I'm always on to some degree, but can fall into the deep end easier than most I think. I don't get to see cartoons walking around the apartment or anything fun like that. I just see and hear people I know saying and doing things against me. Or I connect dots that don't connect and even worse connect to dots that don't exist.

my feeling is the psychosis pushes me towards depression. I've developed ways of dealing with it, but some are not so healthy. I just need to stick to the healthy ways. things like playing in the ocean, really grounds me back down to reality.

it seemed like the doctors and staff thought I might hear voices because I think out loud. maybe that's the same thing  ???  they also seemed to think I'd been using meth, my lab results came back negative at the ER. I really haven't touched it since april 2017 when I left GA after getting out the army.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #737 on: October 22, 2020, 02:04:42 PM »
sex drive exists, but doesn't have any control, other than what I give it. haven't jerked in over a month and I'm not bouncing off the walls over it. very strange, but good.

anger I find no use for. it exists, but there is no reason to hold onto, follow or become angry.

it's more like i'm getting back to things i've felt before. except for my sex drive being manageable, that's completely new
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:29:49 PM by filler »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #738 on: October 23, 2020, 07:51:47 AM »
You should jerk it not for you, but for us bby

Anyway I just had an episode of suddenly getting extremely dizzy/lightheaded. Was sure I was going to pass out tbh. Was sitting in my car, just started eating and it came out of nowhere. Is this what a panic attack feels like? Felt no fear or trouble breathing really. But I was getting increasingly worried I was about to pass the fuck out and started sweating like crazy. Lasted a few min max (probably only 30 seconds or so). Could also be that I hadn't eaten anything got far too long, but I don't know. Felt weird

This does come off me being called in for a transplant and then then cancelling it last second again, after not sleeping got like 35 hours. It's two days ago now though

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #739 on: October 23, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »
Alright thanks. I hate to bring Sopranos into this, but that is pretty much how far my knowledge on that extends to, which is getting dizzy and then passing out, which I felt I was very close to. I was certainly freaked out, cause happened out of nowhere just sitting eating a bit in my car, completely relaxed and feeling decent.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #740 on: October 23, 2020, 01:56:40 PM »
 :fbm

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #741 on: October 23, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »
mostly just what I've figured myself over time. the dr heard me thinking out loud and I guess there's some spectrum of hearing voices. thinking out loud is on there somewhere. they also said I was paranoid about things I was paranoid about at the time.

around jr high I couldn't close my eyes for too long without imagining something terrible happening in front of me. would happen especially during a shower while washing away soap. I got past that by telling myself that real life isn't that interesting and there's some monster I'll be dead  :lol it worked :)

I think I've had a lot of "fixes" I've come up with to get around what's going on in my head. some of the fixes could have been done better.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #742 on: October 23, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »
probably seems worse than it is for you guys. I just have to make sure I get proper sleep at night and have some help taking care of mom. I feel calmness

if I were going out to the beach, I wouldn't smoke anything. maybe I should go

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #743 on: October 23, 2020, 08:55:42 PM »
I quit the weed and you can too bud.

I'm bored all the time but that's on Covid

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #745 on: November 18, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »
Pretty sure they will be legalized for everyone eventually.   

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #746 on: November 18, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »
Came into work, wasnt feeling too bad

all of a sudden an existential feeling of dread came over me, and I started tearing up and feeling like shit

After a call with my mom I calmed down tho wtf man

Didnt even know where it came from just got depressed af all of a sudden
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #747 on: November 22, 2020, 09:53:07 PM »
Came into work, wasnt feeling too bad

all of a sudden an existential feeling of dread came over me, and I started tearing up and feeling like shit

After a call with my mom I calmed down tho wtf man

Didnt even know where it came from just got depressed af all of a sudden

This whole year, a lot of stuff piles up. You're not alone. I've been midway through a day at work, and suddenly just feel like crying, and leaving, but I don't know where I'd go.

Bebpo

« Reply #748 on: December 14, 2020, 11:58:14 PM »
I stumbled across a random photos folder I have while looking for a zoom background. Found all kinds of photos from when I was 18-27, photos of me & the girls I dated.

Already been in a depression for a long while due to lockdown and losing all communications with almost all friends and living completely alone with no life. First half of lockdown was alright and an adventure, second half of the year has just been bad thing after bad thing snowballing into a never ending depression.

And then yeah, seeing those pics. I used to look really good and I never realized it and always thought I was an ugly looking dude. I'm jealous of my full hair and youthful face. The girls I dated in my 20s are gorgeous. Now I'm old and my hair sucks and all the women I date are older and less goddamn looking (also less crazy wild).

Nothing makes getting older more depressing than looking back at old photos.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #749 on: December 15, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »
Realizing I'm looking old too.  Kinda sucks. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #750 on: January 14, 2021, 01:43:07 AM »
Bebpo, bubbly! You looked better last time you were here in Osaka than when we met the first in Los Angeles.  You seemed skittish and weird. Now you seem more confident in who you are. Own that shit. It’s worth owning.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #751 on: January 30, 2021, 08:11:00 AM »
I've been struggling. Doing too much disassociation. I know I need to get into counseling or therapy. It's just hard right now, with the pandemic and then just the depression and everything else. I'm really not sure about the medication I was on at the hospital. I know it helped me sleep, but it didn't get me back to reality.

it's taken me until now to finally get back to reality. like my mind was still not all the way back from where I got lost and it's been rough. I know the depression is there and I know I'm disassociating. on top of that I didn't know what was real or not. so now it's like everything is hitting me all at once, I'm a bit shaky. mostly thinking about my family and how things have effected them. overall I feel okay despite everything. just feel like I let a lot of people down. angered people. definitely gave everyone the wrong impression.

I think anyone who meets me in person realizes that just because the inside of my head is messy, doesn't mean I treat people bad or hurt them, or even have a desire to. I do feel clarity now, but also concern about what's already happened. I can do better moving forward, but I can't expect everyone to just forget what they've seen me put out.

now I'm wondering why it took so long after getting out of in-patient care and being off the medication to get back. all the things I know now, I also knew going into the ER. the 3 days I spent alone in that room and then in-patient care for almost a month. that had me lost, not knowing what happened or what was real and what wasn't. then I start falling into old habits, but I think not as bad as before.

in-patient care did help me and I did need to be in there, but somehow I lost what happened and what had been going on.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #752 on: January 30, 2021, 08:33:44 AM »
I feel good, but also with the clarity my online behavior is hitting me. I disassociate so much and so well. it's like it's all meaningless and doesn't register or matter at all while I'm doing it. it feels good having clarity, like I can get things right moving forward.

I know I fucked up bad and over a long period of time. I feel good, alleviated. like I can move. my back pain is even feeling better right now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:45:35 AM by filler »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #753 on: January 30, 2021, 08:43:28 AM »
I believe in you breh  :heart
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #754 on: January 30, 2021, 04:51:11 PM »
the care I received at the ER, cottage, and crestwood was not what it should have been. the staff all knew everything and it hurt me. it's part of the reason I had to dump everything and just play it like nothing ever happened. I wouldn't have made it out of the hospital otherwise. it took a lot of prayer and meditation to survive the 3 days I spent in the ER. I went in going on my 4th day of no sleep and I was kept up for at least another day. the room I was in was next to some type of staff room and every time I would start do doze off I'd hear a loud slam like a big heavy door. that would startle me back awake and it just kept happening over and over. I had to use humor to survive through that, I had to make it funny for myself.

there's no way for me to prove the things I know were going on throughout my time in in-patient care. I've just gained enough clarity to see it all for what it was, instead of what I made it to survive through my stay. the meals I prayed over and ate knowing the food I was given had been tampered with. I just kept myself thankful for whatever I was given and prayed for everyone.

there's more I could say, maybe I will later. I do feel good about where I am mentally right now, emotionally there's a lot to unpack and work through.

maybe I'm wrong about some of it and I know it wasn't everyone on staff at the facilities. mostly I think they were all wonderful people and things got better over time in each place I was at.

the confusing thing is I think some of the things I noticed with the staff may have been intentional like some type of therapy. definitely at crestwood there was some type of program they ran for me. more I think on it I'm not so sure about things after the ER stay. cottage could have been do similar things as crestwood.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:17:22 PM by filler »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #755 on: January 30, 2021, 06:29:37 PM »
I feel good, really. anxious to get into some type of outpatient care. I know I have things to work on and I'm looking forward to it.

thinking more about my time at crestwood and cottage has me feeling better about it. they were doing things to help me that maybe didn't always seem like it at the time. like I saw through it, but also wanted to stay positive and accept help, so I just looked past most of it anyway.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #756 on: January 30, 2021, 06:51:19 PM »
Sounds like some Jason Bourne shit you went through

🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #757 on: January 30, 2021, 08:50:35 PM »
I'm not even sure about everything in the ER. when I left my feeling was that the hospital staff are angels  and I think I prefer that.

I felt good and positive coming out of crestwood, but I couldn't keep that up on my own.

I also have to give credit to law enforcement. they have helped me several times and I found myself praying for them along with everyone else. maybe it's just because of my veteran status and all, but I still appreciate them taking me to get help when I needed it.

I just want to get my mind, emotions and life going in a positive direction. I enjoy helping people, eventually I'd like to make that a big part of my life.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:11:39 PM by filler »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #758 on: January 30, 2021, 09:07:42 PM »
Sounds like some Jason Bourne shit you went through

(Image removed from quote.)
it was just stuff like having people do things to trigger a response. problem was that I just didn't give any. I could just pray or meditate if I needed to, or take some medication. I think maybe that was the point, get me in the habit of doing things like that when I start feeling stressers. they were also trying to get me to do things like speak up for myself and not just be passive. it was interesting, seemed so strange how I felt it was all setup for me and partly it was.

at crestwood when I would start showing irritation and vent things out loud. then another patient would reflect that back at me, except the patients doing that were staff. I wasn't always so sure about what was going on and they did let me know at both places. it's just that I couldn't be sure because of the way my mind gets sometimes.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #759 on: January 30, 2021, 09:39:36 PM »
I've struggled so hard my whole life to get to this point. I can't lose it. I never want to be down in that hole again. it's not good for me and it's not good for anyone I come in contact with. I'm scared I won't be able to get help right away. I'm so anxious to get started.

really feeling the anxiety right now. it's like I'm finally present and it's a struggle to keep from going back inside my head. it scares me and things are effecting me instantly. like there was a movie on in mom's room and some lady got shot in the head. I couldn't handle seeing it. I think it's good, I should be effected by things like that. it should be scary to be doing things differently. getting help from mental healthcare professionals without being distant. being vulnerable for real. the care I've gone through in the past did help, but I was still not dropping my guard completely. getting help scares me now, maybe it always did.I don't even want to meditate or take anything to calm down. I want to remain present, let things effect me like they should.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:43:09 AM by filler »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #760 on: February 04, 2021, 08:14:25 PM »
there was a lot of damage done, but like all things it is passing.

I've been working through it and the worst is already over.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 12:02:49 AM by filler »

Tasty

« Reply #761 on: April 23, 2021, 06:15:17 PM »
Being responsible for 9 chicken deaths on Monday has actually kinda got me fucked up bad, and other family drama shit this week didn't help. :/ Just need to vent.

These days I can tell when I've entered a depressive episode because I mentally want to end most sentences IRL with "fuck off and leave me alone." And also I don't see the point in getting out of bed.

Social interactions are so difficult right now, and I don't know how to communicate that without seeming whiny or dickish. Just gotta tough it out, but that fake smile is what sucks the most.

Will keep telling myself what I'm feeling isn't real, that the people in my life are more supportive than I'm giving them credit for, and that eventually I will claim greater agency for myself and my decisions.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #762 on: April 25, 2021, 09:30:30 AM »
4 months of 2021 has actually been worse than all of 2020
For real.
Lost 2 family members in the span of a couple of months (one to covid).

Light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train, who knew.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #763 on: June 02, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »
doing extraordinarily well, feeling it's time to explore therapy

if we are feeling well we may think we can stop treatment or that we do not need it to begin with. we can also do what it takes to continue feeling well.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 10:19:54 AM by team filler »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #764 on: June 05, 2021, 01:29:01 PM »
just thinking about how the inpatient care may have fucked me up worse than all the chit that came before it. from the ER room on, they did a number on me and I really just needed help to recover. I've been recovering from the inpatient insanity they put me through this whole time, on top of all the other chit that was going on and then caring for mom on top of it.

none of the people who run their mouths could survive an hour of  any of that, especially not when combined. I lived through it 24 hours a day and I'm still here and enjoying my life. I pray you all find your way to some peace as well.

Bebpo

« Reply #765 on: June 07, 2021, 07:28:30 PM »
Working on a life plan rn to get myself back together.

Feels like even being vaccinated and back to life in CA, everything that was my life is gone and I'm back to square one in doing something. My friends are all kind of flakey, my horror meetups I used to organize has their next event in december and no one seems real interested in getting it back going, my dating profiles are all bad and outdated, so been in a depression funk in my free time of trying to motivate myself to do something. Been driving to parks and walking around taking photos and stuff mostly. And working out daily.

I either need a new hobby, or I need to get motivated enough to put my horror group back together by thinking of (safe) event ideas or finding (safe) events going on soon.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #766 on: June 08, 2021, 01:57:55 AM »
It is not my intent to diminish your problems, only to affirm that we're all going through a bunch of shit right now. Having a pandemic would have been stressful enough, but we also found out MANY in our American society are selfish, racist, STUPID fuckbags whose concept of freedom is so fragile that hoping they'll "look out for those around you" is considered a personal attack on their rights.

…and then we got to find out some of our friends and relatives also rolled this way.

It has been a shocking few years, and it felt like it was accelerating toward a cliff.

So it's no wonder you're feeling out of sorts.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #767 on: June 08, 2021, 03:28:57 PM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:10:48 AM by team filler »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #768 on: June 08, 2021, 07:45:58 PM »
ALS sucks big time. The dad of a kid I was support teacher for got it, and seeing the disease progress was rough, can only imagine what it's like for family. But the good thing is the mind is still there, so being with her is a very good thing, and most certainly making her life a lot better. Hope you and your mom manages to have a good time despite the disease.

Edit: For myself, I'm on my last paycheck this month, and then I will be unofficially unemployed. I got enough saved up that I shouldn't have a problem financially for quite some time, but I also hope to be able to loan money for a house soon, a fairly perfect house for what I need (i have about 2/5 of the value saved up myself). Felt fine not having a job and being fired due to illness, but I have a feeling I will get rejected due to no permanent work and it will fucking suck. Dont want to ask parents for help. Hoping that never owing anyone money and always paying everything on time will work to my advantage though.

Started doing long walks every day, and working out with dumbells every second day. It isn't much, but it really has made me feel better physically, and that helps feeling better mentally in the end. No real anxiety over surgery, no panic every time the phone rings thinking it's the hospital, and no stress due to not working.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:51:28 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #769 on: June 08, 2021, 07:53:08 PM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:10:36 AM by team filler »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #770 on: June 08, 2021, 07:56:10 PM »
Can't do more than that, no point in taking on the pain yourself at least. Wasn't aware of her mental state before all this, so I apologize for assuming anything, but I am sure it's making her days a lot better either way.  :rejoice

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #771 on: June 08, 2021, 08:58:10 PM »
well the mental health aspect is part of what makes it so difficult at times. mom's mental health wasn't great before this and I imagine even a mentally healthy person would struggle with losing use of legs and arms. it's just so much for her to have to go through and I was taking too much of it on myself. I have learned to care without taking myself down doing so. when mom is in pain I can just do what is possible for me to do and leave it at that. I am no longer breaking down over it and taking on all the pain myself to the point I become unhealthy.

I apologize in advance for how trite this is, but I always think of the pre-flight airline safety demonstration regarding oxygen masks: Take care of yourself first, in order to safely take care of loved ones next.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #772 on: June 08, 2021, 09:36:28 PM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:10:24 AM by team filler »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #773 on: June 08, 2021, 10:16:19 PM »
Please make sure you get the care you need and deserve, so you can give your mother the care she needs and deserves.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #774 on: June 08, 2021, 11:57:07 PM »
ALS is real poop, my dad's brother had it back in 2011-13 before finally passing, I dunno why that Lou Gherig jerk invented it

bless up for choosing non-violence, always :heart

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #775 on: July 29, 2021, 02:27:11 AM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:10:11 AM by team filler »

Bebpo

« Reply #776 on: May 14, 2022, 05:13:28 PM »
Since I lost all my friends during covid (they didn't die, just one person turned against me for not attending their fucking birthday party during year 1 pandemic and excised me from the friend group completely), I've realized not having anything to fall back on means every time shitty stuff happens I end up back in a depression since I have no support and pretty much live and am totally alone.

I started learning game dev and making games to get me out of a long depression since my last relationship and it worked and was doing pretty good. Then got down again when I lost track during my next game, and then got up again when I made a new game and had a couple of good dates in a row.

I got ghosted this week by my last date in a pretty suck way. Don't mind getting ghosted since that's how dating goes, but things had been starting well and after our last date they were texting me how excited they were to see me again with emoticon smiles and stuff and then real quick within a day or two they started getting reaaaaal slow & short on replies and after a few of those just totally ghosted. Sucks when you think things are good and then rug is pulled out.

So been pretty down again and it sucks. Gonna start Elden Ring finally to try to find something new to focus on for a bit. Really just wish I had friends because they were a major safety net when things like this would happen to have a friend to go get a drink with and hang out. Just not even sure how to make new irl friends these days during the pandemic since I'm a weirdo and still wearing masks and like no one else is here.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #777 on: May 14, 2022, 06:02:21 PM »
I'm just a dumb internet rando and I don't really know you but I hope things get better for you bebpo

I don't know how to make new IRL friends either, mostly I've been lucky having nice coworkers with similar interests plopped next to me out of nowhere, like thanks universe

but I'm also not a super social person

the only things I see recommended usually are random club/group meetups like finding people who play D&D in your area, but stuff like that gets weirder as you get older, like, what if you show up to a game with nothing but teens

it's like you're expected to already have your groups by a certain point and eventually there's nothing  :-\
Uncle

Bebpo

« Reply #778 on: May 14, 2022, 06:39:40 PM »
Thanks, yeah meetups are how I've made my last couple of groups of friends irl over the past decade.

But right now I'm kinda iffy on going to a new group of random people since like no one is wearing masks here and me being immune compromised I'll show up to a group of random strangers all masked up and it'll be really awkward. Was waiting for pandemic stuff to get better to get back to socializing with strangers but who knows when that'll happen. I started going to meetups again last summer/fall since with vaccines it was pretty safe even during Delta, but with Omicron and its variants, right now not super big on risk taking.

Basically just like ready to hang out between waves of pandemic I guess. At least until they make a new vaccine that works against the omicron variants.

Bebpo

« Reply #779 on: June 13, 2022, 09:32:13 PM »
Been on a lot of downers lately.

Life is hard  :(