Author Topic: Depression/mental health thread  (Read 107935 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Depression/mental health thread
« Reply #480 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:38 PM »
A Ketamine-Based Nasal Spray Is Now an FDA-Approved Depression Treatment
https://gizmodo.com/a-ketamine-based-nasal-spray-is-now-an-fda-approved-dep-1833048695

Very excited about this. No antidepressants I’ve tried work for me, and due to my collection of neuroses, I can’t really experiment with ones currently on the market because they may exacerbate other problems.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #481 on: March 21, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »
Having another depression/anxiety episode right now exactly when I can't afford it.  Fuck I'm tired of this shit. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #482 on: March 21, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
yeah, work is back to nervous breakdown territory and only getting worse. I had hoped I would've changed the situation by now, but apparently, nope that's not happening. Through changes in my life I now have more people to support me and they've been doing a wonderful job and it's beautiful to see that happening. But at the same time it feels like I just have more people to let down and make nervous now.  I hate this.

And I feel you Arvie. These things never come when you can afford to deal with it.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #483 on: March 22, 2019, 10:19:43 AM »
Having another depression/anxiety episode right now exactly when I can't afford it.  Fuck I'm tired of this shit.

Duuuuuude. You're awesome. Get some chill.

Propagandhim

« Reply #484 on: March 22, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
https://gizmodo.com/a-ketamine-based-nasal-spray-is-now-an-fda-approved-dep-1833048695

Very excited about this. No antidepressants I’ve tried work for me, and due to my collection of neuroses, I can’t really experiment with ones currently on the market because they may exacerbate other problems.

Next step: How to get psychiatry to accommodate patients who inquire about this as a possible treatment without labeling them as 'drug-seekers' and running them through decade-long trials of SSRIs before they use this.    Also, this stuff is probably insanely expensive.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:30:25 PM by Propagandhim »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #485 on: March 22, 2019, 11:10:06 PM »
Blue week. Blue day. Trying to shake it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #486 on: March 24, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »
Blue week. Blue day. Trying to shake it.

YOU GOT THIS.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #487 on: March 24, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »
Monday is coming. Not ready for another week.  :-\
que

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #488 on: March 24, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »
I've been depressed in some capacity for about 15 years now, some super lows but I've been improving over the past few years.

But today, fucking hell. I couldn't actually move until 3pm. I've been quite sick (colds) the past couple of weeks so I'm hoping that is the main culprit, but I'm petrified that I might actually be quite depressed without realising it. I had a fight with my partner last night and I have been going over awful thoughts involving running away and hurting myself and dying in a bush somewhere. I'm also feeling really despondent and apathetic about my university work.

In all honestly this could be solved by getting some good exercise in but it's so hard to get started when you're in the pits like this

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #489 on: March 24, 2019, 11:50:19 PM »
You know, I don't buy the whole "exercising cures depression." Since this episode started last year I've been working out pretty consistently. And I'm thankfully in the best shape of my life. But while it helps burn up the energy and helps me fight my demons, it definitely doesn't get rid of them and it only helps while I'm exercising. Being in shape is certainly a good self esteem booster and I'm very glad for that. It only helps with depression it certainly doesn't clear it up, in fact, it helps like taking on any hobby will help.
que

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #490 on: March 25, 2019, 01:47:56 AM »
Yeah all good points there. I prepared a nice healthy meal for my girlfriend and I so feeling a bit better now. Forcing myself out the door for a walk.

Then facing the music with my bullshit uni work. Thankfully I'm close to graduating

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #491 on: March 25, 2019, 02:06:36 AM »
It's usually used as a suggestion because most people aren't good exercisers. If you are, then no, it probably isn't as helpful. There are obvious benefits to exercise that help but it's certainly not a cure all. It's just one of those things that doesn't have a downside and most people can be assumed to not be doing it so it's a freebie. It's not as easy to know if say somebody likes to play sports or even something as non-athletic as they like to read but haven't been until you get to know more about them.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #492 on: March 25, 2019, 05:47:48 AM »
Oh I totally agree. It's just annoying, just like those people that believe that you can pray depression away.  Look, if it was that easy then no smart people would have depression.  "Oh! I just have to run/pray/eat organic food? Her her, why didn't I think of that?" I get that people are trying to "help" it's just dismissive. But again, it does HELP. And it only does if you're damned committed about it.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #493 on: March 28, 2019, 12:31:26 PM »
Been having crazy anxiety bouts this past month;  I've felt fairly "level headed" for a couple of years now after dealing with anxiety for a long time.

I had attributed the positive change to a change in jobs/employers which was good for me.. but this return of anxiety has coincided with my job going better than ever.   And it's way worse than before;  the swings are so incredibly wild, like going from feeling great, almost euphoric, to having near panic attacks. 

I did also stop smoking pot near the other positive change;  and took it back up this past November due to my migraines developing a nausea aspect to them. 

Gonna try quitting again to see if that helps, but if these attacks continue I guess I need medication?  Literally feel like I could die, can't seem to control my breathing, etc.  Lasts for a good couple of minutes.

I did also recently go through a sort of resurfacing of some past trauma; something I'd burried pretty deep, and the panic attacks directly coincide with when that happened.  The resurfacing was fairly life changing to me, so maybe it's just that?  Some of my initial anxiety was revolving around that;  this feeling like I had no control over my emotions, like I could break down at any moment in mental anguish over it specifically.. but now the anxiety is less specific than that.  It can be anything I think about that isn't 100% positive all of a sudden turns into a world ending problem in my mind and then I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate.   My wife is out of town for a week and it's been really bad since she left, and I haven't told her because I don't want to ruin her trip... sucks.
riotoast, I love you, but DON'T DO THIS SHIT.
If the situation was reversed, you'd want to know and help. If she comes back and finds out she might be touched, but likely she'll be pissed. I know the feeling of "oh this is how I die apparently" when you have a really bad attack. For me it's mainly triggered by work stress. But the only way I made it was by letting those who love me, love me. I know the whole "I don't want to burden them" thing, believe me, that's a fight I still go through every day, but a friend taught me to think of it as if it were happening to my friend/wife. Wouldn't I want to know? Wouldn't I want to help? Wouldn't I be pissed if they tried to do it all on their own? Don't rob them of the opportunity to love you, even when you don't feel like you are easy to love. I don't know any other way to make it. Hang in there, and if you need to chat, hit me on PM. I had anxiety that bad last year and am still fighting it. So I feel ya. Hang in there.
que

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #494 on: March 28, 2019, 01:16:29 PM »
Been having crazy anxiety bouts this past month;  I've felt fairly "level headed" for a couple of years now after dealing with anxiety for a long time.

I had attributed the positive change to a change in jobs/employers which was good for me.. but this return of anxiety has coincided with my job going better than ever.   And it's way worse than before;  the swings are so incredibly wild, like going from feeling great, almost euphoric, to having near panic attacks. 

I did also stop smoking pot near the other positive change;  and took it back up this past November due to my migraines developing a nausea aspect to them. 

Gonna try quitting again to see if that helps, but if these attacks continue I guess I need medication?  Literally feel like I could die, can't seem to control my breathing, etc.  Lasts for a good couple of minutes.

I did also recently go through a sort of resurfacing of some past trauma; something I'd burried pretty deep, and the panic attacks directly coincide with when that happened.  The resurfacing was fairly life changing to me, so maybe it's just that?  Some of my initial anxiety was revolving around that;  this feeling like I had no control over my emotions, like I could break down at any moment in mental anguish over it specifically.. but now the anxiety is less specific than that.  It can be anything I think about that isn't 100% positive all of a sudden turns into a world ending problem in my mind and then I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate.   My wife is out of town for a week and it's been really bad since she left, and I haven't told her because I don't want to ruin her trip... sucks.

If you're going to stop smoking pot i'd definitely suggest you ween yourself off, because if it's masking other symptoms you don't want to get hit with everything all at once.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #495 on: March 29, 2019, 12:55:16 AM »
she needs to read less and like more. that's how the pros do it  :success

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #496 on: March 29, 2019, 05:23:07 AM »
Work is insanity. I'm losing critical resources on a project for the most toxic client I've come across in my entire career and that project is in a critical time and on top of that my company decided now is the time to put me in charge of not one, but two additional projects. I swear they're trying to kill me
que

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #497 on: March 29, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »
It's time to take me on as an unpaid intern :rejoice
每天生气

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #498 on: March 29, 2019, 03:52:05 PM »
body image issues can be a real bitch
püp

Propagandhim

« Reply #499 on: April 11, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »
Anyone here take Lexapro?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #500 on: April 11, 2019, 10:55:46 AM »
I do!
püp

Propagandhim

« Reply #501 on: April 11, 2019, 11:21:32 AM »
I do!

Just switched to it after weaning off Cymbalta.    Anxiety through the fucking roof.  Hopefully this shit wears off.  Can barely think.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #502 on: April 11, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »
Give it a few days – it evens out.  Getting back on can be a bitch.
püp

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #503 on: April 11, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »
I do!

Just switched to it after weaning off Cymbalta.    Anxiety through the fucking roof.  Hopefully this shit wears off.  Can barely think.

Did they start lexapro when you were taping off?
dur

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #504 on: April 11, 2019, 02:00:27 PM »

Ketamine infusions have been around for a bit at different psych centers. May want to look into it, ask your doc about a referral
dur

Propagandhim

« Reply #505 on: April 11, 2019, 03:36:48 PM »
I do!

Did they start lexapro when you were taping off?

Was off Cymbalta for a little over a year --  No antidepressants for the past year.  Kinda a disaster.  Went on Lexapro for the first time yesterday. 

Propagandhim

« Reply #506 on: April 11, 2019, 03:42:07 PM »
So you were doing OK then starting the pills caused more anxiety?

I was off medication for a little over a year and was not doing well.  Started Lexapro yesterday...and yeah, the anxiety is way worse than regular, but I suppose that's the initial adjustment period you have to muscle through.

Tasty

« Reply #507 on: April 11, 2019, 08:53:25 PM »
Wanted to come back in a better headspace, and I definitely am, but life around me has continued to degrade and I'm wondering how much longer I can hold out. Money's tighter than ever, a grandparent and family friend are possibly on their death-beads, pet animals from when I was growing up are getting old and sick, and I feel more creatively unfulfilled than ever before.

I'm steeling myself for my grandma's passing and advising other family members to do the same, because almost every day they tell me: "It couldn't possibly get worse."

Me, thinking about our three other still-living grandparents:

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #508 on: April 12, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »
This last month has been a frustrating backslide. 

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #509 on: April 12, 2019, 12:19:26 PM »
Birds of a feather?

Propagandhim

« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
why the fuck is seemingly everyone on this forum depressed :doge

Why would we stay on forums for 10+ years if something wasn't wrong with us?   :doge

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
What was I thinking no-one wants to read my sad-sack shit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:47:56 PM by Transhuman »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
Actually now that I think about it, it's all Trump's fault.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2019, 01:32:54 PM »
 :fbm
©@©™

Propagandhim

« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2019, 07:16:28 PM »
What was I thinking no-one wants to read my sad-sack shit.

Read it and I hear you loud and clear, dude.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #515 on: April 12, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »
Sharing is caring my friends  :heart

I'm not depressed myself but my bro has been dealing with it for a long time (he was bullied at a young age to a point that he now suffers from PTSD) and he kept it hidden for 15+ years. He's seeing a therapist and it is really improving his life.

My mom has a very severe depression for about 5 years now, mostly because of her terrible childhood (her mother died young, her father was an abusive alcoholic, split with her entire family except 1 sister, and she suffered from a ton of health problems over the years (cancer(which she beat), infections etc.).

Depressions suck but the best thing you can do is let it all out before it consumes you.  :fbm
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #516 on: May 08, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
Still on a backslide.  Really not doing too well and I'm so tired of it. 

shosta

« Reply #517 on: May 08, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
What's up? Thesis stuff again?
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #518 on: May 09, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
Grad school stuff is the major part it, but I've also had periods of depression since highschool so this is mostly the norm. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #519 on: June 19, 2019, 01:10:24 AM »
Recently I've been thinking about how my major issues/ personality faults have always been with me and its made it hard to think that they can change.  Like I have always been averse to competition and that's exactly what academia is. 

Rahxephon91

« Reply #520 on: June 21, 2019, 09:08:48 PM »
edit-nvm
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:35:28 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Bebpo

« Reply #521 on: June 29, 2019, 09:27:38 PM »
Been having a bit of a time where everything is fucked and I really need a fresh start.

-Got the summer flu that's going around about 2 weeks ago, knocked me out a bunch and got behind in work and sleep schedule thrown off because was sleeping a lot during the day on cold meds and couldn't sleep at night so was like sleeping at 4am waking at noon. Stopped exercising completely.

-Thought it was mostly cleared up and needed to fix my sleep schedule so tried working out last sunday. Ended up making it 5x worse the next day and missed the first few days of work this week and got even further behind. Sleep schedule even more messed up. Thought maybe migraines/depression was causing it to be worse than it is so upped my Nortriptyline from 30mg to 40mg.

-Also been drinking more caffeine than usual to make it through work days when I sleep at 4-5am and wake up at like 8-10am so that I can try to get stuff done instead of being totally out of it.

-Doing like 95% better again, and got fairly caught up at work in the last few days this week but haven't been taking on new work/cases since I got sick so behind on that. Had a first date set this morning with someone that seemed going well in texts and we talked on the phone mid week and there was good momentum going into this date. Also had a birthday day of one of my friends in my main friend group that was like from 11am until dinner thing.

-Last night couldn't sleep AT ALL. Was in bed at midnight but felt wide awake and nothing helped. By 5am I took some night mucinex to try to knock me out and even that just made me tired and I couldn't fall asleep. Ended up pulling an all-nighter initial but was so tired and a) not comfortable driving & b) feeling like if I go to my date I'm going to totally blow it being red eye'd on the edge of sleep and can't concentrate, so I texted my date about moving the date to another day. Ended up falling asleep around 10am and slept until about 3pm. By the time I tried to get a hold of my social friends about the birthday stuff they were pretty much done and all wasted and I was the only person in our friend group that didn't show.

-I have a really busy work week next week since short week with 4th of July holiday and sleep is still all fucked up and still not sure if can exercise. I feel like I probably fucked that date up and it's most likely not gonna end up happening which sucks because she was actually local and not 90 mins away and we got along well enough on the phone & I feel like I let my friends down by not showing for the birthday get together. Just feels like dating life is currently fucked, social life is a little fucked, work is still kinda fucked, sleep is fucked, oh and I've only been eating like 2 meals a day way too much because I have breakfast at like noon and am not hungry until night and then that's all I eat. And daily exercise is incredibly helpful for my mental health and feeling ok about things and managing life and I probably still shouldn't jump back into it because I still have sinus drip stuff and when I did this last week it really made it worse.

Right now my plans is:

1. Going to drop back from 40mg to 30mg on Nort in case it's giving me worse insomnia.
2. Going to take some night mucinex at like 9pm and see if there's any way possible I can knock out tonight at a normal midnight-1am time and wake up at 8am which is where I want to be normally.
3. If I can't fall asleep I'm gonna pull an all-nighter since I have no plans tomorrow and its sunday and just stay up until tomorrow night and try to get back on sleep schedule.
4. Next time I see my friend I'll give him his birthday present, already wished him a happy birthday.
5. For the date girl, I can try to set something up for monday night so there isn't too long of a delay and momentum loss. I actually had a real good date planned today specific to her interests at a museum that's open 10am-5pm which is near a fun foodie center. Not sure what a good night date would be but will figure something out. I had asked her if we could move today's date to tomorrow (sunday) but she said she had plans so "maybe during the week"; I feel like I probably fucked this up already, but if there's any chance of recovery I wanna go for it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2019, 12:44:59 PM »

I really related to this, as a famous Youtube personality. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #523 on: July 30, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
It's that time of the year again boys...and it's too hot  :-\  :(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #524 on: August 08, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »
Sorry buddy, hope things get better. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #525 on: August 09, 2019, 12:16:31 PM »
I'm back in the hole again.  Last week I thought I was doing a bit better but then I had to start working on my committee meeting again (which is a year late) and I have nothing to show.  It's killing me.  I have also started a really bad habit of drinking every night - four tall beers or so, which is obviously not good.  I've given up trying to eat right or really making any effort to go into work.  I'm really tired of this and I think while school might be the trigger this time, I don't think that I would be free of these depression swings if I wasn't in school, I would just have some other thing to stress about.  The worst part is I'm letting a whole bunch of people down with my behavior and I can't seem to stop it and I can't talk to them about it. 

shosta

« Reply #526 on: August 09, 2019, 02:04:26 PM »
Just quit and enjoy the good life making six figs in the private sector.
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #527 on: August 09, 2019, 04:58:56 PM »
Hang in there, Arv. Get high and do some carvings, those were really cool

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #528 on: August 11, 2019, 10:18:27 AM »
Skipping out on a friends birthday party today just because I'm so mentally drained.   Wanted to go too. 

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #529 on: August 13, 2019, 12:35:59 AM »
why the fuck is seemingly everyone on this forum depressed :doge

1) No money
2) No job prospects
Etc.

It's typical millennial (which most of this board is, with a few older farts that are GenX).

Since I've posted about it here in the past: I've gone off meds despite being prescribed them. I've been off them for a month or two now and... I don't feel any better or worse. In fact, my depression has been more or less the same, as it was before I started the two-year attempt on meds. The only "benefit" now is that I can actually fucking cry and feel something when the depression hits instead of it damming up until a crack in said dam happens and I start to cry.

I'd rather get these random bursts into crying than the prolongness, tbh.

And in any case: I do have a possible job offer, but given it's been two weeks since the interview, and they said they were still interviewing I'm going to be REALLY FUCKING ANGRY and sad if I get passed over on this since this job is something I've been looking for and really want.

In any case, my vacation is over tonight, so I should get to bed and then go to work tomorrow. Thing is: I hate my boss, like HATE. She micromanages EVERYTHING and gets on my case, and then turns around and does bullshit that she claims I shouldn't do (talks to coworkers when nobody is in the location, for instance) and it drives me up the fucking wall. Which is part of the reason I've been looking elsewhere.

But being discriminated against for absolutely no reason than asking for accommodations is infuriating and really demoralizing and it's basically caused me to waste a year on not actually looking elsewhere. Which is part of the reason why I'm holding out hope for this offer.

As it is, I can reach out to folks I used to talk to and then they never reply back. Which is... fucking awful. I can be there 24/7 for people, but none of these sumbitches are there when I need them to be.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #530 on: August 13, 2019, 12:47:51 AM »
No money? Who needs money, man, :pimp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #531 on: August 13, 2019, 03:27:45 AM »
Bill collectors for one. :gloomy
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #532 on: August 13, 2019, 09:31:13 AM »
Money doesn't solve all your problems, but it helps.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #533 on: August 16, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
Friends came to my apt and I ignored the buzzer because I can't really deal with people right now.  Shameful. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #534 on: August 16, 2019, 06:38:45 PM »
It frees up mental space to think about and be about other things.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #535 on: August 16, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
80% of my life's problems could be solved (or improved significantly) with money.
I guess if i lived alone and I was my only responsibility, it'd stress me out less, but the reasoning would still apply i think.

thisismyusername

« Reply #536 on: August 16, 2019, 07:51:01 PM »
I guess if i lived alone and I was my only responsibility, it'd stress me out less, but the reasoning would still apply i think.

Defintely applies in my case. SINK, but get paid like shit. And try as I might, doors slam in my face repeatedly.

It's crazy I haven't ate a bullet yet, especially at my age.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #537 on: August 16, 2019, 08:42:17 PM »
all is mind as they say

Defintely applies in my case. SINK, but get paid like shit. And try as I might, doors slam in my face repeatedly.

It's crazy I haven't ate a bullet yet, especially at my age.

You can't do it until Respawn implodes and you get to say something hurtful about Titanfall.  :-*

spoiler (click to show/hide)
In all seriousness I have to believe that man is more than his circumstances and has the ability to reach higher. I'm not ready to give up and I hope you're far from that point as well. Bless up.
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #538 on: August 16, 2019, 08:46:33 PM »
Give someone with poor mental health money and they might create themselves more problems from it. 

I know, cliche, but seen it happen.
Maybe i'm misinterpreting what we're talking about when we say "poor mental health", and every situation is different, so of course it's a case by case thing, but many cases of people being "depressed" is mostly a lack of future prospects (real or perceived) and more often than not, financial stress is a large part of that.

Also when i say "money" i'm not referring to winning the lottery either, just an amount that would make someone live comfortably, or at least not pay check to pay check.

When you're laying the tracks in front of the running train, it's just hard to imagine a way out of the hole.

thisismyusername

« Reply #539 on: August 16, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »
Please, Bernie, you have an election to win!

Don't worry.