Author Topic: Depression/mental health thread  (Read 107909 times)

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
Re: Depression/mental health thread
« Reply #420 on: December 09, 2018, 09:21:57 PM »
Good, because I have so much shit I need to do this month. December is too busy! :stahp
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #421 on: December 09, 2018, 09:33:04 PM »
Brehs... the latest Hellsing Ultimate Abridged actually had some good advice, or at least some advice that spoke to me.

"Don't mistake youthful selfishness for genuine malice. Nobody *isn't* kind of an asshole in their early 20s. And if they actually weren't? They were probably sociopaths."

Maybe I should stop beating myself up. :thinking

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #422 on: December 10, 2018, 09:44:49 AM »
Went to bed last night excited to go to work today, woke up ready to face the day, and within the last 30 min anxiety set in now, I'm going to skip a meeting and stay home.  SMH this year has been trash.

thetylerrob

« Reply #423 on: December 10, 2018, 02:26:29 PM »
Tomorrow night I'm finally going to a psychiatrist and getting treated for ADHD, letting it go this far has really fucked up my life in a lot of ways. I dropped out of college with a few credits left to graduate, I always did terribly at school, my house is always a mess, I don't communicate with people well at all, I constantly lose touch with friends unless I see them every day, I burn out at jobs after about 6 months unless it's really engaging, I'm always depressed and I lie constantly when I'm trying to hide this shit from people. I'm really hoping this turns my life around somewhat, I just want some stability and I feel like I've wasted a lot of time.

Tasty

« Reply #424 on: December 10, 2018, 02:30:35 PM »
Tomorrow night I'm finally going to a psychiatrist and getting treated for ADHD, letting it go this far has really fucked up my life in a lot of ways. I dropped out of college with a few credits left to graduate, I always did terribly at school, my house is always a mess, I don't communicate with people well at all, I constantly lose touch with friends unless I see them every day, I burn out at jobs after about 6 months unless it's really engaging, I'm always depressed and I lie constantly when I'm trying to hide this shit from people. I'm really hoping this turns my life around somewhat, I just want some stability and I feel like I've wasted a lot of time.

Damn this hits close to home. Please post about how it goes.

Tasty

« Reply #425 on: December 12, 2018, 09:43:50 AM »

People keep letting me down. Life sucks.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #426 on: December 12, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
Sorry things are rough Tasty. But people will always let you down. That's why I have 0 expectations from anyone.
que

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #427 on: December 12, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »

well shit this sounds too familliar

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid.. but I stopped taking medication so long ago and stopped seeing a psychiatrist around 15/16 as well.

I have a terrible time holding down a job, my house is also always a mess. My communication with people is also terrible it seems, which causes me to miss all sorts of job oppertunities. I used to lie a lot to hide this shit from my moms n stuff, but nowadays I just tell her everything.

I'm 32 now and just got laid off. Shit fucking sucks bro.

But you will get through it man and so will I I am sure of it.
What

thetylerrob

« Reply #428 on: December 12, 2018, 04:17:47 PM »
Saw the psychiatrist last night, it seemed to go pretty well.

He just asked me a list of about a hundred questions and tried to fill out my symptoms on a scale from 1-5 based on my answers. I feel like it's really hard to talk to someone about my mental issues in person because I don't keep an active list in my head of every symptom I experience they just randomly come to me or I'll realize they existed later. The list was really detailed but the guy joked around a lot to build a rapport with me, kinda felt awkward that he joked about suicide and whether I've ever wanted to kill anyone tho.  :doge

Anyway the only thing I'm shaky on is how skeptical he seemed to be at first, it feel's a little bit like he was trying to disprove that I have anything. He had to warn me that it's really hard to get anything prescribed because of how popular the drugs have become and he was really curious about why I've never sought treatment before (I'm 25). I basically had to explain to him that my parents didn't have insurance and I had tried before but was too broke/busy. Idk maybe I'm just paranoid about it because I'm used to being brushed off by people. Anyway he says we have to do some more tests but I'll have to wait until next month to do them and he didn't know if my insurance would need to cover them.

Sorry about your job MMaRsu, I know how it feels to lose your job randomly and it's honestly one of the worst feelings in the world.

Also sorry people are dicks, Tasty. We're here for you bro.

If you guys feel like you want to get diagnosed/treated look around your area for mental health facilities that use a sliding scale based on income, the guy told me initially that this first appointment would cost $140 but he ended up just waiving the fee at the end of the session. He said the next one will be $80.

Tasty

« Reply #429 on: December 14, 2018, 12:31:59 AM »
I fucking fuck everything up. Fuck

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #430 on: December 14, 2018, 01:20:08 AM »
shootin love beams your way

Tasty

« Reply #431 on: December 14, 2018, 01:32:47 AM »
Just wanna take poppers until I fall asleep and don't wake up. Sounds nice. Probably need a chaser.

Edit- Not killing myself, just talking hypothetically.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #432 on: December 14, 2018, 01:40:46 AM »
Tasty, I just figured all my shit out by having three espressos and then sitting for two hours in a hot shower. I highly recommend it.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #433 on: December 14, 2018, 02:01:13 AM »
Edit- Ugh morning afters
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:28:14 PM by Tasty Meat »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #434 on: December 14, 2018, 04:41:54 AM »
Tasty, I just figured all my shit out by having three espressos and then sitting for two hours in a hot shower. I highly recommend it.
Would having a triple shot work? :thinking
Hi

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #435 on: December 14, 2018, 06:45:15 AM »
Anyway the only thing I'm shaky on is how skeptical he seemed to be at first, it feel's a little bit like he was trying to disprove that I have anything.
This is often kinda less trying to wave you off than it is pushing back a little from outside to see your reactions. He'll probably subtly and openly test you in a variety of ways especially early on just to get a feel of how you be.

Or he may just be skeptical or looking to make a narrow diagnosis. I don't want to pretend that's not possible.

The fact that he waived the fee and gave you a cheaper one for next time seems to indicate he'd like to work with you though, trying to remove some of the logistical barriers to you returning.

benjipwns

« Reply #436 on: December 14, 2018, 07:15:53 AM »
Re: rolling without insurance or having low level insurance

A perhaps surprising number of therapists, actually doctors in general really, will often be more flexible on costs with cash payments (or check) for at least a few patients or so.

Regarding prescription drugs, there are also discount programs many pharmacies already have in the system and you can just ask about them when dropping off, but you can also find a number of them on the onlines and often it's just stuff you print off or they send a card for free that you can dump a bunch of on the counter. Then the pharmacist enters a code like thing that applies the discounts. And sometimes they will use multiple different ones to get you the cheapest cost on each drug if they're cool. My pharmacist has hers setup so it automatically goes through the discount programs to apply cheapest one, I pay like $35ish for three drugs. But for example, CVS wanted me to pay up to like $80 for far less drugs through THEIR "discount" program years ago, so it can be worthwhile to query different places as they can usually give you an estimate.

Obviously nothing to rely on for everything or in every instance, but can be of value in certain situations.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #437 on: December 14, 2018, 01:15:22 PM »
Long story short, I think I need to put some distance between my parents and I and get help for me.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:17:40 PM by CatsCatsCats »

Tasty

« Reply #438 on: December 14, 2018, 01:27:53 PM »
Me and hour-long hot showers are well acquainted. :P

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #439 on: December 14, 2018, 02:46:21 PM »
Long story short, I think I need to put some distance between my parents and I and get help for me.

I saw before the edit and I think thats a good call. Things are always a little heightened right now too so go easy on yourself.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #440 on: December 14, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »
 :yuck
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:59:08 PM by CatsCatsCats »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #441 on: December 14, 2018, 11:11:20 PM »
Twenty years of depression feels like its on its last legs. All due to, seemingly, bad body image issues. Wish I didnt squander my 20s due to this relatively simple fix.

But as that veil pulls away I'm noticing anger coming through. Lots of it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:40:19 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #442 on: December 15, 2018, 12:22:27 AM »
Twenty years of depression feels like its on its last legs. All due to, seemingly, bad body image issues. Wish I didnt squander my 20s due to this relatively simple fix.

I you don’t mind, can you pm me about wHat you think your sitch is? I might be in a similar boat.
serge

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #443 on: December 17, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
Agreed to go talk things over with my mom tonight, would rather blast myself (but will not)

TVC15

« Reply #444 on: December 18, 2018, 10:18:56 PM »
Strange depression. 4 hours before bed and I'm just so fucking bored. Nothing seems worth doing. Bored to depression.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #445 on: December 18, 2018, 10:57:12 PM »
Strange depression. 4 hours before bed and I'm just so fucking bored. Nothing seems worth doing. Bored to depression.

Been sorta feeling this lately. And my apt feels so empty when it's just me here. Makes my near-term move even more melancholic.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #446 on: December 18, 2018, 11:18:56 PM »
That depression is normal life for me. 

TVC15

« Reply #447 on: December 18, 2018, 11:28:41 PM »
I found a cure: high thc cannabis and 30 Rock.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #448 on: December 18, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
I found a cure: high thc cannabis and 30 Rock.

I was doing some vaping and Brooklyn 99, haha.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #449 on: December 19, 2018, 12:04:08 AM »
I'm sober and watching House MD for the 4th time through, hahaha. 

TVC15

« Reply #450 on: December 19, 2018, 12:13:20 AM »
I'm also fiddling with my Chrome Slate.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #451 on: December 19, 2018, 12:13:47 AM »

How is it? You get the Pen? The keyboard?

Sent from my Google Pixelbook.

TVC15

« Reply #452 on: December 19, 2018, 12:22:39 AM »

How is it? You get the Pen? The keyboard?

Sent from my Google Pixelbook.

Still waiting on the pen and case.

It's a lovely device, but I get the impression Chrome OS is going through its awkward teenage years as an OS. It's perfectly usable, but there's some weirdness as a tablet OS. I'll definitely get a lot of use out of it as a web browser and reader. It has a big, beautiful screen and it's super light.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #453 on: December 19, 2018, 12:45:39 AM »
Yeah the tablet stuff is a very very very recent addition and very much a WIP.

Good thing about CrOS though is that it updates every six weeks.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #454 on: December 29, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »

When I lost a bunch of weight a long time ago, it took me years to get over the various issues that I didn’t really think about or knew existed.  There were a lot of times where I felt anger and resentment towards people who treated me differently.  I got over it but was shocked at how long it took me to get over it.  Rewiring you brain to not think of yourself as fat is a long term process if you had spent a good part of your life overweight.
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #455 on: December 30, 2018, 12:23:08 AM »
I've spent my xmas week off in pretty much a depression. I always have depression but it's luckily not that bad and as long as I stay busy with work, chores, social stuff, trips, etc... to fill my calendar I don't often have a lot of free time to be depressed.

But this week I had basically jack and shit to do all week, so depression hit pretty hard and I went from getting up at like 7am and jogging everyday and getting to sleep by 11-midnight to sleeping in until like 10-12am, up to 2-3am, and multiple naps throughout the day on top of that. Always feeling tired and shitty and just wanna sleep and playing videogames. At least I've still been managing to work out daily and I feel better after that but it ends up being at some random time in the day and because my time schedule is all thrown off I'm eating at weird times or not really eating enough and just grabbing fast food feeling kinda shitty from that.

I was supposed to go to 2 parties today, both full of mostly strangers (knew 1 person in each) and in cities 30-40 mins away. Ended up flaking on both. First one because I overslept and wasn't ready in time, second because I had some crappy fast food for lunch and wasn't feeling that good and passed out napping instead.

At least I'm back to full time work schedule next week.

Basically the only things that keep me from being depressed which makes me super introverted is exercise (which gives a good energy boost for 4-5 hours), coffee (same for about 4-5 hours but I can't drink more than one per day or it fucks me up, so I try to save it for like early afternoon to get energy for the main part of the day) and hanging with friends I'm close with. When I do any of that I'm happy and in a good mood. Otherwise I'm depressed :| A lot of my dating troubles comes from on a good energy day I'll start chatting with someone and hit it off and they think I'm great and then I have a low energy/depression day or two and I basically don't text them at all and they disappear. To date I need to continually be in good energy/positive and that's tough for me. /sigh

Himu

« Reply #456 on: December 30, 2018, 12:51:38 AM »
I love all of you.  I hope everyone feels better!
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #459 on: December 30, 2018, 01:43:45 AM »
The more weight i lose the more manic I become, is that a thing?

Eurphoria, yet i was bed ridden two days ago in absolute stillness. Feels like I I'm a battle.with my self loathing

The drugs and booze aint helping. As much as I love mescaline, as gentle as it can be, that shit FUCKED up my self image this last go around.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:11:40 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Rahxephon91

« Reply #460 on: December 31, 2018, 12:24:58 PM »
I know self diagnosis isn’t cool but I wonder if I’m bi-polar.

I feel like my adult life is extremely happy and positive or super negative and depressed. Often changing at the slightest whims of outside forces.

Even my mom thinks I may be

benjipwns

« Reply #461 on: January 01, 2019, 04:57:01 AM »
the mania period of bipolar isn't "happy and positive" it's an inversed depression that's still negative, bipolar is generally non-reactive to events, not that it's immune as that would be silly, but generally there is not a clear rational pattern to the periods of mania and depression explained by outside events...usually they tend more to exacerbate the already cycled period

there is a "lower" form of bipolar type cycles in which the full fledged criteria for manic and depressive periods is not met: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclothymia

there's also a difference between bipolar ii and bipolar i that i can never remember, and there's a misleadingly named hyper cyclical or something that's actually the months long period version and the one where you can switch daily or weekly is not "hyper"

one upside is that a lot of bipolar treatments can generally be applied to plain depression without any resulting downside, because if you think of it like a graph, what you're trying to mess with are the amplitude and frequency and lower both, whether or not the "graph" is above the x-axis or not...if it turns out to be more depression than anything then it's a small shift in treatment (often less so in medication)

cycling in and out of depressive periods is generally normal to depression, so the positive part is when you're up in the cycle, it doesn't have to become bipolar which is two inverse extreme periods

similarly to the "lower" form of bipolar there is a "lower" form of depression: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia

i note these more to point out that there are some more-specific lower-level diagnoses that may be more applicable than the exact specifics of the formal bipolar and depression diagnoses that the broad high level overviews may obscure...though usually treatment is similar since these are all under one big umbrella like the category A/B/C personality disorders are

all the standard disclaimers (everyone different, generalizing, summarizing, probably remembering things wrong, etc.) of course, plus the extra special disclaimer that my formal training/degrees are social sciences not applied sciences so i have no formal credentials in psychology/psychiatry, just what i've picked up from personal experience

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2019, 10:06:21 PM »
long incoherent rant in the spoiler tags, I just wanted to vent

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm thinking of switching my major for the 2nd time. Maybe it's just the depression but studying IT has went from tolerable to something I actively detest. I don't even know what I want to do though. The prospect of starting over is also terrifying. I'm 22, I should be done with school and looking for a real job to support my parents who are reaching retirement age. I also have 12K in student debt looming over my head, which I know isn't a relative lot, but I have no money to my name and wouldn't be able to hold down a job while going to school. I tried that once and it ended in disaster for my grades.

The antidepressants I've started taking - Escitalopram, help I think. I'm not as lethargic as before. I know that no drug is going to single handily make my want to salvage me life though. I'm still on a waitlist for government covered therapy. Feeling this image pretty hard. I don't have the balls for suicide, but it looks very appealing.

[close]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:13:05 PM by eleuin »

shosta

« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »
When you say your major is "IT", do you mean Computer Science?
每天生气

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2019, 10:37:50 PM »
Yeah, that wasn't clear, my bad

shosta

« Reply #465 on: January 06, 2019, 12:08:51 AM »
Don't you fucking dare change majors. You're not going to find whatever's missing in your life by blowing up your future.
每天生气

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #466 on: January 06, 2019, 01:17:41 AM »
Whatever you end up doing, don't stress about your age. Nothing is set in stone.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #467 on: January 06, 2019, 01:31:10 AM »
Hah, tell it to my soon to be exwife who thinks I'm going to be the same forever cause I'm age X. :doge
Hi

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2019, 12:30:04 PM »
Don't you fucking dare change majors. You're not going to find whatever's missing in your life by blowing up your future.
I do and I don't agree with this.

I mean, I went to college with the aim to get a Renaissance type education. Learn as much as I can about as much as I can. I had a Music Performance major and 6 minors.  I only flunked one class my whole life and it was Computer Science 101.  So part of me is totally an advocate of University != Job training Center type of thinking.

That being said, I do feel I've done well for myself, but I also know it's DESPITE of my degree and it would've been far easier with a degree and I'd have more mobility with the right degree.

I'd say "Don't do anything you'll regret" But that's trite. You're going to regret whatever decision you make. So let me leave it as "Pick what you will regret least." If you want to move away from IT but you're OK with living in a cardboard box, then do it. Likewise, if money is your focus then you'll have to sacrifice something for it.
que

benjipwns

« Reply #469 on: January 16, 2019, 09:01:43 PM »
i don't really do anger, so i can't even get angry enough to just be done, whatever well i spose

edit: my meds schedule is all messed up on top of things because i'm stupid sometimes, okay maybe more often, but i don't exactly pretend i'm not messed up, plus that's like my favorite mst3k clip

i should ease into controlled anger by getting angry at people who don't recognize it
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:28:13 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #470 on: January 16, 2019, 09:33:32 PM »
my main point is, that i don't know, probably pretty obvious now that i think about it

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #471 on: January 17, 2019, 12:11:48 AM »

I'm thinking of switching my major for the 2nd time. Maybe it's just the depression but studying IT has went from tolerable to something I actively detest. I don't even know what I want to do though. The prospect of starting over is also terrifying. I'm 22, I should be done with school and looking for a real job to support my parents who are reaching retirement age. I also have 12K in student debt looming over my head, which I know isn't a relative lot, but I have no money to my name and wouldn't be able to hold down a job while going to school. I tried that once and it ended in disaster for my grades.

The antidepressants I've started taking - Escitalopram, help I think. I'm not as lethargic as before. I know that no drug is going to single handily make my want to salvage me life though. I'm still on a waitlist for government covered therapy. Feeling this image pretty hard. I don't have the balls for suicide, but it looks very appealing.

[close]

There's so many people who are still in school in their late 20s and 30s, there's really no time when you "should" be done with it. Plenty of successful people didn't finish school until they were way older than you are now.

Cryo

« Reply #472 on: January 17, 2019, 12:32:16 AM »

[close]
as someone five years older than you with retirement age parents, and just finished their bachelors degree last month, hang in there. it’s definitely worth doing some soul searching/talk therapy to figure out what’s the root cause of your detestment of your major - it could very well be for a reason that is antithetical to what you want from a future career, but perhaps you can try to rediscover what you liked about it and try to focus on things that are aligned with that aspect. would you actually need to start over, or are there tech-based majors that you’d be able to transfer coursework with?

benjipwns

« Reply #473 on: January 17, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »
meds back on proper cycle + good sleep = :success

nice that the weirdest thing i did on The Bire was delete posts attacking Contrapoints and ramble about Angel Studios... actually this was probably the weirdest thing i did because i was already pretty exhausted by the time i got on here :lol

also, i had a cleaning at the dentist :wow

benjipwns

« Reply #474 on: January 17, 2019, 08:21:12 PM »
re: changing majors at 22

don't worry about it that much, especially if you're going to be at the same university/college

perchance might you mention what you thinking about transferring into? if it's not too far from computer science you won't be starting over completely, and in any case you won't be because of core classes you probably had to/have to take

back when i was an undergrad, i was just getting a history major, and was going to get a poli sci minor (we didn't have to pick that until later) but because of the courses i had happened to take already i only needed two extra classes to double major, and all core classes count for every major (this should be the same at your university if American unless Ivy League or private)

if you still have a number of core/elective classes to take, try a semester away from your major, or minimal classes in your major, i tossed out history for a semester to take BOWLING (very important life skills), DANGEROUS PLANET (for science credit...it was about hurricanes, volcanoes, etc.), some English thing for credit and Human Genetics for rest of science credit...then when i came back to history it didn't seem as boring, especially with the summer inbetween

regarding the age part, don't feel like you have to "start" life at an age, obviously it's great to get started earlier and there can be pushing it too far when you're say 45 but everyone starts at a different time, many people completely start over...i know a guy who spent 20 years as a professional photographer in the advertising industry, then went back to school to get an English degree to teach English

if you're feeling anxious about a job, take a look around school, there's lots of places for computer science people in every department, places you won't even think of will take one and then teach them the department specifics (which don't actually exist) there's even more obvious stuff like just sitting around a computer lab in case anyone needs help or to stop the foreign guy from printing 30 copies of his 200 page masters degree...if you have it good with any professors they can usually hook you up with something easy, albeit maybe only temporary...i'd say most campus jobs for students are like 10% work, 90% free study time...actually strike "for students"

edit: oops, didn't see this was your second time changing majors, so a lot of my advice you already knew, that said, definitely try to think of a second major change as your final one, i know lots of people think that regarding their first change, but if it's your second one you really want to be more laser focused on it

personally, i graduated a year "late" in part because of that double major and in part because i refused to be one of those people like a couple roommates who took like seven classes a semester and constantly burned out, most i ever took was five

i made up for it in grad school before becoming stupid and going for a second one again

a friend from high school changed his majors five times and finally graduated undergrad at age 27 because he just wouldn't stop taking courses, especially ones that didn't multi-count...his year as a woman studies major probably set him back the most
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:31:25 PM by benjipwns »

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #475 on: January 22, 2019, 09:29:17 PM »
Doctor wants me to see a therapist for depression. I've never been diagnosed as having depression before, but I guess it makes sense. Any tips on what I should look for in a therapist?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
Just wanna take poppers until I fall asleep and don't wake up. Sounds nice. Probably need a chaser.

Edit- Not killing myself, just talking hypothetically.

benjipwns

« Reply #477 on: January 23, 2019, 04:39:05 AM »
Doctor wants me to see a therapist for depression. I've never been diagnosed as having depression before, but I guess it makes sense. Any tips on what I should look for in a therapist?
That you're comfortable with them. It's fine to do intake, realize the person isn't going to work and move onto someone else. If you don't feel comfortable talking to someone younger than you or older than you or female, that's okay.

Their methodology can be related to this, you may find they're great but whatever they suggest just isn't right for whatever reason.

Basically, it's okay to try a few even if you don't get it right the first time. There are many instances where you can get a handful of names, perhaps from your doctor, and they may even suggest one they think would be good for you, etc. You can also ask for recommendations if you do intake with someone and find it doesn't seem to work, they may have some names to suggest you try who have a different approach.

At the same time, early sessions will focus on them figuring you out so it can be somewhat annoying and even repetitive but they're trying to paint a picture. The fact that you have a suggested diagnosis from a doctor can speed this up a little as they'll be looking for that rather than trying to figure it out from scratch.

But the main thing is really that you have to feel comfortable with the setting, the person, etc. otherwise you're not going to be able to work with them and vice versa like you could.

You don't want someone to coddle you though, no matter what, you're not a developer and never will be. Anyone who tells you that is just making things worse.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2019, 11:49:50 AM »
Agree with most of what benji said.  You may also want to look at one that does CBT.  I hated "normal" therapy but I started with one that did it a couple of months ago (after I had a bad breakdown where I left to Vegas and went radio silent for a week, which ended up with me going to inpatient for another week) and it's had good results so far.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #479 on: January 23, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
I signed up with 7cups and it’s pretty good I guess